closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which (flagship) Android phone thread

Which (flagship) Android phone thread

I thought I’d start a thread off as I know I’m not the only one who likes to keep up with the Joneses phones and I know there was a thread about the cheaper Chinese phones but I’m in the process of getting a new contract probably with o2 and want one of the premium phones.

Has anyone just seen the latest Huawei P20 release today? It looks the mutts and I’m seriously considering that or the Google Pixel 2xl, but although a really decent camera on the phone is important to me I honestly don’t think anyone would really use the amazing features on these cameras.

I have the Moto g5s Plus at the moment, a fantastic phone although the camera is a bit meh, but it was a stopgap and I want something a bit more upmarket now.

Im not really taken with Samsung S9, too expensive or the Sony XZ2 which left me a bit underwhelmed, I’d sooner try the Honor View10 over those two.
    Last edited by bigvic; 28th March 2018 at 20:05.

I'll follow this thread with a bit of interest, though I'm more interested in smaller android phones. currently have a Sony Z5 compact and I'm thinking of a change later in the year.

Wait 6 months the S9 will be 40% cheaper

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I've got a Huawei P10 Plus, not sure if O2 have it on contract, I bought this mainly for the 6GB ram and 128GB internal storage.

https://www.stuff.tv/huawei/p10-plus/review

Blog Entries
    I have had quite a few Android phones and Apple.

In terms of Samsung I had the S6 edge, S7, S8, and Note 8. However, the best Android phone I have had is the Pixel 2 XL.

Hopefully, the Pixel 3 will rival Samsung for their display and then it will be perfect !

Master
    I cannot fault my Lenovo (Motorola) Moto Z2 Play, with the Moto Power Pack mod it really goes the distance.

Quote Originally Posted by classics View Post
    I've got a Huawei P10 Plus, not sure if O2 have it on contract, I bought this mainly for the 6GB ram and 128GB internal storage.

https://www.stuff.tv/huawei/p10-plus/review

O2 does have it, via CarPhone Warehouse anyway, and up until a few days ago I was looking between that and the Huawei Mate10 pro.

How have do you rate it?

I loved my Moto Z, stock Android is superb

Huawei makes good phones nowadays and the past 2 generations flagships have had very good cameras. If you can handle that re***ded nothc on the screen and you like Huawei's P20 series definitely get the P20 or P20 Pro if you have the money for it. They'll serve you well and their cameras are even better than what they use to be last year (and those were good as well).

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Just had a look st the P20/Pro as I will be changing my nexus soon and if you pre order you get a free pair of Bose QC35.

Seems like a fair deal to me, if the phones passes muster.

Great thread, potentially 100's of different answers, pointless springs to mind.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    O2 does have it, via CarPhone Warehouse anyway, and up until a few days ago I was looking between that and the Huawei Mate10 pro.

How have do you rate it?
    I've been using the phone for 2 weeks now and is very fast compared to my old Samsung S6 Edge (2.5 years old) and iPhone 6S (work phone that I got at the start of 2018).

I found the phone/UI very easy to use, it took a couple of hours to get use to not having a bezel (back, home, close key is on screen).

The battery last over 24 hours even with heavy use of Whatsapp, Emails and general internet browsing, the "supercharger" for me can go from 20% to 50% in 20 mins, there is an option of power saving mode and an ultra power saving mode which an automatic notification appears when the battery gets to 20%.

I've only taken casual photos which has come out sharper and brighter than both S6 Edge & iPhone 6S but I'm no camera expert.

Getting to do a screen shot is easy compared to the 2 other phones.
    The only 2 things I don't like is (A) both the up/down volume and power button are not that far apart (B) the micro sd card slot is shared with sim card slot.

It comes with a clear plastic phone protector which is not that helpful for handling compared to a rubber phone protector.

I paid £449 for this sim free phone from CPWH and very happy with it.

My wife and I are extremely happy with our Samsung Note 8 models. Our university son decided on the Pixel 2+, and he is also quite satisfied.

Journeyman
    Outsider choice is the LG V30 great phone, it is like a google pixel 2XL in a slightly smaller frame. Similar specs to the s8 by Samsung but beats it on sound. If you like to listen to music on your phone then you cannot find a better phone in my opinion. The camera is good in manual mode or with the google cam app side loaded.Hasn’t got the best selfie camera but apparently Oreo improves it a lot.

It has a 6 inch screen but feels nice in the hand. Slightly wider than the Samsung’s and less tall but seems more natural to me. The screen is OLED which means it sips battery power. I get 4days. If I have low usage or I get a full day if I use it heavily. To put it in to context I can listen to music all morning and it will use approx 5% battery. If I also do some web surfing then it will use 7%. I used waze on battery only for 3hrs and it used 50% battery. On other phones that would have killed them.

I've got my son's old phone - an LG G6. It is superb. So much better than the Apple phones that I've had for years. I can't believe I didn't change earlier.

Everyone has their own tastes, so many good phones now. But already in this thread we've had £1000 phones get a mention and also 200 quid phones. Only way to have a serious discussion is to agree a price point for discussion. And then decide on what Android you want to discuss, stock or skins, then decide dual or single sim. Then decide what is more important, power, speed, battery, screen, camera.
    When narrowed down like this its worthwhile discussing the 3 or 4 phones that fall into the bracket.

Thing is there are so many great phones to choose from.

The S9 is indisputably the best Android phone right now. But it isnt if you want the best camera. It isnt if you want stock Android etc etc

I’ve changed the title of this thread as I did say in the first post I was looking for a premium phone and there already was a cheap Chinese phone thread a little while back.

I almost made my mind up to go for the Honor View10 (or maybe the Pixel 2xl...) but overnight mobiles.co.uk has knocked the Huawei P20 Pro down to £802 over 2 years & the free Bose headphones! That’s 4gb data & unlimited talk & texts.

i hope the Bose offer doesn’t turn out to be like the Hoover free flights to USA offer years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    The S9 is indisputably the best Android phone right now. But it isnt if you want the best camera. It isnt if you want stock Android etc etc

I would be interested to know what does have the best camera. I am keen on a S9+ mainly for the camera.

Cheers

Reviews seem to indicate Pixel 2 IPhone X and S9+ are very close but Pixel edges it

Thanks Dave - just been doing some reading about the P20 Pro and that looks like its camera could be a new benchmark. For some reason the Pixel 2 hasnt really appealed, wonder how far of the Pixel 3 is.

Im a tart, its all about how the phone feels in the hand, and the quality of the screen, so the 9+ suits me ( and is dual sim )

The P20 Pro looks awesome, so many to choose from.

Is the Uk retail version of the S9+ dual Sim even on contract, thats fantastic if so?

Its standard dual Sim bought direct from Samsung, i assume contract phones are the same

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Great thread, potentially 100's of different answers, pointless springs to mind.
    Thanks for your contribution. Why make the post ?

Move along !

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Thanks Dave - just been doing some reading about the P20 Pro and that looks like its camera could be a new benchmark. For some reason the Pixel 2 hasnt really appealed, wonder how far of the Pixel 3 is.
    Pixel 3 due October 2018 according to this write-up:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/pixel-3...ews-26647.html

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    I would be interested to know what does have the best camera. I am keen on a S9+ mainly for the camera.

Cheers
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/08hdhinj4q...82919.jpg?dl=0

Took this pic yesterday, straight from phone

Even if you're getting a new contract it is generally still cheaper to buy the phone outright then get a SIM only contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    Pixel 3 due October 2018 according to this write-up:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/pixel-3...ews-26647.html
    Thanks Alpha, too far away for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/08hdhinj4q...82919.jpg?dl=0

Took this pic yesterday, straight from phone

Fantastic shot Dave. Been doing some reading on the P20 Pro over the last hour and find its camera very impressive. Its almost a camera that's comes with a phone and that would suit my useage just fine. PO before 5 April and there is an offer of a free set of wireless Bose QC headphones too, those would be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    Thanks for your contribution. Why make the post ?

Move along !
    You're welcome, simply to point out that there will be as many opinions as there are android phones, but no matter .
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

It's worth taking a look at flagship discussions on Reddit pick an Android for me too https://www.reddit.com/r/PickAnAndroidForMe/

NO idea if its considered flagship or not, but I recently got the Oneplus 5t from O2.

its big, screen is good, does lots of stupid things I am sure I will never figure out but its plenty good enough for me and much cheaper when compared to the Iphone x and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan-arch View Post
    NO idea if its considered flagship or not, but I recently got the Oneplus 5t from O2.

its big, screen is good, does lots of stupid things I am sure I will never figure out but its plenty good enough for me and much cheaper when compared to the Iphone x and the like.
    I'd 2nd that opinion in respect of Oneplus. I have a 3T and have been very pleased with in terms of quality and performance. As far as Specs go at the time it was certainly close to flagship phone and at £400 brand new unlocked was substantially cheaper than the equivalent Iphone. Build quality also very good.

Though just for balance its worth noting that 18 months on it is worth at least £200 less than an equivalent pre-owned Iphone so whilst you save money upfront its unlikely to be worth much at the end of the typical 24 months contract period.

I suspect that's the same for the Honor and Huawei phones as well but I could be wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by jordan-arch View Post

OnePlus 5T is still OP’s flagship phone, I owned the OnePlus One when it first came out and loved it, well up until they started to update and tweek their operating system. It drove me bonkers and I sold it but I’d consider another in the future now their OxygenOS system has improved.

In the meantime I’ve taken a punt on the Huawei P20 Pro, it should arrive in the next week or so. Worst case I’ll have another cracking pair of headphones.

OnePlus 5T is still OP’s flagship phone, I owned the OnePlus One when it first came out and loved it, well up until they started to update and tweek their operating system. It drove me bonkers and I sold it but I’d consider another in the future now their OxygenOS system has improved.

In the meantime I’ve taken a punt on the Huawei P20 Pro, it should arrive in the next week or so. Worst case I’ll have another cracking pair of headphones.
    I saw that deal with a offer for a free pair of Bose QC35 which seemed a remarkably good offer when it's a great looking phone as well.

Good choice Vic, please let us know what you think of it. By the time you receive yours, I may have already taken the plunge myself.

Master
    Just moved from a Samsung Galaxy S8 to a Blackberry Keyone, prior to the S8 I had a Blackberry Priv, before that a Blackberry Passport and before that the Blackberry Q10.

The S8 was a good phoine which I'd recommend, I'm just one of those diehard weird ones that likes a physical keyboard, if I hadn't had the misfortune to have the Priv nicked I'd probably not have got the S8 in the first place, I needed a phine at short notice and it was an easy one to get hold of.

Now BB has the android operating system its a much better proposition, is it a great phone comparatively to the Samsung etc, i doubt it but I don't ask for much from a phone and the BB is good enough for me.

You can buy a physical keyboard for the S8

Master
    Being a user of the Mate 10 pro, I can confirm the images I get are already fantastic so this triple sensor of the P20 Pro will make this THE camera phone to get. Only thing stopping me is that the UK version is likely to be only single sim.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Being a user of the Mate 10 pro, I can confirm the images I get are already fantastic so this triple sensor of the P20 Pro will make this THE camera phone to get. Only thing stopping me is that the UK version is likely to be only single sim.
    I couldn't find any confirmation about single or dual sim, it’s not a deal breaker for me, it’s been useful when traveling abroad when I have had the option but I haven’t missed it.

Master
    I couldn't find any confirmation about single or dual sim, it’s not a deal breaker for me, it’s been useful when traveling abroad when I have had the option but I haven’t missed it.
    Here's the specs. Like the mate 10 pro, the UK only got the single SIM version. Below you can see that the single SIM version doesn't come in "Twilight" which is the funky bluey purple colour in a lot of reviews. CPW, 02, and Three only have the black and blue colour options for ordering so I'm deducing only the single SIM version is available.

https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/phone...ro/tech-specs/

HUAWEI P20 Pro Single SIM:
    Nano-SIM
    Available in Black and Midnight Blue.

HUAWEI P20 Pro Dual SIM:
    Nano-SIM + Nano-SIM
    Available in Black, Midnight Blue and Twilight.

I ordered a P20 Pro this morning after spending a good amount of time reading the early reviews. It is all about the camera for me (it is reputed to have class-leading battery life and excellent sound too). The pre order deal gives you a free pair of Bose NC headphones which will come in very handy too so a great deal.

As a dSLR iser for many years, I recently switched to a Fuji XT2. The AI technology in this phone really is extraordinary and the future for cameras. How long before a conventional camera will be something only needed for that rare situation where the phone tech just cannot get the shot (or sports). Someone started a thread here a few months ago asking how long it would be before the smartphone killed the cemra, i dont think it is that far away tbh.

This is the most informative review I have read about the camera. For the first time I am actually excited about getting a new phone

https://www.androidpit.com/huawei-p20-pro-review

Well I’m certainly impressed with the P20pro so far. Lighter and slimmer than my Moto G5s Plus, fantastic 6” screen, the sound is great through my Bluetooth earphones, battery still at 45% from yesterday morning and the camera is great.
    Ive only managed a few pics but here’s a few using the telephoto mode from just before ko at today’s dire game against Stratford Utd.

Looking forward to getting the Bose headphones now.

I had the P20 Pro delivered on Friday from Vodafone. 16gb of data, unlimited minutes and text for £130 up front and £26.50 per month on an upgrade ( no headphones though ) great phone and an amazing camera. Another phone of interest the gf has got is the Oneplus 5t which is a very capable phone with the 6 being released shortly

Received my P20 Pro a little while ago and finally got it set up over the weekend using Huawei's excellent Phone Clone App which made transferring all data and Apps over from my S8 a cinch. First impressions are that is it is excellent and pretty much in line with what the reviews have said. Camera is fantastic but I need more time to understand the settings to get the most from it. The screen and software are as good as my S8. It looks and feels like a premium phone and the notch is something I stopped noticing after about 10 mins of use (you can hide it anyway). I love the front mounted fingetrprint button, it unlocks instantaneously every time, it is so fast that at first I was testing it with other people and my non registered fingers before I was sure it was even working properly such is its speed. I also setup face recognition but it is so instant and seems to detect my face at all angles and light to the point where I disabled it because my phone was unlocking everytime I held it anywhere near my face! I am sure it is not as secure as Apples system but impressive none the less.

One unexpected issue I found was with Strava which would consistently stop recording an activity 5-10 minutes in. A quick Google found that Huawei's have had issues with Strava for a while now, something to do with the GPS beacon and the way the phones manage power use. Anyway, I disabled all power management on Strava and ever since it has been reliable so fingers crossed that is now resoplved.

Overall, a great buy this especially with the Bose headphone offer thrown in for those who pre-ordered
    Last edited by mondie; 8th May 2018 at 16:55.

Journeyman
    I would recommend One Plus, without hesitation. Flagship performance for a much smaller set of digits. Simple google will show how well they have been reviewed

Master
    How are people getting on with the P20 and P20 pros?
    Just been offered a deal on an upgrade that works out cheaper than buying a one plus and a sim only package.
    Unlike when I upgraded the kids phones it was cheaper to buy sim free and get a monthly sim only package

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Master
    I've just upgraded from a Galxy Note 5 to a Note 8. The Note 8 is an awesome bit of kit, great screen, camera and the pen function, for me, is brilliant. Not the cheapest but bought it SIM free and I only pay £12 a month with a BT SIM so it's all good👍

I'm very impressed with my Hauwei P10 Plus.
    Bought this when I sold my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and don't regret it at all!!!.
    I believe the new P20 can take photos in near darkness (whether that's a must have feature I'm not really sure?)

My iPhone 6plus is playing up. Won't respond to touch. Randomly scrolls through screens, sends messages and FaceTime all at once. I'm dumping Apple. Getting shut of the MacBook Pro
    Had iPhone since the original (still got it) plus still got this 5 which is lucky.
    Thinking Huwaei P20 pro as next purchase!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    How are people getting on with the P20 and P20 pros?
    Just been offered a deal on an upgrade that works out cheaper than buying a one plus and a sim only package.
    Unlike when I upgraded the kids phones it was cheaper to buy sim free and get a monthly sim only package

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    I have a P20 lite and I’m very happy with it. Not technically a flagship phone but it’s doing everything I need and I prefer the rear placement of the fingerprint scanner on the lite. Camera is good and the rest of the phone (incl. face recognition) does exactly what it says on the tin.