closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nespresso Vertuo

Nespresso Vertuo

Has anybody else bought one?

Having seen the tv adverts, and being one who enjoys a nice crema on my coffee, I was tempted, and a couple of weeks ago I was dithering aimlessly around West Quay in Southampton, where Nespresso have a stand to entrap wandering coffee lovers and ply them with their new range.

It worked. One very strong, rich espresso and a frothy latte later, and I was hooked. Right now they have reduced the price of the machines, and you can get £40 of vouchers to stock up on the (admittedly pricey) capsules. And I happened to have some John Lewis vouchers as well...

I already had a Nespresso machine, and just bought capsules from Waitrose, M&S or Costco rather than the original Nespresso versions - Nespresso capsules produce nice coffee, although the M&S Columbian became my favourite. The Dualit capsules from Costco are really only for giving to people that you don't like very much.

The Vertuo capsules are much larger than the originals, and not far short of double the price, but those I have tried so far have produced far superior coffee, with a lovely thick crema. There appears to be a good range available as well. My original machine continues to serve for everyday use, but the Vertuo is a special treat.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

I saw these as well in Solihull. Arnt they just like 2 of the normal
    Pods put together ? Because I always have 2 purple in my drinks
    Think it’s exactly the same coffee though ?
    May be wrong.
    Shame the bigger pods won’t work on my machine

I tried a sample in one of the boutiques while buying some normal capsules... I'd been going on at my wife that I want to try them as I love the frothy 'crema' and you get loads on these.

WOW it was strong! and I only drink coffee black from Nespresso [Flat White out and about]. I'd say from my limited tasting, if you like strong coffee, this is the way to go.

I'd love to have one, but we have a small kitchen and my Mrs said it was one or the other, and you already have the one (so the other has to wait!!)

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    they just like 2 of the normal Pods put together ? Because I always have 2 purple in my drinks
    Think it’s exactly the same coffee though ?
    I think its an entirely new system, there are barcodes on them and I think it spins the capsules while making the brew (could be wrong). But its all to do with getting more coffee and larger 'froth' from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    There appears to be a good range available as well.
    I think they make all the current range of coffees varieties in the Vertuo format too... I'm assuming thats 15 odd varieties?
    Last edited by OliverCD; 27th March 2018 at 12:31.

Just looked it up... 23 varieties. plus 2 limited editions.

Much more limited on the Decaffe, with only the red one which has been discontinued in the older machines now.

Just had a look myself. The new style bigger capsules look excellent.
    Shame you have to buy a new machine

Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    But its all to do with the patent expiring on the original capsules.
    FTFY

I'd say from my limited tasting, if you like strong coffee, this is the way to go.
    even at double the size its still only 10g of ground coffee compared to 20g in a standard double basket espresso machine (as used in cafés)
    so its not strong compared to real espresso.
    a smart move by Nestle though, get your customers to buy a new machine and use more expensive pods, i guess you could say its better for the environment as there is less waste with the 1 big capsule over 2 standard for the same size drink.

Craftsman
    Nestle launched the Vertuoline in the US back in 2014, primarily to address the US's different tastes. US consumers want larger (and hotter) coffee - there's almost twice as much coffee in a Vertuo pod to an original pod and the standard cup size it makes is twice the size

As said above, the addittion of patented technology to the Vertoline is surely coincidental to the patents for the original pod beginning to expire in 2012 :)`
    Last edited by Stevoc; 27th March 2018 at 15:04.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    even at double the size its still only 10g of ground coffee compared to 20g in a standard double basket espresso machine (as used in cafés)
    so its not strong compared to real espresso.
    14-16g typically, with a Flat White being a Latté with 3 espressos instead of 2.
    Coffee strength is related to the roast profile, bean type (Robusta or Arabica), and region where the bean was grown.

^ Does this make the coffee hotter as well? Good to know it does.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    14-16g typically, with a Flat White being a Latté with 3 espressos instead of 2.
    Coffee strength is related to the roast profile, bean type (Robusta or Arabica), and region where the bean was grown.
    There's another potential world of debate around this (both dose and your flat white 'recipe'), which I appreciate takes this off topic a bit.
    In most independent (third wave/specilty) coffee shops, you're more likely to see 18g-20g in, and a flat white is similar to a latte with less milk (still 2 shots, but into a 5-6oz drink and no foam)
    Strength is a function of how much water and coffee you use, rather than a flavour profile resulting from roast/origin etc.
    It's somewhat inaccurately used to describe darker roasted coffee beans that have taken on flavour notes of the roast, rather that the bean itself

(I suspect the coffee world can be as fanatical as the horological one)

As an ex-Nespresso user, I continue to be impressed with how they're impacting the market for coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by adz313 View Post
    As an ex-Nespresso user, I continue to be impressed with how they're impacting the market for coffee.
    Just curious as to why you’re an ex-Nespresso user, if you do not mind my asking? Ive been thinking about getting a home coffee set-up, and the Nespresso system looks really easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Argon View Post
    Just curious as to why you’re an ex-Nespresso user, if you do not mind my asking? Ive been thinking about getting a home coffee set-up, and the Nespresso system looks really easy.
    that is the nespresso advantage, its quick, very simple to use and entirely consistent capsule after capsule.

it’s not good value or high quality coffee, you are essentially paying the same or more per kilo as speciality coffee but for bulk roasted commodity coffee, the cost of entry is cheap (for the machine) but the pods are expensive on a £/kg comparison.

i’ll also hazard a guess as to why ads is an ex user, simply by using there words ‘speciality’ and ‘roast profile’ plus knowing its over roasted marks you down as a third wave coffee aficionado
    Last edited by MrSmith; 27th March 2018 at 15:10.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    that is the nespresso advantage, its quick, very simple to use and entirely consistent capsule after capsule.

it’s not good value or high quality coffee, you are essentially paying the same or more per kilo as speciality coffee but for bulk roasted commodity coffee, the cost of entry is cheap (for the machine) but the pods are expensive on a £/kg comparison.

i’ll also hazard a guess as to why ads is an ex user, simply by using there words ‘speciality’ and ‘roast profile’ plus knowing its over roasted marks you down as a third wave coffee aficionado
    I'm certainly not an aficionado - but have moved on to something somewhere between nespresso and commercial level kit.
    It's certainly more involved (single dose grinding, using fresh beans from about a week post roast, and using a small espresso machine).

Argon - the Nespresso is certainly convenient, quick, and produces an acceptable drink in comparison to instant, but a desire to replicate the drinks I can get in good coffee shops has meant I've moved on (though my true preference is hand pour filter rather than espresso based).

It means my morning coffee takes closer to 10 minutes (machine warming, espresso, steam milk - repeat for SWMBO) than the 1-2 minutes the nespresso took.
    But to me, it's worth it - of course YMMV

MrSmith - only over-roasted to my taste, not necessarily to the wider population!

Thanks, both. Knowing my penchant for higher quality, I’ll investigate other options.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Argon View Post
    Thanks, both. Knowing my penchant for higher quality, I’ll investigate other options.
    No problem - depending on the depth of your pockets, worth spending some time on home-barista.com/ which is your side of the pond based on your location.

https://theroasterspack.com/ should give you a starter for finding better coffee from Canada

Quote Originally Posted by adz313 View Post
    No problem - depending on the depth of your pockets, worth spending some time on home-barista.com/ which is your side of the pond based on your location.

https://theroasterspack.com/ should give you a starter for finding better coffee from Canada
    Many thanks, adz - this is very helpful.

Master
    I got one as a gift at Xmas and I've been very impressed. I had an old Nespresso machine which hadn't been used in years, but this one is the business. Capsules come in 5 different sizes - espresso, double espresso, cup (150ml), mug (230ml) and bucket (450 or something crazy like that!)

Their 'double espresso scuro' is delicious and I really like the stronger 150ml option. Only downside is my coffee intake has shot up since I got it. Which depending on what day it is, is either good or bad for my health.

In terms of the cost, it's expensive compared to other home coffee options, but I find myself visiting the local Costa far less than I used to, so saving on that front!

Currys were having a good deal on these over the weekend, in Ireland at least it was €30 less than the official Nespresso deal. Nice machine, and good for mug of coffee as opposed to espresso/lungo.

I’ve only ever used these things in pretentious hotel rooms where there’s no alternative provided and the result always seems to be a tepid (at best) cup of sludge.

I’ve started nicking Nescafé sachets from other hotels and keeping them in my shaving bag for emergencies.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I’ve only ever used these things in pretentious hotel rooms where there’s no alternative provided and the result always seems to be a tepid (at best) cup of sludge.

I’ve started nicking Nescafé sachets from other hotels and keeping them in my shaving bag for emergencies.
    Unlikely they were a Vertuo machine- and never any sludge in my normal Nespresso coffee and always a decent temp.

I used to have a Gaggia espresso machine and ground beans etc. but the convenience of Nespresso won me over. Yes the traditional way is best and maybe when I retire I’ll go back.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Unlikely they were a Vertuo machine- and never any sludge in my normal Nespresso coffee and always a decent temp.

I used to have a Gaggia espresso machine and ground beans etc. but the convenience of Nespresso won me over. Yes the traditional way is best and maybe when I retire I’ll go back.
    Hotels seem to have std Nespresso machines or the "professional" ones (also found in airport lounges, car showrooms etc.) I think the main point of the "professional" (in a sort of foil sealed disc) is to prevent pilfering rather than improve the coffee experience.

The new system is clearly meant to improve the experience whilst retaining the capsule business for Nespresso.