closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Last of the best manual 'sports' cars

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Seven
    As above , but depends how hardcore you like you motoring, a Caterham will do most from B road pootling to full on track car

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    Surely an Alfa 4C is the answer? Modern car but no power steering, aids can be mostly turned off, can be re-mapped...
    One lives down the road from me - as well as being a great drivers' car, it's absolutely drop dead gorgeous to look at. Stunning.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    Surely an Alfa 4C is the answer? Modern car but no power steering, aids can be mostly turned off, can be re-mapped...
    One lives down the road from me - as well as being a great drivers' car, it's absolutely drop dead gorgeous to look at. Stunning.

How much talent does the OP have and what does he favour - front or rear wheel drive?

Also what does he intend to do with it?

Important stuff given the budget I would have thought.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    How much talent does the OP have and what does he favour - front or rear wheel drive?

Also what does he intend to do with it?

Important stuff given the budget I would have thought.
    Fair points. £50k opens up loads of options.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    A nice BMW CSL is worth a shout too
    Not a manual though.

A Toyota GT86, and spend the rest of your budget on watches.

Craftsman
    S1/S2 Exige or VXR220

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Not a manual though.
    Depends on the version...

Recently moved to an Elise 220 late last year, great car to drive, fantastic gear box

Looking forward to the nice weather to enjoy it a little more, rather than the snow of late!

Could you pick up a Ferrari 360 at £50k ish?

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post

Please show me where I can get one of those for £50k.

Blog Entries
    No chance. Just reminding to the fact that there's more between heaven and earth when it comes to CLS's!

I guy I know owns one.I've seen it happen with my own eyes: a German classic car trader came to the workshop to collect a TR6. A -similar to this colour- totally original CLS was parked in front of the shop. The trader rushed in, asked who the owner was and whipped out a wallet, offering 100K cash for the car. The owner didn't sell it. (Drifting off topic here, the CLS owner has an original M1, an original E30 M3 for the circuit and a modern day 3-series - non of them for less than 50K).

No chance.
    Exactly.

So the poster was obviously referring to the e46 M3 CSL. Which doesn’t come in a manual.

Which is one of two of the OP’s criteria: manual & £50k. Innit?!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m selling a lovely manual sports car just now on the FS side. Bmw z3m with manual box and all original. Very low miles on the M3 engine too. Check it out if you like

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by BCD View Post
    In people's opinion what would the last of the best manual sports car be?
    I'm talking limited electronic aids and a proper gear stick! I'm currently looking for options for something abit more engaging for weekend use only. Currently have a mk3 focus RS which is outstanding, but it's abit too good in some respects, very linear and smooth but abit too gimmicky as far as all the electronics go. Thoughts?

Me too. In fact I'll have a couple.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    A Toyota GT86, and spend the rest of your budget on coke & hookers.
    THIS

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    MR2 Roadster is a proper drive for very little money.
    Yes they are!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

E46 M3 Cs. Under budget, great to drive and prices only going one way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Cars purpose is more of a occasional trackday, weekend away - suitcase in the back(so 200mile day trip) and odd run up to the welsh mountain roads on a summers day.

I have considered a Honda integra DC2 or DC5 , problem is to get them up to the speed/power im used to it would need some heavy modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
    Some really good reads in here thanks! Will study in more detail over the long weekend.

Master

R400 duratec on throttle bodies perfect balance of power and handling for me.
    Best drivers car I've ever owned, you literally feel what's going on through the tillets and the seat of your pants.
    Only real downside is realistically it's a fair weather weekend car only, but awesome when you actually get to drive it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An option I have considered is buy something like this ; https://www.6two1.com/6TWO1-Blog/rev...-ek9-track-car for track use , and keep the Rs for road trips etc..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Sadly, I’m having to put up my 250 Cup for sale very soon......it’s yellow, like this one. 鸞

tell me more :-) I might be interested... getting rid of my 220 was one of my worse car selling decisions. :-( My Defender ranks as number one though :-( Sigh....

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    MR2 Roadster is a proper drive for very little money.
    I know a couple of people who have these with 2litre supercharged Celica engines in.

BMW Z3M Coupe - manual, very fast, RWD, challenging to drive, truely an enthusiasts car, a rare car produced in extremely small numbers with very few now remaining, very much the last of the "engineer designed" cars built without compromise with no marketing plan and not planned for production; no stability control and the only traction control is the weather report on the radio, a true classic of a car and an appreciating asset; who knows where the value of these will end up. A budget of up to £50k would buy you the very best example but not for very much longer I suspect.

Oh and the looks; well it's a marmite car you either love them or hate them but you can't disagree that they have a real presence on the road and a petrolhead status way above their current price point. I love them, always have.

Quote Originally Posted by dustybottoms View Post
    BMW Z3M Coupe - manual, very fast, RWD, challenging to drive, truely an enthusiasts car, a rare car produced in extremely small numbers with very few now remaining, very much the last of the "engineer designed" cars built without compromise with no marketing plan and not planned for production; no stability control and the only traction control is the weather report on the radio, a true classic of a car and an appreciating asset; who knows where the value of these will end up. A budget of up to £50k would buy you the very best example but not for very much longer I suspect.

Oh and the looks; well it's a marmite car you either love them or hate them but you can't disagree that they have a real presence on the road and a petrolhead status way above their current price point. I love them, always have.
    I love them but don't fit or would have had one years ago. The whole story about how the car came about is good too.
    "A man of little significance"

A Boxster spyder if you can find one and stretch to it?
    Pretty hardcore if my memory of a quick spin serves me correctly
    On the plus side,I can’t see these dropping in value much
    911 virgin have a cracking spec low mileage one for sale
    Now,maybe I should......

http://www.911virgin.com/porschefors...rSpyderManual/
    Last edited by GOAT; 27th March 2018 at 14:59.

Apprentice
    Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm selling a roadster (with hard top too) version if anyone is interested (on FS Section)

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I love them but don't fit or would have had one years ago. The whole story about how the car came about is good too.
    Good point to mention regards being able to fit in one, there is very little seat adjustment because of the rear bulkhead. As you say the story about how they came to be is great and is something that just doesn't happen anymore.

One other positive I forgot to mention, because they are a shooting-brake they are perfect if you have a dog. Bizarrely; transporting a dog (at warp speed it seems) was something they were designed to do and the Z3M Coupe includes a retractable dog guard as standard, brilliant!

Lotus Carlton anybody?

https://youtu.be/6yptiCYBSZo
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Lotus Carlton anybody?

Granite Quarry had one, didn't he? I remember the furore when the car was first unveiled. People were worried that once the cars were a few years old they would end up in the hands of minicab drivers, like every other Carlton ever made.

According to "How Many Left" there were 70 licensed and 118 SORN as at Q3 2017.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Any Noble M12
    Agreed

Or a Lotus Exige.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Lotus Carlton anybody?

should do 180mph, with the advantage you can take four friends along for the ride.

This would be my choice too, my old man has had one from new and only uses it to travel to the south of France on holiday. The 60k it has done have been trouble for the last 18 years, although Id say at least 50k of those have been sat on the motorway and or European A roads. Mum wouldnt let him sell if if he wanted to!
    I have had my hands on it a few times, going over the Stelvio and through the Black forest, it really is a very capable and enjoyable car to drive, not far off the performance of a Ferrari F355 in the real world. On track might be a different story, but I have never had an opportunity to really put an M Coupe through its paces.
    I cant really add much to the comments of others really, although in its day it was widely regarded as one of the best drivers cars out there.
    On the looks side of things, it took me a while to appreciate the styling, but I completely 'get it' now.

There are a lot of high mileage abused ones out there but fortunately there is a tell tale sign if this has been the case! Get a good one and unless the market crashes, you will be riding around in a sound investment.

At £50k I'd probably look at Porsche Cayman, or Lotus Exige, or Ariel Nomad/Atom, or Caterham 7; depends how basic and bonkers you want it.

The obvious Caterham/Westfields.

In the more mainstream and affordable:

E46 M3
    Porsche 986 Boxster (987 is good but far far too easy to drive)
    Any MX5
    Any TVR
    Cayman R
    997 and previous GT3(RS)
    Honda S2000.
    E39 M5 is an excellent example of an analogue car of that type.
    Any Lotus built after 1996.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    and previous GT3(RS)
    For £50k - you're having a laugh?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Sorry yeah, just ran away reeling off cars and the budget completely fell out of mind - don't waste your time looking for a GT3, obviously

Master
    no one has mentioned the 106GTI

was always a steal for the money

Quote Originally Posted by KGB1961 View Post
    Load of crap (perpetuated by Mr Clarkson).

Have you ever owned a Lotus?

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Granite Quarry had one, didn't he? I remember the furore when the car was first unveiled. People were worried that once the cars were a few years old they would end up in the hands of minicab drivers, like every other Carlton ever made.

According to "How Many Left" there were 70 licensed and 118 SORN as at Q3 2017.
    Indeed I did have a Lotus Type 104, had it for four years yet only did 500 miles, and most of them were to the garage for bloody repairs!

Beast of a car which does 60mph in 1st and thunders on to 187mph verified top end. Just too much trouble, a multitude of pump systems and radiators to keep it cool so sensors, valves and seals left right and centre under the bonnet. Nice colour though, not black nor BRG as commonly stated but Imperial Green code 36L is the name. Oh how I used to know all the details on these

They should be worth way more than they are considering the 650 or so RHD that were made, but I think their inherent risk is keeping values reigned in compared to the vintage RS gear etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    THIS
    3rd vote for this, you could spec a brand new one to the hilt and still have change left over.
    Go for the manual and chuck it down a b road.

If you wanted something different get the Subura BRZ.

Or a secondhand RX8 and save yourself 10 grand for better performance :)

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KGB1961 View Post

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    Less of that utter sh1te

Lots of Thrills Usually Smiling

Last of the unassisted sportscars

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Or a secondhand RX8 and save yourself 10 grand for better performance :)
    That 10 grand won't go very far with the amount of oil and petrol that you'd be buying :-)

Quote Originally Posted by BCD View Post
    Cars purpose is more of a occasional trackday, weekend away - suitcase in the back(so 200mile day trip) and odd run up to the welsh mountain roads on a summers day.

I have considered a Honda integra DC2 or DC5 , problem is to get them up to the speed/power im used to it would need some heavy modifications.

Some really good reads in here thanks! Will study in more detail over the long weekend.

I which case and given the budget, then I would suggest a 968 Club Sport.

Very capable on a track and road.
    Lots of other enthusiasts and hence lots of events to attend. A very social car.
    Big enough to get a case in the back.
    Lots of Specialists and forums for support and servicing.
    Lots of aftermarket and OEM spares available
    Lots of performance upgrades - if required.
    Lots of kudos in the parking lot.
    will only increase in value.

Only downside is finding a good and orginal car.

A slightly cheaper option would be a 944 Turbo or 968 Club.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Most wouldn’t class it as an out and out sports car, but it’s a very capable Gt. and as I’ve found out, pretty good on track.

6 speed manual, 450bhp, recaros and magnaride suspension 6 piston Brembos and a 3 year warranty. Brand new for £45k ish

Load of crap (perpetuated by Mr Clarkson).

Have you ever owned a Lotus?
    Agree strongly with your view. The best car I have ever driven by far was an S1 Elise and I’ve driven Porsche’s (which I love) and Ferrari’s amongst other wonderful cars, but as a pure drivers car the S1 Elise is astounding, as for my daily driver it’s an MX5 which is also sublime. The only other car to come close was my old 1987 Corolla GT Coupe (AE86) which was monumental. I just find modern cars have too much weight, too much assistance and nannying software, generally too much grip and feel pretty dull; granted they’ll be monstrously fast and capable but there’s a level of safety and remoteness which hampers driving enjoyment. I’ve driven two GT86’s and really wanted to like them but the 2.0 engine is woeful and spoils the whole experience. The Z3M on this site is gonna be a surefire bet for pure enjoyment and is a rapidly appreciating future classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caterham.
    Unless you have big feet.