timefactors watches
Results 1 to 37 of 37

Thread: Best Nato

  1. #1
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    103

    Best Nato

    Anyone recommend a top quality Nato?

  2. #2
    Budget?

  3. #3
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Budget?
    No limit really. Looking for an 18mm lug width though.

  4. #4
    Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    4,301
    I'm not sure what your definition of 'quality' is for a NATO but I've found Phoenix to be the best all-rounder.

  5. #5
    Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Posts
    6,687
    Another vote for Phoenix here.

  6. #6
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    103
    Thanks guys.

  7. #7
    Apprentice JoHW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    6
    Looks like you have the answer you need but I’ll add another “tick” in the Phoenix box.... ;-)


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  8. #8
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,420

    Phoenix are the best and I have tried most.

  9. #9
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up a creek
    Posts
    28,479
    Our good host sells extremely good Natos.

  10. #10
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    21
    Timefactors


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Grand Master Foxy100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Die Fuchsröhre
    Posts
    12,231
    I have a few Phoenix but find Eddie's are more comfortable and don't fray. Even better they cost about half as much.
    You can live in your car but you can't drive your house.

  12. #12
    Grand Master Seamaster73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    GB
    Posts
    14,949
    Money no object: Omega

    Best of the rest: Timefactors Deluxe

    Best of the cheap ones: Phoenix

  13. #13
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    103
    I really like the Omega and Timefacters Deluxe. The black and orange would suit perfectly but, neither are available in 18mm unfortunately.

  14. #14
    +1 for Phoenix

    But it does also matter for which watch you intend to use it for. Phoenix have a more matt finish which works great for vintage watches where many of the other NATO options just are too shiny. I believe you can see the difference in Sinnlovers last picture, my guess is that the three dark grey are Phoenix.

    /L

  15. #15
    Timefactors have blasted hardware and are a little thicker than the Phoenix ones. The clincher for me is that the holes on the Phoenix ones are too far apart and I can't get a comfortable fit. Timefactors' natos have more holes, closer together.

    Also the Timefactors braided is excellent.

    Plus the Timefactors come in RAF style so you don't need to cut the flappy bit off.

    And the new Timefactors grey is much nicer than the Phoenix grey.

    CWC's branded NATOs are very much like Phoenix ones and they do a nice maroon. I'd like a few more solid colours in the Timefactors ones - red and orange really.

    I prefer Timefactors.

  16. #16
    Journeyman pjtj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Worcester, UK
    Posts
    83
    I agree about timefactors have several - have just had a couple from moosestraps in Canada after seeing them on YouTube. The premium slim straps are amazingly soft - feel like seat belt material and are very good quality. Pay via PayPal and had no issues with delivery etc.
    pete

  17. #17
    Haveston over on the PRS18Q thread looked interesting


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post

    Plus the Timefactors come in RAF style so you don't need to cut the flappy bit off.
    If you buy a Phoenix RAF strap, it will be a RAF strap, no need to cut anything off!

  19. #19
    Master zelig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cherrytown, Glos, UK
    Posts
    6,149
    Blog Entries
    60

    Best Nato

    I've just tried out the ZULUDIVER Seatbelt Nato from WatchGecko



    I quite like it - and nice & soft too

    z
    Last edited by zelig; 20th April 2018 at 14:17.

  20. #20
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,420
    Quote Originally Posted by longbear View Post
    +1 for Phoenix

    But it does also matter for which watch you intend to use it for. Phoenix have a more matt finish which works great for vintage watches where many of the other NATO options just are too shiny. I believe you can see the difference in Sinnlovers last picture, my guess is that the three dark grey are Phoenix.

    /L
    Correct the light grey is a CWC all in the top pic are Phoenix.

  21. #21
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up a creek
    Posts
    28,479
    I just received a Fortress strap from Haveston, ordered 2pm Thurs, at my door 9.05am today. Extremely well packaged,the quality is superb. The buckle is slightly larger than Eddie's deluxe Natos in all dimensions. The sliding keeper on the buckle end moves the full length of that side of the strap, from seam to seam, and the friction between the two parts keeps it where it's put. No need for tucking the loose end in and no bulk on the outside of the wrist. Certainly worth the money. I'm not saying this is the best, just that it's another choice of colour and fit. Here's a few quick phone pics . . .












    Last edited by magirus; 21st April 2018 at 10:21.

  22. #22
    I love the Havestons, but they can feel a little rugged which might not suit for when you want to do the daring thing of putting a nato on something dressier.

    I got one of these earlier this week and it's quite nice, feels like a car seatbelt and "slick" to the touch so goes well with anything that you don't want the rugged vibe for: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222919850516 - they're worth the money, but nowhere near an Omega or Phenome.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by longbear View Post
    If you buy a Phoenix RAF strap, it will be a RAF strap, no need to cut anything off!
    Where are Phoenix RAF straps available from, please?

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I just received a Fortress strap from Haveston, ordered 2pm Thurs, at my door 9.05am today. Extremely well packaged,the quality is superb. The buckle is slightly larger than Eddie's deluxe Natos in all dimensions. The sliding keeper on the buckle end moves the full length of that side of the strap, from seam to seam, and the friction between the two parts keeps it where it's put. No need for tucking the loose end in and no bulk on the outside of the wrist. Certainly worth the money. I'm not saying this is the best, just that it's another choice of colour and fit. Here's a few quick phone pics . . .


    Don't you normally prefer to cut the extra flappy bit off your natos? If so, does floating keeper on the Haveston mean you don't need cut the extra off?

  25. #25
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up a creek
    Posts
    28,479
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    Don't you normally prefer to cut the extra flappy bit off your natos? If so, does floating keeper on the Haveston mean you don't need cut the extra off?

    I do indeed usually cut that piece off, but only on the 20mm straps I use on my two Damaskos (DA37, DC 56), CWC RN quartz and PRS5 Broadarrow. I find that the extra thickness on the side of the wrist unbalances these watches. The exception is a Coyote Brown nato from Eddie, which I bought a while ago and luckily decided to try and persevere with uncut. I say luckily because I discovered the alternative method of mounting a watch on a nato a while before the current discussion here . For my Voyager I find a standard thickness 22mm nato is fine uncut, but Eddies two piece deluxe models would be far too bulky for my taste if folded and tucked the usual way, but luckily he supplies these in the one piece RAF pattern, of which I have one. With the sliding keeper on the Haveston there's no need for a fold and tuck, you simply fasten the strap and slide the keeper to the end of the free part. You can do this right up to the last hole, but in the other direction sizewise for a very small wrist you'd need to fold it as normal. I just washed the Haveston earlier, but when it's dry later I'll post some pics to illustrate, and also measure roughly at what wrist size you'd have to start folding and tucking it.

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I do indeed usually cut that piece off, but only on the 20mm straps I use on my two Damaskos (DA37, DC 56), CWC RN quartz and PRS5 Broadarrow. I find that the extra thickness on the side of the wrist unbalances these watches. The exception is a Coyote Brown nato from Eddie, which I bought a while ago and luckily decided to try and persevere with uncut. I say luckily because I discovered the alternative method of mounting a watch on a nato a while before the current discussion here . For my Voyager I find a standard thickness 22mm nato is fine uncut, but Eddies two piece deluxe models would be far too bulky for my taste if folded and tucked the usual way, but luckily he supplies these in the one piece RAF pattern, of which I have one. With the sliding keeper on the Haveston there's no need for a fold and tuck, you simply fasten the strap and slide the keeper to the end of the free part. You can do this right up to the last hole, but in the other direction sizewise for a very small wrist you'd need to fold it as normal. I just washed the Haveston earlier, but when it's dry later I'll post some pics to illustrate, and also measure roughly at what wrist size you'd have to start folding and tucking it.
    Illustrative pictures would be appreciated, thank you. I saw that neater nato video the other day, but I've not tried it yet. All the natos that I currently use are either RAF style from Eddie or have been cut down.

    I have yet another alternative method that involves turning the extra bit back on itself and slotting the long end through the end keeper of the extra bit. But that produces about six widths under the wrist, so I only use that to work out if I'm going to keep a strap before I cut it as it allows me to centre the watch as it would be RAF style.

  27. #27
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up a creek
    Posts
    28,479
    Please excuse the quality of these pictures, it's rather grey up here today. On my 7" wrist I use either the 6th or 7th hole along from the watch head depending on temperature etc and this gives me a perfect fit. This picture shows how the strap looks fastened at the 7th hole, the distortion of the phone camera makes it look thicker than it actually is . . .




    This is the strap closed up to the fourth hole, which would fit a wrist of @ 6.5" I reckon. Any shorter and you'd either have to trim the strap length or tuck it in. I don't think a tuck at this length would work . . .





    At the other end of the scale here's the strap at the last hole, which I reckon would be an 8.5" wrist. I'm basing these wrist sizes on measuring from my known size on the strap with a Mitutoyo digital caliper by the way . . .





    This shot shows the strap opened up at the buckle end to show the range of movement the sliding keeper has, which is @ 46mm . . .




    The material, whilst having a nice heavy heft to it, is quite soft and pliable, which helps with a comfy fit. Hope this is helpful.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Please excuse the quality of these pictures, it's rather grey up here today. On my 7" wrist I use either the 6th or 7th hole along from the watch head depending on temperature etc and this gives me a perfect fit. This picture shows how the strap looks fastened at the 7th hole, the distortion of the phone camera makes it look thicker than it actually is . . .

    The material, whilst having a nice heavy heft to it, is quite soft and pliable, which helps with a comfy fit. Hope this is helpful.
    Very informative, many thanks. I've a yellowdog rubber on order at the moment so maybe when I get bored of that in two weeks time I'll get one of these.

  29. #29
    Master Filterlab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    We didn't burn him!
    Posts
    4,813
    Zuludiver make superb NATOs, I always go to them first. Sometimes I fancy a mad colour and look elsewhere, but Zuludiver have a pretty wide range.

  30. #30
    Master zelig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cherrytown, Glos, UK
    Posts
    6,149
    Blog Entries
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Zuludiver make superb NATOs...
    Agreed. This Just arrived.







    Very pleased with it.

    z

  31. #31
    Eddies have always been good, plus Phoenix from experience. Love the look of that one from Haveston, Magirus!

    I'm looking for a decent one with Spanish flag colours - Red, Yellow, Red.
    Can't find any of the usual names that do this - although plenty on Amazon etc.

    Anyone know of a decent retailer for this? It's super-specific, I know....!

    Thanks

  32. #32
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Swindon, UK
    Posts
    35
    I've just ordered a Zuludiver Bond NATO strap for my Fortis Cosmonaut. I think it should look really nice and make a pleasant change to the leather strap that is on it at the moment.
    I've also just ordered some tools from HS Walsh - a Bergeon spring bar tool and set of decent (I hope) screwdrivers. Let the fun begin. Can't wait :-)

  33. #33
    Craftsman Dunce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Hampshire, but made on Tyneside
    Posts
    435
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a site that has NATOs with soft keepers on the buckle side? WatchGecko have a couple but I'm looking for a few different colours.

  34. #34
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    136
    Eddies are tops. Zuludiver from Watchgecko are excellent too.

  35. #35
    Eddie's Deluxe are excellent - quality but I've had an issue with them. I've been using an RAF one on my Voyager and the issue I've had is 'shaping', I've found its a bit awkward on the wrist and maybe lacks some rigidity in how it holds the watch. Not sure if that would be solved by a G10 model.

    Otherwise Eddie's regular NATOs are fantastic, reminds me I need a couple more.

  36. #36
    I was trying to order a couple from Eddie myself earlier but orders are suspended again temporarily.

    For anyone ordering from WatchGecko you can use discount code WATCHUSEEK for 10% off (not sure if there is a TZ-UK code already?).

  37. #37
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Swindon, UK
    Posts
    35
    My Bond Nato from WatchGecko arrived this week and was fitted to my Fortis Cosmonaut in a trice.
    Here's a quick wrist shot.

    Weekend-4 by Mark Pope, on Flickr

    I'm really chuffed with the result. I was pleased to see the strap came with three new springbars. I'd definitely use Watchgecko again.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •