closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird tumble dryer fact

Weird tumble dryer fact

Probably not of interest to most people (no need for a kicking in the BP, though, lads ), but I've been selecting some integrated appliances for the new kitchen that's being fitted shortly, and had no problems with either the dishwasher or washing machine. However, when it came to the tumble dryer a good deal of time spent searching revealed that only two companies produce an integrated machine for the UK market!

Baumatic are one, but their single offering seems pretty average. The other company is White Knight, who produce a few models that all come unbranded - I'm thinking that they must be the go-to source for anyone looking to avoid having a freestanding dryer in the middle of an otherwise fully-integrated kitchen?

Weird, right? I guess they're not quite as efficient as some of the free-standing models, but even so...

Anyone know if I've missed anything in my searching?
    Last edited by learningtofly; 25th March 2018 at 15:26.

We had the same issue Tony so opted for a free-standing condenser dryer that’s in the garage which we can access from the kitchen. There definitely appears to be a gap in the market.

Is it a airflow thing?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Is it a airflow thing?
    I don't know, Jase. The only ones I can find are vented, though - not sure if that's relevant.

Blog Entries
    You won’t go far wrong with the White Knight. IMHO.

We bought one (non-integrated) over a decade ago & it’s still going strong despite wifey’s best efforts to ruin it.

z

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

We bought one (non-integrated) over a decade ago & it’s still going strong despite wifey’s best efforts to ruin it.

z
    That's good to know, Darren, thank you - I've just told my builder that I'm going with one of theirs

Why not hide a freestanding one behind a cupboard door, knowone would ever be able to tell, provide it's done well

That is a good suggestion as integrated are far more expensive so this would contribute to the cost and if ever have to replace be far simpler too (no door alignment to worry about).

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Nice idea but might not be enough depth for appliance to be pushed back to give room for door.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Why not hide a freestanding one behind a cupboard door, knowone would ever be able to tell, provide it's done well
    Wouldn’t the hinges prevent you getting the drier to fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Nice idea but might not be enough depth for appliance to be pushed back to give room for door.
    All the dimensions would preclude this, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Is it a airflow thing?
    No. It’s a Mumsnet thing.

Sorry Tony, someone had to say it!

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    No. It’s a Mumsnet thing.

Sorry Tony, someone had to say it!
    I'm only surprised it took so long

Master
    My parents have had one for about 8 years Tony. Know you’ve already told your builder your choice, but you have made a good one.

Agree it’s very strange with the lack of availability of brands given the number of fully fitted kitchens.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    My parents have had one for about 8 years Tony. Know you’ve already told your builder your choice, but you have made a good one.

Agree it’s very strange with the lack of availability of brands given the number of fully fitted kitchens.

Again, very reassuring. Cheers, Matt.

Maybe majority of those with enough room for separate washer/driers have a utility room.

Yes integrated TD’s are quite rare, as most go for integrated washer dryers.

You’ll notice the price between integrated washing machine and washer dryers is relatively small as the majority of sales are of integrated washer dryers.

What type of kitchen are you having installed?

We’ve done a few where the dishwasher is a true integrated appliance but the washing machine and tumble dryer have been in a cupboard to be hidden, which gives you more variety and cheaper in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Yes integrated TD’s are quite rare, as most go for integrated washer dryers.

You’ll notice the price between integrated washing machine and washer dryers is relatively small as the majority of sales are of integrated washer dryers.

What type of kitchen are you having installed?

We’ve done a few where the dishwasher is a true integrated appliance but the washing machine and tumble dryer have been in a cupboard to be hidden, which gives you more variety and cheaper in the long run.
    Ah, that's interesting - I've had washer dryers before but find them a bit compromised.

These two appliances are going inside a purpose built housing with some doors, infill panels and plinth. It was a good way to take them out of the main kitchen area and use a space that will house those two base units, and two wall units inside one of which will be the boiler. It also gives us a little run of extra worktop to pop the coffee maker and microwave on, so it all works out quite well.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 26th April 2018 at 16:50.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Ah, that's interesting - I've had washer dryers before but find them a bit compromised.

These two appliances are going in adjacent standard base units. It was a good way to take them out of the main kitchen area and use a space that will house those two base units, and two wall units inside one of which will be the boiler. It also gives us a little run of extra worktop to pop the coffee maker and microwave on, so it all works out quite well.
    I’m not a fan of washer dryers full spot but understand for some they are needed ie flats or limited space, it’s just as said above the majority of integrated washer sales are washer dryers so deals are better then thier washing machine counterparts.

A few high end washer dryers get good ratings but generally speaking separates will be the best way to go.

I remember reading which? magazine fairly recently and they don’t have a recommendation for washer/dryers as apparently none are reliable enough to make their list - must admit I found that odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Washers and driers have different drum requirements which is why washer driers are pants, I used to work for a kitchen installer and we fitted white Knight integrated driers because like you say the main manufacturers don't do them. We have a vented drier in the garage and it does a better job of drying clothes than our expensive washer dryer ever does in half the time.

The combined machine is convenient if you just want washed and dried clothes in the morning or for when you get home from work but otherwise a cheap tumble is by far better.

Maybe majority of those with enough room for separate washer/driers have a utility room.
    This. Much better imo as it keeps the kitchen for it's primary use, cooking.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    This. Much better imo as it keeps the kitchen for it's primary use, cooking.
    Second that, if at all possible I keep it separately.. hard to do it in London tho.

We’ve got our washer and condenser dryer behind kitchen unit doors. We did have to get deeper worktops to do this though.

Blog Entries
    As said Tony 650mm worktop and free standing with doors

Pitch

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post

Pitch
    the main issue with that option is you lose 200mm of space. Appliances are 600 wide and to get them hidden means you need to allow 700mm for clearance of the door hinges. It also doesn't look as neat as you use 2x350 wide doors.

Quote Originally Posted by D4RK1 View Post
    the main issue with that option is you lose 200mm of space. Appliances are 600 wide and to get them hidden means you need to allow 700mm for clearance of the door hinges. It also doesn't look as neat as you use 2x350 wide doors.
    Or 2 600mm doors with an infill panel between, although you still need a bigger than 1200 opening, I have freestanding ones with a 100mm infill panel in the middle and brought the wall above forward to keep the 600mm worktops all round

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post

Pitch
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RK1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robti View Post
    Or 2 600mm doors with an infill panel between, although you still need a bigger than 1200 opening, I have freestanding ones with a 100mm infill panel in the middle and brought the wall above forward to keep the 600mm worktops all round
    It really doesn't work - all the dimensions are wrong if you want to stick with standard sized base units.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

z
    +1 same marriage - same TD..

Bought it on a which mag say so many years back - never regretted it.

B

Master
    My parents have always had a fitted utility in their houses, as have we; does that make us posh lol.

I never saw the point of having an ugly utility room just because it’s shut out of sight. Last kitchen company thought I was mad wanting granite in the utility - it’s attached to the kitchen & if the door is left open, I’d rather it all matched!

My parents have always had a fitted utility in their houses, as have we; does that make us posh lol.

I never saw the point of having an ugly utility room just because it’s shut out of sight. Last kitchen company thought I was mad wanting granite in the utility - it’s attached to the kitchen & if the door is left open, I’d rather it all matched!

Obviously your choice but I imagine many people will have a utilitarian utility room and prefer to spend the money elsewhere.

Why spend it on the staff!

I’ve got the washer and dryer at the end, so they mocked up a unit which is around 1300mm long, 2 600mm doors and a central in fill panel to fill the gap.

Quote Originally Posted by murilloinf View Post
    Second that, if at all possible I keep it separately.. hard to do it in London tho.
    Yes, it is. We're lucky, because the kitchen extends into the dining area, and my machines are going into the transitional bit.

Hang on, am I allowed to say that?

Yes, it is. We're lucky, because the kitchen extends into the dining area, and my machines are going into the transitional bit.

Hang on, am I allowed to say that?
    Depends if your worktops are glossy or matt.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Obviously your choice but I imagine many people will have a utilitarian utility room and prefer to spend the money elsewhere.

Why spend it on the staff!
    Damn I’m poor, never had staff!!

Tried a few cleaners but never do the level of clean that I like, had to let them go...took me 2.5hrs last week to do the inside of my mini...yup I’m one of those :D

To be fair find cleaning anything really therapeutic.

Tony, not being a Londoner can we see photos as intrigued as to all the work you’ve had / getting done?

Damn I’m poor, never had staff!!

Tried a few cleaners but never do the level of clean that I like, had to let them go...took me 2.5hrs last week to do the inside of my mini...yup I’m one of those :D

To be fair find cleaning anything really therapeutic.

Tony, not being a Londoner can we see photos as intrigued as to all the work you’ve had / getting done?

Yes, I'll try to get some shots sorted as the rooms are finished. To set expectations, though, I live in the smoke and I've been through the divorce wringer... I don't have wings to my house and it'll never be featured in Homes and Gardens.

You sure you want to integrate it Tony?

Tumble Dryers are one of the most common causes of house fires. The Fire brigade recommend that they are well ventilated and that they are hoovered under and around regularly to remove fluff/lint build up. Not sure how easy any of that is if they are built in.

Having said that, it may all be just a lot of hot air though.

Quote Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
    You sure you want to integrate it Tony?

Tumble Dryers are one of the most common causes of house fires. The Fire brigade recommend that they are well ventilated and that they are hoovered under and around regularly to remove fluff/lint build up. Not sure how easy any of that is if they are built in.

Having said that, it may all be just a lot of hot air though.
    Very droll (and yes, no going back on that one).

Master
    divorce wringer...
    Been there too, luckily for me, I was young, stupid and most importantly had yet to accumulate any wealth.

Luckily kept costs down significantly - well, along with only being married 7 months & it being our first house together...

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    We’ve got our washer and condenser dryer behind kitchen unit doors. We did have to get deeper worktops to do this though.
    Well, the washer and dryer have just been installed, and we ended up using the breakfast bar version of our worktop trimmed down to the requisite depth (which ended up being an additional 7cm over and above the worktop depth). We then used the same material to make an end panel.

Not a problem at all in terms of aesthetics, as this part of the run is the other side of a square opening joining two distinct areas.

Grand Master
    I`m rapidly falling out with the integrated fitted kitchen thing. It looks neat, but when something goes wrong you've got problems. First problem is working out how to get everything apart to access the built-in item that's gone faulty. I watched mine being built so I had a good idea how to do it, but it wasn`t easy. Once you get the faulty dishwasher/washing machine/oven/fridge out you fix it or buy a replacement which hopefully fits straight in, then you have the doors to fit and line up. Wifey will come along and say it doesn`t quite line up so you have another go until your patience expires.

How about water leaks?...... drip drip drip.......out of sight out of mind till you notice that lovely laminated flooring wifey insisted on is starting to swell slightly in one corner, by coincidence that's close to the sink and washing machine.

Fully fitted kitchens are the norm thesedays but they're trouble waiting to happen, my strong advice is to take pictures and make notes of how everything goes together, then when the problems start you'll at least have something to jog your memory.

Ensure the finishing plinths are loosely fitted, then you can take them off periodically to check for leaks!

Having spent last weekend sorting bloody leaks out in my kitchen and crawling around like Sammy The Snake I`m not impressed, the fitted kitchen thing was developed to impress women. A kitchen is a working environment, it's for cooking and washing etc and maybe having a quick meal. I'd cheerfully go back to free-standing items and good quality vinyl flooring. No matter how good the quality, laminate flooring in a kitchen is a bad choice in my opinion, I wouldn't fit it again. As for work-tops.....don`t get me started!

Paul

Paul, aside from ovens and fridges, integrated appliances are just freestanding machines with a door on the front and a bit of plinth running across the bottom. They’re not much more difficult to move or access than a freestanding appliance.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 27th April 2018 at 07:40.

Grand Master
    Pail, aside from ovens and fridges, integrated appliances are just freestanding machines with a door on the front and a bit of plinth running across the bottom. They’re not much more difficult to move or access than a freestanding appliance.
    I know that, I’ve replaced them in the past........I’ve been up close and personal with all my built in appliances over the past couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I know that, I’ve replaced them in the past........I’ve been up close and personal with all my built in appliances over the past couple of years.
    Hopefully that wasn’t a euphemism!

Grand Master
    Hopefully that wasn’t a euphemism!
    I’ve certainly worked up a sweat grappling with a few

Pail, aside from ovens and fridges, integrated appliances are just freestanding machines with a door on the front and a bit of plinth running across the bottom. They’re not much more difficult to move or access than a freestanding appliance.
    Mine is the same or similar. End panel made from a panel from the kitchen kitchen supplier, then a run of the same under the worktop to form a shut edge, then a run either side onto which the doors hang. If I need to remove an appliance, the doors are quick release, 3 or 4 screws holding the run under the worktop, remove the bottom plinth and both washer dryer can the slide out.

Paul, aside from ovens and fridges, integrated appliances are just freestanding machines with a door on the front and a bit of plinth running across the bottom. They’re not much more difficult to move or access than a freestanding appliance.
    Integrated fridges and freezers are a PITA!

Dishwashers have the ability, make and install dependant can be problematic but yes essentially it’s a freestanding appliance pinched up to the worksurface and held in with a few securing screws.

So have you gone freestanding hidden in a false cupboard?

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Integrated fridges and freezers are a PITA!

Dishwashers have the ability, make and install dependant can be problematic but yes essentially it’s a freestanding appliance pinched up to the worksurface and held in with a few securing screws.

So have you gone freestanding hidden in a false cupboard?
    No, the outside of this little run is built from breakfast bar (just the top and one side, as the other side butts up against the wall), and he's using infill panels and plinth to finish it off. It'll look like a couple of base units once the doors are on.

Blog Entries

Weird tumble dryer fact

Watching BBC home/houses/move to... programs, I am always amazed to see a washer and dryer in a kitchen. Overhere we only do this when there’s absolutely no room elsewhere in the house (like a small apartment). Here, then common place is in the bathroom, a pantry or the garage ( my wife would kill me if I’d suggested that with all my tools nearby)
    Last edited by thieuster; 27th April 2018 at 20:44.

Master
    Blog Entries
    WK probably make Bosch kit....