closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dealers buying on SC and flogging on at profit

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I have just completed a trial and now work for a grey dealer doing their web and ch24 stuff so I've joined the ranks of those to be suspicious of.
    I'll continue to use sc if anything takes my fancy but have no intention of using it for work purposes. That would be crapping on my own doorstep and as Alex has said, trade is cheaper.

Folk have the information now and the choice is theirs if they don't want to buy/sell with me. No offence taken etc.
    Excellent And congratulations Celia. Combining work and a hobby is the most fulfilling place to be.

Martyn.

Master
    The fairest price is a negotiated price based on current market prices.

If I was buying a watch, I couldn't care if the previous owner had it for 10 years, 10 months, 10 days or even 10 minutes.

No one is forced to buy, it's their choice and nothing to do with anyone else.

Selling at "mates rates" is all but impossible on the internet as thousands of us are buying and selling all the time. The only way to sell at mates rates is to do it behind closed doors where only a select few are privileged to view and operate and then the criticism of "it's who you know" crops up.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Cheers. I bloody love it and the days fly by, although the downside is that I've probably spent more than I've earned.

Cheers. I bloody love it and the days fly by, although the downside is that I've probably spent more than I've earned.
    Have you checked the back of the safe? There is always a dusty spectacular watch that has been forgotten about there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    As I’ve said before, if every seller edited their original post with the name of the buyer and the selling price, SC would become a lot more transparent.
    I was going to post a comment on a similar vein which I think would help genuine buyers and sellers...

Why not have a rule that you have to reply to the sales thread rather than PM? No PM’s with the initial contact or offer.

So joe bloggs puts a Rolex 5513 up for a bargain, Mr. T. Waster replies saying “I’ll have it” then backs out the deal because his dog ate his wallet. Then OP can post saying back for sale as Mr T. Waster has backed out.

This does two things, stops Mr T Waster doing this (how many times do we see “OHPF” and then “back up for sale because the buyer couldn’t get the funds” or similar!) just to put dibs on something when they’re not in a position to buy.

And it also allows others to see Mr T Waster’s name.

Also, if we see Mr P Rofit keeps poppping up with “I’ll have it” in bargain threads you could actually read posts on the SC and judge yourself if you want to make exclusions in your ad. ie for sale blah blah Mr T waster & Mr P Rofit need not apply.

Some people don’t care who buys their watch of coarse and just want money fast so it’s up to the seller.

Also be good to see the offers some people make and May shame people into not being too low baller!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The only way to sell at mates rates is to do it behind closed doors where only a select few are privileged to view and operate and then the criticism of "it's who you know" crops up.
    This is ‘behind closed doors’ in that it’s not open to view by the general public unless they meet the entry requirements.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As I’ve said before, if every seller edited their original post with the name of the buyer and the selling price, SC would become a lot more transparent.
    This

Master
    Blog Entries
    That's not going to improve now you are in the trade. Congratulations

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    This is ‘behind closed doors’ in that it’s not open to view by the general public unless they meet the entry requirements.
    How many thousands are we talking about ?

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    Thanks mate :)
    I gave and will deal with you anytime

How many thousands are we talking about ?
    Well there are a little over 4000 active members of which a smaller number will be able to view SC and and even smaller number can sell there. So a tiny community compared to Gumtree or eBay etc etc, so as I said...it is behind closed doors and is a small trading community. But you already know this.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    This
    Indeed - I think this would make a huge difference with little effort and make obvious the secret dealers who have bought their 8th Ceramic Sub / hoovering up watches in general etc to flog elsewhere.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I was going to post a comment on a similar vein which I think would help genuine buyers and sellers...

“Why not have a rule that you have to reply to the sales thread rather than PM? No PM’s with the initial contact or offer”

Also, if we see Mr P Rofit keeps poppping up with “I’ll have it” in bargain threads you could actually read posts on the SC and judge yourself if you want to make exclusions in your ad. ie for sale blah blah Mr T waster & Mr P Rofit need not apply.

Some people don’t care who buys their watch of coarse and just want money fast so it’s up to the seller.

Also be good to see the offers some people make and May shame people into not being too low baller!
    This would exclude anyone who has not been a member for 6 months or anyone with a lower post count than 250.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    This would exclude anyone who has not been a member for 6 months or anyone with a lower post count than 250.
    That would be cruel; “you can look but you can’t touch!”

Of course, they could always pm the seller anyway

Master
    Well there are a little over 4000 active members of which a smaller number will be able to view SC and and even smaller number can sell there. So a tiny community compared to Gumtree or eBay etc etc, so as I said...it is behind closed doors and is a small trading community. But you already know this.
    It's far to big to call it a closed community and people will either just PM or whatever and do their own thing.

Whether you like it or not, the days of a small clique of mates is long gone and the normal market as taken over as it always will.

It's far to big to call it a closed community and people will either just PM or whatever and do their own thing.

Whether you like it or not, the days of a small clique of mates is long gone and the normal market as taken over as it always will.
    Apologies I must have missed the cut off number that defines a ‘closed community’ please let me know. And whether you like it or not, this place is still a community, not a mass market place.

Master
    Apologies I must have missed the cut off number that defines a ‘closed community’ please let me know. And whether you like it or not, this place is still a community, not a mass market place.
    If it was a tight knit community, you wouldn't have all the squabbling, trolling and downright nastiness over this subject when someone sells at more than some feel is right.

I have bought from here but have never sold, so it is in my personal interest for prices to be kept artificially low but the simple fact is that you can't do community sales on the internet.

The mates rate thing is dying and that is why you are on the defensive. It is sad but inevitable I am sorry to say.

If it was a tight knit community, you wouldn't have all the squabbling, trolling and downright nastiness .
    Let me introduce you to my family !!

If TZ is a family then squabbling , trolling and nastiness is just normal.

If it was a tight knit community, you wouldn't have all the squabbling, trolling and downright nastiness over this subject when someone sells at more than some feel is right.

I have bought from here but have never sold, so it is in my personal interest for prices to be kept artificially low but the simple fact is that you can't do community sales on the internet.

The mates rate thing is dying and that is why you are on the defensive. It is sad but inevitable I am sorry to say.
    It’s only dying on Rolex sports, which suits me fine.

Master
    It’s only dying on Rolex sports, which suits me fine.
    Well in that case you got nothing to complain about.

Well in that case you got nothing to complain about.
    True, as you’re we’re.

Master
    Face it, a market is a market. Every seller on SC seeks the best price, every buyer the lowest price. And that has the merit of clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Face it, a market is a market. Every seller on SC seeks the best price, every buyer the lowest price. And that has the merit of clarity.
    I disagree that every member seeks the best price. Nothing I’ve sold on SC has been at the highest price I could get; in fact, four in a row were subsequently sold at higher prices soon after I’d sold them!

I’m certainly not alone in selling on the forum at lower prices than I could realise elsewhere; there are many more of the longer term members who do. Even you tend to sell your watches at very attractive prices.

I agree that a lot of the newbies tend to see the place as a free eBay and price accordingly but soon learn that they’re not going to get the highest prices on here.

sc issues

I cant sell on sc yet and need to move a watch on to raise funds so have stuck it on ebay at slightly more than I paid on here to cover the fees.

im also looking at a part ex with a grey dealer.

I have bought from dealers as well and agree that they pay a lot less than sc prices in many cases.

Sc though to me has a sense of community and trust that doesnt exist elsewhere and that has to be worth a few quid extra of anyones money.

Master
    I've seen so many acts of generosity on here that to deny it's a community would be very wrong. A community does not inherently mean perpetual harmony.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    I have just completed a trial and now work for a grey dealer doing their web and ch24 stuff so I've joined the ranks of those to be suspicious of.
    I'll continue to use sc if anything takes my fancy but have no intention of using it for work purposes. That would be crapping on my own doorstep and as Alex has said, trade is cheaper.

Folk have the information now and the choice is theirs if they don't want to buy/sell with me. No offence taken etc.
    PM sent

Joking C, but good luck with it - I suspect it will be very interesting to be on the other side of the fence!

TZ discounts? 🤞🤞

Craftsman
    It did get very tiresome a while back selling cheap at 'mates rates' while being forced to buy high. Must be pretty bad these days with Rolex Sports frenzy.

TZ discounts? 爛爛
    Cant have your cake and eat it springs to mind!

Nice one C!.

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

It’s due to oafs like you and others that the dynamics have changed.

it is unlikely to return, whilst it is for a small group to lament, your view has little value overall, sorry.

Dealers buying on SC and flogging on at profit

Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post
    It did get very tiresome a while back selling cheap at 'mates rates' while being forced to buy high. Must be pretty bad these days with Rolex Sports frenzy.
    As this is your first post and you’ve been registered for two weeks, your comments have confused me somewhat.

Having said that, it wouldn’t make any sense if you’d been here ages either.

Welcome to the forum btw.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 3rd May 2018 at 07:00.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    I've seen so many acts of generosity on here that to deny it's a community would be very wrong. A community does not inherently mean perpetual harmony.

Indeed - look at Ryans posts for one, sold a ND Sub at cost plus a pint for his trouble. Also passed on many discounted Omegas etc and others

Master
    As this is your first post and you’ve been registered for two weeks, your comments have confused me somewhat.
    Old member rejoined under new name maybe.

Dealers buying on SC and flogging on at profit

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Old member rejoined under new name maybe.
    Possibly. Still taking rubbish though!

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Indeed - look at Ryans posts for one, sold a ND Sub at cost plus a pint for his trouble. Also passed on many discounted Omegas etc and others
    I agree, but last nights sale didn't make sense. You order something from Japan, wait for it to arrive, pay all the duties and taxes - then list it at cost just to get your money back, to the person on the forum with the quickest fingers. Listed for £300 below RRP and a third of what people are paying on e-bay on a daily basis.

I know we don't do auctions on here, but this item could have raised serious money for the fundraiser.

I seriously hope it has gone to one of the forum hoovers or profiteers, then others may stand a chance of buying it further down the line.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I agree, but last nights sale didn't make sense. You order something from Japan, wait for it to arrive, pay all the duties and taxes - then list it at cost just to get your money back, to the person on the forum with the quickest fingers. Listed for £300 below RRP and a third of what people are paying on e-bay on a daily basis.

I know we don't do auctions on here, but this item could have raised serious money for the fundraiser.

I seriously hope it has gone to one of the forum hoovers or profiteers, then others may stand a chance of buying it further down the line.
    Hasn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

To caveat this, it was sent from Thailand via a Japanese AD and they sent me the wrong one. I’d ordered the SS version not this Porter version and they sent me the Porter one by mistake and I sold it for what they charged me for the SS version they were supposed to send me plus the VAT (btw I had to pay VAT on the FedEx shipping fees - what the heck is that all about?!!?).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post

After 14 years on here as a member I can categorically agree with this.

Of course there are individuals who pop up from time to time who really shouldn't be allowed out on their own, let alone given access to a keyboard. That's the same everywhere on the internet, where some folk think the relative anonymity of being online is a licence to be an a**e.

Nevertheless, I refuse to subscribe to the views of a few that everything here has gone to the dogs - as Steve indicated, I have frequently been delighted in the behaviour of members on this forum, and you only have to look at H&V to know that the majority of members are thoroughly decent people. I include Steve himself in that, who recently (and graciously) PM'd me about something when he had no need to do so.

On the thread topic, it seems to me that someone who buys low on SC and the following day attempts to sell high on either SC or eBay is just asking for trouble. On the other hand someone who buys a watch on SC, wears it and then sells 2 years later (anywhere) at a higher market value has done nothing wrong and is merely reacting to normal market forces. Surely most people are capable of applying a modicum of common sense.

The utterly ridiculous situation with regards to steel sports Rolex watches has led to some bizarre situations but surely needs to be seen in context. On that basis the recent furore on a sales post for a Daytona (instigated by a member for whom I have the utmost respect) seemed to me to be inappropriate - but then we all have the occasional 'off day'...

Simon

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Over the last few years the forum seems to have attracted people who see this HOBBY as purely a business, you just have to look at the names cropping up on SC to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Over the last few years the forum seems to have attracted people who see this HOBBY as purely a business, you just have to look at the names cropping up on SC to see them.
    Perhaps a few, Mike, but in the overall scheme of things I still stand by my view that the vast majority of members are an asset to what is undoubtedly a community.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Perhaps a few, Mike, but in the overall scheme of things I still stand by my view that the vast majority of members are an asset to what is undoubtedly a community.

Simon
    I'm with you, Simon. There are and always will be exceptions, astute members will spot them and avoid interaction with them. This insight springs to mind (Bear Pit thread with strong language): http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?402175-Desiderata
    Last edited by Mr Curta; 3rd May 2018 at 11:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I'm with you, Simon. There are and always will be exceptions, astute members will spot them and avoid interaction with them. This insight springs to mind: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?402175-Desiderata
    I love it, but there should be a WARNING here that this is not suitable to be opened in a family/office setting due to the language...

Simon

Congratulations on the new job, Celia.

Simon

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    The ‘rules’ of SC are already stated here: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...n-Sales-Corner

Let us not make our lives even more complicated..
    Amen, brother!

Simon

Master
    Its a free market.

Free to sell at what price you choose.
    Free to buy at what price you choose.

You don't have to sell lower than you'd like.
    You don't have to buy higher than you'd like.

I don't get all the knickers in a twist over profiteering. As you can only profit if someone is will to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Its a free market.

Free to sell at what price you choose.
    Free to buy at what price you choose.

You don't have to sell lower than you'd like.
    You don't have to buy higher than you'd like.

I don't get all the knickers in a twist over profiteering. As you can only profit if someone is will to buy.
    It's not the regular sales, it's the swooping in and depriving others, who would love that particular model at that price and keep it, compared to those who buy immediately (Probably Using something like Tapatalk to advise off new posts on sales corner all day) with the specific intent to sell on to some other bugger at a profit!

There is a huge difference in my mind ymmv
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    It's not the regular sales, it's the swooping in and depriving others, who would love that particular model at that price and keep it, compared to those who buy immediately (Probably Using something like Tapatalk to advise off new posts on sales corner all day) with the specific intent to sell on to some other bugger at a profit!

There is a huge difference in my mind ymmv
    That's fair enough, and of course, it depends on how you feel about the practice. But, there will be a percentage of people who say it's wrong, profiteering etc. When what they are thinking is S**T could have sold it for more.

The selling for profit is always intentional, I think it's the time frame which can be irksome. I mean no one is going to sell theirs from new 30-40 year old Submariner for "what it cost me".

Also no one profiteers unless there's an inpatient mug wanting it right now.

You don't get much better do you?

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    That's fair enough, and of course, it depends on how you feel about the practice. But, there will be a percentage of people who say it's wrong, profiteering etc. When what they are thinking is S**T could have sold it for more.

The selling for profit is always intentional, I think it's the time frame which can be irksome. I mean no one is going to sell theirs from new 30-40 year old Submariner for "what it cost me".

Also no one profiteers unless there's an inpatient mug wanting it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I love it, but there should be a WARNING here that this is not suitable to be opened in a family/office setting due to the language...

Simon
    Apologies, I hadn't considered that. I've amended the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Apologies, I hadn't considered that. I've amended the post.
    Well done.

You just like it because you got a mention!

Simon