closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dealers buying on SC and flogging on at profit

Dealers buying on SC and flogging on at profit

Given the recent GMT fiasco as well as general complaints about some members repeatedly scooping up TZ-priced pieces and flogging them elsewhere for a considerable mark-up, is it time to have them to be required to identify themselves? I for one don’t want to find myself having sold to them.

Whether we like it or not this has been happening EVERYWHERE since FOREVER.

Just don't sell/buy from someone you like and find someone that you enjoy doing business, pretty much. You can do some digging up and research on that user and see if he's that kind of a dealer or not.

Blog Entries
    Dealers are required to identify themselves - it's in the SC rules already.

There was one member who specifically wrote in his listings that he would not sell to a hoover who would put the thing on eBay for a profit.

There was another member who repeatedly lambasted those who sold at a profit.

Dunno what happened those two guys, maybe we could ask them to head up some sort of committee.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Dealers are required to identify themselves - it's in the SC rules already.
    That’s only dealers who are selling in SC, it’s the forum hoovers who sell elsewhere that the OP is referring to I think.

If you know who's doing this why not post a list, so people who don't want to sell to a dealer can be aware.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    There was one member who specifically wrote in his listings that he would not sell to a hoover who would put the thing on eBay for a profit.

Dunno what happened those two guys, maybe we could ask them to head up some sort of committee.
    Haha - can’t imagine who you are referring to :)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RS404 View Post
    If you know who's doing this why not post a list, so people who don't want to sell to a dealer can be aware.
    Sounds good to me. Sometimes I go a period of time without checking in here and when I come back I'm not up to date. A list would allow people to know in case they missed something.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post

Sprayed my tea.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

The onus shouldn’t be on us to scour threads to verify the integrity. Much rather we as a community out them, identify them and enable everyone to be aware so that as sellers there is a choice. Community spirit rather than research skills.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I’m a dealer but to be honest sc prices are well above what I buy my stock at in the trade. But if I do see a watch on sc I’d like to buy for myself, am I allowed to do this will I be back heeled?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    I’m a dealer but to be honest sc prices are well above what I buy my stock at in the trade. But if I do see a watch on sc I’d like to buy for myself, am I allowed to do this will I be back heeled?
    You for one have always been very open and honest about what you do . I would have no problem selling to you or indeed buying .

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    It’s all about openness and honesty Alex. I can’t imagine anyone having a problem with you buying a watch for yourself.

I don’t think it’s dealers doing this as we get better deals in the trade, obviously there’s the odd bargain on sc here and there but generally I’d say prices are quite high on here. It seems to be the odd person letting greed get the better of them which happens and hardly the end of the world. We all mess up at times.

I’m sure that no genuine dealers are buying stock from SC Alex, it’s the hobby dealers who are members of various fora and buy watches that are a little cheaper than market value before flipping them elsewhere for a small (or in some cases, large) profit.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve bought watches etc. here most I’ve kept, a couple I’ve sold elsewhere [when I didn’t take to them] as I can’t sell on SC [i am not complaining].

Each one I contacted the original seller so he had a chance to buy back,I didn’t make any stealth selling posts either.

Non where bought to sell on at profit.

Seeing the amount of abuse handed out on SC I would be very wary of using it when/if I have access,it seems to me a no win situation.

I also replied to WTBs which I should give up on,invariably they want to pay a very low price they’ve decided on and get shirty when you don’t agree [it’s very hard trying not to offend].

In the end it’s life and the world in general a series of conflicts and misunderstandings, personally I prefer a quiet life.

In the spirit of this thread If anyone wants to buy the IWC mkx11 [12] I bought here and keep it in the family,then you can have it for the same price otherwise I will be selling it elsewhere and hopefully for it’s real worth.

Craftsman
    This has happened to several watches that I was interested in buying through the sales section of the forum over the last few weeks. I won't however name any names.

Master
    Remember that eBay charges are 10% to 14%

I am in no way a dealer - but I have thought about selling a couple of watches on eBay but the charges really put me off

I would rather try to trade them

(I bought a watch on here about 6 years ago for £3k - it is now worth £4k ........ why should I offer it on here for what I paid for it, which seems to be the unwritten rule?)
    Last edited by BillN; 24th March 2018 at 17:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    This has happened to several watches that I was interested in buying through the sales section of the forum over the last few weeks. I won't however name any names.
    At least give people a clue, post it in 'drafts'.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post

I am in no way a dealer - but I have thought about selling a couple of watches on eBay but the charges really put me off
    Unless you have a trade account in which case watches attract a £50 maximum. There’s loads of guys on sc who trade watches on eBay with trade accounts. I see it all the time. They usually make offers, respond to wtb’s etcetc. 2 off them actually live quite close to me and I follow their eBay accounts...

(I bought a watch on here about 6 years ago for £3k - it is now worth £4k ........ why should I offer it on here for what I paid for it, which seems to be the unwritten rule?)
    I often get deals from eBay where my selling fees are capped at £1 or £3. Ok, there’s PayPal fees too but it’s not necessarily as expensive as you’re suggesting.

If you bought a watch six years ago, no one would expect you to sell it for the same price today. If you’d bought it last week though, that’s a different matter!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I often get deals from eBay where my selling fees are capped at £1 or £3. Ok, there’s PayPal fees too but it’s not necessarily as expensive as you’re suggesting.
    Yep, I get these too.
    And have used them to sell watches bought here for a profit but always after they've sat unsold on here for what I paid for them (or less).

6 years is just inflation. 1 week is sheer greed.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Saying that, there are a few well known dealers on her who could buy some great bargains on here and make a killing but don't as they are on here for the love of watches so we don't need to tar them all the same.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I can't help but feel frustrated that a facility that is greared up largely to aid genuine enthusiasts a friendly environment to work out deals/trades with other members can be so easily undermined by dealers with bottomless pockets, that can chime in and trump members offers. Usually with the sole intention of flipping for a profit asap.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers. I guess that is just the capitalist society we live. (nothing against capitalism either).

Craftsman

A watch is worth the going rate at the time. Nothing wrong with that at all.
    If some seem to sell them at a little less then good on them but nothing wrong in asking what it's worth.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Don't sell to them if you think thats whats happening
    Just because they reply first doesn't entitle them to your watch.
    I agree with 1st come first served if there's nothing else at play but if you smell a hoover hold off and see who else comes in.

The stealth dealers are the ones to watch, you know the type, they have a spreadsheet detailing a £20k SC profit.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Don't sell to them if you think thats whats happening
    Just because they reply first doesn't entitle them to your watch.
    I agree with 1st come first served if there's nothing else at play but if you smell a hoover hold off and see who else comes in.
    Whislt I agree with what you say, if someone needs to release some funds quickly, they may not have the luxury of making that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Whislt I agree with what you say, if someone needs to release some funds quickly, they may not have the luxury of making that decision.
    And if someone needs to release funds quickly, selling to the guy who's going to stick it on Ebay for a 30 day listing at a profit may be the right guy to sell to.
    As much as we'd all like to think so, there's no firm right and wrong answer here.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    And if someone needs to release funds quickly, selling to the guy who's going to stick it on Ebay for a 30 day listing at a profit may be the right guy to sell to.
    As much as we'd all like to think so, there's no firm right and wrong answer here.
    True, maybe I have become too used to forums as communites where enthusiasts develop a rapport and help each other out. I suppose over time it will always become more commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    What complicated lives TZers must live. I've never needed to 'release funds quickly' (and not because I'm wealthy either). Is it to buy the next watch?

Master
    There are a few individuals on here that I wouldn’t sell to at any price. I think the whole ‘first come, first served’ thing is BS

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    There are a few individuals on here that I wouldn’t sell to at any price. I think the whole ‘first come, first served’ thing is BS
    To an extent yes but there is a certain sense of fairness in that the first to reply should get 1st call if all things are equal.
    A lot of variables going on of course.
    I would also suggest you could be more picky if selling a professional Rolex as opposed to a Rose Gold JLC

To an extent yes but there is a certain sense of fairness in that the first to reply should get 1st call if all things are equal.
    I would also suggest you could be more picky if selling a professional Rolex as opposed to a Rose Gold JLC
    Surely that is the decision of the seller?

I agree with Peck that there are some individuals I would rather not sell to.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I am intrigued, most items I see for sale or priced around the ebay selling prices, then you need to factor in paypal fees and ebay final listing fees if you are buying off the forum to sell on ebay. The first thing I do when I see something on the forum I fancy is check the selling prices on ebay to ensure I am not paying over the odds, most things on the forum are priced around ebay prices. As I say I am intrigued.

Dealers buying on SC and flogging on at profit

Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    I am intrigued, most items I see for sale or priced around the ebay selling prices, then you need to factor in paypal fees and ebay final listing fees if you are buying off the forum to sell on ebay. The first thing I do when I see something on the forum I fancy is check the selling prices on ebay to ensure I am not paying over the odds, most things on the forum are priced around ebay prices. As I say I am intrigued.
    True, and there are no issues with most SC sales.

It’s the occasional bargains that are snapped up by the hoovers to be sold on elsewhere (not just eBay) that are the issue. Also, as mentioned previously, eBay fees are often £1 maximum rather than 10% which can alter the maths dramatically.

Of course, the reverse also happens; members buy cheap elsewhere and then sell on SC for a profit without incurring any fees!

Master
    Indeed, I agree this is far from black and white. However I truly believe if folks were a bit more selective in who they sell to then some of the problems we’ve seen of late would disappear (along with the hoovers... well, one can dream!)

Craftsman
    Funny thing is I have just sold my Hoover on ebay.

It was just at home gathering dust. 😆

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sunday humour

Easy way to spot the covert dealers, they are the ones daily going on about “spirit of the forum” and other such guff. Remember Mr Prototype? Or how about Mr Picasso?

Biggest forum enforcers seem to be the biggest dealers.

Master
    Can someone please say who these "hoovers" are? I'd like to avoid selling to them but I don't open every post on SC so I don't have an overview of the frequent buyers.

By PM is fine if you feel shy about posting in public.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Can someone please say who these "hoovers" are? I'd like to avoid selling to them but I don't open every post on SC so I don't have an overview of the frequent buyers.

By PM is fine if you feel shy about posting in public.
    Just look at h @ v? My first transaction on here the chap asked me not to post feedback! I now know why...

Quote Originally Posted by troymcclure72 View Post
    Just look at h @ v? My first transaction on here the chap asked me not to post feedback! I now know why...
    That's a bit rum

The seller should keep the box and papers for a year before forwarding them on. That'll stop it

Blog Entries
    I have been on the receiving end of two folk on here openly making a buck out of me. Funny thing is it was the same watch.

I purchased the watch in question with a badly scratched crystal (not mentioned when sold) which the member selling it to me had received a £70 discount on when purchased from the original owner who knew about the damage. The seller thought it reasonable to sell on with no repair and pocket the 70 quid. However the original owner made contact with me, seller put their hands up and all was forgiven ......... it did leave a bad taste.......

When selling on the CWC Diver on......well.....KP...... say no more........

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    I have been on the receiving end of two folk on here openly making a buck out of me. Funny thing is it was the same watch.

I purchased the watch in question with a badly scratched crystal (not mentioned when sold) which the member selling it to me had received a £70 discount on when purchased from the original owner who knew about the damage. The seller thought it reasonable to sell on with no repair and pocket the 70 quid. However the original owner made contact with me, seller put their hands up and all was forgiven ......... it did leave a bad taste.......

When selling on the CWC Diver on......well.....KP...... say no more........

Pitch
    KP made a near 100% profit on me but not to worry he is not a dealer, remember him calling dealers out on numerous occasions and even challenging one seller to prove how much they paid by posting the original receipt on the forum.

IMO the most vocal forum cops are the most likely to be the dealers they probably see it as a way of protecting their own market especially by fleecing new comers to the forum (all in the spirit of the forum of course)

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    The seller should keep the box and papers for a year before forwarding them on. That'll stop it
    I feel like that could be taken advantage of though. I thought one of the main reasons people like the box and papers is that it increases the likelihood that the watch is authentic. Obviously you should only buy from people you trust but I just can't help thinking someone will try something and ruin it for everyone. Much like what seems to be happening now with this Hoover situation.

Master

Difficult to stop!!

To be honest I’ve bought of people that have been outed as dealers and I’m sure I’ve sold to dealers but how can you know for sure??
    It does take the whole shine of the process when you have to check for sales and purchases??
    I do know myself that I love to buy watches back as I usually sell due to a need for the cash back rather than wanting to get rid of so I usually state when selecting a buyer (if there is indeed more than one?!) that they offer the watch back to me first before offering it elsewhere?? I suppose the ones that don’t are possibly dealers or have still got the watches??
    Most of the time I get them offered again and on numerous occasions I’ve bought them back ;-)

Buying at forum rates just to flip will eventually take all the decent priced forum queens out of our little circle so it will eventually stop through a lack of availability??
    Surely dealers must have a better business plan that buying a few on forums to sell at a profit as they must be few and far between in comparison to what must be needed to run a watch business!???
    I’m gueesing we are talking small time dealers/collectors that flip to end up with a kind of free watch eventually??

I for one love the recirculating of some of these forum pieces at prices that won’t kill!
    I do understand when some put the price up if they have had it for years as the watches they desire next have also gone up so not really profiteering but that’s a different discussion!!

I hope we don’t lose the true core of rotating forum stock that has always been around and just goes from member to member!!!!!

Chris

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subchris View Post
    To be honest I’ve bought of people that have been outed as dealers and I’m sure I’ve sold to dealers but how can you know for sure??
    The more venerable members appear to have a good (although not perfect) idea from a long history of watching deals & there are often coded references along the lines of "that one got hoovered up" but no-one seems willing to out them, even in a thread in the BP rather than the open board.

If the members of the forum want to retain the spirit of the past they need to act. If sellers knew who these people were they could at least make a conscious decision about selling to them, not find out later that they have unwittingly contributed to the problem.