closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Biking related hand injury

Blog Entries

Biking related hand injury

After a bit of advice, last year I rode 660 miles in a day from Nice to Le Mans, great ride and holiday, later the same year I did a 500 miles weekend in the UK and developed a pain in my left hand, its on the top of the hand moving down beyond my wrist and also my wrist on the palm side which travels up my arm, basically every time I change gear its like having a needle stuck in my hand!!!. I though it might get better over the winter although to be on the safe side I visited a physio. Used my bike for the first time a couple of weeks ago and within 2 miles it reappeared Grrrrrr.
    Anyone had this ?? off to France, Belgium, Germany, Spain and Portugal this year so more than a bit concerned, I will go to the quacks, another trip to physio but if anyone has had the same or knows the problem let me know, PS I'm right handed ;) before the sniggers start lol
    Last edited by Frankie169; 24th March 2018 at 12:26.

I’m no expert but have suffered wrist pain before from overuse at the gym. Maybe some kind of tenosynovitis? Really annoying...I was using splints and physio exercises but the only thing that stopped it was complete rest from those exercises that could trigger it for about 4 months.

I’ve had carpal tunnel surgery done on both wrists and first noticed a problem riding my bike. Might not be, but if it is don’t hesitate having the surgery. Both mine were on the nhs and within a week I could use my hands for most things, after a month good as new (and all the pain was gone immediately after surgery). Lots of people seem to avoid having them done, no idea why as they’re done under a local anaesthetic and the recovery is very short. I think it may have been different 20 years ago which is why people hesitate? Anyhow best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know anything about hands but you could learn clutchless shifts or buy a quickshifter/auto blipper or failing that get one of those Honda DCT things.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’ve had carpal tunnel surgery done on both wrists and first noticed a problem riding my bike. Might not be, but if it is don’t hesitate having the surgery. Both mine were on the nhs and within a week I could use my hands for most things, after a month good as new (and all the pain was gone immediately after surgery). Lots of people seem to avoid having them done, no idea why as they’re done under a local anaesthetic and the recovery is very short. I think it may have been different 20 years ago which is why people hesitate? Anyhow best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You were very lucky, I had mine done, one in 2005, the second in 2006, it’s taken years to get usable dexterity back in both hands and, even now I can’t open stuck jam jars etc as the muscle across the base of the hand was cut along with the tendon sheath.

And my surgeons say I have the best recovery possible :-)

Still, it’s a good excuse when needed! ‘Oh sorry, I can’t because of my surgery ‘

Rob

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I don't know anything about hands but you could learn clutchless shifts or buy a quickshifter/auto blipper or failing that get one of those Honda DCT things.
    They don't do a quickshifter, auto blipper for the 2017 multistrada, however the new 1260 comes with one ... there's a thought but DCT errrr wash your mouth out if you please.

Master
    Might be worth trying to move the position of the clutch lever.
    If it’s set too high the constant grabbing at a high angle can give you problems.
    The fact that it happened straight away after a lay off period may suggest this?
    Stand at the front of the bike and look at both lever positions to see if they are different.
    Possibly telling you something you have already done but it might be a solution.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You can try one of these,don’t buy a cheap Ebay one these are best and cheap anyway.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/101220

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loupe View Post
    Might be worth trying to move the position of the clutch lever.
    If it’s set too high the constant grabbing at a high angle can give you problems.
    The fact that it happened straight away after a lay off period may suggest this?
    Stand at the front of the bike and look at both lever positions to see if they are different.
    Possibly telling you something you have already done but it might be a solution.
    ^^^ this^^^

and a few other 'parameters'... Check the angle of your wrists when leaning on the bars. I bought myself a new bike with a slightly differently shaped handlebar. I had the same symptoms (not as bad as you mention). I mounted bars similar to the ones on my previous bike and troubles went away! Furthermore: my bike shop owner told me hat the next adjustment (if things wouldn't work out correctly) should be addressing the angle of the upper body; when you're reaching, there's a lot of weight from your upper body on your wrists and the palm of your hands! Perhaps a suggestion to consider?

Menno

Craftsman
    You don't say what bike it is but how about some bar risers. Even small ones will put your weight in a different position and maybe take the weight off your hands a bit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post
    You don't say what bike it is but how about some bar risers. Even small ones will put your weight in a different position and maybe take the weight off your hands a bit.
    Ducati Multistrada DVT

Its quite an upright position already so not much weight on the wrists but the wrist and hand are at a slight angle, just ordered some risers which add an extra 20mm , also going to move the position of the clutch to see if that makes any different, strange thing is this is my 4th MTS and ridden tens of thousands of miles on them (regardless of what people think, Ducati's don't break down!!) and never had this issue until my big ride last year which might or might not of kicked it off..... or I'm just getting old!!
    Last edited by Frankie169; 26th March 2018 at 06:24.

Blog Entries
    Ha! I was referring to a bicycle!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    You can try one of these,don’t buy a cheap Ebay one these are best and cheap anyway.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/101220
    The pain is in the OP's left hand.