closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Halios Seaforth

Master

Halios Seaforth

It's a great looking watch and I could be tempted.

However I don't understand the price which seems much higher than I'd expect for that sort of watch with that movement from a boutique brand. Perhaps I'm just spoiled by Eddie's VFM.

What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    It's a great looking watch and I could be tempted.

However I don't understand the price which seems much higher than I'd expect for that sort of watch with that movement from a boutique brand. Perhaps I'm just spoiled by Eddie's VFM.

What am I missing?
    They're always sold out.........

They do look nice though, and if I was buying a micro-brand that would be the best option.

I’m on the list for an orange with sapphire diver bezel and date, coming in August, thinking of cancelling if anyone wants it

I've never owned one, but have read a lot about them (was contemplating buying, but bought a Grand Seiko instead) so take the following with a pinch of salt if you wish.

As I understand it, Halios as a microbrand are pretty far from your standard 'Kickstarter' or 'pic'n'mix' Chinese catalogue offerings.

Jason Lim is a one-man band - owner & designer. He travels to the Far East to vet suppliers (his cases are bespoke to him), then personally inspects, QCs & ships each watch individually, by himself - if you have a problem, you deal with him, and are not redirected to some far-away Chinese factory.

As well as that personal touch, I think the appeal is getting an original design, well executed, in very low production runs, that you'll likely not see elsewhere, and which will probably at least retain its price point if re-sold.

Look closer at the watches themselves and there's a lot to like about the current Seaforth range - bevelled lugs, a box sapphire crystal, an extra strap included, sapphire & lumed bezel inserts, applied markers, colour-matched date wheels, signed crown etc. Those all cost to implement, and he's delayed releases to resolve anything he's not 100% happy with.

There's a tendency to focus too much on movements in isolation when judging a watch's worth, but even there, on the latest Seaforths he's sourced Swiss Made ETAs, instead of Miyotas.

In more recent times, driven in part by the Seaforth's innate qualities and a few favourable watch media reviews, the Seaforth has generated the double-edged sword that is hype, as some appear to have noticed the limited numbers & strong re-sale values, which created a bit of a buying frenzy, and which in turn drove more hot air into the bubble.

He recently did a couple of good podcast interviews with 'The Grey Nato' & 'Worn & Wound'. Well worth a listen if you want to learn more.

I guess the domed sapphire will cost quite a bit.
    The same goes for the sapphire bezel and the rotating steel one.

I ordered their latest one, steel rotating bezel blue dial.

Journeyman
    I rather like them, I tried to order on round 2 and failed, now have the pastel blue on preorder, for delivery in August, I assume Preorder will open up again around that time.

Scottie

Master
    I have own two Halios. There first a Holotype, a fine watch! And later a puck which I consider to be the best dive watch I have own in quality. Sadly to big. Halios do great designs, quality is high and owner Jason a top bloke. I don’t think the price is high for what you get, try a model and see :-)

*posted this elsewhere the other day*

Not strictly Basel, but something announced....

The strongest micro brand at the moment? Gotta be close to it.

*Dupe*

Craftsman
    and my gen 1:

Craftsman
    Was tempted to swap the bezels on them as I think the sapphire would look great with the gilt dial, but I also like it on the Pastel and I'm scared of screwing it up so will probably leave them as is for now :)

Craftsman
    Dammit, i posted a long comment up above about my gen 2 and then somehow deleted it. Anyway upshot is, they're awesome watches and pretty close to perfect for me. This one is the pastel with saphire, the dial colour is unique and eye-catchng without being flashy, the date window is nicely executed at 6 and colour matched too so is unobtrusive. The sapphire bezel contrasts nicely with the dial, the domed crystal gives a slightly vintage feel on what is a modern looking watch. All in all it's a great quality product and Jason is also great to deal with, have nothing but praise for Halios.

I’ve not owned one yet but am a big admirer of the Puck and the Seaforth. I really like both variants that are currently in SC.

Apprentice
    I had a email a few days ago confirming my preordered of a orange Seaforth. First I had heard of it so I must have drunkenly stumbled across it late at night ordered it and then passed out 🤔Thankfully I like the look of it so drunken me did well for once 😁

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousjoe View Post
    I had a email a few days ago confirming my preordered of a orange Seaforth. First I had heard of it so I must have drunkenly stumbled across it late at night ordered it and then passed out Thankfully I like the look of it so drunken me did well for once
    I drunkenly buy random 80’s hair metal albums on iTunes and you buy a cracking watch. I’m doing it wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Will only preorders be fulfilled or will there me more of these for sale (with preorder being a reservation). Quite like how they look.

Apprentice
    I considered, I dawdled, I didn't get one. Sure I will regret it.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpete View Post
    I considered, I dawdled, I didn't get one. Sure I will regret it.
    Same for me. I couldn't decide on which bezel to go for, then didn't go back before the pre-order expired. I'll keep an eye out for the next release.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    Will only preorders be fulfilled or will there me more of these for sale (with preorder being a reservation). Quite like how they look.
    Preorders will be fulfilled.
    Some will pop up for sale.
    There might even be a Seaforth IV...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by UsefulG View Post
    I drunkenly buy random 80’s hair metal albums on iTunes and you buy a cracking watch. I’m doing it wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nowt wrong with a bit of hair metal

Scottie

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Preorders will be fulfilled.
    Some will pop up for sale.
    There might even be a Seaforth IV...
    Bound to be a Seaforth IV given the ongoing popularity of the design.

They have show off the second dial option of the next edition - fixed bezel only on these.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    They have show off the second dial option of the next edition - fixed bezel only on these.
    The newer option looks better to me, the first version is too dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans View Post
    The newer option looks better to me, the first version is too dark.
    Their Instagram suggests you can mix the case and dial options - dark dial w/ SS case could rebalance things?

Master
    Apologies for bumping this thread but I'm extremely pleased with my (now discontinued) Seaforth. Just put it on a Ginault 'glidelock' bracelet and to me it's the most complete watch in my small collection.

Comfortable, legible, accurate, and cheap enough to not worry about bashing it around. My new beater for sure.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Apologies for bumping this thread but I'm extremely pleased with my (now discontinued) Seaforth. Just put it on a Ginault 'glidelock' bracelet and to me it's the most complete watch in my small collection.

Comfortable, legible, accurate, and cheap enough to not worry about bashing it around. My new beater for sure.

Glad you're enjoying it. Looks good on the bracelet.

Craftsman
    Snap!
    My Ginault bracelet arrived yesterday, fitted last night, enjoying it today.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Snap!
    My Ginault bracelet arrived yesterday, fitted last night, enjoying it today.

Fantastic! Is that a gen 2? Can't see a nimbus grey date version on the Halios site, only the GMT.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Fantastic! Is that a gen 2? Can't see a nimbus grey date version on the Halios site, only the GMT.
    Yes it's a gen 2. I missed out on the initial new orders but luckily snapped this up from SC.

Looks great! High on my wish list to OWN a seaforth. Looks like Halios will make some other new models. More to be announced soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Those bracelets look great

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    They're always sold out.........

They do look nice though, and if I was buying a micro-brand that would be the best option.
    I bet I'd like one if I owned it, but I'm not a fan of that business model. I prefer the model where you buy the watch after it exists and they ship it to you. My favorite micro-brand does it that way -- it's called Timefactors.

I cannot see anything distinctive about them.

Craftsman
    I was lucky to buy one last year when there website was having loads of problems
    I think 30 orders went through I was one of the lucky ones
    On the net we were called the dirty 30 loads of abuse
    The buying was the exiting bit watch arrives open it up then
    Oh um arh looks kind of cheap
    Still the brands all hyped up on ebay that day and sold
    Ps it looks miles better on the brackleg

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

What was the cost of the bracelet?

I wonder whether it would fit a 16610 Sub?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post

It's about £190 delivered. It's a good fit but the glidelock is not as smooth as the Rolex. I'll see if it fits the 214270 Explorer..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post

The bracelet fits fine on a 214270 Explorer so I presume it would fit most Rolex. Here a comparison pic. First one is on the Ginault glidelock, second is original.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk