closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any stickmakers?

Master

Any stickmakers?

Finally started another hobby that I'd fancied trying for years but had just never got around to it - stick making!
    I started late last year and only actually managed to complete 2 sticks in that time (pretty poor effort tbh) and there was a show a week or so ago to mark the 'end of the season' kinda thing. I wasn't going to enter my two lowly efforts but was persuaded to by a few fellow 'stickies’ and I was pleasantly surprised to do pretty well in the 1st Year Novice Class!!
    Pretty chuffed was I!!

Well done
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Well, I made one.......

....but I think I need to work on my straightening technique.............

Worth a PM to Mick P. He might have some sticks available.

My great grandad made shillelaghs. When he died I was living too far away to get my share of the spoils, the vultures circled quickly. I knew another guy who carved the most fantastic sticks, made one for my dad and a smaller and less intricate one for me, I'll have to liberate that from my mum's house some time. Anyway, useless anecdotes aside, I'd love to do some myself, it's much more of an art than people give it credit for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Worth a PM to Mick P. He might have some sticks available.
    ouch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A very dear friend of mine was a grrat stick maker and did a lot of his work in the Borders. Sadly he passed away last May and I miss him terribly. He gave me a lovely stick with pewter head of a Lab on the end which was exchanged for an original Barbour northumbria. I’ll never use it!!

Your post brought back sad and warm memories of him.

johnstone was his surname.

Missing him

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by gmt 16750 View Post
    Finally started another hobby that I'd fancied trying for years but had just never got around to it - stick making!
    I started late last year and only actually managed to complete 2 sticks in that time (pretty poor effort tbh) and there was a show a week or so ago to mark the 'end of the season' kinda thing. I wasn't going to enter my two lowly efforts but was persuaded to by a few fellow 'stickies’ and I was pleasantly surprised to do pretty well in the 1st Year Novice Class!!
    Pretty chuffed was I!!

Blog Entries
    Make a few now and again.

Master
    My dad didn't make any but had some great looking ones when he was a huntsman with the Eskdale and Ennerdale hounds. Yours look excellent, well worthy of the 1st & 3rd.

Journeyman
    Nice work OP. The sticks look lovely and it's great that you got a first and third.

Very nice indeed GMT, must be very gratifying, and well deserved.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by gmt 16750 View Post
    Pretty chuffed was I!!
    Very nice indeed and the prizes were well deserved - make my efforts look very ordinary indeed!

I started stickmaking through a course with Brian Bannister, but these days probably only make one or two sticks a year, mostly for friends. Every time I receive the magazine from the British Stickmakers Guild it makes me want to head out to the workshop.

Master
    Thank you to everyone for the positive comments!
    I find it a really relaxing way to spend two hrs or so a week, I can really 'switch off' from work stress (self destroyed you see...) and its very satisfying to see the stick evolving as you cut/file it down.

Nicely done sir.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blessed are the 'stick makers' who have no problem 'getting wood'.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Excellent sticks OP, very well done!

Here is my small collection, include a lovely vintage fish handled twisty hazel, an antique ivory and silver Malacca, a 1920's golf putter, a nice antique partridge wood from around 1840, and a couple of vintage brollys.
    The antler one was made by my friend, who has made about 60 or so.