closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Does the bracelet have any stretch?

Craftsman

Does the bracelet have any stretch?

This is, I think, a common question that buyers ask when buying an older watch with a metal bracelet.

Well, for reference, here’s a brand new 1171 from an Omega AD installed today :

As you can see, it’s not just vintage bracelets that have stretch (although to be fair, this isn’t stretch but instead just the way the bracelet was made). Anyway, for those considering a 1171 for their Speedy, buyer beware.

I for one am happy with the bracelet on the whole, especially the look and lightweight comfort.

My only concern...if it has this much tolerance brand new, what will it look like after a few years? More importantly, will it remain structurally sound? My guess is that it will be fine.

But, makes me wonder though...should I pick up another bracelet and stash it away considering how much the cost has risen in the last few years???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Is this not a feature to give a bit more flex to sit comfortably on the wrist. Human wrists are not perfect cylinders and contain compound curves.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Is this not a feature to give a bit more flex to sit comfortably on the wrist. Human wrists are not perfect cylinders and contain compound curves.
    Agreed to a point. I do think the quality of bracelets does vary between manufacturers and some designs are more prone to stretching than others. I'm not quite sure how I feel about OP's example.

I think if you hold it by the clasp like that and let the case hang on the other end most bracelets would have some stretch on it

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbains0708 View Post
    I think if you hold it by the clasp like that and let the case hang on the other end most bracelets would have some stretch on it

Some stretch, yes. But if you look at modern, solid link bracelets, many of them are nearly straight.

My intention wasn’t to disparage the 1171. It was more of a PSA for potential buyers, showing the characteristics of a brand new 1171. Informed buyers are happier buyers.

Apprentice
    I just had a look at my Speedmaster bracelet which is about 8 years old, the amount of stretch is very similar to the first picture. So probably won't stretch very much in the long term.

Grand Master
    Replacement 1171 braceleta are poor quality tat, produced in the far easy cheaply and sold at a huge mark up by Omega. Yet another reason why the brand lacks integrity.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanV View Post
    Some stretch, yes. But if you look at modern, solid link bracelets, many of them are nearly straight.
    and many of them are pretty unconformable too, especially on wrists with less, how shall we say, padding!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Replacement 1171 braceleta are poor quality tat, produced in the far easy cheaply and sold at a huge mark up by Omega. Yet another reason why the brand lacks integrity.

Paul
    The originals aren't/weren't much better, and until recently the 1171's were very cheap compared to most other bracelets. In fact they are still a relative bargain compared to most!

How much did you pay at the boutique Ryan?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanV View Post

My intention wasn’t to disparage the 1171. It was more of a PSA for potential buyers, showing the characteristics of a brand new 1171. Informed buyers are happier buyers.

I think you have a point actually. I've just tried my rolexes,One has the new solid centre links and the other is just solid end links and the bracelets stay quite straight when I hold them by the clasp with the case at the other end. Tried it with my 2007 speedy reduced as well and that has the omega calibre 1164 eta 7750 which is so heavy and again the bracelet hasn't got nearly as much stretch as your original picture so I stand very much corrected. Time for some humble pie...

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Paul
    No they're not. Sigh. No it doesn't. Sigh.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    No they're not. Sigh. No it doesn't. Sigh.
    Sigh all you like, buddy.

It's hard to be impressed by the replacement bracelets Omega sell for the old watches, the clasps are soft and the metal's slightly yellower than the originals. I know this because I`ve compared two supposedly similar bracelets side by side.

Prices are high, quality's mediocre, that's a rip off in my parlance and for that reason I question the integrity of the brand.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 24th March 2018 at 14:33.

Craftsman

Does the bracelet have any stretch?

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    The originals aren't/weren't much better, and until recently the 1171's were very cheap compared to most other bracelets. In fact they are still a relative bargain compared to most!

How much did you pay at the boutique Ryan?
    I will agree that the bracelet is cheaper than I expected. When I first enquired about buying the bracelet from a couple ADs here in Vienna, they quoted me €700-800 (but that was without looking up the model number, which makes me think they assumed it would cost the same as the new model).

I was therefore pleasantly surprised when the actual price turned out to be €420. Not exactly cheap mind you (3x the cost of a new SKX009) but not soul crushing either.

I want to reiterate that the bracelet is quite comfortable because it’s flexible and lightweight.

Last edited by RyanV; 24th March 2018 at 08:43.