closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Why do some nationalities wear their watches loose on the wrist.

Why do some nationalities wear their watches loose on the wrist.

Middle Eastern men, Indian sub continent and today on the TV a Russian person being interviwed was wearing his Rolex very loose on the wrist.

Seeing as these people can afford high end watches, why not get the bracelet sized?

Do they think a loose watch with a lot of play at the base of the hand is somehow more appealing.

Or is it fashionable in these countries to wear their watches loose on the wrist.

Banned
    Ally/Ali will be along with the answer he found in a book he once read.

I don't think it's nationality-dependent, just based on individual desires (cultural background is likely to influence these desires, so perhaps there's the link). Some people like a big dangly thing (oo er) that rattles on their wrist and thus draws attention to it. Others less so.

I think whatever the person is comfortable with to be honest I wear my watches loose

Master
    Working with someone whose sub regularly spins freely on their wrist. Does my head in! It’s a watch not a bracelet...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    It’s a watch not a bracelet...
    This^ nail, head.

Guess these people would say it's the other way around..

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I wear my watches loose.
    If I wanted to wear a cilice I'd convert to Catholicism.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I wear my watches loose.
    If I wanted to wear a cilice I'd convert to Catholicism.
    There's loose and then there's loose - how many fingers can you get between your watch bracelet/band and your wrist? I can get one at a push on a leather NATO and a fingertip on an Oyster bracelet.

I saw a Englishman on the Tube the other day wearing a 116610 LV like a bangle.

Once, while I was in Dublin, I saw an Irishman wearing a Vacheron Overseas that kept spinning round his wrist every time he took a sip of Guinness.

I remember fondly the night in Bucharest when a local man, a little worse for wear on Tuica, showed us all how he could squeeze his dog's head through the bracelet of his Royal Oak 18k – while he was still wearing it. Oh how we laughed, all the way to the veterinary A & E.

Did I tell you about the guy in Senegal? And there was that bloke in Boston… and the fella in Phuket … and don't get me started on that loosey goosey Brucey from Melbourne.

Your thread is ridiculous

Master
    Certainly a male female divide and looks more elegant on a lady to wear as a bracelet.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    There's loose and then there's loose - how many fingers can you get between your watch bracelet/band and your wrist? I can get one at a push on a leather NATO and a fingertip on an Oyster bracelet.
    Two fingertips. I wear them so they'll almost spin but not quite.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nansbread1 View Post
    Middle Eastern men, Indian sub continent
    Both those places are hot, could it be that a looser fit is more comfortable in the heat? I wear mine tight, but often find that sweaty and uncomfortable on holiday.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seang View Post
    Both those places are hot, could it be that a looser fit is more comfortable in the heat? I wear mine tight, but often find that sweaty and uncomfortable on holiday.
    Beat me to it, the obvious answer is because of the heat in the countries you mention, in summer time I wear mine more loosely, it’s not nice having the watch stuck to yer wrist and leaving marks.

Quote Originally Posted by trainspanner View Post
    Beat me to it, the obvious answer is because of the heat in the countries you mention, in summer time I wear mine more loosely, it’s not nice having the watch stuck to yer wrist and leaving marks.
    Change the strap then? In the summer I go to NATOs usually, which keep the watch secure but allow for more flex.

Master
    I loosen my watch out one micro for holiday so I don't doubt heat is a factor.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

This thread is hideous.

Quote Originally Posted by ibby7 View Post
    Ally/Ali will be along with the answer he found in a book he once read.
    Sorry but I’m busy reading Easy Meat at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Sorry but I’m busy reading Easy Meat at the moment.
    I would have thought this was more your style.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Nothing to do with nationalities.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Men from other countries wearing watches, loose.

Us Welsh don't do time. On the rare occasions we need to tell the time - like if the rugby's on or we need to bake some Welsh cakes - we use a stick and the sun.

No need for any of that new fangled nonsense like.

Together with 'which wrist' = personal preference.

But thanks for bringing it to the attention of the forum.
    Last edited by number2; 23rd March 2018 at 08:43.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

This ^^^^^^^ plus personal preference.

Nothing worse that an tight sweaty strap i find.
    Last edited by Andyg; 23rd March 2018 at 08:48.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Even here that is hot as hell ee dont wear them like that
    Some people like bracelets not watches

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Working with someone whose sub regularly spins freely on their wrist. Does my head in! It’s a watch not a bracelet...

What he said!!!! Not a bracelet!

Craftsman
    One thing that I never realised until I bought a bracelet for my Sinn U1000 is just how much my wrist changes in size over 24 hours.
    Its normally loose but a 3am in bed I have woken up because of the sensation of something gripping my wrist tightly.
    I have had the same thing happen with the leather strap on my Sinn 103.

However, in 10 years straight of wearing my Sinn U2 on its silicone / rubber strap, it never once felt uncomfortable, winter or summer, here in the UK or overseas in Deserts and Tropical Rainforests.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    This thread is hideous.

Well played, Sir!
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master
    Middle Eastern men, Indian sub continent and today on the TV a Russian person being interviwed was wearing his Rolex very loose on the wrist.

Seeing as these people can afford high end watches, why not get the bracelet sized?

Do they think a loose watch with a lot of play at the base of the hand is somehow more appealing.

Or is it fashionable in these countries to wear their watches loose on the wrist.
    Why do some people like bananas?

Master

... There is a reason.

You can use it as knuckle brass to punch visiting foreigners.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Why do some people like bananas?
    Soft, sweet and full of energy?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

TBH, a lot of the time the watch is worn as it comes out off the box, no adjustment of bracelet, removal of stickers etc. Especially if received as a gift.

Recently I was standing in Watchfinder in CW and a banker came in wearing a GMT Master II with the bezel protector still on, when the manager suggested it shouldn’t be worn like that he was told “so why is it on there then, I’m not going to knock the watch in the box am I?” Which, to be fair is true :-)

And then we have the boyfriend watch look as demonstrated by Italian ladies wearing watches worth €€€€s that could be worn around their biceps the strap/bracelet is so loose, “But it’s the look “ I was told by a college when asked why her Daytona was literally coming off her hand when gesticulating wildly to make a point in a ‘discussion’

I even offered to adjust the bracelet myself .

Master
    Perhaps also there's more of a culture of men wearing loose wrist 'jewelry' in the form of bangles / wrist ties etc. so it looks/feels more natural to do the same with watches.

Craftsman
    Probably for the same reason some ‘nationalities’ wear their trousers around their a**e

Craftsman
    As others have said I think it’s just personal choice. I wear my watch a lot tighter than others would, I don’t like it really moving around at all.

Banned
    I think some people almost wear their watch like it’s a piece of jewellery like a bangle or a bracelet and wear it loosely for that reason

Master
    Most of the danglers I’ve seen inevitably turn out to be wearing a fake.

I don’t know if either they feel they get more bang for their buck by using all the links or they just can’t be bothered getting it adjusted (and the seller of a hookey watch probably isn’t going to resize it for them).

Not being WIS its doubtful they will do it themselves or bother to seek out the nevessary info and tools.

Funnily enough I recently helped one colleague to source a new leather strap for his planet ocean.

He happily paid the money for it. Complained bitterly about how the original leather had only lasted 2 years. Recently he admitted not only was this watch fake but all his others were ( his two tone sub I had clocked as fake years ago as the gold had started to peel).

So his hookey Omega has got a strap on it that probably cost more than the watch.

He describes his watches as being the finest “first copies” (second time I’ve heard this concept from fake watch owners).

I’m amazed purveyors of knock off watches qualify their superior taste by claiming that they only buy fakes of the highest quality!

Its a bit like saying you only eat superior crap sandwiches with bits of sweetcorn in it.
    Last edited by Mr.D; 26th March 2018 at 04:36.

Bloody Canadians.