closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex V439438 - 116233 reported stolen while going through Airport Security....

Master

Rolex V439438 - 116233 reported stolen while going through Airport Security....

Gent's Rolex V439438 - 116233 is reported to have been stolen while its owner was passing through security at Luton Airport, 21/3/2018.

Bedfordshire Police Crime Reference number is: C/1246/2018

I have more details if required.

Haywood

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    How exactly did this happen? I can only assume it ‘went missing’ when the customs staff ask you to remove all metal incl watches when going through the scanner. I have been asked several times to place my watch in the trays for scanning.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

With the amount of CCTV surely this is a relatively easy one to solve...there’s only a tiny amount of time, distance and people where this could be taken.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    How did this happen, what details do you have?

Stuart

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    How did this happen, what details do you have?

Stuart

I'm afraid the details I have relate to the claimant / police etc, rather than the exact manner by which it was taken.

The stage where you take your kit off and put it into the trays always strikes me as a risky bun-fight. While you're being frisked by a joyless troll you watch the tray with your keys, Rolex and rucksack full of gentleman's relaxation magazines glide troublingly ahead, along the rollers towards the busy hands of the gipsy family in front of you, off on their third break of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    I'm afraid the details I have relate to the claimant / police etc, rather than the exact manner by which it was taken.

The stage where you take your kit off and put it into the trays always strikes me as a risky bun-fight. While you're being frisked by a joyless troll you watch the tray with your keys, Rolex and rucksack full of gentleman's relaxation magazines glide troublingly ahead, along the rollers towards the busy hands of the gipsy family in front of you, off on their third break of the year.
    There will be a tiny time slot where it could have been taken combined with CCTV and passport information/check in times, would make this an easy one to solve surely. I suppose finding said miscreant if they’re not a UK native might be a challenge.

Blog Entries
    You can refuse to remove the watch - however, do so politely.

I have done so, for the reasons outlined above & not had issues.

It may be different in different airports though.

z

Master
    Blog Entries
    I put mine in a watch pouch and bury it in my rucksack amongst all my clutter!!

Usually I chuck my bag through the scanner as late as poss before I myself get scanned so that the bag is never really on its own until it goes through the machine! I kind of follow it all the way as much as possible.
    Last edited by kultschar; 10th April 2018 at 14:01.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    I do the same, as much to protect it from damage as from getting stolen

^ yep I do the same and its when the Oakley watch vaults are ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post

Usually I chuck my bag through the scanner as late as poss before I myself get scanned so that the bag is never really on its own until it goes through the machine! I kind of follow it all the way as much as possible.
    I fly a lot for work at the moment and do just this - watch in the bag and then try to time my walk through security with my trays' as best I can.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    You can refuse to remove the watch - however, do so politely.

I have done so, for the reasons outlined above & not had issues.

It may be different in different airports though.

z
    Do you know if that approach works with the new full-body scanners too?

I’ve never taken off my watch and have never had any issues... yes I’ve had to be ‘wanded’ and patted down a few times but it’s always been moderately enjoyable!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Do you know if that approach works with the new full-body scanners too?
    Yes - it has worked for me.
    In fact, in the USA (Minneapolis) I was instructed not to bother removing watch & belt as I was ushered through the express (body scanner) line.

z

Craftsman
    Mine goes into a jacket pocket and the jacket goes through the scanner.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Master
    Never had to take a watch off at Security anywhere in the world.

Craftsman
    I recently lost a belt going through security, I thought they were joking when it didn’t come through but in the end had to walk on as I was already tight for time.

It does always surprise me that people would simply empty their pockets in to a tray and walk along, despite the security opportunist thieves seem to operate anywhere.

I try to put all items/valuables in my main bag, rip it up and walk through. Less chance of someone picking up a whole bag.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    How exactly did this happen? I can only assume it ‘went missing’ when the customs staff ask you to remove all metal incl watches when going through the scanner. I have been asked several times to place my watch in the trays for scanning.

Stuart

Just a minor point of correction but the outbound security controls are operated by airport security staff and not Customs officers from the UK Border Force.

As other respondents have said, I am amazed that this could happen. I always remove my watch and secure safely in my carry-on bag before entering the security controls......that said I do this to avoid damage to my watch and never imagined that there would be a risk of the watch being stolen!!

Thanks for posting.

Can you take your watch off and hold it in your hand as you pass through? I have seen sunglasses and other lighter items, being stuck/damaged in scanners but have never had a issues with my watch.

Craftsman
    We usually fly from Luton and now I’m happy with my paranoia, watch goes in travel pouch in blazer pocket buttoned up and then watched like a hawk. They way the cattle market is operated I’m not surprised this has happened.
    Not the greatest way to start your holiday

Master
    This article may serve to frighten !

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ity-trays.html

Any loose items that aren't already packed away in a bag, I usually move into my coat pockets as I'm joining the queue. That way by the time I get to the front, nobody is going to see any expensive-looking items going into a tray and if they do try to nick something, they'd have to grab my entire coat or spend time rifling through pockets. I take off my belt whether asked to or not to minimise the chances of a detector going off so I can get through as quickly as possible. Of course it's still possible to get held up for random reasons but there's a limit to what you can do.

As that article points out, the whole security setup is only really geared up for certain things. I could get started on the whole "security theatre" thing but I won't for now. Clearly, if thieves have figured out they can target high value items and get away with it, unless the system changes to make sure they get caught quickly, they're going to do it more and more.

Craftsman
    Someone should start a 'recommend me a holiday watch' thread!

I personally never take anything on holiday that I couldnt afford to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by anz3001 View Post
    Someone should start a 'recommend me a holiday watch' thread!

I personally never take anything on holiday that I couldnt afford to lose.
    Same here. However, most of the time I go through an airport, it's a single day round trip to somewhere nearby like London, for a meeting. I suspect the same is true for many on here.

Scary... I have kept it on at times but it vary by airport... generally put it in bag to avoid a quick snatch...

Master

Rolex V439438 - 116233 reported stolen while going through Airport Security....

Had my watch in one of those trays coming back from Ibiza last year some old lady dropped her case on the corner of my tray watch a load of change flipped over and crashed all over the floor! Lost 50 euros luckily couldn’t see any damage to watch! Not taking it off again!!! Just say can’t un fasten clasp sorry I can’t get it off.!!

I have been asked a few times to take my belt off and now loop it through the handle of one bag - more so that I do not leave it behind. But think I might additionally loop through my wife's bag to hopefully make it more cumbersome for someone else to 'mistakenly' pick up our bags.

My wife is always badgering me to keep an eye on things as we pass through airport security and to date I’ve always told her to calm down, after reading this post and article I think I’ll be more vigilant.

Wonder if it might be viable to take the airport authority to the small claims courts for this if the loss is at a uk airport? After all it is their rules and commands that we have to follow and if they ask for items to be removed and scanned then surely there must be some onus of responsibility on their part?

Craftsman
    Just to get you all really worried.Once some f—— gets Your watch on His wrist how You going to prove it’s Yours anyway?

Craftsman
    Had my phone taken when going through Gatwick security earlier this year. Placed in the tray as requested and then held up waiting to be scanned, by the time I got through it had gone. I did ring it a few times before it was switched off. Didn't think to use the find my Iphone App at the time but set the erase function if its ever switched on again. As I was running late for a flight, I didn't have time to chase it up at the time. All my stuff will be secured away in my rucksack when I go away next week.

Master
    I normally place my valuables in zipped pockets of my jacket and then send jacket thru on tray with carry on luggage.
    All whilst watching jacket and bag like a hawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I was asked to take my Sky Dweller off at Heathrow on Saturday. Politely refused and they accepted it.

Not sure I’ll be as brave with the US guys on the way back if they ask.