closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RESULT!: A CALL FOR SUPPORT FROM THE TZ-UK COMMUNITY

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Signed. Good luck.

Our boy is only in reception but I can imagine how upset your daughter is. Expecting an 11 yo to commute for an hour a day is preposterous irrespective of the software issues.

Have you contacted your MP?

Have you spoken directly with the head of the desired school, they do have some power to bed rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I would also say engaging your MP is a good idea! They work for you or they should and nothing gets public servants shuffling around quicker than a letter from an MP...
    Thanks guys, yes we’ve spoken with Caroline Lucas our MP who lobbied the council heavily last year to change their policy on this issue, but ultimately she was unsuccessful. Brighton Council is Labour led, and even though she’s an MP she obviously didn’t have the clout.

What I haven’t explained yet and what’s particularly unfair is the reallocation process:

After the initial offers are made, a handful of places always become available due to some children going into private education and not requiring the place, or when families move out of the area, etc. All children who didn’t get their first choice go into a reallocation pool with a chance to get one of those places. But, there is no priority for children like our daughter who got NONE of her choices over a child who’s been offered, for example, their second choice - they’re all in the same reallocation pot together, which seems totally unjust, as it means the more unlucky you were at the initial offer, the less likely you are to get a place at you first choice. :(

Craftsman
    993. Good luck

997 - Hope things get sorted to your satisfaction...

Adam

Journeyman
    1004. With a daughter who has moved to senior school this year I can totally empathise with you. Good luck.

Master
    Softer not software!

Only 200 to go

Signed and good luck! #1022

1026. My experience of common sense in local authorities is that using sense to come to a descision isn’t very common. Good luck

Craftsman
    The wife has come in @ 1031

Best of luck with your petition - I really hope it works out for your daughter in the end.

I've signed in at No. 1034

Blog Entries

Franco

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    All done....
    Good luck.

No. 1048. Good luck, Graham!

Journeyman
    1052. Best wishes.

Done, now 1057.
    Went through similar a few years ago and the head of the school we were trying to get into lied directly to my face during the appeal meeting.
    Changed my opinion, somewhat... 🤔

Master
    Good luck 1068

Master
    Done. You have my greatest sympathy. This is one of the main thimgs that p*sses me off so much about the UK. It is an absolutely appalling state of affairs.

Craftsman
    1069, good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    1071 Signed .. best of luck

Master
    1077 , best of luck

Signed, #1110

Hope you get a good outcome, I'm not looking forward to the possibility of this situation in a couple of years.

Paul.

Craftsman
    Signed

Done. I am 1,113.

Craftsman
    I am Spartacus.

Sorry 1,116. Got a little carried away.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Done. My kids are well past school age but I would have been distraught had that happened to mine. Hope it ends well.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Signed, all the best

Done, good luck

Master
    Blog Entries
    Done - 1183 - not far to go now :)

Craftsman
    done 1199

1211, all the best.

Very close...come on come on

1221, not far now

Master
    Got the Mrs to sign not far off now 1228

Signed.

Signed. I was number 1243 so you’ll be there by 8pm hopefully!

The very best of luck to you all.

David

Master
    With the help of you all we’ve got the required amount of signatures already which is really fantastic, and will get our 15 mins in front of the council. This may not amount to anything in itself, but will be guaranteed to help raise the issue locally, and with a bit of luck we’ll be able to apply enough pressure that they relent.

I also wanted to say that I’ve shown our daughter all the comments of support on this thread so far, and she is genuinely dumbstruck that a bunch of strangers on Daddy’s funny watch website have shown such kindness.

She wants to say thank you herself (genuinely no idea what she has planned..) but for now, from me, a HUGE THANKS.

Master
    So happy to read that you got there. Best of luck.

Blog Entries
    Fantastic, good luck to you and especially your daughter. Fingers crossed

Master
    Signed from me, my eldest daughter is going into secondary school this year as well. Fortunately she got her 1st choice but just being through it I know how stressful this can be. Hope your daughter enjoys whichever school she goes to and makes lasting friends (which I'm sure she will).

I hope they don't scrutinize my signature too close, since I've never set foot in the UK!

Master
    Good luck Graham fingers crossed for your daughter

Craftsman
    Signed. The school system is an absolute shambles wherever you are but Brighton in particular sounds awful.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Signed and best of luck to you. Please let us know how it turns out.

Signed. Sorry to hear about this & good luck

Craftsman
    Done. Hope it works out fine.
    1301 now
    Regards
    V

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    This is not life or limb but is something that's brought great sadness to our daughter.

On 1st March our daughter, along with other Year 6 Primary school children up and down the country, received news of which secondary school she'll be going to. Where we live in Brighton and Hove a lottery system is used - mainly due to the fact the two most central Brighton schools - the only ones in our immediate catchment area - are the most popular and are often over-subscribed. Our Daughter had her heart set on one of these two schools, having very close friendships with a couple of children who started there already and are now Yr7's (what we used to call first-year seniors). Her peers in her class and year at her current Primary school also almost unanimously selected this same school as their first choice too, and there's been much excitement and anticipation in the last few months leading up.

When the emails came out to parents on March 1st we learned that our daughter didn't get any of her 3 choices of school (you must choose 3) and instead had been offered a school a long way away, well outside of the city. I had to break the news to her as we left the playground while around us her friends were each learning their news and chattering excitedly about where they'd each be going. We later found out she was the only child in her class not to be offered a place at one of their preferred schools, and the only child in the whole year to be allocated the school she has been given. She would be leaving behind all the friendships she's built in Primary school (some really lovely kids) and starting over again. On top of that, nurturing new friendships- especially outside of school time would be hard for her, as most of the children who attend this school live in its vicinity, which is a 30 min drive away for us.

We've tried to explain to her that she's not been singled out and it's purely random, but it's hard for her to understand with her being the only one. At the age of 11 these things really matter, and while I know as an adult that unexpected turns in life can sometimes work out for the best or make us stronger, I still can't help feeling gutted for her that she won't be making that transition with any of her other friends. She's an only child, and so the importance of those friendships to her perhaps runs a little deeper too.

The Council have known about the current population spike for a number of years of course due to census data and the numbers coming up through Primary, and this situation was predicted. Two years ago it was announced a new secondary school would be built to cope with the additional demand, but after many promises this would be open in time for this September's intake, they announced in the Autumn that it would not be going ahead. The two main secondary schools were opposed to this new school at the time, and both offered to increase their intake by an additional class each for the next three years, until the pupil numbers are predicted to decline again. One of them has kept it's promise for this year, but the other has deferred that promise until next year.

There are just 37 other children across the whole city in the same situation as our daughter who've been scattered to schools across the city and beyond.

I'm asking a small favour of each of you to sign the petition below, asking Brighton & Hove council to reconsider their position. All that's needed are 1,250 signatures and that will allow us as parents to give a presentation at the next Council comittee meeting and hopefully enable at least some of these kids to start school along with their friends. There's no stipulation that those who sign must live in the area or be affected by this directly, so I'd be hugely grateful if you could lend your support by adding your name:

https://phantom.brighton-hove.gov.uk...TPID=21654301&

Many thanks
    Graham
    Done.

I don’t know you but I’ve a 21year old just completing her masters. She would not have achieved this I’d it wasn’t for community, school friends and local schools.

Jon

Master

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    👍🏻 What a lovely young lady you’re raising. A credit to you. She’ll go far wherever she ends up 👏🏻👏🏻