closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Potential Puppy Advice

Potential Puppy Advice

All,

Sadly we lost our beloved Shihtzu (Pancho) last friday week. He was 14 years old and had been through his fair share of scrapes but had a fantastic life and was loved by everyone who knew / met him.

We were all absolutely devastated. As was our other dog who is a lot younger (4) and only seemed to get on with Pancho.

At the moment he seems to be doing ok and is not pining or in any kind of distress and hopefully will stay that way. But i am seriously considering getting another Shihtzu as company for him and i think he is more likely to associate the new arrival with Pancho if he was the same breed.

Would anyone have any reputable sources / advice for this breed.

Many thanks.

Regards to all.

Ben

Dogs have no idea of breed or even species. Getting the same breed is more for you and your family. FWIW I did the opposite (completely different breed) because you can’t avoid comparing and it wouldn’t be fair to the new dog to be compared to Pancho.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Hello

I didn't realise that dogs had no concept of breed. Pancho got very excited when he saw his own people as my daughter would call them and they got very excited when they saw him.

I do take your point but we really do like the breed. Will certainly not rush into anything.

Thanks for your post.

Best regards,

Ben

Blog Entries
    I know an elderly couple who had an EBT, just like my wife owned (when I met her >20 yrs ago). Their bullterrier was the sweetest, loveliest and most adorable dog ever. Jacqueline; with a pink ribbon around her neck. When their bullterrier passed away, they didn't wait too long to get another one, a pup (bitch). That dog was the complete opposite. It really wasn't a nice dog. It was too much for them. The Dutch EBT club found another home for the dog and they were 'dogless' for a while. Now they have a wonderful, prizewinning labrador in their home.

Bottomline is: you can be so attached to your dog, that your expectations can be too high when you get another one. Perhaps it is an idea to look beyond the breed you're familiar with.

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 22nd March 2018 at 16:52.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I know an elderly couple who had an EBT, just like my wife (when I met her >20 yrs ago).

Menno
    Your wife was an old EBT?? Sorry Menno I read it that way and it made me chuckle - no offence. I'm needing my day brightened and this helped.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    I didn't realise that dogs had no concept of breed.
    Dogs are much more inclusive than we are.
    If you’re part of the household, you’re part of the pack. The first thing they do is determine their place in the hierarchy of that pack. The clearer the hierarchy the happier the dog.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Your wife was an old EBT?? Sorry Menno I read it that way and it made me chuckle - no offence. I'm needing my day brightened and this helped.

Jim

I see where I went wrong! I've altered it. Thanks, it didn't look too bright...

Hello

Agree about the hierarchy.

Pancho was decidedly unhappy when the wife and daughter appeared with Sonny. He was soon shown his place by Pancho.