closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Everyhing else seems to be made in China..........Jumble find

Everyhing else seems to be made in China..........Jumble find

Local Jumble sale here today. Lots of watches (well, this is Switzerland) but mostly not very interesting and overpriced (for the same reason).

I was just about ready to call it a day when I spotted a rather nice bauhaus dial.

Turned out to be a a Chinese Seagull 19 jewels, manual wind, dress watch.

OK, not exactly a Rolex, but the guy was asking $30 for it.

The strap was crap, but the watch was clean and looked new and unused.

Anyway, I took it home and looked inside. Movement is the ubiquitous Seagull ST5, again looking brand new.

According to WIKI .........

"The ST5 is a 19 jewel, manual winding mechanical watch movement which was manufactured by the Tianjin Watch Factory from 1966 until 19xx. It was the first movement to be 100% designed and produced in China using Chinese tooling, and it was first used in DongFeng brand watches. The ST5 met the National First Grade standard, which may have been a factor in the Tianjin factory being granted an exemption from production of the Chinese standard movement (Tongji). The ST5 movement is prized by collectors for its distinctive 'Sea-Gull Stripes' decoration comprising graceful radiating arcs engraved deeply on the plates. Due to the hand-finishing, no two are exactly alike."

I'm sure it's not rare (production numbers must be huge), but I rather like it. 35mm but that's OK with me. Strap is temporary.

Not a bad price for an in-house, hand-finished movement, I suppose.

Last edited by calypso; 25th March 2018 at 16:03.

Craftsman
    Nice looking piece and interesting find!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Very nice, I’d be pleased to find that. Interesting shock protection and large balance (to me who knows next to nothing anyway).