closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Question on redundancy.

Master
    Blog Entries

Question on redundancy.

As I understand it, an employee is entitled to one weeks pay per year worked.
    Assuming this is correct, how are half years treated? The person in question has got 2 years and three months service.
    Also, what notice period would we be talking?

Thanks in advance.

Notice period isn’t fixed I don’t think Dave, it’s usually in the employment contract, it varies from company to company.
    Cheers..
    Jase

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-redundancy-pay

You can check the statutory pay here, just fill it in as if you were the one being made redundant (with their age and pay if known) ^^^

Master
    It used to depend on age as well those over 40 iirc got a week and a half per year.

It’s only ever been whole years when I’ve been made redundant in the past.

Craftsman
    Statutory notice is calculated as below. Most employers offer contractual notice periods that are better than the statutory minimum. Similarly, statutory redundancy pay is the minimum and many employers offer better as part of the contract, usually by increasing the number of weeks paid per year of service and/or by raising the statutory capped weekly wage of £489 to a higher figure, usually as a percentage of the actual weekly wage. Sometimes the contract or custom and practice allows for part years to be paid pro rata. Therefore you should look at the contract or the employee handbook. Otherwise Vin’s link to the statutory calculator is your friend

-one week's notice if the employee has been employed by the employer continuously for one month or more, but for less than two years
    -two weeks' notice if the employee has been employed by the employer continuously for two years, and one additional week's notice for each further complete year of continuous employment, up to a maximum of 12 weeks. For example if an employee has worked for 5 years then they are entitled to 5 weeks' notice.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks all,
    Questions answered.

We had some redundancies last year and on average we paid out 5 months salary. Way above statutory

Craftsman
    at my place it's 3 weeks pay for every full year, up to a max of a full year's salary.

We are pretty lucky, we get 1 and a half months for every year up to a max of 2 years pay