closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BS3621 locks for insurance

BS3621 locks for insurance

Rang my contents insurance company today because I was unsure about a Clause on the policy about my front door lock...turns out I have the wrong lock that they need so I have to change it to a BS3621 lock for my policy to be valid. Has anyone else had any experience like this? Are locks in the uk all a general size or do they vary? Would be great if I can get one that's the same size.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    According to the Aviva ad on tv they do not ask for it cuz nobody knows if theirs are.

BS3621 locks for insurance

Makes me laugh that advert
    Last edited by Rbains0708; 21st March 2018 at 21:51.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    According to the Aviva ad on tv they do not ask for it cuz nobody knows if theirs are.
    Makes me laugh that advert. Unfortunately I'm far too ocd so I check these things,good job I did as my policy isn't valid without the right lock. Insurance companies will do anything to get out of paying

Craftsman
    I’ve gained a new interest in door locks recently. I watched a police officers gain entry in to a house within 1-2 minutes recently. (Without ‘The Big Key’). What’s more I watched him do it and can’t believe how easy it is to breach a euro cylinder lock.

Depends on the type of lock you’re talking about. Best bet is to measure yours, and buy one the same.

Remember to measure the offset of the keyhole from the door edge, as well as lock dimensions.

You can also use the change to make sure you get your locks keyed alike, if they aren’t.

Master
    BS3621 applies specifically to traditional 5 lever mortice locks, such as Chubb, Union, Legge etc. and as fitted to timber doors, or Yale type BS3621 Nightlatches.

For the more usual PVCu or composite doors fitted to the majority of houses over the past 20 years, there will be a multipoint lock mechanism fitted with a Europrofile lock cylinder, the complete assembly should then comply with the PAS24 standard. BS3621 does NOT apply to this type of door. For maximum security, the lock cylinder should tested to Secured By Design Diamond 3* standard and you could also consider fitting security handles as a belt-and-braces exercise. Note that the cylinder may drive the lock with either a cam or a gear, and in a wide variety of lengths and offsets, so you need to do some research before purchase.

Insurance companies have been pitifully slow to adapt their policies to changes in the security market, and often will still specifiy a "Chubb lock or equivalent", when the Chubb lock brand itself has been discontinued for several years. The equivalent lock is now the C Series from Union but other brands do a BS3621 lock.

Traditional mortise locks on timber doors in the UK are reasonably standard with a 57mm backset (the distance from the edge of the door to the centreline on the keyhole), and most can either be swapped directly or made to fit with little alteration. However, many new doors are fitted with DIN standard architectural locks, with backsets from 50mm upwards and much larger lock cases. These will generally be fitted with Europrofile or Oval lock cylinders and should be fitted with a security escutcheon to protect the cylinder.

Older Europrofile lock cylinders can be quite easy to defeat, although for obvious reasons I will not go into the methods of entry here. Newer cylinders have very effective burglar-resistant features designed to delay entry. Be aware that in some areas, the preferred method of entry, particularly with PVCu doors, is to kick through the panels and ignore the locks completely.

If in doubt, consult a locksmith who is a member of the Master Locksmiths Association who will advise and install the best solution for your property. www.locksmiths.co.uk has a list of the ones in your area.

PS - as the OP is in London, you might do well to consider fitting a Banham rim deadbolt, which is a very popular fitment to typical Victorian/Edwardian etc timber front doors. Very secure and with a characterisitic triangular external lock escutcheon. Not cheap however and rarely seen North of Watford.
    Last edited by UKMike; 21st March 2018 at 23:13.

Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    BS3621 applies specifically to traditional 5 lever mortice locks, such as Chubb, Union, Legge etc. and as fitted to timber doors, or Yale type BS3621 Nightlatches.

For the more usual PVCu or composite doors fitted to the majority of houses over the past 20 years, there will be a multipoint lock mechanism fitted with a Europrofile lock cylinder, the complete assembly should then comply with the PAS24 standard. BS3621 does NOT apply to this type of door. For maximum security, the lock cylinder should tested to Secured By Design Diamond 3* standard and you could also consider fitting security handles as a belt-and-braces exercise. Note that the cylinder may drive the lock with either a cam or a gear, and in a wide variety of lengths and offsets, so you need to do some research before purchase.

Insurance companies have been pitifully slow to adapt their policies to changes in the security market, and often will still specifiy a "Chubb lock or equivalent", when the Chubb lock brand itself has been discontinued for several years. The equivalent lock is now the C Series from Union but other brands do a BS3621 lock.

Traditional mortise locks on timber doors in the UK are reasonably standard with a 57mm backset (the distance from the edge of the door to the centreline on the keyhole), and most can either be swapped directly or made to fit with little alteration. However, many new doors are fitted with DIN standard architectural locks, with backsets from 50mm upwards and much larger lock cases. These will generally be fitted with Europrofile or Oval lock cylinders and should be fitted with a security escutcheon to protect the cylinder.

Older Europrofile lock cylinders can be quite easy to defeat, although for obvious reasons I will not go into the methods of entry here. Newer cylinders have very effective burglar-resistant features designed to delay entry. Be aware that in some areas, the preferred method of entry, particularly with PVCu doors, is to kick through the panels and ignore the locks completely.

If in doubt, consult a locksmith who is a member of the Master Locksmiths Association who will advise and install the best solution for your property. www.locksmiths.co.uk has a list of the ones in your area.
    Great thanks for your help

Banned
    For traditional external timber doors , you could be covered with a Yale nightlatch lock like the PBS1 which is BS3621 or you could fit any nightlatch with a 5 lever insurance deadlock such as era or union which has the kite mark bs3621 which again would Cover you .

Craftsman
    For me PVC doors are the biggest con in security out there!
    For years companies have been selling these, showing all the fancy hook bolts but protected by a euro cylinder that could be comprised in seconds!
    Saying that in the past few years euro cylinders have come on leaps and bounds.
    But there is a reason insurance companies still quote BS3621 locks, because they are still the best. Fit one of these with two internal star bolts top and bottom and nobody's coming in through this!
    This is from someone who could hand pick a dozen euro cylinder and standard yale locks in less than 5 minutes. And in my hayday also BS3621 locks with pick wires (smug)
    Loved sitting there with my eyes shut feeling the false gates.
    Was alot easier with a drill templates kit but not as much fun.
    Give UPVC doors a miss and go for a composite door (steel lined) with a proper lever lock and shoot bolt top and bottom and you will not go far wrong.
    Just a matter of securing rest of openings then!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app