closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch box growth?

Journeyman

Watch box growth?

I’ve recently got to thinking about the size of the boxes that watches come in and realised that there seems to be some seriously large boxes around nowadays. The modern speedy seems a good example of this, but I believe that others are keen not to be outdone. Looking at some older watches (from around 25 years ago) the boxes are to be somewhat more compact.
    Is it just me or are they getting bigger and if so which brand is the current leader in this race to use the most space at the back of my attic?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Is it a function of the amount of extra gumpf that watches come with these days that we all have to keep just in case? I have a few watches from Christopher Ward and they newer boxes are larger which might tie in with a bigger is more upmarket/ luxurious thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by steve7 View Post

Is it just me or are they getting bigger and if so which brand is the current leader in this race to use the most space at the back of my attic?

I think the current 1:4 scale model of Blenheim Palace the Speedmaster Pro currently comes in must be up there. I don't mean to be too derisory; I'm sure it's well made and nice to have the watch come with a couple of straps etc., but it is a really sizeable box. Can see why that would be ideal if it's your first good watch (or only/one of a small few). Can also see why it would be really irritating if you don't want anything other than a small box with the desired watch and attendant paperwork.

Craftsman
    Absolutely agree. Who really needs any of those big boxes, like the ones that Panerai and Speedy comes in. A thumbs-up for Rolex in this aspect, IMO.

Craftsman
    T'was not ever thus.

Small leather wallet in a green cardboard box -- 1994 style.

Leaving aside the massive suitcase my Speedy came in, I recently bought a Dreyfuss dress watch, which came with a box big enough for 5 watches.

Happily, it has five inserts, so now all my dress watches live in there with it.

Grand Master
    I really can’t see why watches have to be supplied in such large boxes, I’m sure there’s some psychology behind it and the marketing bozos will claim it’s necessary, probably using a version of the English language (marketing babble) I don’t understand.

I have a 1960s Omega box that I’ll be selling, it’s around 4” square and it does the job it’s designed to do, it’s sensible and functional but as I don’t need it ( and it probably isn’t original to the watch) I’m happy to let it go to someone who takes boxes more seriously than I do.

I’m sure some folks love the big boxes; to me selling a watch in a small suitcase or a wooden box like a bloody coffin is plain silly.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    I think the current 1:4 scale model of Blenheim Palace the Speedmaster Pro currently comes in must be up there. I don't mean to be too derisory; I'm sure it's well made and nice to have the watch come with a couple of straps etc., but it is a really sizeable box. Can see why that would be ideal if it's your first good watch (or only/one of a small few). Can also see why it would be really irritating if you don't want anything other than a small box with the desired watch and attendant paperwork.
    Guess they needed SOMETHING to point at when it came to the umpteenth price raise...

Back in '98 when I bought new Omega's, I got a little grey leather box and a white cardboard outer box.

Agree the boxes are often so big it makes storing them a real issue, especially of you use a safe. In the end with such big boxes you might end up taking the watches out of the boxes to keep them secure. Complete madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Father Time View Post
    Agree the boxes are often so big it makes storing them a real issue, especially of you use a safe. In the end with such big boxes you might end up taking the watches out of the boxes to keep them secure. Complete madness.
    For those of us with large(ish) collections keeping watches in the manufacturers boxes, inside a safe has long been impossible even when the manufacturers boxes were small.

These days the boxes take up loads of space in my loft.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Guess they needed SOMETHING to point at when it came to the umpteenth price raise...
    You do get multiple strap options, a really good quality strap changing tool (much better than my Bergeon) and a pretty decent eye loupe as well. And a big hippocampus paperweight thingy.

I do get that the watch hasn't changed much since it was half the price, but I looked at a lot of Rolex as well, and I honestly think it's still well priced in comparison.

A small box or case is all that is needed really.

The huge box the Speedmaster came in really wound me up - so much so that I sold it on. The madness of all this is that when I subsequently sold the watch the cumulative amount was greater than if I had sold both together.

Space is at a premium in most homes!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    The wallet that Bremont supplies it watches in is fantastic. It’s designed to be used a document wallet and has a pouch sized to fit a UK passport.

Nice little touch.

Having just returned from a trip into Norwich where I spent a couple of minutes perusing the windows of Windsor Bishop, the Rolex, Omega and Tudor AD, the answer seemed pretty obvious! - odd though this may sound, having bought and sold a couple of dozen ‘quality’ Swiss timepieces over the last 20 years, I made a conscious decision to walk away from any watch over about £2k about 5 years ago and as a result have lost interest in that end of the market. I’ve bought new Subs, speedmasters and Panerai for £1500 back then, and kind of lost interest when I realised I didn’t have a ‘grail’ I was genuinely gobsmacked at the prices I saw today - just potty imho, actually makes me consider buying an Apple Watch and sticking 2 fingers up to it all!!
    What do you need to justify the prices? - massive boxes, pictures of David Beckham and all the marketing bluster you can summon! - I mean come on, steel clockwork trinkets for £8k??!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to stick to the likes of CWC, even with their special editions, you still get the little tin and a cardboard sleeve, their nod to the madness is to give you a small leather pouch to keep the watch and spare NATOs in.

That said, I have had some lovely boxes inc the PP box that came with the Aquanaut, but they are not really mine. They just sit in the wardrobe until I sell the watch.

Rolex had the right idea in the 60's with their leaflets, remove the innerds from your watch box and use as a lovely coffee table cigarette box. At least they were practical in those days.

Master
    I honestly think watch boxes are for all intents and purposes fairly pointless and yet take up so much space and headache. I wish watches just came in a very small box that protects the watch and none of this humongous empty space that is watch boxes today. Also having such a luxury box seems pointless when it just goes into some storage....

I’m sure as a single purchase it covers some psychological area of the purchase - for multiple purchases it’s just a hassle of storage as you like to keep the full set.
    It's just a matter of time...

Probably to cover up the exponential inflation beating rise in watch prices. Hides the fact that you are blowing a load of cash on something that doesn’t cost that much to make.