closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrono function - do you ever use it?

Master

Chrono function - do you ever use it?

So 80% of my watches are chronos but I can honestly say I NEVER use this feature. Is this pretty much the same for everyone? I mean how often does anyone use the chrono function?

Apprentice

Nope...

Never ever use the chrono function and something I will look to avoid getting on a watch... just clutters the face of mine.

Use my Speedy to time things every few days - cooking stuff or as a reminder for something else. I'm possibly still in my honeymoon period with it as it was a relatively recent arrival.

I use my Sub's dive bezel with a similar frequency, for the same tasks. That isn't honeymoon as I've had it for almost three years now.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I do when cooking but to be fair, normally wear a watch with a bezel for that instead.

There will be a few in use on Sunday at the MCGTG timing the frequency of Bootneck's visits to the bar.

Master
    For its intended purpose: once may be. To play: many times.

I seem to remember pushing the buttons the day it arrived. Never since though.

Craftsman
    I find timing with the chronograph is easier than setting the bezel. don't remember to use either very much though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    Ditto :-)

In fact I do remember using it once to time something or other but I got so distracted afterwards that I forgot I had pressed start until the next day!

I use the chrono function fairly often when cooking.
    Also useful when I am sat in the car waiting for the wife to exit the house, then I can present the evidence when she is eventually ready.

Grand Master
    Very occasionally, when cooking.

Even with varifiocal glasses my eyesight's not great for close-up, I struggle to read the sub-dials unless I take my specs off and get close up.....and that's becoming harder!

Only time I really pay attention to the sub-dials etc is when testing a chronograph, they're a bit pointless for me but I like the look of certain ones.

Paul

Journeyman
    Quite a bit of late to time some activities at work. Though the last time before that was probably a few year ago.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Recently got my very first chrono and I have used it very often. It’s mostly play: i time the length of meetings and conference calls at work, how long it takes to walk to the station, the time spent on the train, etc.

Might be I’m still in the honeymoon period but I do enjoy it. One thing to note is that the watch, a Breitling M1, has a central chrono minutes hand, which makes reading the elapsed time a doddle, and fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    I'll use it once on a watch - otherwise, it just seems pretentious.

(apart from my Aerospace - as it is digital, where I might use it for any timings at work)
    Last edited by blackal; 21st March 2018 at 17:08.

My first few watches were all chronographs - think I was seduced by extra dials and pushers! Very much more a fan of a simple clear 3 hander these days though.

I did use my SMP Chrono yesterday to time how long my vortex spinning top spun for on a nice concave polished surface I found on my desk (just shy of five minutes as it happens)

No. I currently have two chronos but I'm much more inclined to use the bezel on a diver to time something. Or if cooking I'm likely to just say "ok Google set time for 20 minutes."

Master
    I only use them to check they work.

I used one to time laps at Le Mans, that was fun.

Craftsman

Speedmaster

The iconic Speedmaster chronograph, the legend that went to the moon strapped too the arms of Astronauts, now times my boiled eggs in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by thisisallen View Post
    I find timing with the chronograph is easier than setting the bezel. don't remember to use either very much though.
    I find timing with a bezel is easier than the chronograph, it's certainly easier to see than squinting at the sub-dials.

I also use bezels to count stuff (one click per count, easier with a 60 click bezel) and to mark the time when something started, e.g. when someone phones to say, I'll be home in 30 minutes I set the bezel and when it reaches 29 I know I have to come off the Xbox and look busy.

The 7A28 has the best of both worlds. I rarely use the chrono, but do use the bezel function quite often. It's nice having the choice all on the one watch though :-)

only for Parking and only if I remember I'm actually wearing my speedy!

I make daily use of a chronograph or dive bezel when I wear them - cooking, parking meters, work-outs, walks, time my toddler has been asleep, how long I've been skiving off work in the bogs, journey times, halves of football matches etc.

The list is endless. Maybe I'm odd and just like timing stuff, but I find them to be useful everyday tools.

I've also used the Speedmaster Tachymeter once in anger - to estimate probable download times when transferring music & photo files to a new iPhone.

And that's not forgetting as a makeshift date indicator on (very rare, it has to be said) occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    I find timing with a bezel is easier than the chronograph, it's certainly easier to see than squinting at the sub-dials.

I also use bezels to count stuff (one click per count, easier with a 60 click bezel) and to mark the time when something started, e.g. when someone phones to say, I'll be home in 30 minutes I set the bezel and when it reaches 29 I know I have to come off the adult websites and look busy.
    Fixed that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    ...and to mark the time when something started, e.g. when someone phones to say, I'll be home in 30 minutes I set the bezel and when it reaches 29 I know I have to come off the Xbox and look busy.
    Ha! I'm not alone then.

I use a chronograph function regularly, especially when I know I will have to time something or when timing is important.
    I have to give a lecture tomorrow so will use my Speedmaster to time it to make sure I don't over run, I will also time the flight getting there, so I know roughly how long I have before landing and the the same in the flight back.
    The same with dive bezels I use them to time many of the things noted on the thread already. I guess it come with being intrested in watches and time in general.
    I find a chronograph useful.

Grand Master
    Used one to time how quickly the dog ate his dinner.....1min 56 secs if I remember rightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I use a chronograph function regularly, especially when I know I will have to time something or when timing is important.
    I have to give a lecture tomorrow so will use my Speedmaster to time it to make sure I don't over run, I will also time the flight getting there, so I know roughly how long I have before landing and the the same in the flight back.
    The same with dive bezels I use them to time many of the things noted on the thread already. I guess it come with being intrested in watches and time in general.
    I find a chronograph useful.
    Oh dear.................

Blog Entries
    Not much - as evidenced in this thread: Little details...

z
    Last edited by zelig; 21st March 2018 at 20:00.

Yes every day, it's the most useful complication.

I’ll hazard a guess that more people use the chrono function than use their divers for anything as extreme as diving.
    I’ve got into motor sport over the last year or so and find that I regularly time laps using the chronograph, and the collection has really changed to reflect this. Meanwhile, none of my divers have experienced more than a shallow swim.

Used my speedy to time my wife's contractions last Friday. Worked very well.

Master
    All the time, if I'm wearing a chronograph that is.

Use the bezel a lot to time parking, cooking, general stuff when I need to know how long I have left, when something started etc.

Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson View Post
    Used my speedy to time my wife's contractions last Friday. Worked very well.
    TMI haha

I find a countdown feature much more useful than a chrono. But I do like the fiddle factor of a chrono.

Pretty much every day to time runs, and for at-a-glance time without clutter it's the EZM1 every day -

Almost daily.

I am a barrister and time phonecalls etc. with it.

At home I use is while cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Almost daily.

I'm guessing you never allow your watches to run slow?

Craftsman
    No never.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Almost daily.

I am sad I use my phone whilst cooking.

Master
    I've got loads of Chronos, never use the function. Like the look of it.

Never bar when the kids want to see it reset.

I have always used a chrono to track timed components of cognitive assessments of patients. Do less of those these days though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I only wear my chronograph when I think I will need to time something.

If I need to time something accurately, I’ll use a digital watch. It will also be quicker to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I'm guessing you never allow your watches to run slow?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by el marinero View Post
    I use the chrono function fairly often when cooking.
    Also useful when I am sat in the car waiting for the wife to exit the house, then I can present the evidence when she is eventually ready.
    haha

I always wear my DC 56 when out with a camera. It's very useful for timing long exposures with the shutter open on B, usually when using a Neutral Density filter.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    I use it for short timing elements in training sessions I give. I would use my phone but that’s being used for something else at those times. As my attention is largely focussed on the passing of time, I enjoy watching the chrono. Everything else needing timing usually either involves a bezel (most often) or a phone...

Rarely
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

No.

Simon

Craftsman
    I’ve just bought my first Chrono and I am in the honeymoon period of timing things with it which is enjoyable. I’m going to time my journey from Coventry to Ashford this afternoon