closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tudor are the new Omega?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post

For me it’s GS that could take sales from Omega, I’m looking forward to seeing what they come up with today.
    The numbers are far too low to be anything worth bothering with.
    Even if Omega dropped production to say 600K units, that’s still well above 30 times more than Seiko puts out across the whole gamut of GS, Credor, Galante, and the Prospex assembled at the Shizukuishi facility.
    A few hundred sales that may’ve gone on Omegas, is statistically insignificant.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wharry View Post
    I'm clearly in a minority, but I love the grey dial model (not a fan of the rubber strap on it though) as well as the bi-colour.
    Tri-colour actually – they’ve used Tantalum on the bezel base.
    Not sure why though, as it has a more blue than grey hue.

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    The new SMP looks like something out of the Chris Ward school of design - that isn't a compliment. They seem to have totally lost direction in the last decade or so.
    It was a big mistake to drop the waves from the dial. They already had a flat dial on the Planet Ocean, then they decided to drop one of the unique features of the SM300, allowing Chris Ward to use it. Omega are now taking ownership of that wave dial again, perhaps the execution could be better but at least it's back.

I'm still unsure if there's room for both an expensive larger Master Chrono Co-ax SM300 and the Palanet Ocean range, time will tell.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at some of these meetings to hear their logic on so many similar type models.

It looks as if Tudor could go fully customisable in the next couple of years with the Black Bay, range, allowing customers to build their own watch with choice of movement, functions, dial, bezel and bracelet/strap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    It was a big mistake to drop the waves from the dial. They already had a flat dial on the Planet Ocean, then they decided to drop one of the unique features of the SM300, allowing Chris Ward to use it. Omega are now taking ownership of that wave dial again, perhaps the execution could be better but at least it's back.

I'm still unsure if there's room for both an expensive larger Master Chrono Co-ax SM300 and the Palanet Ocean range, time will tell.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at some of these meetings to hear their logic on so many similar type models.

It looks as if Tudor could go fully customisable in the next couple of years with the Black Bay, range, allowing customers to build their own watch with choice of movement, functions, dial, bezel and bracelet/strap.
    To be fair, there was serious demand for ceramic watches, and probably no technology that could create the waves back around 2011/12, so something had to give.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    To be fair, there was serious demand for ceramic watches, and probably no technology that could create the waves back around 2011/12, so something had to give.
    I don't think anyone was banging their fist demanding a ceramic dial.

Grand Master
    Just read the blurb on the Omega website. The new SMP will be interesting, I think it will look very cold and sterile with the extensive use of ceramics on the dial and plots. Whether that’s appealing or not remains to be seen. One thing’s for sure, it’ll wear bigger and chunkier, which is a complete no-no for me.

Omega prices continue to climb, the watches get bigger and chunkier.........can’t help thinking they’re backing themselves into a corner. If sales volumes fall in line with the price increases perhaps Swatch think they’ll pick up sales with their lesser brands?........who knows how these marketing bread-heads think.

The limited edition Seamasters based on the originals are going to be 38mm too........why can’t they stay closer to the original concept and size them around 35-36mm?

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 22nd March 2018 at 14:40.

I wish Omega had left the SMP alone after the Bond version first went on sale. Everything they've done to it since has made it worse.

As for Tudor, I want to like them, but that grizzled over-tattooed oaf Beckham sends me packing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Jwhy can’t they stay closer to the original concept and size them around 35-36mm?

Paul
    35mm is a nonstarter for most people. I think 38mm is a "very small" watch by 2018 standards, which is unfortunate for people like me who prefer smaller watches. The real issue is the thickness. 38mm and fat is not a nice dress watch design, regardless of how large you like your watches.

Master
    [QUOTE=OldHooky;4710101]Waves? Looks more like drunken furrows in a ploughed field.

Ha, was thinking more a wall waiting to be tiled.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Not so sure about the lack of technology, Rado have been doing interesting stuff in ceramics for 30 years and Rolex managed to get numerals carved out of a ceramic GMTII bezel back in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    Here you go Paul.
    I saw some of these in the flesh at Goldsmiths the other day...underwhelming or what!

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=Davidd;4710197]
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Waves? Looks more like drunken furrows in a ploughed field.

Ha, was thinking more a wall waiting to be tiled.
    Both of those are so funny.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

I'm in total agreement with lots on this thread... but Tudor are not perfect across the board.

In every picture of this watch it brings one word to mind. Hideous! Its the worst colour dial – terrible legibility.

OMG. What is the hand lume all about?!

https://oceanictime.blogspot.co.uk/2...ack-bay-s.html

Last edited by OliverCD; 22nd March 2018 at 16:49.

I'm in total agreement with lots on this thread... but Tudor are not perfect across the board.

In every picture of this watch it brings one word to mind. Hideous! Its the worst colour dial – terrible legibility.

OMG. What is the hand lume all about?!

https://oceanictime.blogspot.co.uk/2...ack-bay-s.html

A dictator somewhere in the world is rubbing his hand in anticipation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    Will this replace the last model or will they run concurrently ?
    replace it most likely and will be priced at £3,800-4000 based on the pricing of their other watches

Let's not forget gents that yes, Omega have had a slow Basel this year but last year with the release of the Trilogy they arguably stole the show. For what it's worth I like the Seamaster grey dial a lot, the other releases not so much but one weak Basel doesn't mean they've been usurped by Tudor overall.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Regretting missing the last Omega SMP on SC now. The glossy dial and ceramic bezel makes it fantastic - the new one just looks a mess to me.

New smaller Tudor is lovely and the GMT I'll try on to see if it doesn;t overwhelm my wrist.

With the replacement of the SMP there's nothing in the Omega range I'd buy apart from maybe the 39mm PO and the moonwatch (if I didn't have one already).

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Let's not forget gents that yes, Omega have had a slow Basel this year but last year with the release of the Trilogy they arguably stole the show. For what it's worth I like the Seamaster grey dial a lot, the other releases not so much but one weak Basel doesn't mean they've been usurped by Tudor overall.
    The trilogy were laser scanned models from the originals... so there was no way you could get them wrong! It was revealing a 1:1 classic.
    I really liked the look of the Railmaster, but seeing it in the metal it was not as breath taking as I hoped and I didn't think it matched the high price. Left me a bit cold. The other two seemed more on the mark. On the Railmaster note, the grey one is OK-ish but the silver is a shocker. I really like Omega and if I had to sell everything I'd keep my vintage Pie Pan and early 2000's Railmaster as my watches, but I think the design are really heading off course and that mixed with the increasing prices is not a great combination.

I think the ST was a great design - but that was a collaboration.

Master
    To be fair to Omega some of their recent work is pretty classy, for instance the Olympic gold collection and the new Seasmaster 1948 sub second, which is also sensibly sized. The standard Olympic range wasn't bad either as sports influenced watches go. The Omega AT makeover was a bit take it or leave it, but making them thinner was a crucial improvement. Perhaps they don't need to mess with the core collection constantly, just incrementally improving now as Rolex do, but hopefully the thinner sizing will spread where it's needed. Given the new Tudor Black Bay (and also Seiko Presage), this tinkering with sizes and proportions is actually an excellent trend - not as dramatic as launching new styles, but just as important (come on GS!).

Agreed- that is nasty.

Ditto this IMHO

https://www.tudorwatch.com/watches/f.../m42000cr-0002

but this looks really nice

https://www.tudorwatch.com/watches/n.../m79830rb-0001
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    The stitching on the black shield strap appears to have been done by a ten year old child...

...the two-tone gold-dialled object is, to my eyes, a tribute to poor taste...

But Tudor, as a brand are on the up l feel. I'm going to have to eat my own hat on this one. That GMT is a nice piece at the price - pound for pound the better of its more expensive half brother at Basel...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    The stitching on the black shield strap appears to have been done by a ten year old child...
    It probably was. That's globalism.