closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tudor are the new Omega?

Master

Tudor are the new Omega?

It pains me to say it, as I'm a massive fan of Omega, but Tudor are the brand that's gone in the right direction IMO this year. Their GMT is innovative, and their 58 Black Bay is smaller and thinner; giving the people what they want.

Omega however have really disappointed this year. Not only have they made the Seamaster larger, they've also upped the price quite considerable by the looks of things, taking the price point above that of the Pelagos; it's main rival. The (older) seamaster has been a fantastically versatile watch for several years, with its glossy dial making it both a dive/casual watch, but not allowing it to be out of place in the boardroom or a dressier occasion. I instantly see the previous model as a classic, and never wanted them to "upgrade" this model with the newer movements, as I knew it would end up being larger and costlier.

So now, for me, at the lower priced end of the market, Tudor have marched forward.

Rolex have brought to market the models we pretty much expected, and Patek have gone stratospheric.

Master
    No. Tudor is the OLD Omega (back when they were good). Rolex/Tudor absolutely killed Basel this year. I want almost every new watch.

I have to agree. To me the new Seamaster 300m looks old for some reason (perhaps because it looks the same as the old wave dial model).

I don't know whats going on at Omega at the moment, but it all seems a total mess. A mess at an ever increasing price point...

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post4708968

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    I don't know whats going on at Omega at the moment
    Death spiral.

Craftsman

Omega misses

Would have to agree with the sentiment here in regards to Omega and what appears to be a poor Basel showing. A rehash of the Seamaster, another Dark side of the moon reference and the tiresome limited edition releases.

With their price points ever increasing, Omega are on track to head the same way as Breitling and Iwc becoming irrelevant overpriced manufacturers dredging out continuous lack lustre products.

Grand Master
    Hadn't seen the Seamaster pics! At a glance it looks very like the original 50s versions but I assume it'll be a lot bigger. I`m wearing an original 50s model at the moment,.....personally I wouldn`t swap!

I wish they would stop putting the words 'co-axial' on the watches, just keep it simple.

Haven`t seen the SMP yet, sounds like they've spoiled it if they've made it bigger.

Paul

Have to agree with you all. A 39mm Black Bay is on my Christmas list. Nothing from Omega has gotten me excited in the slightest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Hadn't seen the Seamaster pics! At a glance it looks very like the original 50s versions but I assume it'll be a lot bigger.
    Paul
    It's a really attractive watch. However, the side profile is all wrong. It's a porker like every other Omega. I'm sure it's expensive, and I'd lose a ton on a flip - it's hard to like modern Omega.

Haven`t seen the SMP yet, sounds like they've spoiled it if they've made it bigger.

Paul
    Here you go Paul.

Omega's ability to make grey dials totally unalluring is weirdly impressive

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    It pains me to say it, as I'm a massive fan of Omega, but Tudor are the brand that's gone in the right direction IMO this year. Their GMT is innovative, and their 58 Black Bay is smaller and thinner; giving the people what they want.

Omega however have really disappointed this year. Not only have they made the Seamaster larger, they've also upped the price quite considerable by the looks of things, taking the price point above that of the Pelagos; it's main rival. The (older) seamaster has been a fantastically versatile watch for several years, with its glossy dial making it both a dive/casual watch, but not allowing it to be out of place in the boardroom or a dressier occasion. I instantly see the previous model as a classic, and never wanted them to "upgrade" this model with the newer movements, as I knew it would end up being larger and costlier.

So now, for me, at the lower priced end of the market, Tudor have marched forward.

Rolex have brought to market the models we pretty much expected, and Patek have gone stratospheric.

I do wonder what the price will be on that new Seamaster ? 3.5-4k ?

The current one is one of the best selling Omegas - I think they have screwed it up a bit.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    I do wonder what the price will be on that new Seamaster ? 3.5-4k ?

The current one is one of the best selling Omegas - I think they have screwed it up a bit.

Will this replace the last model or will they run concurrently ?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    Here you go Paul.
    Oh dear.......I was always a fan of the wavy dial, but bringing it back in this form isn`t a step forward in my opinion. Looking at the pics the only positive is the return of a bimetal version featuring yellow gold, this was something they did very nicely in the past. Also good to see the Bond-style bracelet retained.

The real downside for me will be the price and the size.....both will have moved in the wrong direction. The current SMPc is the best watch in the Omega line-up IMO besides the Moonwatch in terms of size and value for money, but it looks like that's set to change.

My wrists are around 6.75" and I'm really not happy with anything bigger than 40/41mm for a diver, and 38mm for anything else, and I can`t wear thick watches. The old (pre co-axial) SMP was as big as I`d, and not too thick. I'm not alone, there are plenty out there with slim wrists who look a bit silly wearing a big watch, it amazes me how manufacturers aim to make their watches bigger and bigger thus losing a proportion of the market. A smaller watch on a big wrist can work OK, 20+ years ago very few watches exceeded 40mm, but a big watch on a smaller wrist looks silly.

I think we're entering a period where the watch manufacturers will need all the sales they can get, and losing customers because you don`t make a watch that fits them is a unwise in the extreme.

Thank god I like vintage watches, if I was trying to buy something new in the size I want I'd have a very limited choice.

Paul

Master

My wrists are around 6.75" and I'm really not happy with anything bigger than 40/41mm for a diver, and 38mm for anything else, and I can`t wear thick watches. The old (pre co-axial) SMP was as big as I`d, and not too thick. I'm not alone, there are plenty out there with slim wrists who look a bit silly wearing a big watch, it amazes me how manufacturers aim to make their watches bigger and bigger thus losing a proportion of the market. A smaller watch on a big wrist can work OK, 20+ years ago very few watches exceeded 40mm, but a big watch on a smaller wrist looks silly.

I think we're entering a period where the watch manufacturers will need all the sales they can get, and losing customers because you don`t make a watch that fits them is a unwise in the extreme.

Thank god I like vintage watches, if I was trying to buy something new in the size I want I'd have a very limited choice.

Paul
    The most annoying things are that a) the bezel looks a tad thicker; b) the date is still not at the edge and c) the movement size, whilst bigger than the 2500D, could likely go into a smaller case than this.

I see no reason for going to 42mm whatsoever, which is a shame because the grey dial on the blue rubber is otherwise quite attractive.

Those new Seamasters are terrible.

Master
    Was in two minds over what i’d likely treat myself to for a significant b’day at the start of next year. Was going to be one of either SMP, or a Tudor and these latest reveals have made it such an easy choice. The Tudor GMT at a significantly lower price makes it a no-brainer.

I'm going to against the grain and say i *really* like the grey dialled one on the rubber strap. in my very humble opinion, it beats anything Tudor does for looks, and also use of exotic materials. I'm sure it will be pricey and best bought slightly used, but to me it looks so class.

Craftsman
    Rolex/Tudor for world domination?
    Omega:too big for my wrist and not really liking their looks now.
    Time for a limited edition of mindboggling extent

Quite agree, the very long wave-length really spoils the dial and I dislike the sloping helium release valve (it is however now water-proof even when open - and has a red ring visible if accidentally left open). I also dislike the new bracelet - with the exception that it now has micro-adjust. What a shame: I'm feeling in need of a new watch and was hoping for something from Omega to get the juices flowing!

Apprentice
    Omega was my first love, but I am starting to get over it. The helium valve on the Seamaster is too big. The movement on the subseconds 1948 should be manual. I understand that their co-axials might be pricier than their traditional ETA movements, but their used market prices show that they are well over priced to start with. This rant is just based on today’s offerings. I might just go apoplectic if I think about last year’s “commander” monstruosity. Please, Omega, just stop! It is too painful to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elmiperru View Post
    The helium valve on the Seamaster is too big.
    Perfect size if you are using it.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Perfect size if you are using it.
    Surely an automatic one, completely flush to the case, would be the perfect size...?

Blog Entries
    42mm seams about the right size for a dive watch - I wonder if the lug to lug distance has changed? Also the case depth dimensions - I remember the scalloped case backed version of the PO makes for an easier fit compared to the earlier version. I imagine the new movement will be a +£1K on the price though

Journeyman
    Agree that Tudor are the old Omega whereby if you wanted a quality watch but didn't care for a Rolex, or it's prices, it was the best choice. I would argue though that Tudor are the old Rolex. No denying Omega and Rolex offer 'better' products in construction, materials, etc. But if you want a well-made all-rounder that is premium but still affordable, like Rolex in it's true heyday, Tudor are the brand.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallang View Post
    Agree that Tudor are the old Omega whereby if you wanted a quality watch but didn't care for a Rolex, or it's prices, it was the best choice. I would argue though that Tudor are the old Rolex. No denying Omega and Rolex offer 'better' products in construction, materials, etc. But if you want a well-made all-rounder that is premium but still affordable, like Rolex in it's true heyday, Tudor are the brand.
    Better construction? In what way? I have a Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra and a Tudor Pelagos and they are both superb. Also tried on a few Rolex watches. If you can differentiate quality between them you are a smarter person than me. Manufacturing of the cases and bracelets is brilliant across all 3.

Craftsman
    Oh dear.......I was always a fan of the wavy dial, but bringing it back in this form isn`t a step forward in my opinion. Looking at the pics the only positive is the return of a bimetal version featuring yellow gold, this was something they did very nicely in the past. Also good to see the Bond-style bracelet retained.

The real downside for me will be the price and the size.....both will have moved in the wrong direction. The current SMPc is the best watch in the Omega line-up IMO besides the Moonwatch in terms of size and value for money, but it looks like that's set to change.

Paul
    I'm with you all the way on this Paul. As others have noted, it seems to me as if the tide is slowly turning against larger and larger watches so I'm quite surprised that Omega seem to have missed this "hint" from the market as a whole, especially with a mainstay in their range such as the SM. Any price increase really isn't going to help matters.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Surely an automatic one, completely flush to the case, would be the perfect size...?
    Well, yes I find the Rolex one easier, but the SMP one IS automatic once the crown is unscrewed as it only "burps" when it needs too.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Better construction? In what way? I have a Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra and a Tudor Pelagos and they are both superb. Also tried on a few Rolex watches. If you can differentiate quality between them you are a smarter person than me. Manufacturing of the cases and bracelets is brilliant across all 3.
    I also thought that there was no difference although this Watchfinder video highlighted some to me when looking very closely. The finishing of the bezel edges, the crown, the movement and the hands seem better to me. These are judgements involving a large degree of subjectivity though, so I would have no problems if somebody thought differently to me especially given I have no real acquaintance with the actual manufacturing skills required.

HTML Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMPGFWtmTeM&t=

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Omega's ability to make grey dials totally unalluring is weirdly impressive

Also the only non-date version shown
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I also thought that there was no difference although this Watchfinder video highlighted some to me when looking very closely. The finishing of the bezel edges, the crown, the movement and the hands seem better to me. These are judgements involving a large degree of subjectivity though, so I would have no problems if somebody thought differently to me especially given I have no real acquaintance with the actual manufacturing skills required.

HTML Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMPGFWtmTeM&t=
    The link doesn’t seem to work and I am interested to watch this. Any chance of a re-paste?

Craftsman
    Very interesting the current shifting of the sands between brands and perceived popularity. Such a fine line to tread and one year you are the darling, the next the ugly sister.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Danpd View Post
    Very interesting the current shifting of the sands between brands and perceived popularity. Such a fine line to tread and one year you are the darling, the next the ugly sister.
    I still love Omega, don’t get me wrong. I just think it’s a fast moving industry and there’s no doubting, omega has been overshadowed by Tudor this year.

No denying? I presume you own or have owned several current models of both Omega and Tudor to have this view? IMO the finishing on the Black Bays is superb and I see no difference when I handle mine in comparison to my Omegas.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    It does seem that Omega are struggling to excite at the moment after moving forward quickly a few years back. I don’t like these new oversized wave dials at all, they look really clumsy to me. They are starting to make some slightly thinner watches though which is an important step forward.

I’ve never thought of Tudor as a direct competitor, the style just seems too different - I can’t imagine choosing between Omega’s Aqua Terra and from Tudor... what? Certainly not the wrongly sized BB36 / 41. The alternative would more likely be the Rolex oyster perpetual 39, now in black.

For me it’s GS that could take sales from Omega, I’m looking forward to seeing what they come up with today.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    The link doesn’t seem to work and I am interested to watch this. Any chance of a re-paste?
    Apologies.
    https://youtu.be/VMPGFWtmTeM

Craftsman

Omega

I just came across the new Basel release of another CK2998 from Omega, red script and minute hand with the Pulsations bezel but really, how many variations of the CK2998 does the market need and that i feel is one of Omega biggest faults currently throughout its line up, just too many variations year after year.

Rather than exciting the watch buyers i think the constant new variant releases are having the opposite effect for Omega.

Craftsman
    I'm clearly in a minority, but I love the grey dial model (not a fan of the rubber strap on it though) as well as the bi-colour.

I think Tudor could be the new Omega in the Dive watch sector, but Omega are much more than Seamster range - albeit that's what most popular here. I don't think Tudor have a better alternatives for the Speedster, De Ville, Constellation ranges.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by boywithabubblegun View Post
    I'm with you all the way on this Paul. As others have noted, it seems to me as if the tide is slowly turning against larger and larger watches so I'm quite surprised that Omega seem to have missed this "hint" from the market as a whole, especially with a mainstay in their range such as the SM. Any price increase really isn't going to help matters.
    +1 from me. I was pleasantly surprised when Tudor announced the 36mm Heritage model a couple of years ago and have been waiting for other manufacturers to follow suit. Other than Nomos, Stowa and IWC the choice of quality watches with smaller cases has been very limited for too long. As a long time Oris fan, I'm really pleased to see they are releasing 36mm versions of the Big Crown. As for Omega, I'm disappointed they seem to have got it wrong. I love the SMP but found the 36mm too small and the 41mm too big. I would be the first in the que if the new model had been 38 or 39mm.

Master
    I enjoy their videos. In conclusion though the Rolex has precious metals where tudor does not, decorated movement where Tudor does not and the crown is more complex to make. All fair comments but blimey you would have to look hard to find and appreciate these differences.

Tudor are the new Omega?

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    I just came across the new Basel release of another CK2998 from Omega, red script and minute hand with the Pulsations bezel
    Where did you see this? Wasn’t announced yesterday with their other stuff...

EDIT:

Image1521713602.619475.jpg

^ found the above on WatchUSeek

Why is it that so many companies haven’t got their websites etc in order? Why in earth should it be a challenge to ascertain what companies have launched at Basel?
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 22nd March 2018 at 11:11.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I think Tudor could be the new Omega in the Dive watch sector, but Omega are much more than Seamster range - albeit that's what most popular here. I don't think Tudor have a better alternatives for the Speedster, De Ville, Constellation ranges.
    Agreed. Although I have a few Tudor watches, they have absolutely nothing that competes that well imo outside the Black Bay and Pelagos models.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I've wanted a non-date of this model for years... and then this thing turns up... yuck.

I don't think Omega's main problem of late is their designs, it's the pricing.

Even as short as 10-12 years ago, they were at an aspirational level that the working middle class could consider if they got a nice bonus that year, or a small inheritance or whatever. A Seamaster for £1200, a Speedy for £1500ish - expensive, but affordable.

These days, those sorts of people (ie, me and most of my friends) would only be able to afford something like that on finance, or if you're really serious about saving up for it. To a casual (non watch-enthusiast) person, that's just too much hassle. They'll buy a Seiko for £1-200 and be happy with it for five years, then buy something else.

They're really cutting out a lot of their market with their current pricing. The number of people 40+ at work who have a SMP Pro Bond, or the little ladies' white dial one from 15 years ago is staggering. Anyone under 30 has either a cheap fashion watch, a smartwatch, or Seiko/Citizen/Bulova etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    I don't think Omega's main problem of late is their designs, it's the pricing.

Even as short as 10-12 years ago, they were at an aspirational level that the working middle class could consider if they got a nice bonus that year, or a small inheritance or whatever. A Seamaster for £1200, a Speedy for £1500ish - expensive, but affordable.

These days, those sorts of people (ie, me and most of my friends) would only be able to afford something like that on finance, or if you're really serious about saving up for it. To a casual (non watch-enthusiast) person, that's just too much hassle. They'll buy a Seiko for £1-200 and be happy with it for five years, then buy something else.

They're really cutting out a lot of their market with their current pricing. The number of people 40+ at work who have a SMP Pro Bond, or the little ladies' white dial one from 15 years ago is staggering. Anyone under 30 has either a cheap fashion watch, a smartwatch, or Seiko/Citizen/Bulova etc.
    I think you have to look at this from a historical perspective. They used to be on a par with Rolex in the 60s, then they tried competing on price instead of quality in the 70s and it damaged the brand. For the next 40 years everyone assumed that the more expensive of the two was obviously the best. That's how the luxury market goes unfortunately. They would like to get back up to that level, and that meant less ETA and more Omega movements, and ton of marketing and boutiques. There are other brands that can target that £1500 bracket within Swatch group, but they would like Omega to be their answer to Rolex.

The new SMP looks like something out of the Chris Ward school of design - that isn't a compliment. They seem to have totally lost direction in the last decade or so.

I completely agree Tudor have shot up in brand rankings. The first watch I bought from an AD was an ETA Pelagos, and now I'm on the list for the Black Bay GMT. Really fantastic execution. I mean, just look at it!

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I think you have to look at this from a historical perspective. They used to be on a par with Rolex in the 60s, then they tried competing on price instead of quality in the 70s and it damaged the brand. For the next 40 years everyone assumed that the more expensive of the two was obviously the best. That's how the luxury market goes unfortunately. They would like to get back up to that level, and that meant less ETA and more Omega movements, and ton of marketing and boutiques. There are other brands that can target that £1500 bracket within Swatch group, but they would like Omega to be their answer to Rolex.
    Exactly, they have Tissot and Longines in those cheaper brackets, amongst a free others in the stable.

But... in my experience Omega QC is not at the same level as Rolex, and they have traditionally used cheaper materials out techniques. Until recently, Omega used steel hour marker surrounds to Rolex white gold; and Omega used rolled/capped gold on their bi-metal watches and charged almost the same as a bi-metal Rolex for the privilege. I'm sure there are many other differences, which I'm fine with when comparing a £2920 Seamaster SMP with a £6000 Submariner, but less so when comparing some of the newer models at the same or more expensive prices than other possibly more prestige (and better) brands.

Waves? Looks more like drunken furrows in a ploughed field.

Endless "Limited Editions" - pah - and rehashes of an old, IMHO out-of-date style are underserved of an old and respected house.

If Omega aren't careful they'll become an over-priced and slightly naff high street brand, much the same as Tag.