closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Tudor GMT

Quote Originally Posted by axb601 View Post
    Agreed. I’m not a fan of the snowflake hands and circular lume pots anyway. But the clunky square GMT thing looks awful.

The fact of a Tudor GMT is creating a fever because people have been dreaming of one for so long! I think people are overlooking some of this models flaws.
    I disagree.
    To me the choices they made are good

Keep the existing 41mm case
    Keep the 200m WR
    Drop in a 70 hr power reserve COSC movement with silicon hairsping for anti-magnetism, with.....
    Proper GMT functionality, with independent hour hand.
    Date with no cyclops
    Nice subdued blue and red, not uber bright.
    Distinctive Tudor hands. I like the miniature snowflake GMT hand, with a small lume extension on the end. That works for me.

I think it is all good. No, for me it is better than that, it is waaaay beyond my expectations.
    I do agree that square plots are more in keeping with a snowflake-derived design, but then again, I have a real one of those and a Pelagos, so I have enough square indices.
    By now the BB design language of using the round indices has become the norm, so I am not fussed.

I should be able to sell my Exp II, buy the Tudor brand new and keep a grand.

What's not to like?

Dave

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    You must be close to me then! Or it’s meet the AD day on Friday at BW

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yep, it will be the same one

Wow that's lovely. I'm amazed Rolex gave the go ahead to put a Pepsi bezel on a Tudor but I'm very pleased they did.

Very nice!

I think the new Rolex GMT is the more complete watch for me, as there are a few things about the Tudor of change - length of GMT hand, and the bracelet for example.
    It's just a matter of time...

It looks a bit weak to me and I have no idea why. I think I need to try it on. Possibly dial width/case size/bezel size proportions with hands looking a bit lost. I don't know.

I love the look of the precious metal GMT 2C with the blue dial though!
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I disagree.
    To me the choices they made are good

Keep the existing 41mm case
    Keep the 200m WR
    Drop in a 70 hr power reserve COSC movement with silicon hairsping for anti-magnetism, with.....
    Proper GMT functionality, with independent hour hand.
    Date with no cyclops
    Nice subdued blue and red, not uber bright.
    Distinctive Tudor hands. I like the miniature snowflake GMT hand, with a small lume extension on the end. That works for me.

I think it is all good. No, for me it is better than that, it is waaaay beyond my expectations.
    I do agree that square plots are more in keeping with a snowflake-derived design, but then again, I have a real one of those and a Pelagos, so I have enough square indices.
    By now the BB design language of using the round indices has become the norm, so I am not fussed.

I should be able to sell my Exp II, buy the Tudor brand new and keep a grand.

What's not to like?

Dave
    AND it's cheap - $3900 in the USA. We're talking about an approximately $3000 watch if you're willing to buy used or bargain hard with a desperate AD. This thing is a deal, even if I still don't like the fake rivet bracelet.

Not bad at all - 70 hour power reserve and in-house movement, nice to see a GMT watch that isn’t using the usual ETA 2893
    Steve

I wonder if they have managed to made it any slimmer than the slabbier black bay, with the addition of a date and gmt function though

Thanks for giving me another one to put on the list... i think.... dammit....

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Under three grand it's very tempting indeed! Would be my third Tudor!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Hoping that perhaps 2 years down the road there will be a Black Bay 58 GMT BLRO..

I just watched the Hodinkee video and going to revise my opinion....I like it! Next to the Rolex much less blingy, which looks super blingy and my issues with the hands and bezel are not so bad in the video. Also you'll actually be able to purchase this as opposed to the Rolex, and around half the price. Definitely will be checking this out in the flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by minkle View Post
    It is thinner, i read 12mm earlier.
    Does 12mm relate to the BB58 or the GMT? I've been trying to find out how thick the GMT is, but haven't seen any reference

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt.D View Post
    Does 12mm relate to the BB58 or the GMT? I've been trying to find out how thick the GMT is, but haven't seen any reference
    In this Hodinkee video, Tudor GMT, "almost exact dimensions as previous black bay models", so it is most likely 14.6/7mm (the movement is also 0.5mm thicker)
    https://youtu.be/xz0w-IJckKQ

Master
    You’d think Rolex would have found a Watch with a bezel that lined up for the press pictures.

I really want one of these BBGMT’s I get he feeling this might be a waiting list Tudor, hopefully it’s not the start of something for Tudor.

[QUOTE=caye031;4709803]In this Hodinkee video, Tudor GMT, "almost exact dimensions as previous black bay models", so it is most likely 14.6/7mm (the movement is also 0.5mm thicker)
    [QUOTE]

I have read 14.6mm, which is actually .2mm (for what that’s worth) thinner than the regular, in-house Black Bay.

I’m very happy about this as I was worried it could be >15mm, which would just be getting a bit silly. Hopefully there won’t be a problem with shirt-sleeves.

New Tudor GMT

Quote Originally Posted by caye031 View Post
    In this Hodinkee video, Tudor GMT, "almost exact dimensions as previous black bay models", so it is most likely 14.6/7mm (the movement is also 0.5mm thicker)

I have read 14.6mm, which is actually .2mm (for what that’s worth) thinner than the regular in-house Black Bay.

I’m very happy about this as I was worried it could be >15mm, which would just be getting a bit silly. Hopefully there won’t be a problem with shirt-sleeves.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt.D View Post
    The 58, around 13mm

The 58 has a new, presumably thinner calibre, I read. Will try to find more info.

How enlightening. The Pepsi colours are not taken from the Rolex Pepsi but inspired by the blue and burgundy black bays.....

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not normally my thing GMT type watches but that Tudor is just lovely far,far nicer than the Rolex.

The other plus is it won’t lead to 10 hand wringing threads a day about getting on a list or spotting them in shop windows from Widnes to Wigan.

I am very tempted, the price seems very low to me.

In the real life photos appearing on Instagram the blue is often looking almost black.

There again, the lighting in the Basel halls is a long way from real life....
    Last edited by Der Amf; 22nd March 2018 at 11:43.

Master
    Square plots would have been an interesting additional differentiator, maybe a step too far in their eyes if they are targeting the 'affordable' Rolex market. The extra size and that crown are probably the main draw backs to my eyes but probably not to anyone disinterested in their vintage models.
    All in all it's great to see Tudor building into a great package again.

Craftsman
    like that a lot , nice effort

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    The 58 has a new, presumably thinner calibre, I read. Will try to find more info.
    Started a new thread: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?t=422047

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Square plots would have been an interesting additional differentiator, maybe a step too far in their eyes if they are targeting the 'affordable' Rolex market. The extra size and that crown are probably the main draw backs to my eyes but probably not to anyone disinterested in their vintage models.
    All in all it's great to see Tudor building into a great package again.
    Good point about the square plots, like the original Snowflake.

I've been looking at this again and what I don't like are the plots not being quite big enough and the font on the bezel. Sure, it doesn't want to be too close to a Rolex GMT but then a) as far as I can think Tudor haven't made a GMT before, b) Tudors used to look like Rolexes anyway and c) it feels to me that they've made a really nice watch then panicked and introduced some not-quite-rightness to the whole thing.

Master
    Very nice indeedy

Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    Very nice indeedy

Actually, I wonder if I was just hoping for a Pelagos GMT in that lovely titanium case with the blue dial? I shouldn't really object to it being a Black Bay just because I don't much like the Black Bay.

I won’t ever afford the Rolex but think this would fit nicely in the collection. Now how do I tell m wife?

Really like the look of that.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pjtj View Post
    I won’t ever afford the Rolex but think this would fit nicely in the collection. Now how do I tell m wife?
    you dont if you are a brave man

Master
    Blog Entries
    On the other thread they said the functionality works the same way as the Rolex GMT II, if that answers your question....?
    It does, yes, thank you. Rolex and Omega use this more uncommon method (and to me, vastly more useful) than the 24hr hand being quickset. It's very good that Tudor are also doing this.

Craftsman
    I love the look of this, been thinking of adding a GMT for a while and this fits the bill.
    I love the Pelagos blue I got recently and think the build of Tudor form the money is unbeatable.
    Just rang AD where I got the Pelagos from about the GMT and they recon it will be June when they have them in, they have my no

In the real life photos appearing on Instagram the blue is often looking almost black.

There again, the lighting in the Basel halls is a long way from real life....
    The raised sapphire looks superb.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Good point about the square plots, like the original Snowflake.

I've been looking at this again and what I don't like are the plots not being quite big enough and the font on the bezel. Sure, it doesn't want to be too close to a Rolex GMT but then a) as far as I can think Tudor haven't made a GMT before, b) Tudors used to look like Rolexes anyway and c) it feels to me that they've made a really nice watch then panicked and introduced some not-quite-rightness to the whole thing.
    Oh but they have...
    Awful looking things but they have...

IMG_2601.JPG

Master
    Blog Entries

I really like the GMT hand on this too. Distinctive.

THe only thing that I have reservations about is the crown, never seemed quite right. Looking forward to handling one in a shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter franks View Post
    I also really like this watch... I've been hoping Tudor do a gmt for a while!!! Quick question would the bracelet from the gmt also fit my ETA BB RED?
    As I only have the leather strap version and it would save me money by being interchangeable!! If by saving money I mean spending another 2750 on a watch

I imagine someone's already replied, but it's unlikely. From memory the rivet bracelet from the in-house BB doesn't fit the eta version, because of the thicker case with the in-house.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pjtj View Post

It’s nothing to do with price,personally I just prefer the tudors.

If I wanted a Rolex I would have bought one years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    Oh but they have...
    Awful looking things but they have...

IMG_2601.JPG

I meant an old one in the same way they used to make Subs that looked like Rolexes. But yes, that is awful, with an Explorer 2 bezel. Ouch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Actually, I wonder if I was just hoping for a Pelagos GMT in that lovely titanium case with the blue dial? I shouldn't really object to it being a Black Bay just because I don't much like the Black Bay.
    I think a Pelagos GMT would have looked nice, but I suppose they only had room for one GMT model?

But all the black bay models are pretty much unlike one or another anyway, I mean the Chrono looks a complete different Watch

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    I imagine someone's already replied, but it's unlikely. From memory the rivet bracelet from the in-house BB doesn't fit the eta version, because of the thicker case with the in-house.

The rivet and original bracelet fit either ETA or in-house model, it’s only the case backs that differ in thickness, the cases on both are the same. I have the ‘old’ bracelet on my in-house BB.

I don’t know if the BB GMT will have a different case though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post

The ETA movement bracelet fits the in-house watch. I've seen it done a number of times. The in-house movement requires a deeper case BACK. The mid cases aren't different.

Craftsman
    Proof, if it were ever needed that the Rolex date models would look SO MUCH better without those hideous Cyclops!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post
    Proof, if it were ever needed that the Rolex date models would look SO MUCH better without those hideous Cyclops!
    If only Rolex released an amazing dive watch without the cyclops to see how the market would respond (it was an abject failure)... People want the cyclops. It's just the way that it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    If only Rolex released an amazing dive watch without the cyclops to see how the market would respond (it was an abject failure)... People want the cyclops. It's just the way that it is.
    Hold on, Seadwellers have never had Cyclops on them......

Master

Master
    Does this count as a Rolex Hommage????

Latest one does.

Phoned up goldsmith’s cardinal place in London.. they say their list is of around 1000 names long, mine being one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk