closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Scammer or just an idiot?

Scammer or just an idiot?

I sold a motorcycle part to a guy in Australia on the 21st February and sent it using eBay’s global shipping program.

Today I got this message from him and can’t make out whether he’s trying something in or is just a bit simple.

hi i purchased this item and have been over charged from my paypal account for this the purchase price was $16.00 gbp and $20.65 gbp postage my account has had deductions to david feb 21 st for $24.95 gbp pitneyboweslimited feb 21 st for $11.70 gbp and also jan 31 st pitneyboweslimited for $13.67 gbp the total of these deductions amount to $50.32 gbp the difference being from purchase price $13.67 gbp ($26.30) au dollars would you be able to confirm this and have my paypal account credited asap ********@yahoo.com thank you for your assistance

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Dave+63; 21st March 2018 at 14:11.

Craftsman
    Have you received any extra money? Eithe way I think id tell him to report it to paypal and let them do the investiagtion.

It's not for you to sort. It's PayPal.

Either he's an idiot and genuinely thinks you decided what amount to withdraw from his PayPal, or he's a scammer.

If you received the exact amount of money you were charging for the item and if your price was clear and transparent, then the purchaser needs to address the problem with PayPal or eBay.
    I am not encouraged by the purchasers use of the dollar sign to denote the pound.

He used the dollar sign because he’s in Australia. It’s the fact that he’s questioning a sum taken three weeks before he bought the item that I’m struggling to get my head around!

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/...language=en-gb

Reading that link the Pitney Bowes thing seems to be a global problem! Good luck.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Global shipping charges?

He buys the item from you and you ship it to EBay. No longer your problem!

It's GSP. Just politely tell him to talk to ebay. It's not your problem once ebay Uk receive it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it’s not my problem and I’m happy that I’ve nothing to worry about.

Even if he decided to leave me negative feedback I’ll just get it removed.

It’s the dates involved that I find interesting, perhaps time goes backwards in the Southern Hemisphere!

Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/...language=en-gb

Reading that link the Pitney Bowes thing seems to be a global problem! Good luck.

Wow that is annoying

From that PP link it seems Pitney Bowes are taking the import fee, which might explain the extra £13.67, but that seems an awful lot for import duty on a £36 package.

What's Australia's import tax rate because that would be nearly 40%.

I don’t think that the £13.67 is from his purchase off me at all; it was taken out of his account three weeks BEFORE he bought an item from me!

Perhaps it is customs charges or similar ?

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Perhaps it is customs charges or similar ?
    I agree. Don't think he's a scammer, just doesn't understand the charges. Not alone so probably not an idiot either.

This Pitney fella must be minted.

Master
    Blog Entries
    it is NOT your problem so don't take it on is my advice!

Jim

tell him nicely to take it up with Pitney Bowes - their customer service and tracking has improved over the years ...

they charge shipping and import duties which they work out on their own secret formula and if it really is less tough - amazon do similar but say they will refund you the difference in import duty....

I bought a laptop from US and it was under the GSP - the shipping charge and Import Duty was clearly mentioned on the listing so I knew what I was getting into.

Well he hasn’t come back to me overnight so I’m assuming he’s realised what he’s done.

If he gives you negative feedback, contact ebay to have it rescinded, because you haven't done anything wrong!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I know it’s not my problem and I’m happy that I’ve nothing to worry about.

Even if he decided to leave me negative feedback I’ll just get it removed.

It’s the dates involved that I find interesting, perhaps time goes backwards in the Southern Hemisphere!

Master
    Blog Entries
    He's querying the £13.67 taken 3 weeks before you sold him the item, so that can be nothing whatsoever to do with your sale. It probably relates to some completely different purchase from a completely different seller & he's confused. So yes, he's simple

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    He's querying the £13.67 taken 3 weeks before you sold him the item, so that can be nothing whatsoever to do with your sale. It probably relates to some completely different purchase from a completely different seller & he's confused. So yes, he's simple
    Or else he’s a time traveler and his flux capacitor is playing up :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    From that PP link it seems Pitney Bowes are taking the import fee, which might explain the extra £13.67, but that seems an awful lot for import duty on a £36 package.

What's Australia's import tax rate because that would be nearly 40%.
    you don't pay anything if the value of your imported goods is under $1000 :

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/impo/buyi

Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    they charge shipping and import duties which they work out on their own secret formula and if it really is less tough - amazon do similar but say they will refund you the difference in import duty....
    I bought a laptop bag from amazon US a few years back and paid slightly more import VAT then I should have. they refunded me automatically (I didn't even know I was charged more)
    Last edited by asteclaru; 24th March 2018 at 21:42.