closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: So who has already called an AD to go on Ze List for a Pepsi GMT?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    I like it :)
    Me too. Looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by rincewind View Post
    That looks stunning, think i'd take that over a Pepsi TBH.
    It certainly does! I’d opt for that over the Pepsi.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I have been told the watch really needs to be in Thailand for at least a year as a result
    Knowing firsthand how many Rolexes leave Europe daily only to be smuggled into Bangkok by Thai Aircrew I find this bit equally hilarious and ridiculous... You'd do well to help send one back our way lol.

S**thole country I believe is a popular term that applies here... (I'm also married to a Thai btw).

Master
    I think the whole situation is ridiculous but it's hardly the dealers fault.

Shops have been looking after locals forever. You're a local at the butchers and you get the best cuts and so in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Knowing firsthand how many Rolexes leave Europe daily only to be smuggled into Bangkok by Thai Aircrew I find this bit equally hilarious and ridiculous... You'd do well to help send one back our way lol.

S**thole country I believe is a popular term that applies here... (I'm also married to a Thai btw).
    The issue stems from Thailand having much better SS Rolex availability (due to historically the archetypal Rolex-to-buy in Thailand being a TT Datejust) and Rolex getting miffed with Thai AD Steel models turning up in Singapore and Hong Kong at grey dealers with unerring frequency.

And yes I know what you mean about Thai aircrew- I bought a stickered Hulk for £5k in Chiang Mai at a grey dealer with warranty card showing the AD being in Sweden.

That being said I've been able to benefit the other way round however now this AD (in Chiang Mai) has said Thai nationals only due to Rolex getting sh*tty about it.

I use another AD in Bangkok (with them I'm currently in the process of trying to sort out a couple of Daytonas for members I know very well here by pulling in a favour via a relationship my wife has) who aren't as strict about it but are part of a different franchise so it could be that the Chiang Mai franchise has gotten beaten up by Rolex recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    I spent just over £20k with them in 2016 (3 watches from their Rugby branch) and last year they introduced the withholding of warranty cards for 12 months so I passed on the Seadweller 50th as I didn’t care for their new terms of business and mistreatment of good customers.
    12 months is less time than it’s taken me to get the ruddy watch! LOL!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    My contact there will be back from holiday tomorrow so I may find out more. At this point I also have pretty much ruled myself out. I have only bought 2 from them in 2 years and both were steel watches of relatively low value. If it happens, great. If not, life goes on.
    Not as bad as I thought earlier. The salesperson who I have previously bought from twice has confirmed that I will be on the list. No idea about timing though. I am guessing it will be after all their big spenders have received theirs first.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Thats all well and good but you could have flipped one or all of them to WF for all they know. If you're keeping it whats the problem waiting for a warranty card?

We haven't, pure and simple. I just hate the "we don't trust you not to sell it for any reason (flipping for profit, or, perish the thought you don't like/bond with the watch you own and having the choice to sell it at any price to anyone you care to) so we'll try stop you any way we can" feeling.

That's just all wrong imo

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Timescale matters. I’m not filthy rich, but $75k over ten years seems easily doable.

My problem is the relative lack of decent watches that Rolex currently sells. Besides the odd hot model, the new fat cases are a no go for me.
    Sadly the timescale is all too often defined by the duration the store manager is employed by that particular branch... Dealing with Rolex is as bad as dealing with Porsche OPCs and the DPs who drop you home waiting for a brown envelope to be left on the passenger seat...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would have been fine getting a Ceramic Daytona / GMT etc if my AD never lost its dealership since I had a great relationship with them. I had bought many Rolex, Omega and also a pricey Engagement / Wedding ring.

To build a new relationship I would have to buy PM Rolex or many Explorers, Airkings etc and other watches I have no desire for from a new AD.

I think for a newcomer or somebody in my position, greys or overseas travel are now the only way for a decent SS Sports Rolex (or a fluke)!

I cant see even a increase in supply improving the situation, such is the demand for these watches now. Kind of makes me thankful for what I have and did have!!

Pity Rolex did not update the movement in all watches, we might have had the "old" ones flood the used market a bit
    Last edited by kultschar; 25th March 2018 at 13:19.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    I would have been fine getting a Ceramic Daytona / GMT etc if my AD never lost its dealership since I had a great relationship with them. I had bought many Rolex, Omega and also a pricey Engagement / Wedding ring.

To build a new relationship I would have to buy PM Rolex or many Explorers, Airkings etc and other watches I have no desire for from a new AD.
    This is the best argument I’ve seen for centralizing allocations, at least at the country level. If Rolex wants to know everything about buyers, they should really invest the effort into doing something with the information.

Craftsman
    I've got this reply from one AD:

"In line with many other retailers, we are no longer keeping lists for any of the sought after Rolex models; I believe I mentioned this in a previous email to you.
    As you are probably aware, the demand for these watches far outstrips the supply. We now put all our watches in the window as and when we receive them,
    giving all our local customers an equal chance of purchase.
    I am afraid the same applies to the new GMT Master for which I anticipate a great demand."

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vcarter View Post

"In line with many other retailers, we are no longer keeping lists for any of the sought after Rolex models; I believe I mentioned this in a previous email to you.
    As you are probably aware, the demand for these watches far outstrips the supply. We now put all our watches in the window as and when we receive them,
    I am afraid the same applies to the new GMT Master for which I anticipate a great demand."
    That's different, I am assuming the window part is nonsense and they will sell to locals and existing customers which almost all other ADs are doing.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    As nice as that would be I think the supply will go to ‘good’ customers first and leave it to the secondary market for everyone else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyR View Post
    That's different, I am assuming the window part is nonsense and they will sell to locals and existing customers which almost all other ADs are doing.

That’s pretty much my local AD said when I popped in yesterday. They may choose to have a “local list” but not in the sense that you can ask to be on it, more likely, the will choose who to offer pieces to.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The whole “local” thing is all I ever hear now. Guess cant blame them to look after local customers first

A local watch for local people

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    A local watch for local people
    Hmm sounds like something for the 'unstartable threads...'

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    The whole “local” thing is all I ever hear now. Guess cant blame them to look after local customers first
    What makes you "local"? What if there is no Rolex AD in town? If you can't pop in the store every week to say hi and ask about a new SS shipment, you can't buy a Rolex there? Or if you drive through and you're just lucky and they've got one "in the window", then you become a local?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    That’s pretty much my local AD said when I popped in yesterday. They may choose to have a “local list” but not in the sense that you can ask to be on it, more likely, the will choose who to offer pieces to.
    Yip, doesn't sound very promising does it....

Master
    What makes you "local"? What if there is no Rolex AD in town? If you can't pop in the store every week to say hi and ask about a new SS shipment, you can't buy a Rolex there? Or if you drive through and you're just lucky and they've got one "in the window", then you become a local?
    It sucks worse for people who live in London, NYC, and SF - huge cities filled with (1) tons of super-rich locals, and (2) tons of super-rich tourists. A normal "one watch per year" guy doesn't get the time of day in places like that.

Craftsman
    It sucks for all concerned and as said, short of buying a load of watches that you don't really want, if you're not already in the circle then you're screwed. The only way things will change is if Rolex up supply, but they've got no reason to, so this will persist until there is some obstruction to flipping and making £2-3k overnight.

Don't worry about it, buy something else if you have to.

A year ago this problem (Pepsi) didn't exist, people were happy with their lot.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Indeed, I have seen the WG model in the flesh. I think we all perceive colour differently but the blue has certainly always looked very purple to my eye.
    Both the new steel and WG bezels’ top halves appeared purple-ish to my eyes too. Could be lighting. However, BLNR looked like a proper blue in the same lighting.

Journeyman
    Could it be the same colour but applied over the red it looks purple compared to the same applied over black?

Banned
    What a crazy world Rolex has become . Customers feeling privileged just to be honoured to be on the actual waiting list to buy one of their watches . I’m
    No different to be honest !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

So who has already called an AD to go on Ze List for a Pepsi GMT?

I’m in the list but thinking the Root Beer is my preference and I’m looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Do we know the price of this beauty?

I don’t believe that for a second. A good customer will get a call and be stood right outside the window when it is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by UsefulG View Post
    Could it be the same colour but applied over the red it looks purple compared to the same applied over black?

Yes, someone posted that this was the reason. Especially under uv light the red can show through.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Stockholm Syndrome
    Geneva Fever

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    Do we know the price of this beauty?
    £10350
    https://www.rolex.com/watches/gmt-ma...chnr-0002.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans View Post
    It sucks for all concerned and as said, short of buying a load of watches that you don't really want, if you're not already in the circle then you're screwed. The only way things will change is if Rolex up supply, but they've got no reason to, so this will persist until there is some obstruction to flipping and making £2-3k overnight.
    I resigned myself long ago that I won't be able to buy myself a new SS sports Rolex at a UK AD. I just don't have an endless supply of ready cash or desire to give my local AD a 'reach around' every month or so by buying something I don't want. I would have bought a Batman, an SD50 or possibly a Daytona by now if they were actually available to buy at retail but since I'm not prepared to participate in these silly games (mythical waiting lists, stroking peoples ' special AD relationship' ego's, flippers, profiteers and the ridiculous prices in the grey dealers etc..), I have chosen to go without. I have a few nice older Rolex pieces to enjoy instead, since they are much more accessible, that I've bought on my travels. The GMT Batman will fall out of favour eventually and I'll have one then. In the meantime there is a whole world of more interesting watches to obsess about.

For the first time in many a year I blanked out the Basel releases and deliberately waited a week to catch up with the news. Its a bit of misnomer, and consequent yawn fest, when these so called releases can't actually be bought easily. I like the look of this new GMT but I can't be arsed with all the shenanigans year in year out. I just don't see the point.

Craftsman

So who has already called an AD to go on Ze List for a Pepsi GMT?

Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    I'm not prepared to participate in these silly games (mythical waiting lists, stroking peoples ' special AD relationship' ego's, flippers, profiteers and the ridiculous prices in the grey dealers etc..).
    In the meantime there is a whole world of more interesting watches to obsess about.
    Glad to see that I'm not completely alone in thinking that there many at least equally high quality watches out there which actually are available

And, before anyone bangs on about "resale value" -- please realise that some of us don't give a fig: (we don’t sell).
    Last edited by Yokel; 27th March 2018 at 19:26.

Apprentice

This is how I got my Hulk - happened to be passing my local AD in Guildford and they'd just finished putting it in the window. He said they didn't bother with waiting lists any more as too many people declined when they eventually got the phone call. He said it was just as easy to put them in the window and let them sell.

Craftsman

Over rrp

Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    Glad to see that I'm not completely alone in thinking that there many at least equally high quality watches out there which actually are available

I think when you start to see dealers asking for over RRP on Rolex yachtmasters and bi colour sports, as they are now, then it is time to look elsewhere at other watch brands and no longer play the game of I must only have a Rolex on the wrist.

Had to shake my head in disbelief, Yachtmasters and bi colour over RRP.

Apologies but mt reply seems to have been incorporated into the original post of Yokel.

And, before anyone bangs on about "resale value" -- please realise that some of us don't give a fig: (we don’t sell).
    Last edited by Flasher; 27th March 2018 at 19:57. Reason: Error

Master
    We now put all our watches in the window as and when we receive them,
    That would be amazing if they did indeed do that. I can fully understand ADs favouring the highest spending customers - however frustrating it is for us mere mortals.

Are you going to share the AD name/location? I’ll get my tent and sleeping bag!

Craftsman
    I'm sure staff would tip customers off

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacamack View Post
    This is how I got my Hulk - happened to be passing my local AD in Guildford and they'd just finished putting it in the window. He said they didn't bother with waiting lists any more as too many people declined when they eventually got the phone call. He said it was just as easy to put them in the window and let them sell.
    M&W?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    M&W?
    It was Prestons.

Banned
    It was Prestons.
    That certainly isn't the case now, as with other AD you can't get on " the list" unless you have already purchased an expensive watch before. Also they were holding cards for 6 months and now when the new GMT comes out its 12 months.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    That would be amazing if they did indeed do that. I can fully understand ADs favouring the highest spending customers - however frustrating it is for us mere mortals.

Are you going to share the AD name/location? I’ll get my tent and sleeping bag!
    It was Michael Spiers.

The Rolex obsession would appear to be it's own punishment.

Last edited by bedlam; 28th March 2018 at 02:34.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    That certainly isn't the case now, as with other AD you can't get on " the list" unless you have already purchased an expensive watch before. Also they were holding cards for 6 months and now when the new GMT comes out its 12 months.
    They held the card for my Hulk for 6 months but that didn't bother me to be honest, I was just delighted to get the watch as I'd been looking for quite some time.
    It's already been earmarked by one of my nephews so it's not going anywhere!

Master
    I have brought three Rolex watches (and other stuff) from my local AD and they have never withheld anything. Following my visit to populate the ‘interest’ form he mentioned that given the possibility of people flipping these - said they check WF for Identical serial numbers - head office have said we are to keep the warranty cards. ‘Even for customers like me’ he said who don’t do that. Can’t believe they really go to this much trouble but there you have it.

What we can assume is that if you want one the wait will be long and AD’s will likely take your warranty card away for up to 12 months. If you don’t want this don’t buy one or go grey market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Yes but only once the hype has died. I can’t imagine them not looking after their favourite clients first, say 10 or so people that but frequently, and then operating a window first come first served scenario afterwards.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Personally I don't thing the BLRO is the best looking in the current range.

Brown TT ( rootbeer) - Need to see it in the metal and ceramic, but on first impressions its a stunner.
    BLNR - Great representation of day and night.
    BLRO - Nice nod to the past, jubilee is nice thing to have in a collection, not over an oyster though.
    LN - Black is always a great do all watch.
    Brown ROSE GOLD - Nicest PM sports watch for some time
    BLRO GOLD - Blue face looks washed out from the pics.

Blog Entries
    Spoke to one AD who 'vetted' my worthiness to go on their list. Was asked questions regarding my current collection, what I have owned, am I a collector, how much do I spend etc. Not sure if I passed the test. This is all getting far too out of hand

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Spoke to one AD who 'vetted' my worthiness to go on their list. Was asked questions regarding my current collection, what I have owned, am I a collector, how much do I spend etc. Not sure if I passed the test. This is all getting far too out of hand
    It is a very old fashioned way of enhancing the brand and unfortunately it works.

He who walks out with a brand new Rolex on his wrist has something that is sought after.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    I'm on the list but I think I might end up going for a TT root beer instead.
    Everytime I see this model, it appears the colour in the pictures are off, and its difficult to see the actual colour.