closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: So who has already called an AD to go on Ze List for a Pepsi GMT?

Master
    Supposing all new in-demand Rolex watches were sold by internet auction. Highest bidder, beginning and end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I can’t agree with that. They are a business and will look after their regular customers first so in a way it is a loyalty thing. They would far rather sell to a long standing client who they know will wear and enjoy the watch than some random buyer who could be flipping it for all they know.
    Problem is you can’t become a regular customer unless you can buy their products and you can’t buy their products unless you’re a regular customer and you can’t become a regular customer unless you can buy their products and you can’t buy their products unless you’re a regular customer and you can’t become a regular customer unless you can buy their products and you can’t buy their products unless you’re a regular customer and you can’t become a regular customer unless you can buy their products and you can’t buy their products unless you’re a regular customer and you can’t become a regular customer unless you can buy their products and you can’t buy their products unless you’re a regular customer and you can’t become a regular customer unless you can buy their products and you can’t buy their products unless you’re a regular customer and you can’t become a regular customer unless you can buy their products.
    I can see a pattern here 😂

Banned
    I think there should be a waiting list so that you can get on the waiting list , that should solve it

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Problem is you can’t become a regular customer unless you can buy their products and you can’t buy their products unless you’re a regular customer and you can’t become a regular customer unless you can buy their products and you can’t buy their products unless you’re a regular customer and you can’t become a regular customer unless you can buy their products and you can’t buy their products unless you’re a regular customer and you can’t become a regular customer unless you can buy their products and you can’t buy their products unless you’re a regular customer and you can’t become a regular customer unless you can buy their products and you can’t buy their products unless you’re a regular customer and you can’t become a regular customer unless you can buy their products and you can’t buy their products unless you’re a regular customer and you can’t become a regular customer unless you can buy their products.
    I can see a pattern here 
    You can buy their products though, there’s loads of em! Just not the half a dozen or so highly sought after models. I totally get that people don’t like it but that’s the way Rolex in their wisdom have set the rules.

So:

1. Play the game or
    2. Walk away

There’s dozens and dozens of these posts knocking what Rolex are doing, but it doesn’t appear that they are going to change things despite all the protests.

Quote Originally Posted by charlies View Post
    I think there should be a waiting list so that you can get on the waiting list , that should solve it

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    There already is. They are called 'expression of interest forms'

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You can buy their products though, there’s loads of em! Just not the half a dozen or so highly sought after models. I totally get that people don’t like it but that’s the way Rolex in their wisdom have set the rules.

So:

1. Play the game or
    2. Walk away

There’s dozens and dozens of these posts knocking what Rolex are doing, but it doesn’t appear that they are going to change things despite all the protests.
    Plus you don't necessarily have to buy Rolex products. Most ADs bar boutiques stock other brands so all tastes are catered for.

It gets on my wick all of this gum bumping about lists and people on lists and the sh*t flinging in their direction from entitled twerps who wouldn't buy a new watch if they were held at gunpoint but expect the rewards of a Daytona the day after they phone asking for one.
    Toddlers.

So:

1. Play the game or
    2. Walk away

Nah, just buy from watchfinder...cheaper that way!

Master
    I can see a pattern here 
    Most watch shops are also jewlery shops. A sufficieint number of these

would get you whatever Rolex you want.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Most watch shops are also jewlery shops. A sufficieint number of these

would get you whatever Rolex you want.
    See my response above 😜

Master
    Unless a WF watch comes with a free set of bling bling chains, I think my plan makes more sense.

Master

D

Nah, just buy from watchfinder...cheaper that way!
    And pay way over you mean?

I bought a 116500 and 5711 from an AD. Any idea what WF sell them for?

Still fill your boots there fella :-)

So:

1. Play the game or
    2. Walk away

It’s not Rolex setting the rules as far as anyone knows, it’s the ADs. I wouldn’t have thought Rolex care who their watches are sold to and it’s the AD’s loyal customers who are benefitting, not necessarily Rolex’s!

Craftsman
    I think he means cheaper buying from WF at inflated prices than buying a load of other stuff you don’t want or need at an AD to then get the one you do want...

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Sorry but I disagree. Why shouldn’t the other guy be able to buy it? He’s got every right to buy it surely?

It’s not a loyalty scheme.
    A 'right' to buy? How does that come to exist? How does having money give you rights over other people's property?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trainspanner View Post
    I think he means cheaper buying from WF at inflated prices than buying a load of other stuff you don’t want or need at an AD to then get the one you do want...
    Maybe but there’s irony in all of that. It’s the likes of WF that have pushed up the grey market to such an extent that people are desperate to get one of these watches so they can flip it to WF the next day to make a few grand.

If all these watches tanked in value the day you bought them it would be a totally different game - you’d be able to buy whatever you want!

Unless a WF watch comes with a free set of bling bling chains, I think my plan makes more sense.

👊🏻 One love

- - - Updated - - -

And pay way over you mean?

I bought a 116500 and 5711 from an AD. Any idea what WF sell them for?

Still fill your boots there fella :-)
    I don’t think you’re following...

Master
     One love

- - - Updated - - -

I don’t think you’re following...
    I don’t think you’re following the AD issue... it’s like a broken record. It ain’t going to change anytime soon. But by all means carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    A 'right' to buy? How does that come to exist? How does having money give you rights over other people's property?
    You know exactly what I mean, you’re just being argumentative as per.

Talking of ze list, you just made mine. Congrats. It’s long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    You know exactly what I mean, you’re just being argumentative as per.

Talking of ze list, you just made mine. Congrats. It’s long overdue.
    I don't know "exactly" what you mean, quite the opposite, I'm paying your words the compliment of being read and taken seriously. If you choose to take that as a personal affront, and an excuse to move from discussion to insult, that's your call.

I made a general point, you specifically replied to me, quoting my post. If you don't want a discussion with me, don't start one. Your reply to me started "I disagree" and I'm the one being "argumentative"?

I don’t think you’re following the AD issue... it’s like a broken record. It ain’t going to change anytime soon. But by all means carry on.
    ? You’re right you’ve lost me 😂

Master
    I really wonder if it would be cheaper to buy a few super in-demand watches from WF (say a 5711, new Pepsi, and DaytonaC) the moment they get released, or buy a bunch of Datejusts/OPs and then immediately flip them NIB at a loss.

I'll be honest, all of this "can't get a sought after watch is you've not bought tens of thousands of pounds worth of gold and diamonds" is not my experience at all.

Walked into AD, having never bought anything from them before
    Struck up conversation with salesperson
    Said I was interested in BLNR
    Was asked to pay a deposit
    Paid a deposit
    Got a call in 8 weeks saying my BLNR had arrived

This was approx 10 months ago.

I have no reason to believe the same wouldn't happen with any other sought after Rolex - Money talks, put down a sizeable deposit and get what you desire!

Master
    I really wonder if it would be cheaper to buy a few super in-demand watches from WF (say a 5711, new Pepsi, and DaytonaC) the moment they get released, or buy a bunch of Datejusts/OPs and then immediately flip them NIB at a loss.
    But....far more customers want Datejusts and Oyster Perpetuals/Explorers than want the 'professional' models. And I, for one, can see why. Most customers buy a Rolex to wear for many years, not to 'flip'. The perspective on the forums is utterly different to that of the vast majority of Rolex customers. You'l find many of them have no interest at all in the more 'bling' stuff.
    The steel 'sports' stuff holds price simply because Rolex don't make so many,and they don't make so many because that's not where the real money is. I suspect the Datejust alone sells more watches than the entire 'professional' series. That's why they make so many.
    What's more, a large increase in production would soon reveal how thin the demand truly is . I think Rolex know their market. And it's not typically on the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRS2113 View Post
    I'll be honest, all of this "can't get a sought after watch is you've not bought tens of thousands of pounds worth of gold and diamonds" is not my experience at all.

put down a sizeable deposit and get what you desire!
    ^^^Don`t come on here with your sizable deposit, cooperative, friendly dealer and easy, straight-forward buying experience...
    This thread has got another five hundred posts to make yet, we can`t have it petering out after just five miserly pages with tales of stress-free purchases and common sense!

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    ^^^Don`t come on here with your sizable deposit, cooperative, friendly dealer and easy, straight-forward buying experience...
    This thread has got another five hundred posts to make yet, we can`t have it petering out after just five miserly pages with tales of stress-free purchases and common sense!
    Just spat my tea out -

Walked into AD, having never bought anything from them before
    Struck up conversation with salesperson
    Said I was interested in BLNR
    Was asked to pay a deposit
    Paid a deposit
    Got a call in 8 weeks saying my BLNR had arrived

This was approx 10 months ago.

I have no reason to believe the same wouldn't happen with any other sought after Rolex - Money talks, put down a sizeable deposit and get what you desire!
    Which AD please?

Tarratt's in Leicester. They categorically won't deal with people who chance their arm on the phone though, you'll need to go and sit down with them and drink their coffee...

Craftsman
    Tarratt's in Leicester. They categorically won't deal with people who chance their arm on the phone though, you'll need to go and sit down with them and drink their coffee...
    I did the same , walked in and asked to be put on the list ... Few weeks later up popped the blnr , picked that up and ordered a hulk ... Same thing happened . The jc deep blue I've been hanging on the list for 18months but won't get one of them now

Master
    I find it bizarre that people have such loyalty to a brand that treats them so badly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    I find it bizarre that people have such loyalty to a brand that treats them so badly.
    Stockholm Syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Stockholm Syndrome
    Brilliant!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Thumbs up

I spent just over £20k with them in 2016 (3 watches from their Rugby branch) and last year they introduced the withholding of warranty cards for 12 months so I passed on the Seadweller 50th as I didn’t care for their new terms of business and mistreatment of good customers.

Well at least we can all be happy that the high prices paid for these Rolex means a lot of it goes to charity, It's a nice tax on the rich really. However they should let us write off our purchases as charitable donations then!

How long is the lead time normally from Baselworld to appearing on people's wrists?

Master
    Have spoken to a number of ADs in central London, and general view is you really need to have spent £50-100k with them to be considered for their preferred VIP list.

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Have spoken to a number of ADs in central London, and general view is you really need to have spent £50-100k with them to be considered for their preferred VIP list.
    Yep, cheaper at watchfinder 👍🏻

This thread is depressing and laughable in equal measures.

There should just be a secret Rolex handshake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t agree with that. They are a business and will look after their regular customers first so in a way it is a loyalty thing. They would far rather sell to a long standing client who they know will wear and enjoy the watch than some random buyer who could be flipping it for all they know.
    I think you got that completely wrong, we are regular customer given the chance. And selling to long standing customers who will wear and enjoy it, it seems like most flip almost straight away for a profit so they can finance their next. Now that may not be be you, I’m in no way implying it is, but there sure is a lot of it going on.
    And as to some random guy buying a sports Rolex, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Frakius View Post
    Well at least we can all be happy that the high prices paid for these Rolex means a lot of it goes to charity, It's a nice tax on the rich really. However they should let us write off our purchases as charitable donations then!

How long is the lead time normally from Baselworld to appearing on people's wrists?
    Hahaha. Brilliant!

Craftsman
    Am I dreaming to think that having filled the online registration of interest for my local AD and having had that acknowledged, that I am actually now in the position of being in a list to be invited to purchase at some time in the future? I really didn’t imagine it would be more difficult than that.

I do of course accept others may get jumped to the top as they have a better relationship or whatevs, but I hope I’ll be kept on file for when these are properly released.

Master

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by waser View Post
    This thread is depressing and laughable in equal measures.

There should just be a secret Rolex handshake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, you’ve not experienced it...

By the time the average punter nears the top the next big thing will be announced and they'll want that instead.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Timescale matters. I’m not filthy rich, but $75k over ten years seems easily doable.

My problem is the relative lack of decent watches that Rolex currently sells. Besides the odd hot model, the new fat cases are a no go for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    I spent just over £20k with them in 2016 (3 watches from their Rugby branch) and last year they introduced the withholding of warranty cards for 12 months so I passed on the Seadweller 50th as I didn’t care for their new terms of business and mistreatment of good customers.
    Thats all well and good but you could have flipped one or all of them to WF for all they know. If you're keeping it whats the problem waiting for a warranty card?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    I think you got that completely wrong, we are regular customer given the chance. And selling to long standing customers who will wear and enjoy it, it seems like most flip almost straight away for a profit so they can finance their next. Now that may not be be you, I’m in no way implying it is, but there sure is a lot of it going on.
    And as to some random guy buying a sports Rolex, why not?
    The fact that there’s so many threads on all the forums moaning about people not being able to buy certain models shows I’m not wrong. Clearly there is a small number of watches compared to the buyers and the customers with the best track records are getting them! AD’s are a business and I often wonder if people know how businesses work in the real world.

We’re quite lucky as MS is definitely more of an old school business with traditional values compared to many. They’ll occasionally have a sub in one of their windows - quite rare nowadays.

Journeyman
    Although i don't like it, i think i can rationalise and accept a lot of what we are seeing:

1) dealers with limited stock and fixed selling prices reserving the in-demand models for their existing big spending customers, or those buying other expensive items at the same time - sounds reasonable if you are a business wanting to maximise revenue/profit.

2) rolex - a mass manufacturer of watches, keeping supply limited on a few high profile products in order to support the perception of exclusivity across the whole range. Seems a good strategy particularly if you make the big bucks on other lines such as the Datejust which you sell much more of.

The bit that is completely unacceptable though is just the sheer rudeness/ high handedness of the ADs - i only have experience of one, but from this and other threads it seems many ADs fall in the same camp. A bit of empathy and some improved customer management and communication skills might see me buying more from them (rolex, other brands, jewellery etc that they stock).

As someone else posted earlier in the thread - you can either play the game or walk away - no one is forcing us to buy / (try to buy!). I'll play the game for any watch that i really really want, but not spend a penny otherwise with any AD that treats me poorly.

Master
    I'm on the list but I think I might end up going for a TT root beer instead.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    I like it :)

Nah go full on gold (though that us ridiculously expensive.....)

Master
    That looks stunning, think i'd take that over a Pepsi TBH.

I've got another confirmed which I'm happy to pass on here but there are quite a few caveats as below.

AD is in Northern Thailand. The AD now will only sell Rolex sports that require waiting lists to Thai nationals (my wife is unbeknownst to her the reservee here). I have been told the watch really needs to be in Thailand for at least a year as a result (plus I don't fancy having to pay 20% UK Vat) hence I'm swerving this and offering it to a Thai national living in Thailand or a non Thai national living in Thailand with a Thai spouse. You must be resident in Thailand with the requisite visas else just don't bother.

This next bit is rather onerous and im sorry if this causes offence but its not my rules so here goes;

If your spouse originates from the Isan region of Thailand and becomes the buyer on your behalf she (this only applies to females) will need to show evidence of respectable employment (such as pay slips, business receipts etc) or if she doesn't work then a university degree certificate. This doesn't apply for non Isan Thai nationals. I'm not going into detail here as to why this rule is as it is - people with an understanding of Thailand will know why and again I don't want to cause offence but non compliance with this and the watch just isn't going to be available and a loss of face will occur all round.

There are no exceptions to This, no point sending me a PM and asking me to bring it to the UK for you as I will tell you to do one.