closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: So who has already called an AD to go on Ze List for a Pepsi GMT?

If the bezel is the same as the WG then its colours are a lot more delicate than in all these pictures.

Master
    My AD confirmed me as #1 on ze list

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans View Post
    The problem is, Rolex has no incentive to change it. It means they can sell out of their product every year without fail. The demand is because of the exclusivity and the perceived ability to make a quick buck on flipping.

I would like this watch to keep and wear, however if I did get one, I would have to think very hard about whether or not to sell if the bids in the market were £11-12k. I'm in a privileged position to be able to consider spending £6.8k on a watch, I'm not however so privileged that I could ignore an overnight £5k profit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Remember what the late Maggie Thatcher said - you cannot buck the market.

Sellers and buyers alone create the market, it's no ones fault, it is not right and it is not wrong, it just happens.

There's not a fixed number of Rolex watches produced because of some cosmological constant. They can choose to make more.

It's also not as easy as assuming that Rolex are selling everything and therefore have no incentive to change it - certainly it's nowhere near this bad in any other market, so if their strategists intended it to be like this, it'd probably be like this everywhere. The situation in the UK has arisen because Rolex have chosen not to respond to events that have impacted the UK luxury goods market in the short and medium term. They have not increased supply here, nor have they increased prices in our market. They are leaving money on the table to avoid appearing reactionary, which is a legitimate strategy, but it's become so bad that they are undoubtedly alienating an indeterminable number of prospective customers. It's hard to argue that that is ever a good idea in the long term. No brand's preeminence is unassailable.

You can walk into ADs in many parts of the world and find hulks and BLNRs, for example, in the case, at rrp.

For the sake of clarity, I'm not having a go at anyone other than Rolex HQ. I think they are scoring an own-goal right now in the UK market.
    Last edited by Fisi; 22nd March 2018 at 18:47.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisi View Post
    There's not a fixed number of Rolex watches produced because of some cosmological constant. They can choose to make more.

It's also not as easy as assuming that Rolex are selling everything and therefore have no incentive to change it - certainly it's nowhere near this bad in any other market, so if their strategists intended it to be like this, it'd probably be like this everywhere. The situation in the UK has arisen because Rolex have chosen not to respond to events that have impacted the UK luxury goods market in the short and medium term. They have not increased supply here, nor have they increased prices in our market. They are leaving money on the table to avoid appearing reactionary, which is a legitimate strategy, but it's become so bad that they are undoubtedly alienating an indeterminable number of prospective customers. It's hard to argue that that is ever a good idea in the long term. No brand's preeminence is unassailable.

You can walk into ADs in many parts of the world and find hulks and BLNRs, for example, in the case, at rrp.

For the sake of clarity, I'm not having a go at anyone other than Rolex HQ. I think they are scoring an own-goal right now in the UK market.
    I travel extensively throughout Europe and where ever I go, Rolex is in short supply as the ADs have less in stock now than they had had for several years.

If you own a Rolex, you are sitting on an appreciating asset and that encourages them to buy more, hence the current sight of WISs scrambling over each other to place a reserve on the latest GMT.

Rolex are, and always have been, the Past Masters in the art of marketing. To be honest I just wish I could buy shares in them.

Craftsman

You can walk into ADs in many parts of the world and find hulks and BLNRs, for example, in the case, at RRP.

I don’t think that’s the case though - there’s a global shortage of these models (+ Daytona). And the shortage is what creates the demand that ensures they sell out each year. Why do they not increase production? Because as the watches become more easily available, they don’t sell as well - look at the Rolex models that are easy to get hold of.

What I’m surprised by is the fact they haven’t bumped the price up by more globally - that’s where they’re leaving $$$ on the table.

Cable is trading at 1.4100 today - it’s climbed back up the cliff it fell off after the brexit referendum so the pricing differential isn’t as significant as it was.

Master
    This used to be the case, however much less so recently. One of my very good friends with a strong buying history (multiple Rolex, Tudor, BP, etc) at his AD had to wait six months for a ND Sub. This occurred in the USA, outside of the major tourist destination cities. That's unheard of here.

My local AD as already closed the list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There will absolutely come a time when things change, times get harder, the economy turns (whatever). All these silly waiting lists and ridiculous scenarios where you have to beg an AD to buy a watch and part with thousands will be put into perspective. People have long memories and these AD's and watch manufacturers will hopefully look back a be regretting there current policies. I won't have any sympathy ....

In the meantime......

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've just taken 'my' AD's family as hostages. They will be returned safely in exchange for a Pepsi GMT.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    I don't have an AD, since I buy watches intermittently, and mostly at Heathrow since that's only place I'm forced to go where there are shops. Nevertheless, I really fancy either the new Rolex Pepsi, or the Tudor GMT as a fall back, so I popped into Goldsmiths in Reading.

Nice chap told me I can't even go on a list for the Rolex, as I haven't bought from that store, but I can "go on a list" for the Tudor. A list! For a Tudor! For the Rolex, to go on the list you have to have bought a watch there and go in in person.

He also said instructions from head office are to hang onto papers for a year. To be fair, he though it was all a bit out of hand, mentioned my 16710 and said "you clearly hang on to them". Which is true, although I did only buy 16710 last summer, but I've had my Explorer II for best part of 20 years, SD4000 for 2 years, etc etc.

He said that Goldsmiths are being a bit OTT since the first blue faced sky dweller on the grey market had been sold by Goldsmiths, and he's never even seen one. He did say they get an SD50 in every 2-3 months though.

Now, do Watches of Switzerland at T5 count as an AD? Watches of Switzerland are apparently owned by the same group as Goldsmiths, and therefore same rules apply - ie if I go in in person I should be able to go on the list. Does that sound right?

And what's the chance of getting a Tudor during my lifetime?
    Interesting, was going to head into them tomorrow. Bought my 14060M from the oxford branch and 2 tudors from reading. Might call them first to see if I even qualify for the proper list before heading in. I can show I’ve still got them if it helps!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I was waiting to be seen at one of the Newcastle AD’s this evening to put my name down for the Tudor GMT (I don’t think I like Rolex) and the assistants conversation went like this.
    “Yes you can go on a list.....”
    “No idea when....”
    “You’ll need to come in in person I’m afraid....”
    “You’d be number 37 and we may only get one every 3-4months.....”
    “Yes I realise that could be 12 years.....”

OUCH!!

When she came to see to me I said “Basel Rolex Pepsi GMT?” And all she said was “All day!”

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    It’s funny, since seeing all these Pepsi pictures the ‘batman’ actually looks a lot more attractive suddenly. I really don’t like the bezel in this new offering, ceramic (apart from never ageing) doesn’t look to take a blue colour very well. It looks red and purple to me in the real pics. Rolex have adjusted the colour on the renderings as it looks blue, but the real pics I’ve seen on IG show it very purple.
    The bezel isn't new, it's been available on the GMT in white gold for some time and is very definitely blue.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    There will absolutely come a time when things change, times get harder, the economy turns (whatever). All these silly waiting lists and ridiculous scenarios where you have to beg an AD to buy a watch and part with thousands will be put into perspective. People have long memories and these AD's and watch manufacturers will hopefully look back a be regretting there current policies. I won't have any sympathy ....

In the meantime......

Good luck with that one....don't hold your breath chap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    He said that Goldsmiths are being a bit OTT since the first blue faced sky dweller on the grey market had been sold by Goldsmiths
    I’ve seen many sought after SS Rolex watches listed on Gumtree in the last few months said to have been purchased very recently from Goldsmiths, M&W etc or showing the guarantee card with the Aurum name. More often than not these were described as fully stickered and unsized/unworn. Their sales are certainly finding their way into the grey market. None have said the guarantee card has been withheld.

“A true tool watch” she says!

On a jubilee bracelet and likely to cost most buyers well over £7,000.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post

She sounds so bored!

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Good luck with that one....don't hold your breath chap.
    I won't be holding my breath but it will happen, it always does unfortunately

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post

The only tool there is the person who is quoted.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    Some might flip something in its favour. I think I will ... IF I am 'accepted' on the list and IF I get one.
    What would you flip from your currently collection fella?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Yes I am on the list so to speak. My AD said that its VIP customers then customers based on sales history and noting to do with first come first served. Doesn’t matter how quickly you called them. Assures me i will have one. We shall see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredamens View Post
    What would you flip from your currently collection fella?
    Who knows what I have left at that time but if it is the current collection, Sub Date probably.

I won't be holding my breath but it will happen, it always does unfortunately

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Well, to break down your post into the two specific parts....i) Another financial down turn/recession - Sure, that will of course happen as it is a natural order of things in, usually, a 10-12 year cycle. ii) Rolex AD's struggling to sell watches/Long waiting lists not existing/"hard to get watches" becoming freely available (paraphrasing your gist here) - No a chance in hell IMO.

Rolex are the masters in managing demand/supply for their product and that just isn't going to change anytime soon, or ever. As they aren't a business they simply don't need to chase sales as traditional business does for revenue/market share etc.

Well, to break down your post into the two specific parts....i) Another financial down turn/recession - Sure, that will of course happen as it is a natural order of things in, usually, a 10-12 year cycle. ii) Rolex AD's struggling to sell watches/Long waiting lists not existing/"hard to get watches" becoming freely available (paraphrasing your gist here) - No a chance in hell IMO.

Rolex are the masters in managing demand/supply for their product and that just isn't going to change anytime soon, or ever. As they aren't a business they simply don't need to chase sales as traditional business does for revenue/market share etc.
    I hear what your saying but it just doesn't make sense. Buyers and sellers create the market in which Rolex operates in.

So if you agree there will be a downturn which you rightly do, then demand for luxury goods will tank (always first to go). This means less people wanting to spend £6k on a watch. Those lists will become a distant memory and you'll even be able to get a discount on your Rolex purchase. I know its scary but it's true

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    The bezel isn't new, it's been available on the GMT in white gold for some time and is very definitely blue.
    Indeed, I have seen the WG model in the flesh. I think we all perceive colour differently but the blue has certainly always looked very purple to my eye. When you see the BLNR it shows what a sharp blue looks like. Pics below show the pair in the same light.

Don’t think I’m colour blind, or maybe I am

Anyway, not a deal breaker for me just saying what I see.

Nice but I've never liked Jubilee bracelets...too much stretch over time and it can only take that bracelet. No Oyster which is a pity which would make a proper "tool watch" to quote the "bored" lady in video.
    It is likely to cost best part of £8k (8,800sF =£6,500 plus VAT=£7,800).

Craftsman
    Indeed, I have seen the WG model in the flesh. I think we all perceive colour differently but the blue has certainly always looked very purple to my eye. When you see the BLNR it shows what a sharp blue looks like. Pics below show the pair in the same light.

You are absolutely correct - the pepsi bezel is made by putting the blue part over the red part...the effect is that under UV light the blue turns red and in sun light it has quite strong purple hues...not sure about that!

There is a video by Revolution on YouTube about the Rolex BW releases, the presenters are a bit annoying, but it shows/describes the "bubblegum" effect clearly

I hear what your saying but it just doesn't make sense. Buyers and sellers create the market in which Rolex operates in.

So if you agree there will be a downturn which you rightly do, then demand for luxury goods will tank (always first to go). This means less people wanting to spend £6k on a watch. Those lists will become a distant memory and you'll even be able to get a discount on your Rolex purchase. I know its scary but it's true

Economical movements are a given. "demand for luxury goods to tank" - that is not proven, but is just a perception/hope in this case. As someone that runs a business in this sector (Luxury goods/HNW) it's something I have seen up close for 12-13 years.

As for Rolex you seem to forget the clear market trajectory over many recent here.......how long ago was it that you could a) buy any Rolex Professional S/S watch out of the AD window display? b) How much did it cost? and c) Was a discount freely available on said product?

Even if the hallowed "waiting lists" are a figment of imagination that run to 20/50/100+?! people taking a watch like the GMT II Master Pepsi at £6,800 you can be assured that the AD's/Rolex will easily sell 2-4 units per year at full RRP and manage the supply through any economic downturn that may occur.

It's fine to hark back to times past (or cling onto the hope they return to your own benefit) but in this market what might have happened many years ago is not an automatic cycle to be repeated...which is kind of your assertion/hope.

Happy to be proven wrong and I'll take any bet on it too if you want?!?!

I agree; the BLRO has always looked more purple/pink than blue/red to me too. That’s why I would have preferred to see a coke bezel with the colour as defined as on an aluminium bezel.

Again, it wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me either but I’m not on any lists and quite happy with my 16710.

Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    Nice but I've never liked Jubilee bracelets...too much stretch over time and it can only take that bracelet. No Oyster which is a pity which would make a proper "tool watch" to quote the "bored" lady in video.
    It is likely to cost best part of £8k (8,800sF =£6,500 plus VAT=£7,800).
    Modern Jubilee bracelets are solid links so don’t suffer the same stretch as the old ones used to. Of course there will be more stretch than an oyster due to there being more (smaller) links but I certainly wouldn’t be worried about it.

Economical movements are a given. "demand for luxury goods to tank" - that is not proven, but is just a perception/hope in this case. As someone that runs a business in this sector (Luxury goods/HNW) it's something I have seen up close for 12-13 years.

As for Rolex you seem to forget the clear market trajectory over many recent here.......how long ago was it that you could a) buy any Rolex Professional S/S watch out of the AD window display? b) How much did it cost? and c) Was a discount freely available on said product?

Even if the hallowed "waiting lists" are a figment of imagination that run to 20/50/100+?! people taking a watch like the GMT II Master Pepsi at £6,800 you can be assured that the AD's/Rolex will easily sell 2-4 units per year at full RRP and manage the supply through any economic downturn that may occur.

It's fine to hark back to times past (or cling onto the hope they return to your own benefit) but in this market what might have happened many years ago is not an automatic cycle to be repeated...which is kind of your assertion/hope.

Happy to be proven wrong and I'll take any bet on it too if you want?!?!
    I can assure you I'm not hoping the economy tanks so I have a chance to buy a Rolex which is what you seem to be inferring lol

The point is a general one and you need to make a distinction between HNW individuals (who will only moderately adjust their spending in a downturn) and the average chap who simply wants to buy a Rolex and who would never consider it if his job was in danger due to a recession.

Demand for Rolex stainless steel models is not currently coming from HNW individuals. The queue of people filling out forms outside Canary Wharf WOS yesterday was not HNW people. Without the demand coming from the majority of average WIS, luxury goods demand tanks.

And yes i would bet on it happening. The issue is one of timescales

Last edited by ataripower; 23rd March 2018 at 10:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    You are absolutely correct - the pepsi bezel is made by putting the blue part over the red part...the effect is that under UV light the blue turns red and in sun light it has quite strong purple hues...not sure about that!

There is a video by Revolution on YouTube about the Rolex BW releases, the presenters are a bit annoying, but it shows/describes the "bubblegum" effect clearly
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I agree; the BLRO has always looked more purple/pink than blue/red to me too. That’s why I would have preferred to see a coke bezel with the colour as defined as on an aluminium bezel.

Again, it wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me either but I’m not on any lists and quite happy with my 16710.

I've got a BLRO and yep, it really is more 'claret and blue' than red and blue.

Suits me down to the ground as a West Ham supporter though, COYI!!!!
    Last edited by spuds; 23rd March 2018 at 10:28. Reason: typo....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    I've got a BLRO and yep, it really is more 'claret and blue' than red and blue.

Suits me down to the ground as a West Ham supporter though, COYI!!!!
    Ooh, that could put a few people off! (I’m not into soccer btw)

Was trying to think of a more appropriate name than Pepsi... The Rolex ‘hammer’? Could be a good ribbing for an Arsenal supporter wearing one! Showing their true colours?

Be interesting if the sun light ever fades the ‘blue’ not sure ceramic does though?

Cool

I can assure you I'm not hoping the economy tanks so I have a chance to buy a Rolex which is what you seem to be inferring lol

The point is a general one and you need to make a distinction between HNW individuals (who will only moderately adjust their spending in a downturn) and the average chap who simply wants to buy a Rolex and who would never consider it if his job was in danger due to a recession.

Demand for Rolex stainless steel models is not currently coming from HNW individuals. The queue of people filling out forms outside Canary Wharf WOS yesterday was not HNW people. Without the demand coming from the majority of average WIS, luxury goods demand tanks.

And yes i would bet on it happening. The issue is one of timescales

Comedy gold there;

"average chap who simply wants to buy a Rolex" PMSL

Show me an "average chap" who wants/will/can afford/justify any new Rolex purchase for £7,000+ (or whatever) and I'll show you millions that don't even have a car worth that much and would never, ever entertain spending such a vast sum on any watch whatsoever.

We, as in watch fans, find ways to easily (in some cases) or with great hardship or financial savvy (again some cases) to purchase expensive watches that cost thousands of pounds to feed our hobby/interest. As for the people at WoS in Canary Wharf did you actually question (or know) their financial status to know what it was? I suspect not.

I did not actually say that HNW individuals (my point here was understanding the luxury goods market/s and any consumer that engages with it - HNW or otherwise) are driving this market at all but people with a) the disposable income b) with the means/access to funds or c) extending themselves with a credit facility to purchase are doing so (WIS or not).........which means there is a broad spectrum of people buying the watches in a number of different ways.

What I suspect you might be alluding to (perhaps?) is people buying these watches that cannot really afford them and selling for instant gain? And yes some of those buyers must be in the market but I'd wager to no great degree at all. And yes if there is a recession people will moderate their spending but if you want real evidence you need only look to the worst financial downturn in 100 years from 2008-2012/2013............factually speaking in that time the sales of Rolex watches (and whilst we are here, many other high level luxury brands as well - LV/Gucci/PP etc - did not "tank" at all) did not decline/waiting lists still existed/people paid list price for their watch........and that was even the case as Rolex reduced their number of franchises to weed out the ones not on side so to speak.

Either way if you really think these watches (S/S Professional Rolex) will be, as you asserted earlier, freely available/without any wait lists and discounted I will take any bet you care to make.

Quote me happy on the bet/timescales and you have a deal!!!!

Have a good weekend

Comedy gold there;

"average chap who simply wants to buy a Rolex" PMSL

Show me an "average chap" who wants/will/can afford/justify any new Rolex purchase for £7,000+ (or whatever) and I'll show you millions that don't even have a car worth that much and would never, ever entertain spending such a vast sum on any watch whatsoever.

We, as in watch fans, find ways to easily (in some cases) or with great hardship or financial savvy (again some cases) to purchase expensive watches that cost thousands of pounds to feed our hobby/interest. As for the people at WoS in Canary Wharf did you actually question (or know) their financial status to know what it was? I suspect not.

I did not actually say that HNW individuals (my point here was understanding the luxury goods market/s and any consumer that engages with it - HNW or otherwise) are driving this market at all but people with a) the disposable income b) with the means/access to funds or c) extending themselves with a credit facility to purchase are doing so (WIS or not).........which means there is a broad spectrum of people buying the watches in a number of different ways.

What I suspect you might be alluding to (perhaps?) is people buying these watches that cannot really afford them and selling for instant gain? And yes some of those buyers must be in the market but I'd wager to no great degree at all. And yes if there is a recession people will moderate their spending but if you want real evidence you need only look to the worst financial downturn in 100 years from 2008-2012/2013............factually speaking in that time the sales of Rolex watches (and whilst we are here, many other high level luxury brands as well - LV/Gucci/PP etc - did not "tank" at all) did not decline/waiting lists still existed/people paid list price for their watch........and that was even the case as Rolex reduced their number of franchises to weed out the ones not on side so to speak.

Either way if you really think these watches (S/S Professional Rolex) will be, as you asserted earlier, freely available/without any wait lists and discounted I will take any bet you care to make.

Quote me happy on the bet/timescales and you have a deal!!!!

Have a good weekend
    My car is worth half as much as my watch collection 😳

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    My car is worth half as much as my watch collection
    Thats loads. My car is worth about a 1/25 of mine!

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

And yes if there is a recession people will moderate their spending but if you want real evidence you need only look to the worst financial downturn in 100 years from 2008-2012/2013............factually speaking in that time the sales of Rolex watches (and whilst we are here, many other high level luxury brands as well - LV/Gucci/PP etc - did not "tank" at all) did not decline/waiting lists still existed/people paid list price for their watch........and that was even the case as Rolex reduced their number of franchises to weed out the ones not on side so to speak.
    Again not quite factually correct.

I had more disposable income then ever before during the financial crises from 2008-2013 because interest rates were rock bottom and I was lucky enough to have a job. It was not a true recession in historical terms for that reason and anyone who had a mortgage (that was not fixed high) would have been in the same position. Try looking at the statistics for the recession in the early 90's. Suspect you will get a different view

Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    I also just called another AD that I have purchased from, won’t even take my name down over the phone. I have to visit in person and they will look at my purchase history too. I live in Brussels right now so can’t visit the AD for another month.

I can see why people get frustrated when trying to become a customer, quite hostile if your new to Rolex watches.
    I think this behaviour is awful. As a new Rolex customer you're allowed to buy the watches in the window that don't sell very well but only people the AD deem worthy can have new or in demand models. Terrible, elitist behaviour. I know the topic has been done to death here and I'm bored of it too but it just winds me up.

I'd much prefer to buy from here.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Thats loads. My car is worth about a 1/25 of mine!

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
    I paid £650 for my car from SC and it came with half a tank of diesel! I've put ~20000 miles on it and it's cost me fuel, one bulb and a pair of tyres.

It leaves me with the dilemma now of buying either a Pelagos, a Sea Dweller (if I can find a dealer who'll sell me one) or waiting for the new Seamaster (on which they've put the date in the wrong place).

Master
    I bought two SS sport Rolex around 2010, give or take a bit. An LV sub and a DSSD. On each there was no wait and I got a discount from retail.
    Not being an economist I cannot comment upon any implications that may be drawn from this, if any.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Never jumped at the prospect of a new release before. Had a quick look at the Rolex site on Wednesday at around 1pm and saw the new GMT.

Gave my local AD a call and was asked if I had purchased Rolex from them before and as others have said nothing happening over the phone.

I nipped in and was asked when and what Rolex I had purchased from them. I was then offered a card to complete with my details, that was taken into the back office.

Am I on the list, no idea! Do I expect to be in receipt of said watch at some point this year. No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smile

Again not quite factually correct.

I had more disposable income then ever before during the financial crises from 2008-2013 because interest rates were rock bottom and I was lucky enough to have a job. It was not a true recession in historical terms for that reason and anyone who had a mortgage (that was not fixed high) would have been in the same position. Try looking at the statistics for the recession in the early 90's. Suspect you will get a different view

Nice body swerve there.........sure, 2008-2012/3 was a cake walk and was not a recession at all......interest rates are not the only factor in any study of an economic period....

So, moving on...your bet, the specific terms and the stated timescales please. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I think this behaviour is awful. As a new Rolex customer you're allowed to buy the watches in the window that don't sell very well but only people the AD deem worthy can have new or in demand models. Terrible, elitist behaviour. I know the topic has been done to death here and I'm bored of it too but it just winds me up..
    I do like Rolex and am lucky enough to have owned a few in the last couple years, but this behaviour of not being able to get on a list for whatever reason or being able to buy because they just never become available at rrp to mortals, is starting to switch me off from the brand i hate to say. Maybe keeping the warranty card and papers for the whole warranty period and you have to notify the holding AD of a change of ownership might deter the people who buy to sell at a profit because of any old excuse that its not for them, but market fprces prevail so its 3k more than i paid scenario.
    Its just so disheartening and frustrating.

I can't see how this is the ADs fault. They're swamped with demand, they've a pitiful supply, and they're not allowed to vary the price.

Imagine you've been a loyal customer with them for years, and you go in to enquire about the new steel Scout Master II, and the manager says, "oh yeah we had one of those, but we sold it to this bloke who just happened to be passing when we put it in the window."

I think the strength of the feelings you would have then would eclipse the complaints seen on threads like these.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I can't see how this is the ADs fault. They're swamped with demand, they've a pitiful supply, and they're not allowed to vary the price.

Imagine you've been a loyal customer with them for years, and you go in to enquire about the new steel Scout Master II, and the manager says, "oh yeah we had one of those, but we sold it to this bloke who just happened to be passing when we put it in the window."

I think the strength of the feelings you would have then would eclipse the complaints seen on threads like these.
    Sorry but I disagree. Why shouldn’t the other guy be able to buy it? He’s got every right to buy it surely?

It’s not a loyalty scheme.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Sorry but I disagree. Why shouldn’t the other guy be able to buy it? He’s got every right to buy it surely?

Evidence points to the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Evidence points to the contrary.
    It does, doesn’t it. I should have said that it shouldn’t be a loyalty scheme but it is, although you can only collect the stamps if you’re already in the scheme!

Master
    Blog Entries
    ADs and everyone else could save a whole lot of hassle by not maintaining lists.

Then, when new stock arrives put it in the window and let the first punter who sees it buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    ADs and everyone else could save a whole lot of hassle by not maintaining lists.

Then, when new stock arrives put it in the window and let the first punter who sees it buy it.
    Thats exactly right, they would still sell within a couple days for rrp, and they would get loads more footfall and maybe sales of other watches.

The cost of hiring extra security for the stampede would probably be prohibitive

Master

I can’t agree with that. They are a business and will look after their regular customers first so in a way it is a loyalty thing. They would far rather sell to a long standing client who they know will wear and enjoy the watch than some random buyer who could be flipping it for all they know.