closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Burgled last night

Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post
    That call is very much appreciated and you have my thanks, and just another example of why this place is more than just any forum.

Its not necessary though, I have enough from the insurance to replace what I need for now as many of the tools were purchsed for specific jobs that I may not need for a while.
    And I have decided to take some of the bike loss onthe chin, ride my bitsa gravel more and just build myself something from left over parts, some new stuff and just ride it...rather than building garage queens I am too frightened to ride incase I scratch and scuff them.

Hopefully any used bitsa bikes I then own will have no real attraction to the thieves....

I have learnt many lessons from this theft and the financial loss is secondary to what I have decided I can take from it.
    That said I will be sending a letter to the Area Ploice commissioner stating my disappointment that the theft of nearly £15000 worth of my possessions did not warrant a visit from them.
    Especially as they would appear to (have) been much evidence in the form of foot and finger prints.
    I do wonder what criteria plod uses when evaluating what crimes to apportion resources too, it doesn't make much sense to me fwiw. Makes me question what the hell we're paying for sometimes.

Anyway, best of luck.

Master
    We had police on the night of our burglary, then forensics the next day and a community police officer visit a few days later. All good on that front but within a week a letter in effect closing the case was delivered. I guess that then signs it off in a stats sense.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Really sorry to hear this Keith. What a pisser

Craftsman
    Sorry to hear that Keith, it does show the value of insurance, something that I stupidly did not have until few weeks ago.

Just seen this after reading your sales thread.

Absolutely gutted for you.

I have had to increase security due to a spate of thefts in the area of bikes and tools, I found signs we had been marked as a target as well. Can not go in to details.

Hope you can replace your tools.

Take care.

I will be able to replace tools with the amount the insurance did pay out, and forgo the expensive bikes, which i wasn't really riding anyway.

Security has been increased, though i am somewhat annoyed that the landlady has not deemed it neccessary to contact her insurance to replace the window, though i have secured it.

The police sent me an email on Tuesday stating that they would request a press release in the local paper, this they stated would be their last best hope!!

Bearing in mind they deemed it unnecessary to even investigate the scene etc, i found that comment a little annoying.

Anyway, a peice did appear on the Gazatte and Herald website, in which they had managed to get numerous details wrong.

Not much hope of recovering my stuff .....is there!

Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post
    I will be able to replace tools with the amount the insurance did pay out, and forgo the expensive bikes, which i wasn't really riding anyway.

Security has been increased, though i am somewhat annoyed that the landlady has not deemed it neccessary to contact her insurance to replace the window, though i have secured it.

The police sent me an email on Tuesday stating that they would request a press release in the local paper, this they stated would be their last best hope!!

Bearing in mind they deemed it unnecessary to even investigate the scene etc, i found that comment a little annoying.

Anyway, a peice did appear on the Gazatte and Herald website, in which they had managed to get numerous details wrong.

Not much hope of recovering my stuff .....is there!
    Can understand why you'd be annoyed by the comment re the local press being the last best hope, laughable as you say under the circumstances.

Got the following email from the Police.

Good morning Mr Tilley,

I regret to inform you that your Burglary between 20th March and 21st March 2018 where your Garage was broken in to, will be marked as Undetected.
    A Press release has been submitted and should any further enquiries come to light following the release, this will be reopened.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
    Regards.

Should that not read notdetected, or nondetected, or couldnotbebotheredtodoanydetecting.

Just need to deal with my kids hiding their stuff now, so the Burglars can't find it, and a wife who is up at every noise during the night......sigh!
    Not the Polices fault I know, but I suspect that had they shown some interest and attended it might have helped a little.

Craftsman
    Hate reading post like this!! Hard working people just trying to make a living and scum think they can just come and take it!!

Look at this link:
    http://www.cna-electronics.co.uk/sec...ducts-52-c.asp
    Not expensive bits of kit and works, seen it in action and watched the scum bags jump out of there skin! Off like a shot

Best security advise I could give you pal is perimeter security, stop them getting near, nevermind in!!
    Hope all works out and all the best.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Was woken this morning at 03:50 by a text alert from the YI home camera which sits in my study window that covers the front door & drive. Thought nothing of it as the cats will sometime set it off, however I could hear something on the gravel drive adjacent and then a second alert went off 15 minutes later. On checking the phone, a character had been checking both mine & the neighbours garages. In the last bit of video footage he walked right up to the window where the camera sits and then beats a speedy retreat as he spots it. I have clear footage of his face, which I have forwarded to the Basingstoke police. I think after I turned a few lights on he bailed out of the area as I last saw him leaving via the footpath that runs to the rear of my property.
    What gets me is that my neighbours flood lights kick in, but he just totally carries on his business in checking car & garage doors.
    All neighbours are warned & I have beefed up my security further. I doubt he will be back as I know that he knows he is on camera.

Quote Originally Posted by baz1 View Post
    Was woken this morning at 03:50 by a text alert from the YI home camera which sits in my study window that covers the front door & drive. Thought nothing of it as the cats will sometime set it off, however I could hear something on the gravel drive adjacent and then a second alert went off 15 minutes later. On checking the phone, a character had been checking both mine & the neighbours garages. In the last bit of video footage he walked right up to the window where the camera sits and then beats a speedy retreat as he spots it. I have clear footage of his face, which I have forwarded to the Basingstoke police. I think after I turned a few lights on he bailed out of the area as I last saw him leaving via the footpath that runs to the rear of my property.
    What gets me is that my neighbours flood lights kick in, but he just totally carries on his business in checking car & garage doors.
    All neighbours are warned & I have beefed up my security further. I doubt he will be back as I know that he knows he is on camera.
    Be interesting to hear what Basingstoke police say or do about the footage you provided, well done on that score by the way.

Grand Master
    About a decade ago we were burgled 3 times in a year, first one got both my custom mountain bikes (over 10k), second they just destroyed the kitchen windows and back doors, third they did the same and the garage door. The police weren't that interested, forensics came around on the first one, but were away within 10 minutes, could never watch CSI in the same way after that!

The sad thing is that burglary is seen as a victimless crime these days, you read about people being sentenced to 3 months for dozens of burglaries, so it's not exactly a problem in terms of being caught for them either.

Craftsman
    Sorry to hear this. My garage was broken into a few nights ago too. They’d cut through the padlock but were either disturbed or gave up trying to liberate my bike (which was secured to a very heavy workbench). The bike clamp is extremely sturdy and has some fairly superficial cut marks. Not much of value in there and bike now moved into the house but it shakes one up. I’m definitely beefing up security and will probably have a proper alarm system installed. I’ve currently got a DIY wireless set-up in the house but no external bell box or link to the external garage. I think I’ll go fully wired...

Again, sorry to hear your news.

sorry to hear about the thefts - last summer my bike was taken from my garage - I had been working evenings and took the car instead that day - I'd left the bike on one chain only usually have Dlock and two chains round mine and the kids bikes.
    the scaffolders had just taken down the scaffolding that evening too from a nearby wall - too easy to cut and pop in the back of the van.

By coincidence a week later I saw my bike for sale - a guy who bought it off the scaffolder decided to sell it on already but put it for sale near where I pass by on my way home.... So after a quick consultation with the Fuzz they allowed me to cut the chain and take it.

Was it worth it to the scaffolder? I dunno - I complained to the company and the guy who bought it off the scaffolder supplied full details of the guy who sold him my stolen bike as he was out of pocket now.... guys probably lost his job and I got my bike back.
    which was not worth that much in the end < £200 maybe...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Be interesting to hear what Basingstoke police say or do about the footage you provided, well done on that score by the way.
    The Police contacted me today. The seem to recognise the character involved and are collecting evidence concerning a range of burglaries/ vehicle offences. They want the original footage and a statement.

Craftsman
    Gutting, sorry to hear this.

Installed CCTV around our house, not sure if this even bothers burglars now days though?

Craftsman
    “Which?” had a chat with a few reformed burglars a while back and although CCTV was seen as a deterrent, some reckoned they could avoid being seen. External alarm boxes were seen as more worrisome. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk