closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burgled last night

Burgled last night

Just been out to the garage to get some screen wash for my Wifes car and discovered I have been burgled overnight.

Haven't had a proper look as I am so upset and angry, but looks like its a targeted theft on my bikes..

Definately gone is the following...

2016 Marin Riftzone 9
    2018 Rondo Ruut CF2
    2016 Pivot Cycles frameset.

The 2 full bikes have custom perts, upgrades so will be hard to shift as whole and will be broken down I expect.

Its been a long long time since anything like this has happened and I am gutted.

At least one was saved as I had it in the Conservatory doing some work...

Police have been notified, and I am just about to call my insurerers..

I'm really sorry to read this. It's a sickening feeling to discover you've been burgled. I hope the police track down the culprits and you bikes really quickly.

Journeyman
    It is sickening, especially when you have specced them to suit yourself and they are not 'just' off the shelf.

I got burgled twice in a week once, the visiting officer asked me why i was shocked as 'the kids are off school, it is what they do' - unbelievable! - started leaving a radio on after that, did get someone paying a visit but the noise deterred them.

Sorry mate, I hope they catch the scum.

Urgh, horrid. Feel your pain - it's not so much the material loss but the feeling of being violated that's the worst.

We were burgled while asleep in bed upstairs (they were literally in the room below my bedroom) when I was 16 years old... It's made me hyper sensitive to anything like this. I've not slept properly ever since. There's no length I won't go to to secure my property - swear I'd get a shotgun and put up some signs written in blood if it were acceptable in this country.

Craftsman
    Worth keeping an eye on eBay & the likes. A friend had his Scott taken from his garage on a Sunday night & the bike was listed for sale the Friday before, not the greatest defence.
    Hope you get lucky & they don't

^^this

I once had a bike and some other bits stolen and got the bike back when it was advertised in Loot.

eBay, Friday Ad, Shpock and Gumtree are all worth watching. I’d be surprised if the thief is switched on enough to know that they’re not standard so I wouldn’t expect them to be broken as it’s more work for them and more stuff to sell. Obviously this is advantageous for you in identifying your bikes and catching the thieving scumbags.

That's a horrible thing to happen, I hope the police are interested, my garages and sheds are on the house alarm, hopefully your insurance company make things easy.

Sorry to hear that Keith...... bas*@!ds.

That is blooming horrible Keith ! I hope they catch the thieving gits and perhaps get some of your stuff back !
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Master
    This happened twice to us. Our garage isn't really overlooked from our house or the neighbour's so makes it an easy target.
    I fitted a security camera overlooking it and put a warning sticker on the door. Never had an issue since, despite a couple of occasions when other garages in the road were targeted.

Just been in to have a better look.

They have left my bista gravel bike, my wifes Specialized Hy-brid, and both the kids bikes.

Lots of the build parts for the Pivot Mach 4 have gone, the Revelations....the Dropper post, my handbuilt Spank wheels.
    These will be hard to shift as they are pretty unique.

Also, they have taken all my tools, mainly Milwaukee 12v and 18v cordless stuff, all 3 of my tool bags and I have no real idea what was actually in them 100%

So I am basically unable to do any work now as well.....my day gets worse.

I will post up on Single track what bie stuff has gone and keep my eye open on the various sales sites.

Really sorry to read this. My beloved and trusty steed is a 2006 Rift Zone, love it. Hope you can track these down.

Craftsman
    So sorry to hear that Keith.

I had issues where my outdoor shed was broken into where I store my bikes. I lived in a terrace and the wife understandably refused to have them inside.

One of the things I've heard is that the scum wait for you to replace the stolen items and then break in again. I got one of these:

https://securityforbikes.com/shed-shackle.php

They broke in but my bikes were left second time.

Craftsman
    Heart felt commiserations Keith. Horrible thing to do to someone. Sounds like they must have a had a vehicle ready to load up.

We had a very similar thing happen to us a few weeks back. They got in the garage and took 4 high end custom bikes that I had built up from scratch. Seems they didn't even look under the dust cover of my little racing car that shares the garage luckily.

I have since added 4 long throw bolts to the garage door and reinforced the whole frame.

Only blessing in the whole ordeal was the insurance company. I simply filled out a spreadsheet for each build. Detailing every component and it's cost. They then offered to replace with similar value off the shelf bikes to each total build, vouchers for the full value to spend at a large online bikeshop (Wheelies). Or a cash settlement of about 80% or so of their value.
    I was not expecting this as we have a fairly basic policy.

I also checked the usual places to see if they came up for sale but nothing turned up. Haven't heard back from CID since their initial visit and press release.

Hope your day gets better now, but it's the phone calls and work involved in sorting it all out that the low life perpetrators don't even consider leaving behind in their mindless wake.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Terrible news. Might be worth posting any photos of the bikes you have.
    If not, where in the country you are so we can all keep an eye out. You never know...

Just had a call from the Police, SOCO will not attend garage burglaries though a Policeman might call.

Did a basic tot up of my tools and that over £2500 just for the ones i can remember...some hand tools etc I have had for decades.

Think my outbuilding cover is max £7500 so I am probably going to be at a loss.....

Now SOCO are not coming I am off to have a proper look and take some pics!

My week is getting worse, some git decided to smash into my wifes parked car at the Supermarker carpark on Sunday and just drive off.
    Last edited by keitht; 21st March 2018 at 11:22.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I feel for you it’s so unpleasant,these lowlifes don’t care the damage they do.

Sorry to hear mate

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very sorry to hear about your burglary and you wife's car damage Keith. Hope all get sorted OK

ATB

Jon

Master
    Thats horrible news, very sorry to hear that.

A friend of mine was woken one night to a noise downstairs, upon investigation, he found a guy looking through the sideboard in his hall. He beat the guy to a semi unconscious state and called the police.

When they arrived he expressed his concern that his rage will have got him into bother. The cop told him that because the burglar was found lying on his stairs and not on the ground floor, he was classed as a threat to life as he was OBVIOUSLY making his way upstairs.

Lesson learned... beat burglars up, but drag them on to your stairs, before you call the Police.

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear that, 3 guys tried to break into my garage recently. It's really annoying that these people are about.

So sorry to hear this Keith, hope you get your bikes back.

It's an awful thing to happen to anyone.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by EchoSevenNine View Post

A friend of mine was woken one night to a noise downstairs, upon investigation, he found a guy looking through the sideboard in his hall. He beat the guy to a semi unconscious state and called the police.

When they arrived he expressed his concern that his rage will have got him into bother. The cop told him that because the burglar was found lying on his stairs and not on the ground floor, he was classed as a threat to life as he was OBVIOUSLY making his way upstairs.

Lesson learned... beat burglars up, but drag them on to your stairs, before you call the Police.

Good to know.

Well done to your friend for the righteous smiting.

Sorry for your troubles OP, pretty pants response from ploddy, as usual, hope your insurers at least do right by you.

Master

I've heard this before, I thought it was a myth.

Hope not to be in that situation ever but good to know

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Just had it confirmed from the insurers, limit because its an outbuilding is £7500 and my tools, as they are part of my business are not covered.

So as the bikes and parts come to around £10000 I am somewhat undercovered.

Stupidly i just made an assumption my contents cover included everything, not reading the full terms and conditions is going to prove to be an expensive lesson.

I am hoping my tradesman insurance will cover my tools in the garage, as I know it will not allow me to leave them in my van overnight.

Sigh....

Master
    My personal view is that burglars are scum of the earth and on conviction should be dropped into a vat of smouldering acid until they are no more, but that is just wishful thinking.

I have quite a few friends in the Police and their advice on catching a burglar is always the same. Just control the natural urge to hit them, because if you do you will have a load of hassle on your hands for several months, enough to give you many sleepless nights. The best bet is to shout as loud as you can, screaming to the wife " RING THE POLICE RIGHT NOW WE HAVE A BURGLAR IN THE HOUSE. 99 times out of 100 they will run as fast as their feet can carry them and you should have fingerprints to catch them.

Next step is to step up security. No one likes their house being like Fort Knox but you soon get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post
    Just had it confirmed from the insurers, limit because its an outbuilding is £7500 and my tools, as they are part of my business are not covered.

So as the bikes and parts come to around £10000 I am somewhat undercovered.

Stupidly i just made an assumption my contents cover included everything, not reading the full terms and conditions is going to prove to be an expensive lesson.

I am hoping my tradesman insurance will cover my tools in the garage, as I know it will not allow me to leave them in my van overnight.

Sigh....
    This is one of the reasons I moved from Hiscox to NFU, Hiscox only really insured the bikes to their full value provided they were in the house as they limit out buildings cover, NFU allow you to insure the contents of garages and sheds properly.

Sorry to hear this, Keith. F*****g scum of the earth. We've been done twice in the past.

Time heals but you never forget.

Master
    Keith sorry to hear this, I know you had some nice bikes in there!

As others have said keep any eye on the usual places, Friday adds, eBay, gumtree but also the local Facebook selling groups.

Also as I’m sure you are aware time to beef up the security as the scrotes will know you’ll have an insurance claim and there will be new tools and bikes soon. Arlo cameras and a cheaper wireless alarm with a sounder in the house would be a good start!

Hope the insurance doen’t Leave you too out of pocket.

Gutted for you mate.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Very sorry to hear this. Scumbags.

Master

Thumbs up

Hard to stomach when the insurance won't cough up either. Bad times

Blog Entries
    Disgusting . Can’t have anything or own anything these days in the UK without someone stealing it . I don’t think cctv even deters those who are hell bent on getting what they want . Hope they end up doing time for it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear this mate

Could have been worse. You have your health. Expensive as they are, tools and bikes can be replaced

Nightmare..so sorry to hear mate...as mentioned above as long as you and the family are all ok all the financial side will get sorted...so hope the toerags get caught

Craftsman
    Sorry to hear this, hopefully theres not too much hassel with the insurance and that funny sense of 'violation' doesnt hang around too long.

Master
    Hope you get things squared away quickly, and as has been said, the feeling of violation goes away quickly.

I've lived in a distinctly average area of the city for four years now and after a trouble free three years, last year I had my car done in - and then more un-nervingly, they tried to get into my garage in BROAD DAYLIGHT, the brazen sons of bitches. Me and the missus sat watching TV and just saw three hooded scumbags trying to smash my garage door. As soon as we stood up and they saw us, they bolted and thankfully they never got in, but I saw over christmas someone had tried again but failed.

Police, well, not much they can do but all they did was record the crime in every case. Unfortunately the feeling of violation hasn't entirely left for me and where I used to quite enjoy an afternoon tinkering with my car at the back of the house, now I simply don't want to go down there at all and am actually kind of afraid to venture round there now :( Don't think that feeling will change any time soon.

This is what missing tool wise, in case a large amout of Milwaukee suddely appears on the internet for sale.

I expect I shall continue to realise stuff is missing as I have the need for it, and it will take me a while to replace it all.

12v Milwaukee Drill/Driver 4 in 1 in case with charger and 2 x batteries
    18v Milwaukee Fuel Hammer Drill in case with 2 x batteries
    12v Milwaukee Jigsaw

12v Milwaukee Fuel Circular saw in case plus battery.
    12v Milwaukee Caulking applicator

12v Milwaukee Multi tool plus battery
    12v Milwaukee Vacuum

240v Milwaukee SDS Hammer drill
    240v Hitachi 4" Hitachi grinder + tin of Bosch discs
    240V Metabo orbital sander plus quantity of discs

1 small Milwalkee holdall containing various knives, pencils, drill bit etc..
    1 Medium Milwaukee holdall containing various hand tools, hammers, saws, drill bits etc
    1 large Milwaukee holdall containing various tools, spirit level, set sqaure, jigsaw blades, augers, SDS drills etc
    1 large Milwaukee tool box containing various tools, drills, drill bits, blades, screwdrivers etc etc...
    Halfords professional socket set 48 pcs (I think) in case
    Soldering station
    Large metal case of assorted Riesser screws
    Tacwise Ranger 40 18v Nailer + extra battery
    Ctek D250sa dc to dc battery charger boxed

And whilst no one was hurt psyhically, the mental and emotional hurt can still be devastating. Not neccessarily to me, but my Wife and 9yro are taking it pretty badly.
    And it doesnt help that I am going to be hugely disadvantaged at trying to earn a living over the next few weeks.

I reckon, provding the insurers agree to pay the max for the bikes, that as the tools were not insured I will be about £5000 out of pocket.
    Time to get better security and specific insurance in place....

Journeyman
    This is what missing tool wise, in case a large amout of Milwaukee suddely appears on the internet for sale.

I expect I shall continue to realise stuff is missing as I have the need for it, and it will take me a while to replace it all.

12v Milwaukee Drill/Driver 4 in 1 in case with charger and 2 x batteries
    18v Milwaukee Fuel Hammer Drill in case with 2 x batteries
    12v Milwaukee Jigsaw

12v Milwaukee Fuel Circular saw in case plus battery.
    12v Milwaukee Caulking applicator

12v Milwaukee Multi tool plus battery
    12v Milwaukee Vacuum

240v Milwaukee SDS Hammer drill
    240v Hitachi 4" Hitachi grinder + tin of Bosch discs
    240V Metabo orbital sander plus quantity of discs

1 small Milwalkee holdall containing various knives, pencils, drill bit etc..
    1 Medium Milwaukee holdall containing various hand tools, hammers, saws, drill bits etc
    1 large Milwaukee holdall containing various tools, spirit level, set sqaure, jigsaw blades, augers, SDS drills etc
    1 large Milwaukee tool box containing various tools, drills, drill bits, blades, screwdrivers etc etc...
    Halfords professional socket set 48 pcs (I think) in case
    Soldering station
    Large metal case of assorted Riesser screws
    Tacwise Ranger 40 18v Nailer + extra battery
    Ctek D250sa dc to dc battery charger boxed

And whilst no one was hurt psyhically, the mental and emotional hurt can still be devastating. Not neccessarily to me, but my Wife and 9yro are taking it pretty badly.
    And it doesnt help that I am going to be hugely disadvantaged at trying to earn a living over the next few weeks.

I reckon, provding the insurers agree to pay the max for the bikes, that as the tools were not insured I will be about £5000 out of pocket.
    Time to get better security and specific insurance in place....

If you registered those tools for warranty etc you may be able to retrieve your serial numbers in case you come across any for sale online/local pawn shops etc....

(Interestingly we use Festool at work and with the provision of a police crime number they offer a £100 replace the tool service - might be worth thinking about these if you move away from Milwaukee? https://www.festool.co.uk/service/se...eft-protection)

PS - newer Milwaukee kit does this: https://www2.milwaukeetool.com/onekey
    Last edited by ggmiller; 21st March 2018 at 16:54.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had your pain 18 months ago and it hit hard. My son lost 2 motorbikes and a custom MTB too as well as full Royal Navy uniform and a Breathing watch we gave him as a 18th. lots of tools and wheels taken. B A S T A R D S and their time will come, trust me.

Have you got pics for circulation given the bikes were limited editions/unique.

and my advice on policing investigation is DO YOUR OWN!! Check local CCTV in service stations, banks inc cash machines, neighbours, public buildings, taxi companies that use the route and folk that may have dash cams In cars that are running. Do you know the way they entered the garden if so check for foot prints, ripped clothing and and damage/scratches to walls and shrubbery. Was it daytime or night time? Dogs in the area that were barking unusually?? Ask your cops if anyone else known to them was locked up in another Borough or Division recently - yes thats right they don't always share their intel!!!!

Just been in to have a better look.

They have left my bista gravel bike, my wifes Specialized Hy-brid, and both the kids bikes.

Lots of the build parts for the Pivot Mach 4 have gone, the Revelations....the Dropper post, my handbuilt Spank wheels.
    These will be hard to shift as they are pretty unique.

Also, they have taken all my tools, mainly Milwaukee 12v and 18v cordless stuff, all 3 of my tool bags and I have no real idea what was actually in them 100%

So I am basically unable to do any work now as well.....my day gets worse.

I will post up on Single track what bie stuff has gone and keep my eye open on the various sales sites.

Master
    Sorry to read this Keith.

Master

Worth knowing!

They really are the lowest of the low and it’s depressing how trivially the “justice” system treats burglary.

Master
    Sorry to hear about this Keith, not what anyone needs. I'll keep an eye out on the local stuff just in case. David

Master
    Keith where are you based and what do you do?

Maybe members on the area can push work your way?

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Keith where are you based and what do you do?

Maybe members on the area can push work your way?

Wiltshire.

I am basically a handyman, I do all those little jobs none of the tradesman want to do or want to charge hundreds for.
    Amongst repairing watches, building bikes, vans etc.
    Unfortunately due to a steady deterioration in my manual dexterity I am starting to struggle to do the finer things, and will eventually probably only to be able to handle gaint jenga bricks.

I had decided last week to take on less intricate stuff and start doing more maintainance work due to this, so what a time to lose all my tools.

At least they left the kids bikes, scooters etc...probably some attempt to be considerate!!!
    I had recently ordered the kids some new bikes, but these have not been delivered yet thankfully.
    Once I have prchased soe new tools I shall be fortifying the garage and surrounding area, and increasing my insurance cover.

Craftsman
    Keith, there's a possibility that your stuff may end up in Cash Converters type shops in your locality. It's certainly worth putting the feelers out or have a look online and see if any similar stuff becomes available. Burglars often sell their stuff on to a fence who will then look to get rid of them through legit channels as soon as possible. If you do have serial nos then let your local plod know to add to the report. It's a shame that they are not deploying a crime scene examiner as most burglaries are detected through forensic capture.

Sorry to hear this Keith. Hope you get them back and that the scum that took them are caught and punished.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Keith

What tools do you need and could they be sent to you?

C’mon folks. Let’s help get this good guy back up again and help him. It’s the least we can do. We did it for dog lover quite rightly so let’s get ourselves into gear for Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Keith

What tools do you need and could they be sent to you?

C’mon folks. Let’s help get this good guy back up again and help him. It’s the least we can do. We did it for dog lover quite rightly so let’s get ourselves into gear for Keith.

That call is very much appreciated and you have my thanks, and just another example of why this place is more than just any forum.

Its not necessary though, I have enough from the insurance to replace what I need for now as many of the tools were purchsed for specific jobs that I may not need for a while.
    And I have decided to take some of the bike loss onthe chin, ride my bitsa gravel more and just build myself something from left over parts, some new stuff and just ride it...rather than building garage queens I am too frightened to ride incase I scratch and scuff them.

Hopefully any used bitsa bikes I then own will have no real attraction to the thieves....

I have learnt many lessons from this theft and the financial loss is secondary to what I have decided I can take from it.
    That said I will be sending a letter to the Area Ploice commissioner stating my disappointment that the theft of nearly £15000 worth of my possessions did not warrant a visit from them.
    Especially as they would appear to (have) been much evidence in the form of foot and finger prints.