closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pictures from Baselworld

Pictures from Baselworld

So the SLA025 is 45mm?

Deal breaker for us small wristed folk. Shame that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by waser; 22nd March 2018 at 13:20.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
    It's a bit weird that they haven't addressed the thickness issue given that they have released the new 6L35 Presages at <10mm thickness
    Your quoted reply was in relation to the Guinand, not the Seiko Presages.
    Aside from good photos on Hodinkee for the Grand Seikos, this has to be the most impressive report so far… http://www.watchprosite.com/page-wf....open_bLoB_s-0/

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    This is a pretty good looking effort from Guinand

40.6mm diameter, 7753 powered, 200m WR with bi-directional bezel and classic reverse panda good looks with a hint of CP-2/Bund numeration (no nibbles) and no date, I think this is a very welcome return to traditional design for them.
    And at €1865 it is very good value.

Dave
    Why has the 4 been squashed? What did it ever do to hurt anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
    Agreed, the list on the 1968 reissue is £5,000 but that is a hi-beat

This Green MM300 is an odd one; £2,900 is too much but since they're only making 1968, I suspect you'll struggle to get one for much less than £2,500. Bit like the blue faced ones (which are not nearly as nice as the green one), which never seem to be available for less than about £2,600.

Dunno; I won't be getting one but I might pop into the boutique when they have one to have a look
    It's a safe bet really i think but i'd be buying to keep anyway. Wish it was a normal production watch.

The MM300 is one of my favourite watches ever.

Master

Pictures from Baselworld

Mixed feelings about the Tudor gmt. I see value but doesn’t tug at the heart strings. I think they could have done better than just combining regular black bay with rolexy gmt. Can’t they have made it a bit more distinctive?? In summary feels lazy.

Looks like a Kickstarter watch

I'm loving this dial and case back combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Considering how some of them literally copied details from Zeniths, that's not surprising. Similarly, the new Tudor GMT looks like a Rolex homage.

Craftsman
    I love seiko but am getting really sick of these 44mm releases.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post

Waiting to see how thick these Seamasters are with the new movement and the glass caseback. One thing I love about my old 2255 is the case dimensions, the SMPc was already moving in the wrong direction and worry these will be even thicker. I do like the look of them though from the pictures I’ve seen, especially the grey dial - though I thought that about last years AT and didn’t like them when I actually handled them.

Like the BB GMT though I think a very pale silver dial would make an interesting variation... And have me queuing for one.

Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    Not sure what is going on with Longines... their website has all the novelties for 2018, but seem to fail to mention the the LLD is now in 36mm posted on Hodinkee (maybe because its core collection?)

But no sign of this that Jon Bues posted which is lovely.

Yes please. That is a properly lovely looking thing.

Craftsman
    The LE SJE073J1 looks like the SARX055 JDM watch, which I really like, but it was already overpriced because of the Ti. Now it's SS (slimmer though) and will cost almost double (2200 EUR)... Why?

https://www.seikowatches.com/global-...esage/SJE073J1

Master

Pictures from Baselworld

A strange situation at Seiko where the Presage solves the thickness issue with a new caliber that makes it under 10mm, while the GS autos remain in 13mm territory. The cheaper watch will most likely wear better than some top of the range GS.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/se...in-introducing

Meanwhile that Zenith Defy wrist shot is a bit of a downer, it looks so much cruder than in the official photos. Hoping it’s just a bad shot, but feeling less optimistic on this one now.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Considering how some of them literally copied details from Zeniths, that's not surprising. Similarly, the new Tudor GMT looks like a Rolex homage.
    Maybe the intention was simply to offer two different GMT price points from the same stable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Your quoted reply was in relation to the Guinand, not the Seiko Presages.
    Aside from good photos on Hodinkee for the Grand Seikos, this has to be the most impressive report so far… http://www.watchprosite.com/page-wf....open_bLoB_s-0/
    My mistake. Chronos often are on the thick side

I do wonder if the tactic from Tudor is to be the gateway drug for Rolex.

Pictures from Baselworld

Image1521725949.905482.jpg

Image1521725956.958303.jpg

EDIT: why are the photos so blurry? They’re phone screenshots so originally fine, and I’ve never had a problem uploading photos before.

A few more images of the very tasty SLA025/SBEX007.

and one of the movement:

It may be 'only a Seiko' but in the context of pricing of steel sports Rolexes, looks something of a bargain at 550,000 Yen.

Martin

p.s. Still too big though.
    Last edited by MartinCRC; 22nd March 2018 at 15:06.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vcarter View Post
    The LE SJE073J1 looks like the SARX055 JDM watch, which I really like, but it was already overpriced because of the Ti. Now it's SS (slimmer though) and will cost almost double (2200 EUR)... Why?

https://www.seikowatches.com/global-...esage/SJE073J1
    Seiko’s pricing in the export markets has been ambitious for the past 2 years now, since the introduction of the ceramic GS models.
    The price of this is not much different to the white enamel dials of the Presage 60th Anniversary models released last year, and the new calibre needs to recoup investment spend on its R&D.
    Being a limited edition and a model differentiator, the price also reflects that aspect.
    I’d be highly surprised if the typical purchase price was any more than 2K, if as much, even allowing for its LE status.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Maybe the intention was simply to offer two different GMT price points from the same stable.
    Sorry, my grammar was ambiguous, that's not at all the point I was trying to make - I was trying to say that to criticise Zenith for looking like Kickstarter watches that rip off Zenith designs is like criticising Tudors for looking like cheap homage watches that rip off Rolex.

Master
    And suddenly I don't like it any more. Looks weirdly flat and dare I say, cheap. The dial reminds me of a piece of crap Benarus dial I once had. Shame

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catflap View Post
    Waiting to see how thick these Seamasters are with the new movement and the glass caseback. One thing I love about my old 2255 is the case dimensions, the SMPc was already moving in the wrong direction and worry these will be even thicker. I do like the look of them though from the pictures I’ve seen, especially the grey dial - though I thought that about last years AT and didn’t like them when I actually handled them......
    For me, the original 2531.80 is still the best of the bunch, along with the 2254.50 of course. I'll be hanging onto both of mine.

Pictures from Baselworld

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    This - certainly not coincidental both launched pepsis yesterday. Ironically steinhart released a jubilee bracelet yesterday too

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post

EDIT: why are the photos so blurry? They’re phone screenshots so originally fine, and I’ve never had a problem uploading photos before.
    I really like the looks of those two! No info on their website?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Lordy. <3

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Seiko’s pricing in the export markets has been ambitious for the past 2 years now, since the introduction of the ceramic GS models.
    The price of this is not much different to the white enamel dials of the Presage 60th Anniversary models released last year, and the new calibre needs to recoup investment spend on its R&D.
    Being a limited edition and a model differentiator, the price also reflects that aspect.
    I’d be highly surprised if the typical purchase price was any more than 2K, if as much, even allowing for its LE status.
    Too ambitious I'd say. I'm curious about the specs of that new movement, but I'm a bit sceptic that it's that much better...

Wish that Ti Zenith Defy was 36000vph...

^^^ Ummm... no.

^^^ HELL YES!!!!

^^^ Interesting how the dial looks aged with spot marks.
    Last edited by OliverCD; 22nd March 2018 at 15:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post

Something to do with them being resized when they were hosted I think.

Master
    Perpetual not Annual so even more not cheap:

I’ve just phoned them about ze list I’m on it but for all the wrong reasons.

Tick yer boxes: gold case, gold bracelet, chronograph, perpetual calendar, interchangeable backs:

£147,570

Master

^^^ Interesting how the dial looks aged with spot marks.
    Amazing that we’ve now gone from reproducing the pleasantly creamy / tea colour of aged lume, to reproducing what is essentially mould on a dial. I guess a plain modern one just looked too clean, and yet...

I love the beautifully aged quality of some vintage watches, but trying to copy that in a new piece feels inauthentic and I could never take the watch quite as seriously. I suppose they will be able to do it increasingly convincingly in future if this trend continues, but the result will always be a reproduction in the end, not even a re-issue.

For those that don't look round the Timefactors sub forum, this is basically the watch I keep suggesting Eddie should remake in 36mm (PRS29a case) – as we know he'd do it right.

If only...

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post

I really struggle to like anything Omega do, but i like that on rubber a lot, expect it will be expensive though.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I suspect that's the closest most of us will get to one.

Master
    Has anyone found "in the metal" photos of the new 114300 Oyster Perpetual 39 dials? They're being very coy.

The 43mm Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe 70's limited edition of 500.

More photo's of the Omega Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon Apollo 8.

B&R Racing Bird Collection.

B&R Bronze diver.

Last edited by j111dja; 22nd March 2018 at 17:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Amazing that we’ve now gone from reproducing the pleasantly creamy / tea colour of aged lume, to reproducing what is essentially mould on a dial. I guess a plain modern one just looked too clean, and yet...

I love the beautifully aged quality of some vintage watches, but trying to copy that in a new piece feels inauthentic and I could never take the watch quite as seriously. I suppose they will be able to do it increasingly convincingly in future if this trend continues, but the result will always be a reproduction in the end, not even a re-issue.
    I’d rather the reproduction was minty then could age gracefully - it’s like that thing ch Ward have offered last month... pre patina’d (is that a word) bronze.

I'd go for it if was minimum 39mm. I appreciate the originals were tiny tiny 34/35mm, but tastes have changed, and I wouldnt want have to hold the thing up to my face and peer at a tiny watch to see the time..

Craftsman

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post

Lordy. <3
    Looks nice! Which Apple Watch dial is it?... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    Has anyone found "in the metal" photos of the new 114300 Oyster Perpetual 39 dials? They're being very coy.

Found these...

They say 39mm, but double indices suggest its a 36mm. Also the 3-6-9 indices are larger on the other model, and from the stock mock ups they all look equal.

Last edited by OliverCD; 22nd March 2018 at 18:16.

Master
    Found these...

They say 39mm, but double indices suggest its a 36mm. Also the 3-6-9 indices are larger on the other model, and from the stock mock ups they all look equal.
    Thanks - that second one is definitely a 36 but you're right there's something not right about the first one. I do hope the website photos (renders?) are correct and they are all equal - it's an improvement over the existing design I think.

Perhaps photos will begin to trickle out now the GMT hype is settling down.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    Thanks - that second one is definitely a 36 but you're right there's something not right about the first one. I do hope the website photos (renders?) are correct and they are all equal - it's an improvement over the existing design I think.

Perhaps photos will begin to trickle out now the GMT hype is settling down.
    Fingers crossed... they alway felt like a Friday 'oh did we tell you about these...?' second round of PR!

There hasn't been a white 36mm before, and I had missed that on the wave of releases.

A sniper would spot this without his scope!! Looks nicely finished - applied numbers in lume!

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post

60% of their sales are in china so I would guess designs will follow what appeals there.

I pretty much dismiss anything by B&R, that that is amazing, hope it’s over 40mm

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Have to say that's the first watch I've really liked from Baselworld 2018, pretty much perfect.

That aside, amazingly nothing for me so far.
    Is Guinand present at Basel?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post

I pretty much dismiss anything by B&R, that that is amazing, hope it’s over 40mm
    they had a Daytona and speedmaster mixed model released last year. Didn’t quite work. Chuck in a bit of Tudor Monte Carlo in to the mix and voila. Hate to admit but I quite like it