closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Pictures from Baselworld

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    A bit of a mouthful this one...............Chronométrie Ferdinand Berthoud FB 1R Edition 1785.

A limited edition of five pieces.

Now, that is patina!

Patina+!

Master
    A bit of a mouthful this one...............Chronométrie Ferdinand Berthoud FB 1R Edition 1785.

Now, that is patina!

Indeed it is, but it looks stupid and shitty on a $300K haute hologerie watch… irrespective of whether it’s limited to 5, 10, or 50 pieces!
    Last edited by PJ S; 23rd March 2018 at 15:46.

Why all the brass all of a sudden. Looks Ok when it's clean but looks gross really quickly (IMO!)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Works quite well with the dial imo. mellow.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Why all the brass all of a sudden. Looks Ok when it's clean but looks gross really quickly (IMO!)
    God knows; it's a fad I suspect. reminds me of those hideous Romain Jerome monstrosities from a few years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
    God knows; it's a fad I suspect. reminds me of those hideous Romain Jerome monstrosities from a few years ago
    It seemed to be a fad within the watch community a few years ago, Tudor got on to it in a fairly prompt speed for a big firm.
    I think most bronze will not shift many units now, WIS has passed on it and I can't really see it appealing to the masses in a big way.

A few more random real world pictures

This looks a lot better than in the promos!

Speedmaster fatigue? Not much being spoken about these... and it will be an onslaught next year you'd assume with 50 years since the moon landings.

Love the second hand!

A more detailed photo of the new Longines Legend Diver Heritage Black.

Last edited by j111dja; 24th March 2018 at 00:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    It makes a lot more sense the right way up, although the watch is then upside down!

Yep.

Someone at Timezone eventually got the initial photo the right way around. Well spotted.

Last edited by j111dja; 24th March 2018 at 00:16.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    I like this new annual calendar diver from blancpain.
    How to ruin a nice watch: Stick a day window at the 2, a date at 3 and the month at 5. What a useless mess.

Take them all off and it's perfect.

^^^^ And a lot cheaper!

Banned
    A bit of a mouthful this one ........... Chronométrie Ferdinand Berthoud FB 1R Edition 1785.

Now, that is patina!

Looks like a junk yard find.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Repeating myself for the umpteenth time: there ain't no such thing as the 'dark' side of the moon

But I find myself liking this movement finish!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by BernardF; 24th March 2018 at 05:30.

Craftsman
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-...iness-43213126

Not my cup of tea, but hey-ho, if it floats your boat!

Looks like TAG have jumped in with the Bamford Bodging Co. With a black carbon & blue Monaco...don't know why they couldn't just design it themselves but guess it will appeal to their target market but the younger market may well not be able to afford it...leave it to Biver i suppose... and at £7500 i would definitely leave it and after normal Monaco or after Rolex (non Bamford) each to their own i suppose

https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberta...-claude-biver/
    Last edited by lordloz; 24th March 2018 at 20:34.

Seen a video, but can't find a decent picture. The longines vhp gmt looks very interesting. Possibly the perfect (in terms of functionality) gmt.
    https://youtu.be/eu14QlmKeKk

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Oh that VHP GMT looks nice and lots of hidden tech...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Oh that VHP GMT looks nice and lots of hidden tech...
    Yes very impressive. Much nicer than that fauxtina thing Hodinkee is excited about

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Yes, works for me now!
    Me too. The BB 58 is the first Tudor I have genuinely considered. It looks stunning and the proportions seem perfect. So glad they slimmed the case down and the new movement is a winner too. Are the gold bits (hands) actually gold though?

New from Laco- Unitas 6498 so probably on the large side

And some divers

Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
    Yes very impressive. Much nicer than that fauxtina thing Hodinkee is excited about

Except for that video - I can find nothing about that watch - nothing on Longines own website or anywhere else... anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by BernardF View Post
    Repeating myself for the umpteenth time: there ain't no such thing as the 'dark' side of the moon

But I find myself liking this movement finish!

No good repeating it here, have you contacted Omega?

Africa was once known as the 'Dark Continent', didn't mean it was dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    No good repeating it here, have you contacted Roger Waters or David Gilmour?
    FTFY.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    And some divers

These are really nice. Most models I've seen from Laco have been a bit drab and featureless for my taste (I realise that for someone else, the same watch may come across as clean and uncluttered) but these are very neat. I don't necessarily think that all the colourways came out equally well, but the general design is really appealing.

I knew Longines had debuted a 36mm version of the Legend Diver in mother of pearl. Didn't realise they are also releasing it in black at 36mm. Take my money!

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/lo...-36mm-hands-on

Quote Originally Posted by gawkrodger View Post
    I knew Longines had debuted a 36mm version of the Legend Diver in mother of pearl. Didn't realise they are also releasing it in black at 36mm. Take my money!

Now if they would just meet in the middle at 39mm I'd be looking at my one watch solution. The 42mm was just too big, with over long lugs, and I think 36mm will be too small. But then again, it's all dial so maybe it won't?

I'll have to wait and try one on. I can hear the Goldsmith's salesman now – "But that's a lady's watch, sir."

Ha. I suspect they will actually sell more (at least of the black) to men than women

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Except for that video - I can find nothing about that watch - nothing on Longines own website or anywhere else... anyone?
    Suspiciously, that video has been removed from Youtube now it seems. Can someone describe it to me in a thousand words, or provide a court room sketch? I nearly went for a VHP last year but held off as I got the impression the range would expand so very interested to see it. Perhaps a mid year launch planned and marketing squeezed the trigger too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by gawkrodger View Post

Interestingly, I've read this is supposed to wears small! There is also a blur and a burgundy versions.

I wear a lot of smaller watches but the LLD is my largest and I somehow get away with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I think 36mm will be too small. But then again, it's all dial so maybe it won't?
    I love the more sensibly sized watches and the current LLD is way too big for my taste but in all honesty I think the 36mm will actually wear small. It's not all dial. A Nomos Orion at 35mm IS all dial and subsequently wears large. The LLD design has the moving internal chapter ring which I think has a similar effect on the design to that of bezels on divers. I would imagine it will shrink down the dial and design.

I'm very happy to be proved wrong and I'll be making a visit to Goldsmiths to view this and the Tudor BB Fifty-Eight when they hit the shops.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I love the more sensibly sized watches and the current LLD is way too big for my taste but in all honesty I think the 36mm will actually wear small. It's not all dial. A Nomos Orion at 35mm IS all dial and subsequently wears large. The LLD design has the moving internal chapter ring which I think has a similar effect on the design to that of bezels on divers. I would imagine it will shrink down the dial and design.

I'm very happy to be proved wrong and I'll be making a visit to Goldsmiths to view this and the Tudor BB Fifty-Eight when they hit the shops.
    I think you are dead on, the actual dial on the LLD always appears small on the wrist even in a large case, due to the internal bezel. It is a wonderful design though!

This is a winner too:

Don't think anyone's mentioned these yet - Chopard have relaunched the racing colours collection to celebrate 30 years of collaboration with the Mille Miglia historic rally. Each colour represents a national racing livery - green for the UK, red for Italy, yellow for Spain, etc. 42mm, around $6000 each.

Last edited by SimonK; 26th March 2018 at 11:37.

Master
    New AP anyone?

^
    Y'know, it's kind of amazing how many companies suck at making watches that actually look good — especially when they're plagiarising one that does.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Don't think anyone's mentioned these yet - Chopard have relaunched the racing colours collection to celebrate 30 years of collaboration with the Mille Miglia historic rally. Each colour represents a national racing livery - green for the UK, red for Italy, yellow for Spain, etc. 42mm, around $6000 each.
    Isn't the latter one a bit tenuous though? I think Chopard just wanted a yellow-dialled watch in the collection. After all, there's Belgium for yellow, too, and Chopard's official site is quite vague even on the other colours with much stronger historical association ...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    Interestingly, I've read this is supposed to wears small! There is also a blur and a burgundy versions.

I wear a lot of smaller watches but the LLD is my largest and I somehow get away with it!
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I love the more sensibly sized watches and the current LLD is way too big for my taste but in all honesty I think the 36mm will actually wear small. It's not all dial.
    36mm with a tool bezel?! I had a look at the 37.3mm Rado Captain Cook and it was like looking down the wrong end of a telescope. Frankly even the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe 38mm feels a bit like that. Even with slim wrists 40mm works ok for a diver, and that’s speaking as someone who’s quite happy wearing other styles of watches in 36mm.

The size issue has always been that big jump from a small 36mm to a large 42mm, with too few medium sized offerings in between. 36mm divers just seems like more of the same problem, just the other way round. I can only assume that these are ‘gender neutral’, or unisex as they used to say, brands increasingly seem to be launching a few unspecified watches and seeing who buys them.

*on the other hand, the LLD doesn’t have a conventional diving bezel.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 26th March 2018 at 13:36.

I've had my LLD no date for 10/11 years now since they first came out. I have 7 inch wrists and it fits me just right, I guess I'm just very used to it now, too.
    Here's the new little one next to a newer (date) LLD

And that other reissue (Nautilus Skin Diver) has some details here. It's going to be 42mm also.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    36mm with a tool bezel?! I had a look at the 37.3mm Rado Captain Cook and it was like looking down the wrong end of a telescope. Frankly even the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe 38mm feels a bit like that. Even with slim wrists 40mm works ok for a diver, and that’s speaking as someone who’s quite happy wearing other styles of watches in 36mm.

The size issue has always been that big jump from a small 36mm to a large 42mm, with too few medium sized offerings in between. 36mm divers just seems like more of the same problem, just the other way round. I can only assume that these are ‘gender neutral’, or unisex as they used to say, brands increasingly seem to be launching a few unspecified watches and seeing who buys them.

*on the other hand, the LLD doesn’t have a conventional diving bezel.
    Captain Cook has a wide (for its size) and the dial itself looks tiny. The longines is the opposite, all dial/crystal and large lug to lug. I've a decent size wrist and it looks too big at 42mm. I imagine the 36 will wear bigger than the dimensions suggest.

Nothing wrong with that size in all honesty, I've a couple of 36mm and they wear well (once you are used to seeing something smaller on wrist).

But, it's all personal preference!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

^^^ All I can go on is what I've read, but reports are that it wears smaller than dimensions suggest!

Here is my LLD on my 6.75" wrist. I often wear 34-36mm... somehow I get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD;4714930
    [img
    https://i.imgur.com/edQAVgX.jpg[/img]
    That is great picture

^^^ Cheers!

I wonder what other non-big company pieces we'll see now the dust is settling a bit and the hype machines die down a little!
    Last edited by OliverCD; 26th March 2018 at 15:08.

So this is interesting... the all black LLD was one of the first announced at the show. I thought it must have been a lot of work to PVD the braclet – but in fact it is a rubber strap made to look like a Milanese?! Not seen anything like that before...

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...=0#msg_7519601

As far as basic function 'smartwatch' or a connected watch goes, this is the best looker I've seen... and at the best price too.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...omepage-Slider
    Last edited by OliverCD; 26th March 2018 at 15:37.

Master
    Not seen much about this one. Blue dial railmaster with bronze colour second hand and no faux aged lume?

Pictures from Baselworld

Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    Not seen much about this one. Blue dial railmaster with bronze colour second hand and no faux aged lume?

Looks like a ‘denim’ dial...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite smart, interesting strap choice.

Journeyman
    The crown guard and the detail around the bezel ruin it for me. Feel like it’s a smart idea but maybe not executed the best way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

On the Omega site, its neither in the Baselword novelties section, nor in the Seamaster Railmaster section. Is it an LE?

Would really like to see it on the standard brushed oyster bracelet

That could be a Status Quo fan club commemorative watch, made exclusively of denim.

Whatever you want...