closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Waterman Carene cap question

Craftsman

Waterman Carene cap question

Hi there, I think there are a few pen enthusiasts on here, and I've got a question regarding the finish of Waterman Carene pen caps. My late father in law was a bit of a collector (watches, pens, knives, etc), and he generously gave me a number of Waterman Carene pens. I have a set (fountain/roller/ballpoint) of green-bodied pens with bright gold caps, and a set of black-bodied pens with caps sporting a very strange but attractive finish. These latter pens look like they've tarnished, albeit in a really nice way, but I wondered if it was actually the intended finish, as all three caps exhibit exactly the same effect? I gather that there have been lots of colour combinations over years. I've googled but can't find a similar finish.

Here's a comparison shot of gold vs tranished - I think I prefer it!

Master
    It could be vermeil (gold over silver) but I think more likely tarnished.

I love Carenes, especially the ones with these metal caps.

THIS will rapidly bring it back to life.

Master
    does the pen look like this ? http://https://www.pen.expert/waterm...n-gt-fine.html

Nice pen I have one 😀

Pretty sure it's tarnished.

Craftsman
    Yes, I think they probably are just tarnished. But I do like the patina, so I think I'll live with them like this for a while before thinking about trying to rejuvenate them. I've yet to write with them with any regularity, which is a shame as they are good quality pens by all accounts, so I'll try to rectify that. Tarnished or not, they were a generous gift, and I'm lucky to have them.