closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Willys MB/Ford GPW owners/experience on TZ?

Master

Any Willys MB/Ford GPW owners/experience on TZ?

After having spent the day at the Classic Car and Restoration show last Friday, a couple of very nice examples of JEEP, on display there, caught my eye. I quite fancy one, but know very little about them, or where to start.

Any TZers with any experience/knowledge to share?

Steve.

Journeyman
    Hi Steve,

I know very little about them too but do have a friend in the trade (antiques) and he has one for sale that he has totally restored - his name is Chris, the link is here: http://www.yorkshirepine.co.uk/prods...tml#ad-image-2

I am sure he would be happy to talk things through with you in any case.

Say Glenn from Antique Pine Imports sent you...

Any Willys MB/Ford GPW owners/experience on TZ?

What would you like to know?
    Best sports car ever...
    People constantly wanting to have their picture taken with it...
    Just brilliant fun

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ggmiller View Post
    Hi Steve,

I know very little about them too but do have a friend in the trade (antiques) and he has one for sale that he has totally restored - his name is Chris, the link is here: http://www.yorkshirepine.co.uk/prods...tml#ad-image-2

I am sure he would be happy to talk things through with you in any case.

Say Glenn from Antique Pine Imports sent you...
    That looks brilliant, although I’m not too keen on the pole thingamyjig sticking up from the front bumper. It’s a few quid more than I’d really wanted to spend though, and ‘offers above’ suggests that being a very good friend of Glenn from Antique Pine Imports still won’t mean I can buy it for £15k, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    What would you like to know?
    Best sports car ever...
    People constantly wanting to have their picture taken with it...
    Just brilliant fun
    Awesome.

Obviously not a daily driver, and you obviously love it, but what should I look for when considering a purchase? Is there any dedicated forums for owners, perhaps with a classifieds section? Should I buy restored, or take on a project? Can you point me in any direction where they are advertised for sale, outside of the usual channels? Any thoughts and advice would be great.

Cheers,

Steve.

Check out Dallas auto parts near Thatcham
    They sell both restored and projects
    There is a company in the Netherlands as well.
    They also sell all parts - you can buy every item you may need either brand new or NOS in fact you can buy all the bits to build yourself an entire brand new jeep made of parts!
    Things to look for...
    Engine seals - they tend to be knackered if the car has not been looked after, pistons also have a tendency to need re lining on high mileage versions
    Tin worm - most of them have it unless they have been totally rebuilt from the wheels up.
    Electrics - dependant on age and where and who it has served with means there are 3 types of electrical system. Original 6v, French 12v and 'modern' 24v, mine has the French as it's a GPW rebuilt by hotchkiss in France in the 50s and later served with the French in Africa. The French M201 (60s) is identical to the US made car bar the electrical system and a few minor points that can get changed out. They are worth a look. They come on radial tires for a more comfy road ride. You can change these to the Uni bar.
    Re the drive its agricultural. Dog leg first, 3 speed box, 50mph top speed going down hill with a following wind. No synchromesh so double declutch on 1st and reverse. They take a bit of getting used to. Steering is very heavy stationary.
    Under breaking they all have a tendency to pull to one side, I have spent hours trying to sort it. It's still no better
    Have a look at joining the military vehicle trust, lots of very helpful guys who have a real passion.
    They are really easy to work on, most items are easy to access
    That's them in a nutshell feel free to pm me if you want a chat, happy to point you in the right direction.
    I am now looking for a dodge command car, check them out a jeep on steroids

Master
    Some great info there mate, thanks for taking the time to write such an informative reply. There doesn’t seem to be a huge amount around for sale, with decent ones being around £20k. They look to have appreciated a lot over the past few years too.

They have
    I paid 12k 5 years ago
    It would be hard to find a runner for that now
    If you go for it you will love it. Be warned they become addictive

Master
    Hardly antique at 15 years old, and not Willys either, but this is my Jeep. Any excuse :)

One thing I forgot to mention.
    If you are tall sit in one first.
    The seats do not move, the steering column is very tall and the peddles are high and slightly off set which means they are not the most comfortable to drive. (Part of the fun though)
    I am 6.2 and it's a squeeze to get behind the wheel.

They appear , by and by , at CCA auctions, some seem to be in very good shape , so maybe worth checking their upcoming auctions ?

I had no idea these were so expensive over there. You can get a Dutch Nekaf for 4k GBP, or 7-8k for a good one. They're really easy to work on yourself, which is part of the fun, so it may almost be worth it to import a fixer upper from the mainland, although I have no idea about the cost involved.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    I had no idea these were so expensive over there. You can get a Dutch Nekaf for 4k GBP, or 7-8k for a good one. They're really easy to work on yourself, which is part of the fun, so it may almost be worth it to import a fixer upper from the mainland, although I have no idea about the cost involved.
    Surely the cost of importing from Europe would be very little compared to the like of the US etc.

Blog Entries
    Here you go: a Nekaf M38 'Nekaf' stands for 'Nederlandse Kaiser-Frazer' (Dutch Kaiser-Frazer factory). It is a real Jeep, a Willy's version. The cars were shipped as a kit to Rotterdam where they were assembled into Jeeps (had to do with the Marshall plan). The Army bought 4000 of them and kept them running until the late 70s; even I remember them from my period in the Army. Most of these 4000 are still in running order, hence the price.

the small ad is on a club website since today. 8.5K euros.

https://www.generaaltjes.nl/Rubriek/38/jeepnekaf

What's more: it's only 10 kms from the Hook of Holland: in Naaldwijk.

Last edited by thieuster; 28th March 2018 at 21:56.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Here you go: a Nekaf M38 'Nekaf' stands for 'Nederlandse Kaiser-Frazer' (Dutch Kaiser-Frazer factory). It is a real Jeep, a Willy's version. The cars were shipped as a kit to Rotterdam where they were assembled into Jeeps (had to do with the Marshall plan). The Army bought 4000 of them and kept them running until the late 70s; even I remember them from my period in the Army. Most of these 4000 are still in running order, hence the price.

the small ad is on a club website since today. 8.5K euros.

https://www.generaaltjes.nl/Rubriek/38/jeepnekaf

What's more: it's only 10 kms from the Hook of Holland: in Naaldwijk.

Thanks Menno, I could have elaborated on the Nekaf myself, apologies. This looks to be in nice condition and as you say: walking distance from the ferry. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    Thanks Menno, I could have elaborated on the Nekaf myself, apologies. This looks to be in nice condition and as you say: walking distance from the ferry. ;)
    The CJ3 is a good alternative for a more modern jeep
    Easy to maintain, more modern drive (still agricultural though) and just as good (if not better) off road.

I'll get my coat.....

Am I right in thinking that ww2 era ones are dearer/more desirable?
    think they were built into the 60's. Also thought I'd heard that they were expected to last 48 hours during the war!

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Am I right in thinking that ww2 era ones are dearer/more desirable?
    think they were built into the 60's. Also thought I'd heard that they were expected to last 48 hours during the war!
    They were made in France in to the 60s and to be honest most of the jeeps in the uk are the French hotchkiss version, or at least have been rebuilt by hotchkiss at some point.
    To find a complete original Ford or Willys built version in the UK can be a challenge. They have all been taken apart and put back together again so many times they are a mish-mash of parts. The parts for all three makers are interchangeable so you gets bits from all three manufacturers on most jeeps.
    The only certain m way to find out who actually made the jeep in the first place is the chassis number. If you know your stuff there are a few other tells such as the weld seam in the foot wells and dash board mounts but these are geeky levels of detail