closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a long-haul holiday

Craftsman

Recommend a long-haul holiday

Good people of TZ, I come once again looking for holiday advice:) I've never had a bum steer from this forum re holiday destinations, most of the globe seems to have been visited by members!

My fiancee and I have the last two weeks in May off. We've traveled extensively throughout Europe and are now looking further afield for our next holiday.

We're happy to go anywhere really, budget will be the determining factor. We're getting married in October so don't want to spend too much. We're hoping to get everything in for around the €5k mark.

Important for us are;

Warm weather, but not Middle East hot.

The sea and warm water, we absolutely love to swim and snorkel.

Good food.

Things to do and see, we're not a sit on the beach for two weeks people.

This morning, I've looked at Bali, Thailand, the Caribbean and Peru as potential destinations and my head is spinning! I'd be very grateful for some suggestions from you guys:)

Master
    Cuba?? Few days in Havana followed by a week or so in Varadero at one of the resorts. Some of the warmest water I've ever been in. Lovely people, great culture and fun.

We did it a couple of years ago and for your budget you'll be able to get a great break.

I wouldn't recommend Peru if you are after a bit of swimming and snorkelling, but obviously there are a great deal of amazing things to see such as the Sacred Valley and Lake Titicaca. It could be tied in with the Galapagos but probably not within your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Cuba?? Few days in Havana followed by a week or so in Varadero at one of the resorts. Some of the warmest water I've ever been in. Lovely people, great culture and fun.

We did it a couple of years ago and for your budget you'll be able to get a great break.
    That's a good call, if you can live with limited internet access which seems to come as a bit of a surprise to some visitors.

Mexico

Moon palace - it’ll blow you away
    You could even do the wedding....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    That's a good call, if you can live with limited internet access which seems to come as a bit of a surprise to some visitors.
    The hotels and resorts have pretty good wifi. Its only when you're out and about it can be an issue, but there is so much to see and do that doesn't require wifi!

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    How about Sri Lanka if the budget allows? Loads of history and culture (especially around Candy up in the mountains), Elephants, beaches and fish curry for breakfast.

From what I've heard you need to pick and choose the resorts at Varedero.

We went a few years back and ours (Breezes Bella Costa) was fine, nice and clean, friendly staff, BUT we managed to wangle to eat in the 'a la carte' restaurants each night, rather than the buffet, which was like a stampede the one night (on arrival) we did eat there.

For breakfast, it seemed much better, I guess we usually got up earlier than many.

The beach is great, although the sea was full of baby jellyfish when we were there and most people wouldn't go in. In fact, most people seemed to sit by the pool and never venture as far as the beach, which was great as there was always loads of space there!

That said, we loved Cuba. Havana was great, lots to see and do and a lovely atmosphere (6 years ago, anyway) and Varedero was fine.

We went on various trips around Cuba during our week in Varedero and would recommend people to get out and see more of the island.

To be honest, if we ever go back, we'll venture further afield than Varedero, it's really just a tourist enclave.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 20th March 2018 at 13:27.

Absolutely recommend Bali, I was there in Sept last year and Phuket this Feb, both fantastic places to see

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cuba is a good suggestion, but Varadero is obviously going to be little different from a hotel on the Costa Del Sol apart from the day trips. The eastern end of the island was far more memorable for me.

Can you speak any Spanish and are you adventurous? I toured Cuba with a small group for 3 weeks (10 years ago) and if it was me, I'd try and organise to stay in Baracoa. There's a decent, if basic, hotel in the castle at the top of the hill in town and the area is frankly amazing:

https://www.wanderlust.co.uk/content...quirky-travel/

It has everything you need, but you'll have to speak some Spanish or have someone to do it for you in order to arrange transport to beaches and sites of interest.

If you're not quite up for being that off the beaten track at least ensure you get a trip to Trinidad - I think they do excursions to Cienfuegos/Santa Clara/Trinidad from Varadero, but it'll be a LONG day on Cuban roads!

I would second Mexico for a bit of a mix of sightseeing and swimming/snorkelling. Staying in Cancun will allow you to travel to see some amazing sites as day trips: Tulum, Chichen Itza and (a bit further but well worth the trip) Uxmal. If you hired a car and travelled for a few days you could take in other amazing sites; Palenque, Tikal (Guatemala).

Blog Entries
    Belize? A fantastic destination for snorkelling and the beach I'd say.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    I would second Mexico for a bit of a mix of sightseeing and swimming/snorkelling. Staying in Cancun will allow you to travel to see some amazing sites as day trips: Tulum, Chichen Itza and (a bit further but well worth the trip) Uxmal. If you hired a car and travelled for a few days you could take in other amazing sites; Palenque, Tikal (Guatemala).
    Yes Mexico would be a good choice too. Been a long time since I went there but there is a lot to see and do as well as some great beaches and resorts to just relax and chill in. I went on a day's activity trip while I was there which included ziplining and sink-holes (my wife went to the spa that day!).

Master
    I'd thoroughly recommend Costa Rica -it's amazing and really accessible. BA started running a direct flight to San Jose last year, and the two internal airlines are really cheap and a great way to minimise travel-time if you want to get around and see as much of the country as you can.

We had a day acclimatising on the outskirts of San Jose and took in a visit to a volcano, then an internal flight (45mins) to Tortuguero on the Atlantic side, which is only accessible by boat or plane. 3 days here (stunning coastal rainforest with toucans, sloths, monkeys, caymen..), then a river taxi down the coast to Puerto Limon (amazing beaches and laid-back caribbean vibe) for 3 more days; before another internal flight back over to San Jose again where we'd left our big suitcases with the B&B we'd first stayed at (can only take hand luggage on the internal flights due to plane size).

A night and some rest here, before our 4x4 hire car was delivered to us and we then headed up to Monteverde in the north. Lush rainforest again, but higher altitude and volcanic activity gave it a very different feel. Several more days here, then a drive down the Pacific coast to Manuel Antonio nr. Quepos.

By this point we were winging it and hadn't booked accomodation for the rest of the trip. The plan was to spend one night here to break up the driving then head down to the Osa peninsula - a world heritage site which is very remote with some of CR's best wildlife. We'd been advised that Quepos was quite touristy and not to waste too much of our trip there, but we found an absolutely amazing hotel (best views from any room I've ever stayed in) and we really loved the place - ended up staying 3 nights and reducing our time in Osa. Drove down to the peninsula and had a couple more nights in a high-end eco type resort which was actually a little creepy as it was off-season and we were the only people there; before a final internal flight back to San Jose and then home.

The roads were generally excellent and easy to drive on (even the scary off-road mountain pass to Monteverde was fun, although that road suffers from frequent landslides). We were with our then 9-yr old daughter and found the whole country to feel really safe with no times we felt uneasy anywhere at all.

I don't know what the quality of diving is like there as that wasn't our plan this trip.

Have fun wherever you end up!
    Last edited by gcleminson; 20th March 2018 at 15:35.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Belize? A fantastic destination for snorkelling and the beach I'd say.
    We wanted to go to Belize on a Central America trip we did before our daughter was born, but the prices there seemed astronomical? Instead ended up travelling down through Mexico to Guatemala and Honduras and spent a week on Roatan (Honduran Bay Islands) learning to dive. Not sure I'd want to re-visit San Pedro Sula again though - world's most violent city, apparently, although we didn't know that at the time.
    Last edited by gcleminson; 20th March 2018 at 14:35.

Some great recommendations already.

I'd happily go back to Bali, Mexico or Cuba. I'd add Borneo and Thailand to the list as well.

Master
    Australia, the best place in the world.

Master
    Singapore/Langkawi/Kuala Lumpur/Angkor is a great trip. A week on the beach a few days each in two great cities and an amazing historical site.
    Great food, weather and people. What more do you need ?!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Belize is a good shout if you can find somewhere doing good excursions - ancient sites and there's also a cave tubing place, marine reserve, the Blue Hole - my wife and I spent 4 days there ending up on Caye Caulker as part of our honeymoon tour round Mexico/Guatemala/Belize. Fry Jacks for breakfast is an experience!

Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    Singapore/Langkawi/Kuala Lumpur/Angkor is a great trip. A week on the beach a few days each in two great cities and an amazing historical site.
    I found KL the least interesting SE Asian city I've been to.

Master
    Two weeks Caribbean cruise - get to see a different island nearly everyday and you can swim and snorkel at all of them. Plus great food on the ship.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Mexico

Moon palace - it’ll blow you away
    You could even do the wedding....
    Had my honeymoon there, highly recommended, plus even better if you play golf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    + 1 for Australia, but you really need at least 4 weeks to give it a proper go. Mrs Beanie and I love Singapore, and last hols we threw in a week in Langkawi, can't recommend this place enough; http://www.casadelmar-langkawi.com/
    All I would say is that it's worth researching the weather that time of year, we went in early January after NYE in Sydney.

Craftsman
    Kuoni had a cracking deal advertised for the Maldives last week. Awesome snorkelling and diving. It was one of the larger islands (if there is such a thing) and whilst it’s predominently a relaxation type of holiday, snorkelling, diving, trips to other islands, sunset cruises etc all keep you relatively busy.

Went to Bali last May. Start of the dry season and relatively quiet given it’s a shoulder month. Flight was around £450 on Qatar. Bali is cheap as chips and the Bintang’s good. Take off to the Gili Islands and Lombok.

Not too many bogans around Kuta which is a plus.

I’d avoid Thailand in May as it’s start of the wet season and very hot and humid

Master
    My cousin has Pook’s hill in Belize, worth a visit, look on his web site for things to do and it’ll give you some ideas on prices.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    I'd thoroughly recommend Costa Rica
    We've been on quite a few long haul holidays. Costa Rica is the country we most want to go back to.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the suggestions folks, they're extremely helpful! I hadn't even considered Cuba or Costa Rica, I'll definitely look into them.

Cuba - how developed is the country? Outside of the resorts, is it easy to get around? We've zero Spanish, I'd be worried that we would struggle.

Bali - I've had a few friends describe it as that part of the world's equivalent of Tenerife, full of p*ssed Ozzie teens, is it really that bad, or just in parts?

Thailand - I didn't think the wet season started until June/July, damn. Does it affect all of Thailand or just one part/coast?

I love St Lucia. Or most other Caribbean Islands would do me.
    It's just a matter of time...

Thailand is my favourite place to go. Weather may be abut rainy at end of may though. Don't waste your time with Bali,it's Chavy. It's the Benidorm for Australians

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions folks, they're extremely helpful! I hadn't even considered Cuba or Costa Rica, I'll definitely look into them.

Cuba - how developed is the country? Outside of the resorts, is it easy to get around? We've zero Spanish, I'd be worried that we would struggle.

Bali - I've had a few friends describe it as that part of the world's equivalent of Tenerife, full of p*ssed Ozzie teens, is it really that bad, or just in parts?

Thailand - I didn't think the wet season started until June/July, damn. Does it affect all of Thailand or just one part/coast?
    You may get away with it the further east you are. I went to kho phangan and kho Samui early may one year for my honeymoon and weather was great. I'd avoid the other side of country at end of may though i.e. Krabi and Phuket

Craftsman

Not very developed and still likely suffering from the hurricane damage last year. Some great deals to be had though. I’d go Varadero over the Cayos. We stayed at Iberostars both times we’ve been. Mosquitos/sandflies were a huge problem when we went to Cayo Guillermo. No issues in Varadero, easier to do things outside of resort, much more developed and close enough to Havana for a day trip.

Master
    Another +1 for Bali. I’ve been twice now and going back towards the end of May. Love the place, easy to travel around, wonderful people, volcanoes, beaches, snorkelling, diving etc etc. Above all with your budget you’ll be able to do everything you want and more.

We always treat ourselves to a stay in the posh rooms at the Intercontinental in Jimbaran at the end of the trip. A superb hotel.

Have a great time whatever you decide on!

Master
    I would also say we did a group tour around Cuba - had a good time and met some excellent people but probably wouldnt rush back to be honest. The food wasn’t great and the Havana airport ‘experience’ was truly awful - the worst airport I’ve ever gone through (including west Africa and significant chunks of Asia)

Maybe we just got unlucky but things like that stick!

Hawaii ticks all of your boxes - we had a couple of weeks in Maui and it’s one of my favourite places in the world. Beautiful, nice weather, great people and lots to see and do - watch the sun rise over the Pacific from the crater of a 10,000 foot volcano, catamaran in the bay to watch the humpbacks, lots of water sports.

Takes a long time to get there but that’s about the only drawback - a stunning place.

I'd recommend Thailand. It definitely ticks all the boxes and fits the bill on budget also.

A fair few years back we did two nights in Bangkok, took the over night train to Chaing Mai for a further 5 nights, then flew down to Kata Beach in Phuket for 8 nights. Other than a special 40th birthday treat of doing the Maldives; which will definitely be out of budget, Thailand was my stand out holiday thus far, I loved it and will likely go back. I preferred this to the States or Caribbean, but it's all a matter of taste and everyone is different. It can be a bit of an assault on the senses, but for me that was very welcome and the flavours, smells, friendliness of people, culture, sights and history were second to none. Combining this with a lovely beach and the Andaman sea you just cannot go too far wrong.

I also liked researching the holiday for places to stay, both locality and accommodation, then booking it all via a travel agent in the UK. The prices were such that you could stay in really nice hotels for very modest money and even eating out or eating in the hotels was astounding value.

Kuta (and a bit of south Legian) is like Malia/Magaluf, but easy to get away from all of that in Jimbaran, Sanur, Seminyak and Ubud etc etc. Ubud is particularly cosmopolitan with loads of nice Europeans.

The crap you hear about Bali is all related to Kuta, although one or two days is good there for the experience/laugh. For good or bad, Kuta should be experienced.

Thailand in May is crap. Save Thailand for Dec/Jan/Feb.

Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    This sums it up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rbains0708 View Post
    Don't waste your time with Bali,it's Chavy. It's the Benidorm for Australians
    You’ve either never been to Bali or spent you whole vacation in Kuta.

There’s a reason Bali is Tripadvisor’s No.1 destination.

Don't waste your time with Bali,it's Chavy. It's the Benidorm for Australians
    Last edited by gunner; 21st March 2018 at 17:56.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    You’ve either never been to Bali or spent you whole vacation in Kuta.

There’s a reason Bali is Tripadvisor’s No.1 destination.
    Well I've been to Bali and didn't spend my whole holiday in Kuta so you're wrong on both counts.

Master
    Well I've been to Bali and didn't spend my whole holiday in Kuta so you're wrong on both counts.

Where on earth did you go then?

Master
    Don’t know if anyone else has suggested it but consider Aruba- Went in September and it was absolutely stunning, picturesque Beaches, friendly locals perfect two weeks away.....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    Don’t know if anyone else has suggested it but consider Aruba- Went in September and it was absolutely stunning, picturesque Beaches, friendly locals perfect two weeks away.....

Full of yanks though.....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anz3001 View Post
    Full of yanks though.....
    Yep but prefer them to pissed up Brits! :-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post

Curacao is much nicer, especially so for snorkelling. Check out the Lions Dive beach resort, it’s all you will ever want for a holiday.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Curacao is much nicer, especially so for snorkelling. Check out the Lions Dive beach resort, it’s all you will ever want for a holiday.
    Yes planning on doing all three of the ABC islands... thanks for the info.

Banned
    For me it’s Mexico ( cancun ) or Thailand ( Phuket )

Blog Entries
    There's a magazine called 'National Geographic Traveller - Luxury' randomly 'dropped' on the coffee table in this house since yesterday... the Dutch version. I didn't buy it - must be my wife's hint that the Ltd's did great last year. The holiday spots featured are amazing!

Just to name a few articles with the motto 'Green Nights':

• Ecolodges in Costa Rica
    • Guatemala
    • Ruanda

Private Paradises (Rent your own island):
    • Voavah (Maladives)
    • Satellite Island (Tasmania)
    • Mneba (Zanzibar)

Adventure trips to:
    • Chile
    • Brazil
    • Uganda

Honeymoon trips to:
    • Ecuador
    • Nw Zealand
    • Tanzania

And other than that there are trips on the Silkroute, Haute Cuisine trips, Rajahstand (India) and some fine cruises.

In short, what's in this NG Special. I am sure that there's a version of it in English as well.

Despite the fact that the Ltd's did great last year; credit crunch etc are definitely over! I am a little reluctant: the beauty and comfort is a little overwhelming (says the man who saw the Alps in Switzerland for the first time in his life when he was 57 y/o...) But I can imagine that the OP's mind is set on 'going places'! Do it as long as you can. Go for it.

M