closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home Phone Advice

Home Phone Advice

I suspect what I’m after may not be possible but here goes...
    My elderly mother has a habit of not ending a call when someone phones so she is then sometimes unobtainable for hours. Are there phones (or devices) that disconnect when the other person hangs up? Realise a traditional phone would work better than her DECT phone but she’s not too mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I suspect what I’m after may not be possible but here goes...
    My elderly mother has a habit of not ending a call when someone phones so she is then sometimes unobtainable for hours. Are there phones (or devices) that disconnect when the other person hangs up? Realise a traditional phone would work better than her DECT phone but she’s not too mobile.
    My dad was much the same. We didn't find a way round it and sometimes one of us had to go over, which was less than handy when it was getting towards bedtime.

Interesting question - I 'm not sure how technically feasible it would be (I suspect that it could possibly be done with a Tasker/Automagic script on an Android phone, but that's not going to be a suitable solution here).

Have you tried contacting Age UK or BT - they have ranges of handsets which are designed to be elderly/arthritis/dementia friendly, although whether they have anything that could do what you want.

For example, https://www.alzproducts.co.uk/alzhei...ementia-phones

If she has WiFi could you power it via a smart plug and so be able to reboot the cradle (and hopefully the handset) remotely ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Sorry to be old fashioned but how about a corded non electric phone she has to put back on the base. I still keep one for when we have a power cut.

sorry missed your last sentence, ignore me.
    Last edited by alas58; 20th March 2018 at 07:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    My dad was much the same. We didn't find a way round it and sometimes one of us had to go over, which was less than handy when it was getting towards bedtime.
    That's what I have to do, being her only child living relatively nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by alas58 View Post
    Sorry to be old fashioned but how about a corded non electric phone she has to put back on the base. I still keep one for when we have a power cut.

sorry missed your last sentence, ignore me.
    She does have one of those but it's not in a convenient location and she keeps a DECT by her chair. Suppose the corded one could be rerouted but I'd have to take all the others away and it's good to have one in bedroom etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    If she has WiFi could you power it via a smart plug and so be able to reboot the cradle (and hopefully the handset) remotely ?

She doesn't have Wi-Fi I'm afraid though thinking about it though to keep an eye on her.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Interesting question - I 'm not sure how technically feasible it would be (I suspect that it could possibly be done with a Tasker/Automagic script on an Android phone, but that's not going to be a suitable solution here).

Have you tried contacting Age UK or BT - they have ranges of handsets which are designed to be elderly/arthritis/dementia friendly, although whether they have anything that could do what you want.

For example, https://www.alzproducts.co.uk/alzhei...ementia-phones
    I'll have a look, thanks.

Home Phone Advice

You can get plugs that you can reboot via text message - they need a SIM though of course. We have some that ping a web site and reboot if they don’t get a response (to avoid rebooting a remote frozen server) but I did see SMS capable ones when I was looking.

Obviously check a reboot works first as they are about 100 each so WiFi may be more useful spending of the money.