closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best small laptop?

Grand Master

Best small laptop?

I'm looking to get a second laptop, something smaller and more portable to help with my project. It needs to have at least a pentium class processor above 1.7Ghz to run the software i need for the project, as well as being cheapish, i.e. not in the high hundreds, or an apple!

What is on the market these days, from what i've seen i can get 10.5 or 11.1" small laptops that are a good size, but underpowered as they appear to be just mobile email and facebook style laptops, is there much out there that's small, but also capable of running decent software packages on?

Master
    Was going to suggest an Apple then a Lenovo X1 but they are both out on the basis of Apple and then price.
    So what about a Lenovo Thinkpad maybe even a refurb model.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've looked at this type before. Your choice new is either basic or bloody expensive.
    I've got an old Microsoft Surface Pro3 i7. Should be a cheapish second hand pickup but still a decent machine and very lightweight.

Are there older (up to three years old) XPS13s on the second hand market?

I bought mine three years ago for a thousand pounds. If you could buy one used it would be ideal - it's still a great laptop.

A refurbished Latitude from Dell outlet? 11.6" screens, Windows 10 and half decent processors for under £300. Most are scratched/dented returns but you still get a years guarantee: http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/I...HKD4pDKolEw%3d

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    A refurbished Latitude from Dell outlet? 11.6" screens, Windows 10 and half decent processors for under £300. Most are scratched/dented returns but you still get a years guarantee: http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/I...HKD4pDKolEw%3d
    I've purchased a couple of laptops from there and been happy with the product, price and service. They operate a form of the CW/DFS business model constantly offering discounts via 'coupons' - see the link on the secondary menu bar - so it can be worth monitoring the current offerings until the item(s) you are interested in come up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post

I bought mine three years ago for a thousand pounds. If you could buy one used it would be ideal - it's still a great laptop.
    A good choice indeed, but usually priced accordingly. Incidentally the choice of Linus Torvalds as well -
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/linus-t...amming-laptop/

Master
    Dell outlet are good & I'd look at a refurb from ebay. Numerous vendors offer 3 or 6 month warranties & you can pick up a good laptop at very reasonable cost.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I've looked at this type before. Your choice new is either basic or bloody expensive.
    I've got an old Microsoft Surface Pro3 i7. Should be a cheapish second hand pickup but still a decent machine and very lightweight.
    Got the same piece of kit and was going to recommend too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    Was going to suggest an Apple then a Lenovo X1 but they are both out on the basis of Apple and then price.
    So what about a Lenovo Thinkpad maybe even a refurb model.
    ThinkPad is a business model range and pricey starting at over £900. I'd suggest the retail version the IdeaPad range

Master
    A used/refurbished Thinkpad X220 might be an idea. These still have the famous 7-row Thinkpad keyboards. If you don't care about those, the X230 is largely similar apart from a chiclet 6-row keyboard, but has USB 3.0 ports. The xx20 and xx30 series are actually faster than some later models as Lenovo changed to lower-power CPUs to save battery power after these. There is a tablet version with a rotating touch screen if you want that sort of thing, too. Lots to be found on eBay as that generation business laptops is now written off and gets bought by refurbishers.

Master
    Morgan computers have got some decent pokey small machines at the moment.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post

Cheers for all the responses, the Dell 3189 looks interesting, is there anything else that's decent around this price, it's about £380 VAT INC.

Master
    Google for refurbished Dells. My wife got one from a UK reseller, same price as Dell but with
    3 year on site warranty rather than one year rtb.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post

A few hundred turned into more than a grand and i've got an XPS13, the 9360 with the new 8th gen processor, should hopefully do the job!

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    A few hundred turned into more than a grand and i've got an XPS13, the 9360 with the new 8th gen processor, should hopefully do the job!
    It's a lot of cash upfront but I'm expecting to get five years out of mine before it gets annoying. Cheap laptops are a short term fix if you use them a lot.

Which one did you go for as there seems loads under XPS 13 9360

Was look at this one:

https://www.johnlewis.com/dell-xps-1...ilver/p3336144

Assume the above is the updated 2018 model

Grand Master
    It's like that, but with the QHD touchscreen and 8550u processor, should be future proofed for at least 3 months!

I've just been given a Surface Pro 4 through work, and I have to say that it's an amazing bit of kit. weighs nothing, too.

It's like that, but with the QHD touchscreen and 8550u processor, should be future proofed for at least 3 months!
    In for a penny...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I've just been given a Surface Pro 4 through work, and I have to say that it's an amazing bit of kit. weighs nothing, too.

I have one at home, and I agree. I actually think people don't realise how good it's.. always impressed with the reports of Microsoft not selling enough

Have you a link where you got it from please, trying to decide if the 9370 is worth going for

Quote Originally Posted by murilloinf View Post
    I have one at home, and I agree. I actually think people don't realise how good it's.. always impressed with the reports of Microsoft not selling enough
    They are expensive but I love mine too. I was at a meeting recently (external) and 3 out of 5 were SPs so they are definitely making inroads against the MBPs in the corporate world.

I expect sales are “slow” due to replenishment cycles rather than the actual product.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Cheers for all the responses, the Dell 3189 looks interesting, is there anything else that's decent around this price, it's about £380 VAT INC.
    Well if you get one from the outlet in the next couple of days DOEASTER15 will take 15% off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Google for refurbished Dells. My wife got one from a UK reseller, same price as Dell but with
    3 year on site warranty rather than one year rtb.
    Do you happen to have a link please?