closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko Astron

Master

Seiko Astron

Does anybody have one. I kind of want a grab and go watch where I don't have to worry about setting the time or date or anything.

Does anyone have any other suggestions. I was originally thinking a simple quartz with no date function but that's proving difficult to find. Sort of like a seiko presage but quartz and no date. Open to any ideas

Suppose a casio perpetual calendar of some description makes more sense

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

What about a Casio Oceanus? After missing out on one a week or two back I have ended up with two - one silver, one PVD - and they are rather impressive.

Alternatively a Longines VHP.

I was going to suggest one of the GPS Casio G-shocks as an alternative to the Astron, but the only one in the Casio Outlet at the moment is the Gravity Master (https://outlet.casio.co.uk/B-Grade-C...PW-1000GB-1AER) which, whilst attractively priced, doesn't have the bling of the metal ones (or an Astron)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    What about a Casio Oceanus? After missing out on one a week or two back I have ended up with two - one silver, one PVD - and they are rather impressive.

Alternatively a Longines VHP.
    Any chance you can post a picture?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I was going to suggest one of the GPS Casio G-shocks as an alternative to the Astron, but the only one in the Casio Outlet at the moment is the Gravity Master (https://outlet.casio.co.uk/B-Grade-C...PW-1000GB-1AER) which, whilst attractively priced, doesn't have the bling of the metal ones (or an Astron)
    Not really subtle enough but thanks for the idea

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    just google it!
    Helpful. What's the point in a watch forum if you can't ask about watches?

Last edited by Parabola; 19th March 2018 at 21:21.

Do you travel abroad a lot? If not then a solar atomic G Shock would fit the bill nicely.

Master
    Not a great deal. But of Europe for work. But weird; I don't mind setting watches it'd just be nice to have a watch that is basically always right that I can set other watches to, wear occasionally.

Honestly not sure what I want but quite liked the Astron when I held one (just not the price) and I don't own a quartz

Edit: actually I'm talking out of my arse, I have two g-shocks but what I mean is I don't have a nicer quartz. It's been a long day

Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
    Any chance you can post a picture?

Here you go:

and here is the VHP:

Master
    Here you go:

and here is the VHP:

Cheers mate. Are the dates pretty quick to set. I.e. does it have a push crown or a screw down. Nice watches by the way, I can see why you got them

There is a Seiko Sportura GPS, that uses an Astron movement 8X22 for a lot less than an Astron. I paid just under £500 for a new one last year. As you say I wear it more often than my others as it is a classy pick up and go.

Even the booklet calls it an Astron https://www.seikowatches.com/support..._EN_160526.pdf

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvWatch View Post
    There is a Seiko Sportura GPS, that uses an Astron movement 8X22 for a lot less than an Astron. I paid just under £500 for a new one last year. As you say I wear it more often than my others as it is a classy pick up and go.

Even the booklet calls it an Astron https://www.seikowatches.com/support..._EN_160526.pdf

Ooh that's nice. Wasn't aware of that at all

Citizen would sit nicely between a Seiko Astron and a Casio Oceanus. Loads of different models of various types. "Citizen Radio Controlled" to google and Bob's your uncle.

Cheers mate. Are the dates pretty quick to set. I.e. does it have a push crown or a screw down. Nice watches by the way, I can see why you got them

Push crown in both cases, but you shouldn’t need to set the date - the VHP is a perpetual calendar and the Casio is radio controlled.

Master
    Push crown in both cases, but you shouldn’t need to set the date - the VHP is a perpetual
    Calendar and the Casio is radio controlled.
    Ah okay ta

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    Citizen would sit nicely between a Seiko Astron and a Casio Oceanus. Loads of different models of various types. "Citizen Radio Controlled" to google and Bob's your uncle.
    Hadn't thought of that cheers. I think I want something that feels 'special'; never had a citizen, are they nicely made watches?

Hadn't thought of that cheers. I think I want something that feels 'special'; never had a citizen, are they nicely made watches?

I think they're worth the pricetag, but mostly not quite on par with Astron.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    I think they're worth the pricetag, but mostly not quite on par with Astron.
    Thanks I might pop along to h Samuel and take a look

This has to be a contender, £500 for Astron quality is an absolute bargain!

Master
    Went on a cruise in the Caribbean very recently and was annoyed at not being able to take a radio-synced G-Shock, as the inability to sync with a transmitter would have tormented my OCD. And I wished that I had a GPS-synchronised watch.

But I took a couple of regular Casio quartz watches with me. Neither gained as much as a second in the week I was away and both allowed me to adjust the hour setting independently. And since I almost never go abroad for more than two weeks, I was forced to conclude that a GPS watch is a solution to a problem that for me, doesn't actually exist.

Master
    Off topic but looking for that on chrono24 and I came across this oddity
    https://www.chrono24.co.uk/seiko/spo...-id7809514.htm

Master

I keep coming back to this one. It really is rather nice. Do you have a wrist shot?

Here you go, one hairy wrist shot

Master
    Ta much. Making me tempted. Had a mooch around online. There were some in the Christmas sales at £400 which seems a bargain. Think £525 is realistic right now but I'm going to be patient; I assume a bargain will appear at some point and it's not like I don't have plenty of watches already

Master
    I'm still interested to know whether anyone on the forum has an Astron. It seems to be a remarkably poor seller. I've never seen one on here, which is a little bit of a surprise. I assume it would be a depreciation disaster

I have one, purchased new and was about, 1200. SAST017G
    I know I'll never get my money back but it's a keeper anyway so it's irrelevant. If you like the look and get one at a good price I would say get one. Super watch with some amazing technology. A watch that I set all my watches by.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    I have one, purchased new and was about, 1200. SAST017G
    I know I'll never get my money back but it's a keeper anyway so it's irrelevant. If you like the look and get one at a good price I would say get one. Super watch with some amazing technology. A watch that I set all my watches by.
    Thanks mate. That's pretty much my thinking. I really like the dial on the Novak Djokovic one even though I'm put off by celebrity endorsements. SSE105

https://www.seiko-astron.com/ndlimited2016/

I have this one..http://www.seiko.co.uk/collections/m...g#.WrFouIGnwwA

Took it off the bracelet though and put it on the rubber and deployment which is superb with a great design and top quality.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    I have this one..http://www.seiko.co.uk/collections/m...g#.WrFouIGnwwA

Took it off the bracelet though and put it on the rubber and deployment which is superb with a great design and top quality.
    Yeah that's really nice. The list price on these makes your eyes water though. Might pop into the Seiko boutique tomorrow and have a look

Craftsman
    That’s a really great looking watch and one I wasn’t aware of at all