closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U-Boat....Rig for Impact!

Journeyman

U-Boat....Rig for Impact!

Been a fan of U-Boat watches ever since I first clapped eyes on an old Classico. Bought and sold many over the years. Own a few too many now but as my first post on here I thought I would share my everyday favs.

Yeah I know they are BIG but the quality of build is amazing and I don’t understand the complete dislike some have of the brand.

Chimera Net Tungsten 8065 46mm

Classico Tungsten Chrono 7432 50mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to understand dislike is pointless. You like them, you wear them, you spend your money on them so thats all that matters.

http://www.u-boat.co.uk/Women-Shoes-...tsjncsmd658sh6

Blog Entries
    At last, another U-Boat fan. I have bought and sold a few in the past years when the quality was a bit iffy but the latest models quality are up there with my Omega's and IWC, they really are that good. I still think that some of the larger models are a bit OTT but if you stick to the 45, 47mm versions they are great, I prefer the more simple dials as less is more so to speak, pics of mine below................... by the way the straps are amazing quality. Like with my Pam I normally change the straps on my watches to give them a different look but haven't bothered with the U-boats as they are that good.

R

Bronzo, Classico Stratos and the U-47.

Last edited by Frankie169; 19th March 2018 at 19:49.

I like U-Boat watches ever since I first saw them. Not all models... I do feel like they're pretty overpriced though... Then again I guess that they fall under the fashion-watch category so it's kind of understandable.

Journeyman
    That’s a lovely collection you have there Franke169 - especially that Bronzo

I agree very early models where lacking in quality somewhat but again where priced much lower.
    On current pricing, you do have to choose wisely - some models aren’t worth the RRP - well they are if it’s what you want, but I like buying a watch and knowing it will retain a certain amount of value. It’s the same with any brand but, your best keeping the powder dry until a deal comes along - and some models in a brands make no sense when priced against other models.

Don’t agree with the ‘fashion watch’ contribution- however - U-Boat are better than most people give credit for.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redshovel View Post
    That’s a lovely collection you have there Franke169 - especially that Bronzo

Don’t agree with the ‘fashion watch’ contribution- however - U-Boat are better than most people give credit for.

Totally agree with you Red, latest range are far better than people think. They still judge by all the negative press from early days and the fact it’s a marmite brand, it’s nice to wear a quality watch that is quite rare out in the wild, rather than just the usual branded dive or pilot watch.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ordo View Post
    I like U-Boat watches ever since I first saw them. Not all models... I do feel like they're pretty overpriced though... Then again I guess that they fall under the fashion-watch category so it's kind of understandable.
    Don’t be fooled by the RRP, you can get some VERY good prices from a dealer, I bought new as the models I bought rarely come up second hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    Trying to understand dislike is pointless. You like them, you wear them, you spend your money on them so thats all that matters.

http://www.u-boat.co.uk/Women-Shoes-...tsjncsmd658sh6
    indeed
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

While not a big fan I have owned two U-Boats and they were both great watches.

Early on I had a disagreement with an idiot on here who tried to tell me they only made huge watches that looked like dinner plates, but even when he was shown the error of his ways the fool has kept the grudge going for over 10yrs.
    Last edited by Morning Wood; 19th March 2018 at 21:41.

They are not my cup of tea (too large, overdone styling imho), but the build quality is evident even just from the pics.

Wear them in good health!

Brilliant, keep them coming
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Not to everyone's taste but no-one does big and daft like U-Boat... I love 'em!
    I haven't seen one out in the wild for quite a bit, but when Mrs kojak was shopping in Selfridges in Manchester I could quite happily entertain myself at the U-Boat counter.

Very much the same flavour as Graham watches, check those out too! ;)

Journeyman
    In recent times U-Boat have been knocking out more manageable sizes which has helped bring more wearers into the fold but then again perhaps, for me anyway, neglecting the madness, such as the U1001. Never version is available in ‘only’ in 47mm. I remember fondly my old 55mm....and yes I regret selling that.

Journeyman
    Thanks to the OP for the awesome pictures. The watches themselves are big, brash and maybe even a little mad, but they made me smile.

Master
    Thankfully there's quite a few watch fans on here who can see beyond Rolex and Omega!

Master
    Oh dear.....where's that thread about watch brands you hate?? I think I need to add to my post on it....

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Get a proper canteen watch

Craftsman
    Love the Chimera, not sure I’d get away with wearing one but looks great in the OP pics.

Journeyman
    [QUOTE=troymcclure72;4707364]Thankfully there's quite a few watch fans on here who can see beyond Rolex and Omega!

QUOTE]

What model/year is that one? Looks well!

Oh no they cut the numbers on the dial.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    Oh no they cut the numbers on the dial.
    So 🧐

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    So 類

Did you mean to put a ?...?

Journeyman
    I am struggling to see the relevance and/or problem with the cut numbers

I have a Flightdeck 45 Carbon purchased new in 2012 from memory.
    My Watch collection has changed a lot but it still sits there patiently waiting for wrist time that will probably never come.

Master

What model/year is that one? Looks well!

It's a U-Boat Flightdeck U-6497. Coming to sc shorty!

Just received mine back from my dad, still debating whether to sell it as it doesn’t get much wrist time anymore (although my 1st ‘expensive automatic & 30th birthday gift). Here’s some quick pics IMG_1547.JPGIMG_1546.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    If it’s your only U-Boat I would be inclined to retain. It’s a nice example and I have always loved the ‘plate’ straps on those models - which U-Boat seem to have deleted on the latest models.

Journeyman
    I’d love to try one of those out

Blog Entries
    Nice to see some u-boat love 💕

Journeyman
    I recently sold a U-Boat Unicum (53mm lol) that I never wore. Regret it at times but then I don’t.

I love the brand and will never sell the 2 U-Boats I wear most but I had started to fall into the way of collecting them and buying models I didn’t necessarily want or would wear.
    Instead I am gonna try other brands. Had my eye on a few Panerai or a Squale - a brand I had never seen before joining this forum.

I recently sold a U-Boat Unicum (53mm lol) that I never wore. Regret it at times but then I don’t.
    Last edited by Mr Curta; 21st December 2020 at 00:55.

Master
    Great thread OP, nice to see some different watches on here that we don’t see too often :-)

If it’s your only U-Boat I would be inclined to retain. It’s a nice example and I have always loved the ‘plate’ straps on those models - which U-Boat seem to have deleted on the latest models.

Thanks. Yes it’s my only model, although I don’t wear t much at all. I do like the new U-47 & the old U-42 (both 47mm) but the clean & wearable design of the 45mm Classico’s are nice.

I do like the metal plate on the straps & they leather straps are fantastic, much better quality than the OEM Panerai ones IMHO. Just wish the strap width was 24mm as 20mm they currently are is too small.

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Just received mine back from my dad, still debating whether to sell it as it doesn’t get much wrist time anymore (although my 1st ‘expensive automatic & 30th birthday gift). Here’s some quick pics IMG_1547.JPGIMG_1546.JPG

Anyone know how to post improved pictures from the iPhone TZ App?

Blog Entries
    Thanks. Yes it’s my only model, although I don’t wear t much at all. I do like the new U-47 & the old U-42 (both 47mm) but the clean & wearable design of the 45mm Classico’s are nice.

I do like the metal plate on the straps & they leather straps are fantastic, much better quality than the OEM Panerai ones IMHO. Just wish the strap width was 24mm as 20mm they currently are is too small.

Glad you mentioned the straps and have to agree, the straps are superb, my U-47 came with 2 NATO straps so I bought a leather strap for it, they really are in a league of there own , I own a Pam and the straps including after market ones just don’t compare. I wouldn’t go over 47mm but the U-47 doesn’t wear that much larger then my classicos.

Craftsman
    If you consider that other "respectable" brands are just as overpriced, have just the same outsourced movement at the same quality.
    At least U-Boats are quite original.
    I happen to like some of their models, but not at that RRP, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jancik View Post
    I happen to like some of their models, but not at that RRP, that's for sure.
    Does anyone pay RRP on U-Boat? ...hang on, I did back in 2012. Bold watch, bolder loss!

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Byron;4790584]Does anyone pay RRP on U-Boat? Simple answer is no, you can easily get good discounts.

Stratos 45m RRP £2700 get around £2200, U47 RRP £1500 pay around £1100

I

[QUOTE=Frankie169;4790761]
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Does anyone pay RRP on U-Boat? Simple answer is no, you can easily get good discounts.

Stratos 45m RRP £2700 get around £2200, U47 RRP £1500 pay around £1100

I
    Think I managed to pick up my Classico for £900, and been offered £750 on eBay a few times, in the end I’ve decided to keep it.

Loving the U47 & nice to know you can pick it up from that price. How’s the lume on the beige dial? Thinking of upgrading maybe &/ or buying one for my dad.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=McBeardy;4790772]
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie169 View Post

Think I managed to pick up my Classico for £900, and been offered £750 on eBay a few times, in the end I’ve decided to keep it.

Loving the U47 & nice to know you can pick it up from that price. How’s the lume on the beige dial? Thinking of upgrading maybe &/ or buying one for my dad.

Love the U-47 Beige and it gets lots of wrist time. The Lume isn’t brilliant to be honest, it is bright to start with but doesn’t last very long where as the other U-boats I have with black dials are all superb, very bright and all night readable, up there with my Pam.

The beige dial is really eye catching with the sandwich dial markers and the raised numerals. It comes with 2 NATO straps, one leather, one canvas. I prefer normal straps so bought a light brown strap off U-Boat. Not cheap but they are amazing straps compared with Pams etc.

Overall I am very impressed with all the U-boats I have and despite a large collection they seem to get most of my wrist time. Very much a marmite brand but happy with that, quality is now superb, Classico range is not as loud and large as say the U-42s and you don’t see many in the wild like with Omega, Rolex et.

If you are near the SW happy to meet up so you can see for yourself.

U-Boat....Rig for Impact!

[QUOTE=Frankie169;4790847]

Love the U-47 Beige and it gets lots of wrist time. The Lume isn’t brilliant to be honest, it is bright to start with but doesn’t last very long where as the other U-boats I have with black dials are all superb, very bright and all night readable, up there with my Pam.

The beige dial is really eye catching with the sandwich dial markers and the raised numerals. It comes with 2 NATO straps, one leather, one canvas. I prefer normal straps so bought a light brown strap off U-Boat. Not cheap but they are amazing straps compared with Pams etc.

Overall I am very impressed with all the U-boats I have and despite a large collection they seem to get most of my wrist time. Very much a marmite brand but happy with that, quality is now superb, Classico range is not as loud and large as say the U-42s and you don’t see many in the wild like with Omega, Rolex et.

If you are near the SW happy to meet up so you can see for yourself.
    Thanks Frankie169 I’ll definitely meet up if in the area. Think the beige U47 my be bought next year for a significant birthday for my dad he can pull off the 47mm more than me, plus the Classico & Beige dial are distinctive U Boat.

Wearing mine today & making a change from from the Pam.

Also if you either get a chance to visit a Boutique it’s a great experience. Went to the one in Rome, very stylish.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=McBeardy;4792746]

Thanks Frankie169 I’ll definitely meet up if in the area. Think the beige U47 my be bought next year for a significant birthday for my dad he can pull off the 47mm more than me, plus the Classico & Beige dial are distinctive U Boat.

Wearing mine today & making a change from from the Pam.

Also if you either get a chance to visit a Boutique it’s a great experience. Went to the one in Rome, very stylish.

No problem, out the Country till Mid July but just give me a shout when in the SW, will bring along my U-47 and Stratos

Just a heads up, Lakeside Costco have the beige dial U-47 for a few hundred less than RRP (think £1,300) & the beige Tungston Classico in. Think I’ll try on the U-47 when I’m next in.

Blog Entries
    Just a heads up, Lakeside Costco have the beige dial U-47 for a few hundred less than RRP (think £1,300) & the beige Tungston Classico in. Think I’ll try on the U-47 when I’m next in.

Let us know how you get on.

Just a heads up U Boat owners/ fans, I have a black leather 20mm Classico deployment with the steel buckle for sale, and rather it go to someone on here than eBay, if anyone was interested.

Thanks Brad

Journeyman
    Just a heads up U Boat owners/ fans, I have a black leather 20mm Classico deployment with the steel buckle for sale, and rather it go to someone on here than eBay, if anyone was interested.

Thanks Brad
    Is it used or new?

Is it used or new?

It is used, although in still good condition.

At last, another U-Boat fan. I have bought and sold a few in the past years when the quality was a bit iffy but the latest models quality are up there with my Omega's and IWC, they really are that good. I still think that some of the larger models are a bit OTT but if you stick to the 45, 47mm versions they are great, I prefer the more simple dials as less is more so to speak, pics of mine below................... by the way the straps are amazing quality. Like with my Pam I normally change the straps on my watches to give them a different look but haven't bothered with the U-boats as they are that good.

R

Bronzo, Classico Stratos and the U-47.

Resurrecting an old thread with a brand which doesn't have much of a following.

Do you still own the Stratos if so was it manual wind? I like the look of the 40mm version and wanted to know how the bezel held up, is it it too 'blingy' also lume any good?

Thanks Brad

Blog Entries
    Resurrecting an old thread with a brand which doesn't have much of a following.

Do you still own the Stratos if so was it manual wind? I like the look of the 40mm version and wanted to know how the bezel held up, is it it too 'blingy' also lume any good?

Thanks Brad
    Hi, thanks for reviving the thread, as you say they don’t get much of a following here which is a shame

My stratos is a 45mm auto, wouldn’t go for the 40mm as the crown is tiny and would be a nightmare trying to keep winding it.

The bezel is superb, being tungsten it’s very hard if not impossible to scratch, isn’t at all blingy and pleased to report that the lume is truly outstanding

U-Boats quite rightly got a bad press in the early days as the finish wasn’t as good as the rest of the know brands but they are now up there with the rest of the brands in this price bracket, I have Breitling, Omega, Tag etc to compare against, now had it a couple of years and it’s going nowhere

Best advice I can give is to make sure it’s going to be a keeper before you buy as they do dump a lot of money if you sell, also means you can get the occasional bargain on a s/h one