closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Quartz Dress/Sports Watch Ideas around 1000GBP

Quartz Dress/Sports Watch Ideas around 1000GBP

A mate of mine in work has asked me for some advice on a watch for his son's 18th birthday, but I'm struggling a little for ideas, so thought I'd ask here for ideas.

His criteria are:

1000 GBP budget
    Quartz
    Simple dial (I'm taking that to mean no chronographs)
    Leather strap

He would, naturally, like it to be brand new, not second hand.

If he was after something automatic or hand-wound then I would have no trouble recommending several watches at that budget, but quartz seems to be a little in no-man's-land at this price.

All sensible suggestions very welcome! Thanks.

Master
    Difficult price point that but I guess something like a Longines or a Hamilton would be a good.place to look

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Used Omega AT would be my choice

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Used Omega AT would be my choice
    Mine too, but he wants it to be brand new as it's for his son's 18th birthday.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by welshlad View Post
    Mine too, but he wants it to be brand new as it's for his son's 18th birthday.
    Yeh just spotted that - Seiko GS- would that come into the budget or an Asteron
    Or a spring drive
    Last edited by lewie; 19th March 2018 at 19:28.

You may be able to find an Astron and definitely the Citizen equivalent (I don’t know the model name) but even the cheapest GS Quartz is around £2k plus.

Longines VHP seems like a reasonable candidate.

EDIT: No leather strap option, but you could buy one with the leftover cash ;)
    Last edited by Psychomech; 19th March 2018 at 19:42.

Master
    Weird way of putting it, but assuming this is expensive enough, this is what I'd go with

https://www.longines.co.uk/watches/c...gaAsahEALw_wcB

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

I wasn't really aware of the Longines VHPs before, but they look a good bet. As suggested above, he could buy an extra leather strap and then his son will have the option of both strap and bracelet as his tastes evolve in the future.

Any other candidates I'm missing?

Master
    300 m tuna

Master
    Tag Heuer get a bit of a crap reception on here, but to a none WIS they are a brand that hold considerable weight. Most of my mates who aren't "into" watches but still want an expensive bit of bling on their wrist wear a Tag.

Anyway, this would be my pick;

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/TAG-Heue...ch/p/17381197/

Tag Heuer Formula 1, model WAZ1010.
    It's £50 over budget at £1050. They do a smaller one at £950 (38mm) but the full size is the better bet in my opinion.
    It's on a steel bracelet, but a standard lug fitting (either 20mm or 22mm) so that bracelet can be swapped for leather in about 30 seconds and still allows the option to stick it back on steel for more heft.

Blue dial, is that an issue? They do a few similar models in all black but they leave me a bit cold.

VHP definitely - wearing mine right now, fantastic watch for the money.

Thanks guys. I'll show him these options tomorrow and that will help him to clarify his requirements a little more I think.

Or a spring drive
    What ? For a thousand quid new ? You'd be lucky.

Seiko Landmaster (SBDW005) - use the spare cash for a strap.

Journeyman
    Another vote for Longines. If it has to be quartz then the VHP takes some beating.
    If prepared to look at mechanicals then I don’t think I could look past the Sinn 556 in this price bracket.

Master
    Why does it need to be quartz? Only reason I can think of maybe is that Dad is aware what services cost and wants to avoid future expense for Son?

Oh, and I may be wrong but I'd have thought most 18yr-olds would prefer a sports watch over a dress watch..

Craftsman
    If he would entertain an automatic, this is a LOT of watch for under a bag;

https://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/104_St_Sa_I.htm

Master
    That Hamilton Jazzmaster quartz on SC the other day would fit the bill! They do them in a few colours and sizes I think. I agree the VHP is a good option too though, clever bit of kit for the money.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    What ? For a thousand quid new ? You'd be lucky.
    If I found a new Spring Drive for that money I'd buy it in a flash, But there's no chance.

Certina make some HEQ watches in budget (well within budget)

Don't Oris make some quartz divers in budget too? Although you'd need to add a leather strap for that (or a Longines Hydroconquest quartz, which would be another option).

M

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Why does it need to be quartz? Only reason I can think of maybe is that Dad is aware what services cost and wants to avoid future expense for Son?

Oh, and I may be wrong but I'd have thought most 18yr-olds would prefer a sports watch over a dress watch..
    I am talking him through the pros and cons of each movement and watch style to make sure he doesn't inadvertently rule out anything that might be a better option. So the goalposts could yet move! But thanks for all the suggestions so far, they've been very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Why does it need to be quartz?
    Maintenance, accuracy, service costs, robustness, not running down in a couple of days.... I wouldn't be encouraging an eighteen year old to go mechanical for the sake of it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Maintenance, accuracy, service costs, robustness, not running down in a couple of days.... I wouldn't be encouraging an eighteen year old to go mechanical for the sake of it.
    How do you read 'for the sake of it' or a recommendation for mechanical from my post? I'm curious why Dad is adamant it needs to be quartz. I already mentioned maintenance and servicing costs might be the factor.

^^^ I've now spoken to my mate again and he said it is his son who is adamant that he wants a quartz watch. His son won't wear it every day and doesn't want the hassle of having to set it each time he goes to put it on.

The Longines VHP has gone down well, after he went out at lunchtime to see one.

Craftsman
    Baume and Mercier do some elegant watches in that price range, the Classima, for example. Also, Beaverbrooks have a black dial Tag Formula 1 on a strap for £850.

Let us know what he eventually settles on.

^^^ Apparently he doesn't like the Tag Formula 1s. I gave his dad some more options today so will find out tomorrow what his son thinks of them.

I know there's a lot of Aquaracers around but this look Ok if he can sweet talk a 20% discount

https://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/01130...n-Mens-Watch/p

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

^^^ He apparently doesn't like diver watches or any watch with a numbered bezel, so that's ruled out quite a few options.

From all you’ve said the Longines VHP sounds ideal, you don’t even have to adjust the date!

Gotta say I love mine as a perfect grab and go watch for the office - looks smart, always showing the correct time and date and fantastically accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    From all you’ve said the Longines VHP sounds ideal, you don’t even have to adjust the date!

Gotta say I love mine as a perfect grab and go watch for the office - looks smart, always showing the correct time and date and fantastically accurate.
    Yes, I think the VHP is ideal too, but haven't yet heard what he thinks of it.

What colour dial have you got? Have you got a wrist pic I could show him?

One of these....

Longines Hydroconquest I think they are £760 new.......good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 97BlackC5 View Post
    Longines Hydroconquest I think they are £760 new.......good luck.
    I think if it wasn't for his dislike of diver watches then these would be a very strong candidate.

I think if it wasn't for his dislike of diver watches then these would be a very strong candidate.
    Now that is a shame, can't you convince him otherwise?

Master
    This is 41mm and about 14mm thick, but it wears like my Datejust, quite elegant and wearable anywhere. 5 seconds a year precision and a perpetual Calender. Longines VHP, available with several dials. I find it rather good for £700.

Certainly not a dive watch, no moveable bezel, 5atm. Pleasant watch on the wrist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 21st March 2018 at 11:45.

Now that is a shame, can't you convince him otherwise?
    I don't know him directly, only his dad, so not really. And from my own experience of having two teenagers at home, you have to let them make their own mistakes.

Funnily enough, I had a watch from my grandmother for my 18th birthday. I treasured it and wore it all through my university life and for many years after. But when I look back at it now I wonder what I was thinking. It was a gold-plated, black dialled, rectangular Accurist watch with a built in gold-plated mesh bracelet that constantly left my wrist with green marks. It also had no second hand or minute markers, so how I coped in exams I don't know! I couldn't wear it now, but I know at the time that I loved it. And it is still a treasured reminder of my now deceased grandmother. So you just have to let teenagers decide for themselves!

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    This is 41mm and about 14mm thick, but it wears like my Datejust, quite elegant and wearable anywhere. 5 seconds a year precision and a perpetual Calender. Longines VHP, available with several dials. I find it rather good for £700.

Certainly not a dive watch, no moveable bezel, 5atm. Pleasant watch on the wrist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks for that, really useful.

It's quite a big watch for the style, but I understand he's quite a tall, well-built guy, so that should be fine.

How is the lume on it?

Master
    Thanks for that, really useful.

It's quite a big watch for the style, but I understand he's quite a tall, well-built guy, so that should be fine.

How is the lume on it?
    Pretty good, and that dial is very easy to read. I've been pleased with this watch. It feels a sturdy, substantial thing which will age well. Battery change every four to five years. I bought it as a 'fit and forget' watch. The blue dial version is nice.

Here's a wrist shot of mine:

Its substantial but not over-sized. Agree with paskinner - lume is good, readability excellent.

I don't know him directly, only his dad, so not really. And from my own experience of having two teenagers at home, you have to let them make their own mistakes.

Funnily enough, I had a watch from my grandmother for my 18th birthday. I treasured it and wore it all through my university life and for many years after. But when I look back at it now I wonder what I was thinking. It was a gold-plated, black dialled, rectangular Accurist watch with a built in gold-plated mesh bracelet that constantly left my wrist with green marks. It also had no second hand or minute markers, so how I coped in exams I don't know! I couldn't wear it now, but I know at the time that I loved it. And it is still a treasured reminder of my now deceased grandmother. So you just have to let teenagers decide for themselves!
    LOL I reckon I had the exact same watch, my parents bought it for me for my 18th I'm pretty sure they got it from Argos. I actually found it about a month ago & tried to put it on but alas my wrist has grown a bit since then. I was a very slim watch & tiny by today's standards but sentimental value........I've still got it, put it back in the draw to be taken out & looked at probably in another 10 years.

Thanks again guys.

Apparently, the decision has been made! He's going with a VHP, but still needs to decide which colour.

I'm rather tempted by one of these myself, but it is probably a bit big for me so I ought to be sensible!

Thanks to everyone for your help with this.

LOL I reckon I had the exact same watch, my parents bought it for me for my 18th I'm pretty sure they got it from Argos. I actually found it about a month ago & tried to put it on but alas my wrist has grown a bit since then. I was a very slim watch & tiny by today's standards but sentimental value........I've still got it, put it back in the draw to be taken out & looked at probably in another 10 years.
    The integrated bracelet has snapped off the case on one side of mine and I don't know if it can be fixed. I'll have to take the back off to see. It would be nice to have it wearable again, just for old times' sake.

What about radio controlled, solar and titanium?

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collec...306-44-jgh-072

I have an older version, which I wore for many years.

Well the watch has now been bought. He went for the black/grey dial 41mm version in the end.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

Craftsman
    Well the watch has now been bought. He went for the black/grey dial 41mm version in the end.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice.
    That was fun, ta for the challenge. I want a VHP myself, now.

With the lad being 18 in 2018 could have maybe tried to get hold of the Gold Coast version ...