closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PSA: Almost 1/2 price TP-Link Smart Plugs today on Amazon

PSA: Almost 1/2 price TP-Link Smart Plugs today on Amazon

I've been following the "smart home" and hive threads on here this past while... and have started to smarten up the house on a budget! These are normally £30 and are £17.99 today on Amazon. Great bits of kit... can link to Alexa and Google Assistant, set themes for controlling multiple plugs at once etc. We use that for the hall and landing table lamps.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HS100-Assis...KD5BHKD23ER68V

Well worth a punt at that price.

Master
    Just ordered it and then cancelled when I read the reviews (should have done that first)

There are a number of pictures that show the device blown and looking like a fire risk. Very small percentage of reviews, but not a risk I want to take

That's not good. I see the top 1* reviewer was using an air con unit off his plug. I wonder was that part of the trouble?... Big current draw. Either way, the internal fuse SHOULD protect.

- - - Updated - - -

(just to clarify... I say SHOULD protect... But obviously didn't in that case)

Master
    I am surprised that Amazon haven't addressed those comments. There are others saying it gets very hot and wouldn't leave it plugged in when out of the house (kind of defeats the object).

Master
    I've got about 10 of these, great price, great product, works really well with Alexa.

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    I am surprised that Amazon haven't addressed those comments. There are others saying it gets very hot and wouldn't leave it plugged in when out of the house (kind of defeats the object).
    I'll be checking mine today. I've one out in the garage controlling the water pump for the pressurised water system. A fire out there would be a major problem.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not entirely sure all the reviews are on the correct model. There's a HS110 and HS100 and the exact same reviews come up for both.

I have a HS100 and it's been faultless - admittedly it only switches two table lamps though.

Going to get another for another lamp.

Master
    Just checked and most don't make it clear which model it is - but then I came across this one:

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thing is, you have no idea whether it's a specific fault, just one faulty unit. Or the product it was attached to was faulty.

Anyway, the only place I can fnd complaints about it at all is Amazon. Granted they probably sell thousands compared to elsewhere but I'd expect a Google search to bring up more results if there was a major issue.

1.5KW is a fair draw is it not.... I've mine mostly running 9W energy bulbs. I have one of the energy monitoring plugs, so I'll be putting that in the garage for an hour or so to see what wattage my water pump draws.

Master
    Agreed - and if it were only that one picture with a 1.5KW appliance, I would probably buy it, but there are a few examples there which is making me think I will find another make or model

I ordered 2 which arrived earlier. I've got one for my PC force feedback steering wheel power and the other for the extension lead for my PC itself. The total load on the second won't exceed 900W so I am well within the maximum load of 2.99kW. I've got them connected to the Alexa skill so I can turn them on and off without reaching under my desk like I had to before.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    1.5KW is a fair draw is it not.... I've mine mostly running 9W energy bulbs. I have one of the energy monitoring plugs, so I'll be putting that in the garage for an hour or so to see what wattage my water pump draws.
    1.5kW is half of the maximum the device is supposed to handle though so it's not an unreasonable load.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    No, it’s quite a lightweight load. Anything rated 13A should cope with that easily.

Craftsman
    I’ve got a couple of these for the heaters in my workshop. One runs a 2Kw heater and the other runs a 3Kw one. Haven’t had any problems with them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SMJ-GHOMA-G...eywords=g+homa