closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Iphone X - 64gb vs 256gb

Iphone X - 64gb vs 256gb

I currently have an iphone 7 with 128gb and approx 28gb space left.

I'm now thinking of getting an X and thinking of downsizing and using icloud instead of getting the larger sized, more expensive one.

Has anyone done anything similar or in this day and age, is 64gb just too low? To be honest, my 7 is full of stuff I should take off anyway (tons of photos I should just stick on my NAS).

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    I currently have an iphone 7 with 128gb and approx 28gb space left.

I'm now thinking of getting an X and thinking of downsizing and using icloud instead of getting the larger sized, more expensive one.

Has anyone done anything similar or in this day and age, is 64gb just too low? To be honest, my 7 is full of stuff I should take off anyway (tons of photos I should just stick on my NAS).
    I went 256, and I do use the cloud as back up. I like the space in case I want to download films or stuff for kids on flights or areas with poor service.

Do they offer 128gb ?

As far as I’m aware no just 64 or 256

I went with 256gb at launch and the price difference wasn’t that much for 4x the capacity

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Do they offer 128gb ?
    No 128gb, only 64gb and 256gb, silly if you ask me.

128g would be bang on for me

Just looked and it’s only £150 difference might as well get the 256gb!

Yeah think I'll go down the 256 route. I'm getting F&F discount of 17% as well so the difference is even less (£125)

Thanks all

Master
    I went through the same thing recently with an iPhone 8. I chose the 64GB version in the end as I wanted to keep the costs as low as possible. Thinking about it now, the 256GB version may have been better as I could put lots of music on it as I've just added some connections in the car to be able to play music via bluetooth which at the time I couldn't do.

But unless you're using it for that and of use, or to have lots of films, programmes etc then I would say the 64GB is enough. After 2 years with my previous 64GB device it still had about 20GB left.

Master

General question

How much crap to people store on their phones?

I'm a little old school in that respect, as mine's kept to a minimum in case I lose it, it would be no great loss.

Just checked it, iPhone SE 16GB, over 6GB free

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    How much crap to people store on their phones?

I'm a little old school in that respect, as mine's kept to a minimum in case I lose it, it would be no great loss.

Just checked it, iPhone SE 16GB, over 6GB free
    Me about 176 Gb into by 256 Gb iPhone X, mostly music thats elsewhere anyhow :)

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    I went through the same thing recently with an iPhone 8. I chose the 64GB version in the end as I wanted to keep the costs as low as possible. Thinking about it now, the 256GB version may have been better as I could put lots of music on it as I've just added some connections in the car to be able to play music via bluetooth which at the time I couldn't do.

But unless you're using it for that and of use, or to have lots of films, programmes etc then I would say the 64GB is enough. After 2 years with my previous 64GB device it still had about 20GB left.
    Thanks - to be fair I think I could have lived with 64gb as I don't need all my itunes library on nor do I need to store tons of podcasts or photos. However, I've ended up getting the 256gb one - even thought of future sale value etc. Hopefully this will do me for 18-24 months anyway. The 7 is the longest I've had a phone at 18 months and have only upgraded as my new car has in built wireless charging

Craftsman
    New to Iphone but jumped on the Apple bandwagon with the 256, I have macbook pro, Imac (have old Ipad but not keen on it) and cloud storage and all work great together, as they should I guess

I did ask the Apple sales girl for advice and her reply was if you are thinking of keeping short term then 64gb would be fine (as I don't store pictures in the cloud) but thought for the extra pounds go for it as you never know and also plan to keep for a couple of years. Have loads of pictures on the phone and only used a tiny fraction of the storage so far, play music but stream from Apple music so no issues on storage

- - - Updated - - -

New to Iphone but jumped on the Apple bandwagon with the 256, I have macbook pro, Imac (have old Ipad but not keen on it) and cloud storage and all work great together, as they should I guess

I did ask the Apple sales girl for advice and her reply was if you are thinking of keeping short term then 64gb would be fine (as I don't store pictures in the cloud) but thought for the extra pounds go for it as you never know and also plan to keep for a couple of years. Have loads of pictures on the phone and only used a tiny fraction of the storage so far, play music but stream from Apple music so no issues on storage

Craftsman
    Got the same quandary.

I have about 55gb used up on my 7plus 128.

But as I remember the OS uses some of the gb so faced with the fact if I get a 64gb it will be almost full on day one.

Always better to have some spare than not have enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawbreaker5000 View Post
    Got the same quandary.

I have about 55gb used up on my 7plus 128.

But as I remember the OS uses some of the gb so faced with the fact if I get a 64gb it will be almost full on day one.
    Before I started setting up this afternoon it showed 233gb available from 256gb

I would take a guess that bit missing is for the operating system.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Yes - that's what I'm alluding to in response to Lawnbreakers comment on the OS taking up space

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Yes - that's what I'm alluding to in response to Lawnbreakers comment on the OS taking up space
    Well............ yeah the OS has to sit somewhere, unless the next gen of iPhones come out with 2 SSDs built in. One for the OS and apps then a second one for user data.

Something you can already do on an Android unit with a high speed SD card

Craftsman
    Thanks for that information.

So it's 256gb or bust !!

I do love Apple products most of the time !!

Always get the biggest capacity I can get my hands on, I'm a complete digital hoarder. My 7 plus is 256gb. I do tend to keep devices for a few years, so I figure it's wise to get the biggest capacity. Recently upgraded my iPad mini retina to the iPad Pro, seeing as my MacBook Pro now sits around gathering dust, went for 512gb.

Recently moved my photo library to iCloud though, so now have stacks of spare storage.

My latest problem is my macbook air only has 128gb. So as soon as it does a backup of the iphone, I'm very close to full disk!

I know this changes my subject but has anyone managed to configure iphone backups to a NAS? I have a 2TB Synology setup. As it stands, my 128gb hard disk is being killed by iphone back (x1) and iphotos

Craftsman
    My first PC had a 210Mb hard drive when most others had around 40Mb. My brother in law said you’d NEVER fill a 210Mb hard drive!