closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Amazon Prime Video - 4k

Amazon Prime Video - 4k

Bit of a weird one. Finally upgraded to Fibre so wanted to test 4k video via Amazon Prime app in built on my Samsung TV. Have seen the 4k options previously in the main menu.

Anyway, logged in last night and there were no 4k options, and I chose something I know you can get in 4k (Top Gear) and it played in HD only. The weird bit, is I logged out of the app and then in the list was 'included in prime - 4k/UHD'. Logged back in/re-registered my TV app and the option goes. So this seems account related. TV is running latest firmware, I even deleted and reinstalled the app.

Spoke with Amazon and they weren't really helpful. Sent some screen prints and a video but no response despite them saying they'd get back within 12hrs yesterday.

Any ideas?

Short version - Unable to see 4k video options in Amazon Prime video app on my TV when logged in

I think I had this on my Samsung TV too but it’s an option you turn on for 4K in the setup menu , it won’t default to 4K which seems bizarre- once it’s on it will.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    I think I had this on my Samsung TV too but it’s an option you turn on for 4K in the setup menu , it won’t default to 4K which seems bizarre- once it’s on it will.
    Do you know where this is? Is it Samsung setup or the app? I couldn't see any setting in the app to do that when i looked yesterday

I can't get my head around why it shows 4k videos in a list when i'm not logged in.

Don’t know whether this will help you at all?

https://hd-report.com/list-of-4k-ult...-amazon-video/

Craftsman
    I think they may still have a "4K UltraHD" channel in the menu.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Annoyingly I didn’t realise my bedroom TV hasn’t the function turned on, will check the downstairs TV tomorrow and will post back. Need to turn it on up here too!

Quote Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
    I think they may still have a "4K UltraHD" channel in the menu.

Thats what I don't have - unless I log out

Logged in

Logged out

The 4k option appears on the bottom pic. Its nowhere when I'm logged in

Craftsman
    The only things I could find mentioned on the Amazon site:

You need an Internet connection of at least 15 Mbps to watch videos in UHD.

You may also need to upgrade the firmware for your compatible Ultra HD TV or streaming device to the latest version. For more information, go to About Updating Your Device Firmware.

Amazon’s apps can be very unintuitive IMO. It’s very easy to look up a programme, and it only shows the HD version. The 4K version is often in a completely different menu, and involves a certain amount of messing around.

The other issue I have had is that they have central preference attached to your account. I recently tried to set up a Fire Stick and it defaulted to US news and TV, so I wasn’t able to use iPlayer etc. I thought it was a setting in the menu, but after 30min of pissing around, I ended up ringing the Amazon helpline. It turned out that as the first time I ever used Amazon, I bought something from the US site (about 17 years ago), and therefore I was flagged as a US user (despite having Amazon Prime with the UK site).

They altered this setting, and all was then ok.

Master
    Standard subscription doesn’t include 4k. You need ‘premium’.
    It’s an extra £2 per month.

Master
    Also just watch that the inbuilt app actually supports 4k . Many of them may not, you might have to buy the 4k version of firetv .

Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    Standard subscription doesn’t include 4k. You need ‘premium’.
    It’s an extra £2 per month.
    That’s netflix not amazon

My fibre is running at approx 35mbps so speed is fine. The app is capable of running 4K as you can see in the list when logged out.

I’ve accessed 4K content before as tried this previously when a thread was running about 4K sources although it did default to lower quality - but I went in via the 4K menu. My TV is a 2017 model and definitely listed as a 4K compatible one for Amazon. I can play 4K YouTube fine.

As I say it used to be there when I was logged in but isn’t anymore. If it wasn’t there when I logged out I would suggest an app issue but it’s doing my head in.

Most of the content on Prime Video looks like VHS. I love it!

There are two versions of the programme in the app. You need to select the 4K version. It normally takes around 10 seconds to switch from 1080 to 4ak once you've started to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    There are two versions of the programme in the app. You need to select the 4K version. It normally takes around 10 seconds to switch from 1080 to 4ak once you've started to watch.
    That’s the issue - I don’t have the 4K version visible when logged in.

Can’t you try setting up another amazon account on the 30 day free trial and try that, then you will know if it’s the tv or the account, I had this with Netflix and Panasonic, watched Netflix 4K fine then Panasonic released a software update to watch 4K discs and we lost the 4K app

Quote Originally Posted by Robti View Post
    Can’t you try setting up another amazon account on the 30 day free trial and try that, then you will know if it’s the tv or the account, I had this with Netflix and Panasonic, watched Netflix 4K fine then Panasonic released a software update to watch 4K discs and we lost the 4K app
    Fair point. I’ll give this a try. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Robti View Post
    Well - tried this and it worked OK with a new account. So is definitely account specific.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Thats what I don't have - unless I log out

Logged in

Logged out

The 4k option appears on the bottom pic. Its nowhere when I'm logged in
    I know this is a stupid question, but have you tried scrolling down? There's more than just the three rows of telly. Apologies if you have!

Quote Originally Posted by SockToy View Post
    I know this is a stupid question, but have you tried scrolling down? There's more than just the three rows of telly. Apologies if you have!
    Haha. No problem.

Yes I have. Was just showing the menus as same. But yes I have and nothing there.

I was just looking at this on my 4K LG TV. Amazon have definitely changed the app to hide the UHD offerings. To find them I had to go the TV tab and scroll down 42 rows to get to the 4K Ultra HD TV row. If I filter to show "Included with Prime" only (green button), I have to scroll down 19 rows. There are 26 TV shows offered in 4K. I'm sure there used to be more than that.

Master
    My Sony Amazon Video looks like the above images. I use it via my Prime membership. I have the rows, from the top - down, as follows:-

• Featured
    • Watch Next
    • Included with Prime - Popular Movies
    • Included with Prime - 4K Ultra HD TV

The last being where I find them

Master
    My 4k Sony works fine with it, 4k versions of programmes are shown separately. To be honest (I have 70mbs fibre) it doesn't look a great deal better than the 1080, I suspect conversions etc. are having an effect, the 4k Prime being a lot poorer than my 4k Bluray for example

My PS4 won't show the 4k versions at all, but suspect as the PS4 doesn't support native 4k that's why

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    My Sony Amazon Video looks like the above images. I use it via my Prime membership. I have the rows, from the top - down, as follows:-

• Featured
    • Watch Next
    • Included with Prime - Popular Movies
    • Included with Prime - 4K Ultra HD TV

The last being where I find them
    That's definitely how it was on the LG WebOS app up until the last update. The UHD programming is now buried at the bottom of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I was just looking at this on my 4K LG TV. Amazon have definitely changed the app to hide the UHD offerings. To find them I had to go the TV tab and scroll down 42 rows to get to the 4K Ultra HD TV row. If I filter to show "Included with Prime" only (green button), I have to scroll down 19 rows. There are 26 TV shows offered in 4K. I'm sure there used to be more than that.
    Interesting. I’m away at the moment but will have another look when I get back. Amazon said they’d get back to me within 12 hours. They didn’t. I chased. They still haven’t responded. Disappointed.

I’ve searched for 4K and it brings up some programmes by name but select and it only plays in HD.

Interesting. I’m away at the moment but will have another look when I get back. Amazon said they’d get back to me within 12 hours. They didn’t. I chased. They still haven’t responded. Disappointed.

I’ve searched for 4K and it brings up some programmes by name but select and it only plays in HD.
    Searching doesn’t bring up UHD programmes. The only way I could find them on either the Apple TV 4K or LG TV app was scrolling down the list of TV programmes. Once I’d found a UHD programme (on my Apple TV 4K), I added it to my wish list. It then appeared in the wish list on the LG TV app which made it easy to access.

Amazon now have a forum where people have posted similar issues:

https://uk.amazonforum.com/forums/di...t/amazon-video

Tested it when I got back. Finally found it waaaaaay down the list

Didn’t count down to it as got bored so counted back. Got to 95 rows before the app crashed.

Therefore it’s at LEAST 95 rows down. What the hell?

Master
    Tested it when I got back. Finally found it waaaaaay down the list

Didn’t count down to it as got bored so counted back. Got to 95 rows before the app crashed.

Therefore it’s at LEAST 95 rows down. What the hell?
    More patience than me, gave up about 60.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    More patience than me, gave up about 60.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Only thing that kept me going was getting to about 50 rows and seeing 'Rent or Buy 4k movies'.

Absolutely bizarre what's been done though.