closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cartier Drive extra flat

Cartier Drive extra flat

Thinking again about something a bit dressy to balance the usual sport watch subjects, I find myself thinking a lot about this (Pics from Hodinkee):

Available in September at $5600, or about £4000. Ultra thin Piaget derived movement and 38mm. It is mostly dial, so at 38mm might wear quite large, but other than that I think it looks great, and horologically, it seems to have something about it.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was working with someone wearing a Cartier Drive recently, and the dial's qualities were evident from yards away, properly radiant.

Craftsman
    It’s stunning. I’ve only seen one before, but I totally agree there is definitely something about it.

I think it gets less attention purely because of it’s more traditional dress style, and sports watches always create more fever. I have a penchant for dress watches though so I’m definitely biased.

At that price I also prefer the original Drive de Cartier. More interesting dial, small seconds, date. No Piaget movement, although still in-house (giveth/taketh).

Craftsman
    Its definitely a nice watch, but probably one where you have to see it in person to enjoy its subtleties.

Craftsman
    Save for the original gold version!! Ooh-err look at that sunken subdial!

Quote Originally Posted by axb601 View Post
    Save for the original gold version!! Ooh-err look at that sunken subdial!

Think it’s a little subtler in real life, rather like these

I much prefer the original version, having said that, if I was in the market, I'd want to see/try them side by side if I could.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    I've never liked gold watches before now. Never seen a Cartier Drive before but that is gorgeous. I'll be searching the forums for one now! ;-)

Master
    I really like what Cartier are doi g these days. I had a two tone auto Ballon Bleu a couple of years ago, tt not my thing but the dial and sapphire were stunning. would love another in rose gold. But, that original Drive looks lovely!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Agree that the gold drive is amazing. I have a TT Cartier and the small gold bits are really quite subtle with quite a matte finish. My then gf liked it so much I bought her the ladies version for her 40th. Well, if it is good enough for Michelle Obama....

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I really like this range but came to the conclusion I just wouldn't wear it enough to have £4/5 grand stuck in one. I would prefer a non-jewelled crown also but since I'm not buying it doesn't really matter.

The whole of the Drive range is bloody gorgeous. I would agree with the jewelled crown comment but don't know how visible this design signature is in real life/on the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    The whole of the Drive range is bloody gorgeous. I would agree with the jewelled crown comment but don't know how visible this design signature is in real life/on the wrist.
    That they are. The jewelled crown better fits the gold versions as they are more showy (in a good way). Also, you got to love those blued steel hands.

Master
    I persuaded a friend to buy the original stainless Drive, because I knew he wanted it and just needed some encouragement. At £5k, it wasn't cheap - they're a bit more now - but it's a beautiful & noticeable watch.

It's big & thin. It has a fine & complex dial (whether guilloche or stamped). Its numerals & blue hands shout Cartier. And it looks very good on the wrist.

His only complaint is that the strap & folding clasp are too long for his wrist. Perhaps the new model would suit him better.

That said, its dial just isn't as good as the original.
    Last edited by Tinker; 20th March 2018 at 00:26.