closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vietnam trip - North and Central. Tips?

Vietnam trip - North and Central. Tips?

Hi all,
    Girlfriend and I are going for 2 weeks on Thursday next week, flying in and out of Hanoi - I have a copy of lonely planet and been reading stuff online, but anyone been and wish to offer recommendations/steer clear of’s etc?

Very loose plan was see Hanoi, then Ha Long bay, then fly down to Danang, see Hoi An, Hue and Phong-something National Park, and work our way back up the coast toward Hanoi.
    Possibly hire a motorbike for a day or 2, prefer seeing and doing stuff rather than sat on a beach (although an odd day is fine).

Really appreciate any tips!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Possibly hire a motorbike for a day or 2, prefer seeing and doing stuff rather than sat on a beach (although an odd day is fine).
    Have a look at this. It explains the motor bike situation much better than I can.

https://vietnammotorbikerental.com/v...riving-license

Also note that the "road rules" are regarded by locals as more a set of loose guidelines, mostly to be ignored. So don't expect vehicles to actually stop at red lights or to give way. Vietnam takes the term "defensive riding" to a whole new level. You will also quickly realise how useful the horn is. Pedestrian crossings are simply some interesting white lines painted on the road.

All of the places you mentioned are worth a visit. I can recommend that while in Hà Nội you stay in a hotel in the Old Quarter.

My daughter-in-law is from Hà Nội (lives in Australia with my son and grandsons) and I visit her parents regularly. When I am not staying with family I have stayed at the Bodega Hotel at 133 Hang Bong Street Hoan Kiem District. You can get a 1 bedroom standard double room, with breakfast and no credit card fees, for A$26 per night. I have also stayed at the Hà Nội Holiday Diamond Hotel, 5 Nguyen Sieu Street Hoan Kiem District. A$41 per night will get you a standard double or twin room that sleeps 3 and breakfast.

The Bodega and the Holiday Diamond are within easy walking distance of all the main things to see in the capital. I can recommend a visit to "Bia Hoi Corner" at the intersection of Ta Hien and Luong Ngoc Quyen in the Old Quarter. Bia Hoi is fresh beer tapped from barrels and will cost you around A$0.25 for a large glass. Sit on plastic stools and watch the street culture.

It is worthwhile booking your transit from Nội Bài airport into the Old Quarter through the hotel where you choose to stay. It will be much cheaper than a normal taxi and you won't get ripped off.

Tận hưởng chuyến đi nhé! Enjoy your trip!

PS, you are thinking of Phong Nha-Kẻ Bàng National Park. Again, well worth a visit.
    Last edited by Camsfirie; 18th March 2018 at 22:41.

Watch the Top Gear Vietnam special.

Thanks both!
    And yes, saw the Top Gear one - will be getting myself a sharp suit or smoking jacket made....

As you work your way north from Hue, take a few pictures as you reach the south side of the mouth of the Cua Viet River. I was deployed there for about a month in early 1967. I'd love to see what it looks like now!

I had the benefit of a 1 day cruise round Halong Bay on the Emeraude and I see they are now doing 3 day versions. That was very special.

http://www.emeraude-cruises.com/

I had the Wallpaper guide which helped me find a few places (it appears to be out of print) but I also had the benefit of a colleague who acted as a personal guide for much of the first week in Hanoi. I still remember fondly one special meal of snails in a shack next to a level crossing - there is no way in a month of Sundays I would have tried that without an inside tip.

The other highlight was meeting the artist Vu Dan Tan in his salon and buying a couple of things from him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C5%A9_D%C3%A2n_T%C3%A2n
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 19th March 2018 at 08:05.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

If your in hoi an for two days or more you have got to get a tailored suit!! You can get a cashmere/wool,silk lined made to measure suit for roughly £100. It's brilliant

Blog Entries
    Vietnam is the most beautiful place I have ever been.

Hanoi, Hoi An and HCMC, all very different and great. Hoi An is stunning and we met some of the most loveliest people I have met.

You will have a fantastic time, happy to chat if required.

Pitch

Master
    Blog Entries
    Id highly recommend Ninh Binh/Tam Coc. Also known as "Ha Long Bay on dry land" - for my money a better experience than Ha Long. Boat/grotto/temple trips and especially a visit to the Lying Dragon Mountain on the top of the limestone island are a must. Just Google images of thrm all to see what I mean.

Sapa is worth the trip if you have time - you can catch the sleeper train both ways to save time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Vietnam is the most beautiful place I have ever been.

Hanoi, Hoi An and HCMC, all very different and great. Hoi An is stunning and we met some of the most loveliest people I have met.

You will have a fantastic time, happy to chat if required.

Pitch

Great pics, but you left one of your trip to Holland in there..........:)
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Great pics, but you left one of your trip to Holland in there..........:)
    Here are some more and yep it does look Dutch.

The hotel in Hoi An had free bikes so cycled a couple of times into the padi’s and the veg farms in the countryside, it was amazing and very very hot. Stopping in the way chatting to the locals was great fun.

The roads were very basic linking the villages as you can see.

blogger image hosting

As previously mentioned Hoi An is wonderful and the people super friendly.