closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone have any experience of an F-Pace please.

Blog Entries

Anyone have any experience of an F-Pace please.

Not as exciting as a Ferrari I'll grant you, but honestly asking for experience and views on them. Not expecting to outperform much but be nice to know how owners found them.

Thanks.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We looked last year when I was selling the Disco 4, I did not compare the the two as that would be unfair. The one I sat in was a showroom car but I just did not like it, it was cramped inside and with the dark headlining it was like a cave. We took one out on the road it was just the same as most JLR 2.0 diesels adequate nothing more.

I’ve a friend who had one whilst his disco was being repaired after an accident. He wasn’t particularly impressed in comparison to the LR. Mainly due to its smaller size.

I do like the look of them though.

Style is so last year.
    All the cool kids are going back to the lower sleeker estates...

Certain models looks quite nice outside but the interior is terribly disappointing for the money IMO. I’d much sooner have a Q5.

Felt very cramped for me and felt nothing special.
    Went for a Volkswagen Touareg in the end.

Grand Master
    I can grasp the reasoning behind the rugged 4 wheel drive SUVs if you live in a hilly rural area likely to suffer with snow and ice, but other than that I just don`t see the attraction. We're looking for another car to replace wife's 9 yr old Fiesta, I had a look at a couple of SUV- type vehicles and once again I was left scratching my head. An estate car makes far more sense if you're looking for capacity.

Try as I might I can`t see it, am I missing something?

Merc GLC?
    I think the F pace looks ok but seems a lot of car for a 2.0 ....the 3.0 one probably much nicer to drive

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I can grasp the reasoning behind the rugged 4 wheel drive SUVs if you live in a hilly rural area likely to suffer with snow and ice, but other than that I just don`t see the attraction. We're looking for another car to replace wife's 9 yr old Fiesta, I had a look at a couple of SUV- type vehicles and once again I was left scratching my head. An estate car makes far more sense if you're looking for capacity.

Try as I might I can`t see it, am I missing something?
    For many people, the attractions are:

1. Ease of entry and exit
    2. High driving position gives better view, increasing the perception of safety
    3. Feeling of spaciousness (even if it's only a feeling) caused by increased headroom makes the car larger than its actual footprint

In short a Paul, yes.

SWMBO loved her ML because she felt safer driving it and felt that, being higher, she had better visibility.

I personally like estate cars, SWMBO hates then. It’s just personal preference.

At the end of the day though, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    For many people, the attractions are:

1. Ease of entry and exit
    2. High driving position gives better view, increasing the perception of safety
    3. Feeling of spaciousness (even if it's only a feeling) caused by increased headroom makes the car larger than its actual footprint

You covered all the bases there. The SUV experience seems to be driven by female drivers who are much more concerned about those issues than the actual handling of the cars.

Craftsman

One of my mates bought a new white 2.0D F-Pace last year at about £38k I think. A year on he is now a bit underwhelmed with it. Big on the outside but not so big on the inside. The satnav is so bad that he uses an app on his phone most of the time. He’s had a few quality niggles with it - nothing major and dealer has fixed them but the messing about to and fro has been a downer. It’s a nice car to be in and he still likes the look of it plus it attracts lots of positive comments from others. However the F-Pace will go this year (earlier than planned) and he’s looking elsewhere as it’s put him off JLR products - not helped as it looks like he will be taking a £ hit on it.
    Last edited by donny; 18th March 2018 at 21:36.

Master
    One of the guys on a car forum I frequent bought a new one and ended up rejecting it and getting his money back, unimpressed was an understatement, his words not mine. I have had no personal experience of these but after his experience I wouldn’t want to.

Grand Master
    Ease of getting in and out is one of the pluses I can understand, at 60 I’m finding I don’t bend as easily as I once did even though I’m still a slim bloke. Getting in the back if 2 door cars is a whole lot harder after a knee op!

I’ve actually tried to like these cars, I’ve looked hard to see what I’m missing........and I’m still looking. We need a reasonably spacious car for wifey to cart grandaughter, pushchair and labrador around in, but the smaller SUV things really don’t cut it so it’ll be a Ford Focus or something a bit bigger. All I can see with the SUVs is drawbacks, just can’t see any pluses and most of them are pretty ugly. Can’t help thinking most of them are a bit of a fashion statement, I’d think long and hard about committing to ownership.

I’m a big fan of Jaguar cars......but I’d give the F-Pace a miss. Ironically, the only problem with the cars is lack of practicality ( limited boot space), otherwise they’re fine. Surprised the XF estate didn’t do better, but they’re a rare sight on the roads.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 18th March 2018 at 21:57.

Test drove a 3 back to back with a Macan. Sounded nice but felt the roll even at low speeds. Wouldn't recommend, though didn't live with it for any extended period

Lot of complaints about the infotainment online

Blog Entries
    Ease of getting in and out is one of the pluses I can understand, at 60 I’m finding I don’t bend as easily as I once did even though I’m still a slim bloke. Getting in the back if 2 door cars is a whole lot harder after a knee op!

I’ve actually tried to like these cars, I’ve looked hard to see what I’m missing........and I’m still looking. We need a reasonably spacious car for wifey to cart grandaughter, pushchair and labrador around in, but the smaller SUV things really don’t cut it so it’ll be a Ford Focus or something a bit bigger. All I can see with the SUVs is drawbacks, just can’t see any pluses and most of them are pretty ugly. Can’t help thinking most of them are a bit of a fashion statement, I’d think long and hard about committing to ownership.

I’m a big fan of Jaguar cars......but I’d give the F-Pace a miss. Ironically, the only problem with the cars is lack of practicality ( limited boot space), otherwise they’re fine. Surprised the XF estate didn’t do better, but they’re a rare sight on the roads.

Paul
    Different strokes I suppose.

I do go off-road at times, mostly farm tracks, but sometimes it can get messy so 4x4 and a bit more ground clearance help.
    I don’t want or need a Defender though, so a soft/roader is fine for my needs.
    Had a Nissan x-trail and that was fine and have an Evoque atm and yes it takes the dog and gear I need.
    Might be looking to trade it in soon hence the question.

Apprentice
    Unless you need the space in the back seats get a Macan. Mate has one of the Jags but he gets it through sponsorship deal so drives the R. I looked at both and pathetic rear space aside the Porsche is the better bet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CalicoJack View Post
    Unless you need the space in the back seats get a Macan. Mate has one of the Jags but he gets it through sponsorship deal so drives the R. I looked at both and pathetic rear space aside the Porsche is the better bet.
    We do use the space in the back seats for luggage when we go away in the UK. The boot is Freddie the spaniels domain. The Macan is nice but basic spec is circa 46k without many toys. Ok if you want the extra power/speed/handling but tbh I probably wouldn't use it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Certain models looks quite nice outside but the interior is terribly disappointing for the money IMO. I’d much sooner have a Q5.
    Are you buying that with the 1.5k profit you just made out of a forum member.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Volvomanuk View Post
    Are you buying that with the 1.5k profit you just made out of a forum member.

Perhaps you could continue that in the BP rather than on this thread. Thanks.

I think that the F-Pace will date very quickly IMO, both exterior and interior looked OK when first launched but are already starting to show their age - as I said, my personal opinion only and I've never even driven let alone owned one.

I had a good prod around a number of SUVs last week, no drives (at a motorshow) but was able to form an opinion on design, quality, comfort and perceived interior space, even how intuitive the infotainment/control systems were. Based on all that I'd be looking at what Volvo has to offer, even the smaller XC40 felt bigger inside that the vehicle looked, and I swear it had better leg room, if not shoulder room, than in the back of a Range Rover, and that's with the driver's seat set for my shortarse 5' 8" height.
    Last edited by CardShark; 19th March 2018 at 13:02.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Perhaps you could continue that in the BP rather than on this thread. Thanks.
    Noted.

But I did drop a few more in before I got board.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I think that the F-Pace will date very quickly IMO, both exterior and interior looked OK when first launched but are already starting to show their age - as I said, my personal opinion only and I've never even driven let alone owned one.

I had a good prod around a number of SUVs last week, no drives (at a motorshow) but was able to form an opinion on design, quality, comfort and perceived interior space, even how intuitive the infotainment/control systems were. Based on all that I'd be looking at what Volvo has to offer, even the smaller XC40 felt bigger inside that the vehicle looked, and I swear it had better leg room, if not shoulder room, than in the back of a Range Rover, and that's with the driver's seat set for my shortarse 5' 8" height.
    Thanks hadn't thought of those at all.

Apprentice
    The XC40 would deffo be on my shortlist.

I had an extended test drive of the 2.0D on a LR jolly day. I thought it was a nice drive, but nothing amazing. The full length glass sunroof makes the cabin nice and airy.

Word of warning if you’re thinking of the 3.0 supercharged petrol - they were used a “rally cars” and thrashed around by professional drivers on the day. Impressively fast but they were hammered - be careful if you are purchasing an ex LR demo!

Master
    Unlike everyone who has commented, we actually have one (Mrs mowflows sprog and horse transporter).

I can't remember the exact model but its a 2.0 diesel 4wd. We've had it about 6 months and nothing has broken or fallen off. It feels big to drive but its not any more spacious than a mid sized saloon although the boot is quite large. Standard spec is miserable yet they include pointless tat like jaguar logo puddle lights as standard so they end up costing way more than they should once you add basic stuff like xenon's, folding mirrors etc. The tech (nav etc) is rubbish as someone else mentioned.

In summary. The wife loves it cause she thinks its a bit flash. I'm completely indifferent to it in the same way as I'm indifferent to our fridge, washing machine etc. It does annoy me that we could definitely have got something as good if not a lot better for a fair bit less.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

Paul
    Our last car was a VW Touran people carrier, and I now have a Volvo XC60 (moved to rural Norfolk so seemed like a good idea). Honestly the Touran was much more spacious inside - not an attractive car as basically it’s a van with seats, but that’s why they’re so spacious. In comparison the XC60 is much smaller inside with a huge turning circle - much slicker looking, much more powerful but less practical. The recent snow showed the extra ground clearance can be useful, but I also have a newish Fiesta ecoboost and that drove fine in the same conditions. I think the SUV thing is more about a sense of size/superiority and showing off really and not sure I’ll get another. As an aside, when you compare a people carrier with an estate, the people carriers offer more space in a smaller footprint and are much more practical. On the downside you look like a mum on the school run as opposed to a rugged adventurer, but if you just want a practical car they are a much better proposition imho. Of course if you live in a genuinely rural area with dirt tracks a 4x4 may be the only option, but most of them live in Waitrose car parks!

Quote Originally Posted by CalicoJack View Post
    The XC40 would deffo be on my shortlist.
    Interesting timing. We've been looking at our first SUV acquisition and the XC40 is now top of the list.

With a budget of early £30's it was going to be a Tiguan R Line but having compared the two the VW seems very ordinary inside. We are thinking it was definitely worth the extra £3k after discounts.

Also considering the XC60 which gives a little more space for the money but not a lot. You do get a posher interior though.

Was impressed with the ride quality and refinement of the Kodiaq but it's not an especially good looking car unless you go Sportline trim. Which is nearly Volvo territory in terms of cost.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    Interesting timing. We've been looking at our first SUV acquisition and the XC40 is now top of the list.

With a budget of early £30's it was going to be a Tiguan R Line but having compared the two the VW seems very ordinary inside. We are thinking it was definitely worth the extra £3k after discounts.

Also considering the XC60 which gives a little more space for the money but not a lot. You do get a posher interior though.

Was impressed with the ride quality and refinement of the Kodiaq but it's not an especially good looking car unless you go Sportline trim. Which is nearly Volvo territory in terms of cost.

Thats interesting, seems you're on a similar journey! Hadn't thought about the xc40 until mentioned on here but it does look good for specs and reviews. Never that fond of VW tbh though. Had an Evoque for the last 2 years and it's been better than I thought it would be. I never liked the look of them until I went to look at the Discovery Sport and the salesman said why not try the Evoque. Drove them both back to back and the Evoque was much better. Drove like a roller skate on steroids compared to the D Sport.

Anyway was thinking of getting another Evoque later in the year but some friends have F-Pace's so wanted to find out a bit more about them. Now we might have to consider a few different options!

Be nice to know what you find.

Ian.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    Unlike everyone who has commented, we actually have one (Mrs mowflows sprog and horse transporter).

I can't remember the exact model but its a 2.0 diesel 4wd. We've had it about 6 months and nothing has broken or fallen off. It feels big to drive but its not any more spacious than a mid sized saloon although the boot is quite large. Standard spec is miserable yet they include pointless tat like jaguar logo puddle lights as standard so they end up costing way more than they should once you add basic stuff like xenon's, folding mirrors etc. The tech (nav etc) is rubbish as someone else mentioned.

In summary. The wife loves it cause she thinks its a bit flash. I'm completely indifferent to it in the same way as I'm indifferent to our fridge, washing machine etc. It does annoy me that we could definitely have got something as good if not a lot better for a fair bit less.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk
    Thanks, sort of agrees with what I found regarding equipment and spec.

Blog Entries
    Had a test drive in an XC40 today. Nice ride and cabin was pretty good. Usual big screen sat nav etc. Was an auto, apparently they only do the 190hp in auto, diesel or petrol. Only thing letting it down was the sloppy take off when pulling away. Was like an old auto sloshing away until enough drive happened. Can't believe it was right so might have to try another. Good spec and prices though.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post

Only the Tiguan is a much better ride/drive than the Volvo, and for some reason much better than the Skoda.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Well we went for a test drive at Jaguar and bought one. But not the F-pace, it's smaller new brother the E-pace! Decided that it was plenty big enough for two of us and mad Freddie the spaniel. Drives nice and has all the toys, half of which I'll probably never know about let alone use!

So thanks all for your comments and help.

Looks nice mate. Enjoy!

Blog Entries
    They do look nice - and I really like your colour OOK. I saw a whole convoy of them (all on trade plates) southbound on the M40 nr Oxford/Bicester around 4:30pm today.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Looks nice mate. Enjoy!
    Thanks I think we will! A long way from my first car, a 1965 Ford Corsair 1500!

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    They do look nice - and I really like your colour OOK. I saw a whole convoy of them (all on trade plates) southbound on the M40 nr Oxford/Bicester around 4:30pm today.
    Thanks, nearly had the same colour on the last car as Landrover use the same colours, but went for Indus Silver instead. Really like the darker colour on this one with the black grille surround as well.
    I think they will be popular with people who don’t need the extra size of the F-pace.

Craftsman
    Nice car, looks very nice in that colour