closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rolex stainless steel shortage reasons?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    If it's marketing it makes no sense. The watches that are in short supply, in the UK, are some of the best selling entry-level models. Why restrict those, they've been top sellers for decades.
    Why not restrict Rose Gold Yachtmasters or Platinum Daytona's –*that's where the big profits are.

Rolex UK's profits have also risen 41%, coinciding with a weaker pound, and a lack of popular professional models in shop windows. So there's really no restriction of supply according to the balance sheets. Rolex UK are shifting the units.

http://www.watchpro.com/breaking-new...-rocket-41-uk/
    Chris, read the first sentences of your two paragraphs together. Seems like their strategy is in fact working pretty well...

“Hi, I really, really, really want a steel Daytona”

”Sorry sir, no chance, but has Sir seen this lovely white gold version?”

Master
    Could the emerging middle and upper classes of India and China be causing a drain on luxury items in general? e.g. the middle class in India and China has doubled over the last decade to, India 300m and China 700m.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Could the emerging middle and upper classes of India and China be causing a drain on luxury items in general? e.g. the middle class in India and China has doubled over the last decade to, India 300m and China 700m.
    Have you been on the Rolex group on FB run by Matt Forehand? Far East: endless, endless pictures of mega-collections of Rolex. If they were ever to hit the market in a short time-scale, prices would drop sharply.

Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    Don’t Ferrari shutdown production for a month in the summer? Doesn’t do them any harm.
    Many car manufactures in Europe inc Fiat and BMW close for a month in summer.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman
    A little while back I went to a talk given by Stuart Gartner of Norton Motorcycles, he said that they deliberately keep supply and the prices high, it encourages the price of the second hand market and ensures a steady supply of new punters for motorbikes on the grounds that they will never loose money, does this sound at all familiar?
    Coincidentally Norton are sponsored by Bremont!! says it all really :-)

Was a good talk mind you

Scottie

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    How long do you think it would take someone with no previous purchase history to get a stainless Daytona or Sky Dweller at list price from an AD if they went in to enquire today then?
    Fair point in isolation but those are two pinnacle pieces which aren't representative of Rolex sales overall; I just don't get the overall hype about Rolex=unobtainium when they shift >1m pieces a year.

These are high demand luxury items - the same applies to getting a top of the range Ferrari, or latest Hermes bag...why should Rolex be any different for the most desirable models.

I'm not saying there's nothing in your argument- indeed I agree with you in large part - my point is more that the claimed shortage is OVER-hyped when you consider how many they sell, and that the reality is that the vast majority of models - including SS divers - are easier to get than most people imagine.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelgecko View Post
    Fair point in isolation but those are two pinnacle pieces which aren't representative of Rolex sales overall; I just don't get the overall hype about Rolex=unobtainium when they shift >1m pieces a year.

These are high demand luxury items - the same applies to getting a top of the range Ferrari, or latest Hermes bag...why should Rolex be any different for the most desirable models.

I'm not saying there's nothing in your argument- indeed I agree with you in large part - my point is more that the claimed shortage is OVER-hyped when you consider how many they sell, and that the reality is that the vast majority of models - including SS divers - are easier to get than most people imagine.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    I'd certainly agree that it isn't anything like the entire range that there's an issue with.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Don’t forget that visitors from other countries have been buying up all the UK watches due to the pound being low since the referendum. And this is on top of the standard economics of low supply meaning higher profit margins for desirable products. Sometimes it seems they could sell a few more without them losing their aura of exclusivity, but they’ve been playing this game for a while now, producing a huge volume of watches, and yet achieving famously high used values. They probably know what they’re doing!
    On certain models it's not a UK only phenomenon... not sure you can get a steel Daytona anywhere for example.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scottie2345 View Post
    A little while back I went to a talk given by Stuart Gartner of Norton Motorcycles, he said that they deliberately keep supply and the prices high, it encourages the price of the second hand market and ensures a steady supply of new punters for motorbikes on the grounds that they will never loose money, does this sound at all familiar?
    Coincidentally Norton are sponsored by Bremont!! says it all really :-)

Was a good talk mind you

Scottie
    Bremont are no longer in partnership with Norton and haven't been for a while.

Craftsman
    It's a mental strategy whatever it is.

I'd happily buy a Daytona at 9k if they were readily available - they should be, we're a couple of years into their production run. I may even buy one at 10-11k if there wasn't anything else in that price bracket I preferred.

I honestly can't see what they stand to benefit by creating hype/demand, it doesn't make me want to buy one of their other watches and they're not profiting from the inflated grey market prices.

Rolex - decide on a price, make the watch available.
    Last edited by Chairman LMAO; 25th March 2018 at 13:58.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    How long do you think it would take someone with no previous purchase history to get a stainless Daytona or Sky Dweller at list price from an AD if they went in to enquire today then?
    For a Daytona, in the UK, with zero purchase history? I doubt you would ever get one. That's assuming they actually accept your name.

Master
    Presumably the fact that people and businesses are now trading watches for a profit is a big factor. Not sure how long Watchfinder and C24 have been operating and how big they are now compared to a few years ago.

I’m sure there has always been an element of trading but prices and profits on SS Rolex make it very lucrative nowadays.