closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WoS, Regent St raided

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    -Grad - град (Old Russian) город (Russian) - town, city, ie Leningrad.

The Times, year 2016.

LINK (paywall)

Let those anti-Russophobic comments roll in chaps. After all, racism is racism in any shape or form, innit?

The times used Londongrad in an article about Russian capital in London. The context fits the use of the term.

What was the context for using Londonstan in a thread about a jewelry store raid?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    That doesn’t work when you are trying to paint someone as a racist though.

It also happens to be the name of a best selling book that I would recommend.
    Talking through your arse

Master
    Meanwhile....a list of the stolen watches may now be found in the L&F thread.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I do wonder whether certain posters ever stop to consider the likely effect of inflammatory or provocative remarks (in and out of the BP) on forum members here who are from an ethnic minority and / or are Muslims.
    +1.

It certainly has an effect.

Craftsman
    That's quite a haul, must be close to £500k worth of stock.

Master
    -Grad - град (Old Russian) город (Russian) - town, city, ie Leningrad.

The Times, year 2016.

LINK (paywall)

Let those anti-Russophobic comments roll in chaps. After all, racism is racism in any shape or form, innit?
    That's not racist, both UK and Russia are predominately caucasian. Xenophobic would be a better word

Master
    I find it rather disturbing that Islam has been mentioned in this thread.

Once again the work of the terrorist groups (who are fundamentally un-Islamic) is being done for them.

I do wonder whether certain posters ever stop to consider the likely effect of inflammatory or provocative remarks (in and out of the BP) on forum members here who are from an ethnic minority and / or are Muslims.
    Many terrorist groups may be fundamentally un-Islamic in their actions, but they are driven in the name of Islam.

As to the effects of remarks, that depends on the person and the thickness of their skin

Off topic I know but what is BP?

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    It's a portmanteau of London and Pakistan, recognising the number of immigrants from a different culture.
    Have you ever been to London ?

I only ask as having lived in London for 60 years there's always been immigrants and most Londoners don't have a problem, it's just the "new" arrivals from other parts of the country that seem bothered .

Here's a picture of my childhood sweetshop in Chelsea, early sixties, Mrs Kibbles. The two boys are George Kartrieber wearing white shirt with bow and arrow and Des Szubanski with the dustbin lid. Good old traditional London names.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    The suffix 'stan' just means, land, place or country. Therefore Londonistan means the place of the Londoners. There are many examples, Hindhustan, Kazakstan etc. Many words from other languages get used in english. e.g. cafe, veranda, bungalow, kaput......
    Don't forget the "Dens".... Neasden, Willesden and Harlesden, real bandit country.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Here's a picture of my childhood sweetshop in Chelsea, early sixties, Mrs Kibbles. The two boys are George Kartrieber wearing white shirt with bow and arrow and Des Szubanski with the dustbin lid..
    OT, what a brilliant picture. Were they waiting for nan’s cat to break cover? Happy days - do kids still make bows and arrows?

Sympathies to the staff affected by another horrible robbery, and indeed anyone working in a jewellers who has to worry about this kind of thing.

I only ask as having lived in London for 60 years there's always been immigrants and most Londoners don't have a problem, it's just the "new" arrivals from other parts of the country that seem bothered .
    very much this.
    its the provincial attitude of the shires that stinks, in London 99.9% really don't give toss where you are from. funny how racism seems to breed in areas where its nearly all white.
    Scotland is terrible IME wasn’t that long a go 2 friends of mine were up there for work staying in one of Glasgow’s best hotels, one ordered a drink at the bar, barman replied “and for your black friend” FFS!?

he was Asian! so he couldn’t even get his casual racist slur right!?
    Last edited by MrSmith; 20th March 2018 at 14:32.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    Off topic I know but what is BP?

the Bear Pit, a part of the forum where the the less enlightened go to say “i’m not racist but” and other stuff*

*possibly, i have never actually visited that part of the forum as it’s probably an exercise in futility.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    very much this.
    its the provincial attitude of the shires that stinks, in London 99.9% really don't give toss where you are from. funny how racism seems to breed in areas where its nearly all white.

?
    And you can't see how patronising and insulting that smug remark is...? Talk about generalisations.

And I speak as someone who has lived half his life in London and half in the 'provinces'....you get creeps everywhere, and nice people everywhere.
    Last edited by paskinner; 20th March 2018 at 14:42.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    And you can't see how patronising and insulting that smug remark is...? Talk about generalisations.

And I speak as someone who has lived half his life in London and half in the 'provinces'....you get creeps everywhere, and nice people everywhere.
    i’m also from the sticks, unfortunately i get reminded of the huge difference in attitude every time i go back, a generalisation that seems to ring true, i really wish it didn’t.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post

Very much this ^

Scotland is terrible IME wasn’t that long a go 2 friends of mine were up there for work staying in one of Glasgow’s best hotels, one ordered a drink at the bar, barman replied “and for your black friend” FFS!?
    There is 100% no way this happened in "one of Glasgow's best hotels".

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Many terrorist groups may be fundamentally un-Islamic in their actions, but they are driven in the name of Islam.

As to the effects of remarks, that depends on the person and the thickness of their skin
    I disagree

They are not 'driven' by Islam but have simply proclaimed an attachment to it that every true Muslim neither wants or needs. They will tell you that the actions of these people are not Islamic and they are going straight to hell.

Driven by Islam they are not.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Meanwhile....a list of the stolen watches may now be found in the L&F thread.
    93 Rolex's. At an average of around £5k each thats getting on for half a million! And they say crime doesn't pay.

93 Rolex's. At an average of around £5k each thats getting on for half a million! And they say crime doesn't pay.
    Let’s hope they are caught and in this instance the crime won’t pay.

Given the model numbers I think it will be much higher than that.

Master
    very much this.

he was Asian! so he couldn’t even get his casual racist slur right!?
    Bollox
    That didn't happen
    Not a chance

Master
    It was a conservative estimate. Someone could of course work out the value from the model numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Bollox
    That didn't happen
    Not a chance
    it did, what also happened was the change from surliness to benevolence from the staff at the desk once they read the name on the credit card when checking in (a well known old family firm across the central belt of Scotland) "Ah! Mr Xxxxx good to see you, how long you back for” (he is English with an English Accent but has a Scottish Name)
    admittedly this was 10 years ago, i expect things have changed since then, the staff are probably east european now anyway.

About £1500 more per watch do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by jalebi View Post
    The times used Londongrad in an article about Russian capital in London. The context fits the use of the term.

What was the context for using Londonstan in a thread about a jewelry store raid?
    Plenty more examples out there where media use 'Londongrad' in the negative sense to indicate the sheer number of Russians in the capital and that they feel comfortable here due to our soft touch laws etc hence I take it as an example of casual racism which stirs emotions, so if you take offense of one neologism (I am guessing on behalf of the community you do not belong to) why not take offense on behalf of the other?

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    That's not racist, both UK and Russia are predominately caucasian. Xenophobic would be a better word
    Not quite. Russophobia is a form of racism, a prejudice, negative feelings, dislikes and fears towards Russia and Russians as a race. It does't matter that Russians (predominantly) are Caucasians, it's a still a form of racism, very similar to another form - Anti-Semitism.

On the other hand, a prejudice, negative feelings, dislikes and fears towards Muslims is not a racism per se as it is directed toward religion rather than a any particular race, and one can argue that a better term for such affliction would be Islamophobia - prejudice towards Islam as religion and its followers.

As per my earlier post, suffix -Stan doesn't refer to a single race or religion, but stands for town or city in Persian, same as -Grad in Russian, so the strong feelings and foaming expressed and produced by some members in this tread earlier on should be, if not equal than at least comparable towards the use of another neologism. I am not holding my breath though, since virtue signalling, it seems, only works when the matter refers to the people with different genetic characteristics or a religion, and Russians as a race definitely do not deserve any, especially in the midst of current anti-Russian hysteria..
    Last edited by VDG; 20th March 2018 at 20:18.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Most of this hatred - defiance - insert chosen words- are based on fear from the other.
    Claiming anti Russian racism is ridiculous. The UK were among the countries in the front line during the Cold War and that association hasn’t disappeared.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Plenty more examples out there where media use 'Londongrad' in the negative sense to indicate the sheer number of Russians in the capital and that they feel comfortable here due to our soft touch laws etc hence I take it as an example of casual racism which stirs emotions, so if you take offense of one neologism (I am guessing on behalf of the community you do not belong to) why not take offense on behalf of the other?

Not quite. Russophobia is a form of racism, a prejudice, negative feelings, dislikes and fears towards Russia and Russians as a race. It does't matter that Russians (predominantly) are Caucasians, it's a still a form of racism, very similar to another form - Anti-Semitism.

On the other hand, a prejudice, negative feelings, dislikes and fears towards Muslims is not a racism per se as it is directed toward religion rather than a any particular race, and one can argue that a better term for such affliction would be Islamophobia - prejudice towards Islam as religion and its followers.

As per my earlier post, suffix -Stan doesn't refer to a single race or religion, but stands for town or city in Persian, same as -Grad in Russian, so the strong feelings and foaming expressed and produced by some members in this tread earlier on should be, if not equal than at least comparable towards the use of another neologism. I am not holding my breath though, since virtue signalling, it seems, only works when the matter refers to the people with different genetic characteristics or a religion, and Russians as a race definitely do not deserve any, especially in the midst of current anti-Russian hysteria..
    I must have missed the comment where someone posted about Londongrad. Perhaps you could point me in the right direction? Unless of course you're suggesting that I am disqualified from commenting on things posted here because of my failure to comment on some other article that I had no idea existed until you brought it up. Because that would be ridiculous.

I was also pleased to note that everyone is 'virtue signalling' rather than simply asking people not to make race related comments on a forum that's supposed to be about watches.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Brazen moped gang armed with 'Samurai swords' and sledgehammers ransack Regent Street watch shop in front of terrified Sunday shoppers

Thieves have raided Watches of Switzerland in Westminster, central London, this afternoon. Police remain at the scene in Regent Street, where the robbers were interrupted as they ransacked the store using knives, sledgehammers and a Samurai sword-style blade.

Absolutely awful....hope they are caught and banged up.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
    I must have missed the comment where someone posted about Londongrad. Perhaps you could point me in the right direction? Unless of course you're suggesting that I am disqualified from commenting on things posted here because of my failure to comment on some other article that I had no idea existed until you brought it up. Because that would be ridiculous.

I was also pleased to note that everyone is 'virtue signalling' rather than simply asking people not to make race related comments on a forum that's supposed to be about watches.
    Let's start from your last sentence. Which race related comments exactly you're referring to - please quote the original post to clarify.

Secondly, I've posted an example, where what used to be a respected broadsheet - the Times is using neologism Londongrad akin to Ally's use of Londonistan and suggested that Londongrad neologism should attract the same sort of comments as Londonistan, which were clearly not forthcoming, what was forthcoming are the demagogically charged excuses, like yours.

So, let me ask you, do you think Londongrad is a racially charged neologism - yes or no? And do you think Londonistan is a racially charged neologism - yes or no? And why?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Most of this hatred - defiance - insert chosen words- are based on fear from the other.
    Claiming anti Russian racism is ridiculous. The UK were among the countries in the front line during the Cold War and that association hasn’t disappeared.
    Well, let me ask you (and I know it's not the right place, but since you brought it up) why democratic Russia attract so much stick in comparison to communist one party China, who hack, meddle, annex South China Sea territories and steal IP left, right and centre?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    About £1500 more per watch do you think?
    OK. About £600k then.

WoS, Regent St raided

Because there has been hope. It was contained in 2 words, Perestroika and Glasnost.
    And because they didn’t deliver.
    China had a large following with Chairman Mao in the West leftists before the reality of the cultural revolution sinked in. Since then nobody has any reasonable expectation of democracy in China.
    But precisely because the Russians are mostly Caucasian, and mostly Christian, the hope in the West that a democracy grew from the ashes of the soviet era has been replaced by a defiance as great as the deception that hope did not deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by jalebi View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pv406 View Post
    +1.

It certainly has an effect.
    +1 this is a watch forum and watch talk is for watches

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Because there has been hope. It was contained in 2 words, Perestroika and Glasnost.
    And because they didn’t deliver.
    China had a large following with Chairman Mao in the West leftists before the reality of the cultural revolution sinked in. Since then nobody has any reasonable expectation of democracy in China.
    But precisely because the Russians are mostly Caucasian, and mostly Christian, the hope in the West that a democracy grew from the ashes of the soviet era has been replaced by a defiance as great as the deception that hope did not deliver.
    Oh, Perestroika and Glasnost delivered, but what didn't happen is an opportunity for the West to rape and pillage Russian natural resources with impunity. They've taken back control after US meddled in their elections in 1996 and installed drunk idiot Eltsin and hence you see the current hostilities. It's extremely young and fragile democracy which should be nourished and helped to develop in line with more matured ones, and not hounded, demonised and ostracised like we see at the moment.

There is an old Mongolian saying, if you squeeze Russia hard, the only things which come out of it are the tanks, planes and soldiers. That's exactly why Putin commanded 76% of the votes in the current election, the Western govts can no longer claim that their argument is with the Kremlin and not the Russian people. In 2018 the Kremlin is the Russian people and the Russian people are the Kremlin. It's time to talk about new geopolitical realities..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Let's start from your last sentence. Which race related comments exactly you're referring to - please quote the original post to clarify.

Secondly, I've posted an example, where what used to be a respected broadsheet - the Times is using neologism Londongrad akin to Ally's use of Londonistan and suggested that Londongrad neologism should attract the same sort of comments as Londonistan, which were clearly not forthcoming, what was forthcoming are the demagogically charged excuses, like yours.

So, let me ask you, do you think Londongrad is a racially charged neologism - yes or no? And do you think Londonistan is a racially charged neologism - yes or no? And why?
    Whats someone called who hates people that wear G-shocks?

I never knew Mongolians were so advanced

Craftsman

So, let me ask you, do you think Londongrad is a racially charged neologism - yes or no?

And do you think Londonistan is a racially charged neologism - yes or no? And why?
    To the extent that Russian is a race, sure. And if someone here uses that phrase to suggest a negative stereotype about Russian people I'll tell them that I don't think it's appropriate for this part of the forum.

I'm not quite sure why you're pretending to be entirely oblivious to context, but I will happily concede the point that the word 'Londonistan' is not inherently racist. Deliberately choosing that word to suggest why you think robberies typically happen in London, is.

To save you the time of writing a long response to explain that the original poster poster clearly had no intention of implying that immigrants commit more crime and it was a total coincidence they chose to use the word Londonistan in this context, don't bother, you won't convince me, or any one else I should imagine.

And now, I shall take my own advice and stop talking about this in watch talk!

Fair enough Oliver, I have no idea about the OP motivations or the thought process behind calling London Londonistan, exactly like the other members who nevertheless decided to be offended and rain on the Ally's post which is way too frequent nowadays.. I am sure we all have better things to do with our lives than argue politics in the WT.. Over and out
    Last edited by VDG; 21st March 2018 at 00:15.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Blimey what has this thread become...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Don't forget the "Dens".... Neasden, Willesden and Harlesden, real bandit country.
    And not forgetting “Nam’ as well.......TotteNam......., DagenNam..