closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lawn care advice

Lawn care advice

I had new lawn laid last year and with spring hopefully on it's wait want to maintain it.

It's already got a large yellow patch on it which is annoying. Beyond mowing and water it i haven't carried out any other maintenance.

I've been doing some googling. How does this sound for a weekly maintenance? Any other tips and additions pls add.

1) cut weekly not too short (I was last year) mulch the grass cuttings back into the lawn ( I was collecting it and disposing of)

2) Feed it this weekly using a spreader - feed it this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EverGreen-1...eywords=lawn+4

3 ) water in summer once a week? Or more often?

I haven't scarified it yet but to be honest am a little bit lost into when I should and if I should.

Any other advice? Thanks

I had a new lawn laid approx 3 years ago and the gardener recommended Westland After cut but said not to get the 3 day type. Other than this he really recommended a lawn weedkiller but at the appropriate time when the lawn was matured.

I had a few yellow patches (my fault I think) and he recommended a good raking (to almost bare) and then lawn feed. It has been fine since.

I did also get white clover but with raking and feed it was sorted.

Being a bit tight, I used a metal colander to spread the feed to ensure good coverage. Some feed spilt and it essentially burnt a hole in the lawn so care should be taken.

Cut it regularly but leave it longer. Put mower up at least two notches from the shortest.
    Mulch mow, means it might need cutting twice a week in peak season.
    Feed twice a year with a pro feed like Symbio.
    Top dress in the summer. Mixture of top soil and sharp sand with a little blood fish and bone mixed in.

Master
    Was thinking the bottom two on here, spread with some form of spreader.

http://www.bioorganicgarden.co.uk/pr...nd-treatments/

Use first time after taking all the thatch out from the grass. Progress to the summer stuff during the summer & also your fish & bone, sand & top soil mixtures.

Aldfort, do you have a specific mulch mower, or just a high setting on the grass that doesn’t cut too much off?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I have a company called Green Thumb do my lawns they come out 4 times a year and lay down any treatments. All i do is mow when it needs doing and water.

https://www.greenthumb.co.uk/

Master
    +1 for green thumb

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
    I have a company called Green Thumb do my lawns they come out 4 times a year and lay down any treatments. All i do is mow when it needs doing and water.

https://www.greenthumb.co.uk/
    They sound great just checked them out and used their on line measurer. £50 a treatment so very reasonable. Do you use any of their other programmes or just the 4 visits? .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    They sound great just checked them out and used their on line measurer. £50 a treatment so very reasonable. Do you use any of their other programmes or just the 4 visits? .
    I have the hollow tine and scarifying once every 2/3 years. Just realised been using them for 25+ years!!

Works out cheaper than buying your own lawn treatments
    Last edited by craig1912; 19th March 2018 at 07:24.

Brilliant I’ll give them a shout this week and get them in.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    No just the 4 treatments a year for me, no moss or weeds a very good service.

I'm sold. Much easier than me having to faff about and worry about scorching the grass etc. I'll stick to mowing and let these guys do the rest.

Hi,

We also had a new lawn laid last year and i hve been a little underwhelmed with it's performance. We called on Green Thumb for an assessment and the guy said that it is very
    common in new lawns that they suffer with soil compaction. he recommended Hollow Tine Aeration to begin with ( I think it was around £40) and then treatments therafter.

We are going to get them in, just as soon as it stops snowing and the ground thaws a bit!!

John

I've booked them in for the initial assessment and quote this Wednesday. Have to say the pricing seems very reasonable so far.

Master
    Hmm this is very interesting. My lawn has started looking very sorry for itself probably on the back of some over-eager mowing when I first moved in. Plenty of moss, weeds etc.

Can these guys help with crappy lawns like mine, or is their best work done on preventative measures for new (or near new) lawns?

Thanks for any advice

No, no, no don't treat it so often. Don't water it. The problem with watering it is that it does not then send the roots deep in search of water, result: feeble lawn. If you absolutely have to water it then completely soak it, drown it, but don't keep fiddling with it. So it goes a bit yellow? It'll look like everyone else's and go green again when it rains.

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy9876 View Post
    Hi,

We also had a new lawn laid last year and i hve been a little underwhelmed with it's performance. We called on Green Thumb for an assessment and the guy said that it is very
    common in new lawns that they suffer with soil compaction. he recommended Hollow Tine Aeration to begin with ( I think it was around £40) and then treatments therafter.

We are going to get them in, just as soon as it stops snowing and the ground thaws a bit!!

John
    Hang on, hang on, this is like someone looking at a car from the front on going "the tracking's a bit out". Brilliant, don't know why the garages need machines and lasers and all when you could just look at it and declare whether it's right or not. They've probably bought a new aerator they want to get some money back on.

Indeed. How would a new learn get compacted so quickly. Buy a bag of earthworms instead. Also worth checking for chafer grubs and wine veevils any lawn will be enfeebled if the buggers are eating the roots..

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    No, no, no don't treat it so often. Don't water it. The problem with watering it is that it does not then send the roots deep in search of water, result: feeble lawn. If you absolutely have to water it then completely soak it, drown it, but don't keep fiddling with it. So it goes a bit yellow? It'll look like everyone else's and go green again when it rains.
    Damn it I was watering it every evening in the height of summer. Lesson learned.

Master
    Hollow tine aeration is normally not done that often so on a new lawn I doubt it is required unless there has been a lot of walking on it. You can just use a garden fork to open up gaps and brush in sandy soil to improve drainage.