closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My handmade watch project.

Journeyman
    It must have taken a lot of time, effort and patience, well done.

That is amazing. Thanks for sharing!

Journeyman
    Thank you very much guys for your support, I really appreciate it. It was quite challenging for me to get to this point, but I feel proud that I managed to create this watch.
    If you are interested, here are a couple of additional pictures.

This is a more presentable picture of the watch.

Handmade leather strap. (I used ostrich leather for this one)

The wooden presentation box I made for the watch. (Still uncomplete)

I used my manual milling machine to engrave the name plate. (Letters are 0.90 mm in height)

This is what the mainaplte looks like during the machining process. (Made it using my manual mill)

Dial during the machining process. (Made it using my manual mill)

Now that's an introduction! I'm looking forward to your updates on this project.

Superb David. Ignore what I wrote earlier about polishing further the hour wheel; it looks perfect in that picture.

Great post... well done!

Well done, best introductory post ever!

I keep coming back to this thread, I'm a little bit in awe of what you've done.

Love the photo of the dial being made, you can really see the work that has gone into it.

Craftsman
    Absolutely stunning, well done!

Apprentice
    Very impressive work. The only negative for me is that it will be difficult to tell the time from a glance. Other than that everything looks great.

Well Done
    Great First Post
    Total Admiration for you.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Wow, that is just tremendous! What an achievement. I can't conceive of how much talent that takes, it is so far from anything I could achieve. Brilliant stuff.

Journeyman
    Again, thank you very much for all your kind words and support. I really appreciate it.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Goridar View Post
    Very impressive work. The only negative for me is that it will be difficult to tell the time from a glance. Other than that everything looks great.
    Thank you. Yes, at first glance it's not easy, take a bit of getting use to it. The chapter ring is quite narrow so each drilled holes that represents the hours are only 0.50mm in diameter
    but I couldn't really drill large holes because I would have run out of space. :)

Journeyman
    Great looking watch, Well done! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Amazing...!

Master
    Great work, and I think it's a stunning looking watch. At first I also wasn't sure about the centre dial, but think it gives it an industrial edge, which I quite like.

Craftsman
    Simply wow!!!

Where can I get one?

Master
    What a cracking first post, and what a lovely looking watch you've created too!

Journeyman
    Thank you very much guys, I really appreciate your support. I will post a couple of new pictures in the coming days.

Journeyman
    Hi everyone,

If you guys are interested here is a short video of my handmade movement in action. :-)
    Sorry for the bad pictures quality and for the yellowish colors, but I guess the lighting condition was terrible when I took the video.
    The finishing on the movement isn't 100%, I'm still working on improving it.

You are my hero. For me, this is the dream project and i congratulate you. Very impressive.

Master
    David, that is simply awesome.

What a introduction, thank you for posting.

Dave

Whilst I don’t particularly like the dial (personal opinion), I’m totally blown away by your watch and especially your skills in building such a high quality watch.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

Craftsman
    Great first post David!! You must be very proud of the finished piece, really like the dial and think it would also look great as a day date too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    You are my hero. For me, this is the dream project and i congratulate you. Very impressive.
    Thank you, I appreciate it.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Whilst I don’t particularly like the dial (personal opinion), I’m totally blown away by your watch and especially your skills in building such a high quality watch.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.
    Thank you very much, I really appreciate your kind words. By the way, I am working on a new very simple dial design, hope you'll like this one better! :)
    If you are interested here is a quick video of it at its early stages.
    The base will be black while the stainless steel insert will remain the same except each recess will be filled up with black paint in order to create a bit more contrast.

Quite unbelievable that you've achieved what many big manufacturers haven't. Well done!

Superb post David.
    I take my hat off to you for even tempting such a project let alone a great looking end project

Blog Entries
    Lovely stuff David, for me everything about the watch works, the complete package looks instantly good. All to often it's one or the other, but in your case movement and design work really well.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Tell you what, David.

I have a small home lathe/mill and i can full appreciate what you must have gone through to make those parts.

Your patience must know no boundaries!

Craftsman
    Brilliant, well done! Look forward to reading more posts from you!

Journeyman
    Thank you very much guys, I'm really glad that you like my work.

I forgot to add this picture in my previous post... Just a quick 3d render of the new dial that I'm working on. The render isn't the best but at least you can see how it will look, and you can compare it with my current dial design.
    It's a pretty simple design, but I think it could look really nice with my stainless case and hands.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by EchoSevenNine View Post
    Tell you what, David.

I have a small home lathe/mill and i can full appreciate what you must have gone through to make those parts.

Your patience must know no boundaries!
    Thank you. Yes, it was quite changeling to make such small components on a manual lathe and mill. It took quite a lot of trial and error to work everything out.
    The biggest challenge was obviously the movement, specifically the mainplate and other crucial components that required extreme precision.
    Sometimes it's quite frustrating, especially when you have to start over for the 15th time, and you certainly need a lot of patient but I think it's all worth it at the end.
    Last edited by David L.; 28th March 2018 at 16:53.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Lovely stuff David, for me everything about the watch works, the complete package looks instantly good. All to often it's one or the other, but in your case movement and design work really well.
    Thank you very much, I'm really glad that you feel that way.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    Thank you very much guys, I'm really glad that you like my work.

I forgot to add this picture in my previous post... Just a quick 3d render of the new dial that I'm working on. The render isn't the best but at least you can see how it will look, and you can compare it with my current dial design.
    It's a pretty simple design, but I think it could look really nice with my stainless case and hands.

Hats off to your considerable skillset!
    Personal taste leans towards the current dial, to my eye looks more unique and the slimmer insert looks cleaner

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by adz313 View Post
    Hats off to your considerable skillset!
    Personal taste leans towards the current dial, to my eye looks more unique and the slimmer insert looks cleaner
    Thank you very much, and sorry for the late reply but these past couple of weeks have been super busy. :-)
    If you are interested I managed to produce the new prototype dial. Here is a picture of it. I decided to lose my logo in order to have a cleaner layout.
    The overall appearance of the dial is pretty simple but I kind of like how it turned out, I think it goes well with the rest of the watch.
    Please let me know what you think of it.

I think you need to put your name plaque back on (although possibly a little smaller); having made such an outstanding watch, you really should be shouting about it. The sterile dial is way too low key for such an achievement!

Journeyman
    I think you need to put your name plaque back on (although possibly a little smaller); having made such an outstanding watch, you really should be shouting about it. The sterile dial is way too low key for such an achievement!
    Thank you Dave for your kind words. This is just a prototype dial at this stage, so nothing is finalized. You might be right, I should put the plaque back, although make it smaller is a bit problematic.
    On my other dial the letters on the plaque are 0.90mm in height, so there isn't much room to go smaller. :-) (maybe I could go down to 0.70mm) I'll see what I can come up with.
    Thanks again for your feedback.

I thought that may be an issue; the other alternative is a smaller surname!

I like the simplicity of the dial and can’t (to my untrained eye) see anywhere it could be improved.

Journeyman
    I thought that may be an issue; the other alternative is a smaller surname!

I like the simplicity of the dial and can’t (to my untrained eye) see anywhere it could be improved.
    Thanks again. Yeah, a shorter surname would be convenient. :-)
    Anyhow, I'll make a new plaque with smaller letters and see how it looks.

That's what I call engineering skills! Very, very impressive. I like it a lot. I also agree that you should try to fit your name plate on.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    That's what I call engineering skills! Very, very impressive. I like it a lot. I also agree that you should try to fit your name plate on.
    Thank you very much. Glad you like it. Yeah, I'll infidelity make a new version with the name plate.

That looks very nice indeed and agree with others about the need of some sort of name on dial. Maybe smaller typeface if possible or just Your surname would look good as would a logo made up of D & L

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    That looks very nice indeed and agree with others about the need of some sort of name on dial. Maybe smaller typeface if possible or just Your surname would look good as would a logo made up of D & L

Fantastic work there OP! I agree with the above re a logo made from your initials. Reading this thread immediately reminded me of this .
    F.T.F.A.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Thank you very much. I'm working on designing a logo that could be a bit smaller then using my surname.

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    Thank you very much. I'm working on designing a logo that could be a bit smaller then using my surname.
    Perhaps you could just use your surname?

I think it would work just as well if not better and save a reasonable amount of space. That, with a smaller font should do it but keep the screws though.

Journeyman
    Perhaps you could just use your surname?

I think it would work just as well if not better and save a reasonable amount of space. That, with a smaller font should do it but keep the screws though.
    Yeah, that could work. I can make a roughly 25% smaller version, with a letter size of 0.70mm. :-)

More amazing work, thanks for posting.

Personally I still prefer the original dial. I hope you don’t mind as they both look great. The hands on the new one are very nice.

‘Löwinger’ would be a great brand name for a high end watch, all sorts of German/Swiss high end connotations, redolent of generations of skilled watchmaking pioneers, living in little valley somewhere, passing their expertise down through the generations.

‘The movement has been finished with Löwinger decoration’...’the highly accurate Löwinger escapement’...’benefits from 15-day Löwinger triple-barrel mainsprings’.

I may have overdone the coffee this afternoon. The work really does look superb though.

Master
    Lovely minimalist designs here. You have skills and taste, sir.