closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What’s your least favourite watch brand ?

Oris and Cartier.

Master
    I dislike AP Watches.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    You have to be a very sad and insular person to hate a brand. If you don't like their styling or marketing then that's fine, but to hate something I can only assume that the brand has committed some kind of personal attack against you.
    No mention of hate on the first post. This is a friendly place to discuss watches and have some fun.

Master
    Faux 'prestigious' Swiss brands like Baume & Mercier, Raymond Weil, Maurice Lacroix, Certina that are total rip-offs, lucky to even get an ETA movement as most of the money has gone on marketing
    Last edited by J J Carter; 18th March 2018 at 14:57.

I'd say that Panerai is the worst for taking advantage of their customers and giving very little in return and while I don't hate them I will not buy another.

Don't hate anything and would consider most stuff.

My wife loves her (much reviled on here) Gucci's even though she could have most stuff if she wanted it.

I actually like the Corum's too as they look so different.

I guess if I had to mention a brand I usually overlook it is Oris because the designs (to me) just look wrong or are a bit boring.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Bremont even though I quite like the Supermarine, I don't think I would ever buy one, if that makes any sense.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I don't hate brands.....I dislike designs though,but that doesn't rule an entire brand.
    For instance,I am not generally attracted to Breitling as I find them to be generally over fussy and bling.However, I really like the Super Ocean Heritage....so much so I own one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    No mention of hate on the first post. This is a friendly place to discuss watches and have some fun.
    I know, just saying.
    I also forgot to add, I dislike Rolex mainly because of their restrictive supply policy but from an aesthetic perspective I dislike Richard Mille, Hublot and Jacob and Co.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    The brand is everything the watch stands for in the eyes of the person who buys it (or doesn’t). If only the look matters to you, fair enough; not everyone feels that way. None of the watch companies do.

I think you interpreted it that way. Actually it asked which brands you don’t like, wouldn’t wear or take an interest in.

Can I ask, by who? I’ve never noticed that once on this forum.
    The OP's original question:
    "you know that brand that you really dislike .the one that doesn’t have a model you would wear in the entire collection , the one that has a display of 30-40 watches at your local watch boutique that you won’t spend more than 3 seconds looking at"

I think it was pretty obvious what was being asked. What tickles one's fancy when they walk past the watch window? Not how (academic) marketing strategies and the like can colour your perception of a brand. That is not the same thing as objectively looking a range of watch for its qualities, so far as the subjectivity of taste will allow.

I think Tag Heuer is a pretty 'hollow' brand. But they make some ok looking watches, IMO, so whilst I'll never buy one they can't be my "least favourite watch brand". Is it relevant that I think it is shame they are run by LVMH when I think some of their Heuer reissues look OK?

The earlier comment I responded to was just another tedious Rolex whinge about current supply issues and we have enough daily threads devoted to that. If someone thinks the Submariner, for example, is a boring passe watch, fair enough. If they think that because they aren't readily available, well, that is being ignorant of literally ALL of it's qualities as a watch, and all of their other watches(!) and the brand's ability to make watches people find appealing (and no, desirability is not all down to supply an demand games).

Graham and SevenFriday.

Craftsman
    It’s always changing! At the moment, really appreciating my new Marathon. Never thought I’d say that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Bremont....not that that I actually dislike them, but they seem so overpriced for something that looks so ordinary.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    For instance,I am not generally attracted to Breitling as I find them to be generally over fussy and bling.However, I really like the Super Ocean Heritage....so much so I own one.
    +1
    Love the heritage although I wonder if most Breitling fans disliked it as it is everything the typical Breitling isn't in terms of design. Was it a commercial flop?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I have never seen the attraction of Rado... then they produced the Captain Cook and piqued my interest

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Routers View Post
    Invicta is the stand out for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Rolex by design and everything that goes with it.

the boxes,papers,anchors,numbers,terminology,smugness, shop windows,obsession,greed, but most of all endless discussions on the same theme.
    +1

Although some of the older bubble backs are very nice.
    Last edited by Rmdf1960; 18th March 2018 at 16:45.

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Faux 'prestigious' Swiss brands like Baume & Mercier, Raymond Weil, Maurice Lacroix, Certina that are total rip-offs, lucky to even get an ETA movement as most of the money has gone on marketing
    Not sure how Certina belongs on this list?

For me its the excessively complex / over jeweled type watches;

Jaquet Droz, Harry Winston, Devon, MFB, Richard Mille...

Some of these brands may push boundaries but the vast majority of items in those ranges are eyesores to me.

All fashion brands
    Most cheapo brands like, Invicta, Sekonda, although Timex escapes my disdain.
    Not keen on Tag, IWC, or Bell and Ross.
    If Hublot or Richard Mille were free I wouldn't take one.

Easy, Breitling enough said...

Master
    Breitling, Tag, both hideous.

Squaaaaaleh, it’s a shidder!

So says Archie, which is a pity as I really like the 1521.

What’s your least favourite watch brand ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dent99 View Post
    I think it was pretty obvious what was being asked. What tickles one's fancy when they walk past the watch window? Not how (academic) marketing strategies and the like can colour your perception of a brand. That is not the same thing as objectively looking a range of watch for its qualities, so far as the subjectivity of taste will allow.
    I can see your point of view, and I certainly share some of the weariness with discussions about Rolex ADs, availability, stickers etc. I just think very few people can separate their feelings about the brand from their reaction to the look of a watch - maybe you are an exception, if so, fair enough.

There have been quite a few comments about not liking ‘fashion brands’, which to me illustrates my point. Cartier, Tiffany, Dunhill, Chanel and more recently Gucci, as someone mentioned, could all have been regarded as fashion brands at one time, but aren’t generally lumped with Armani, Calvin Klein etc. these days, and I don’t think that is just down to the styling.

FWIW G-Shocks can never hold my attention for more than a second.

Craftsman
    Steinshart and Invicta for the obvious reasons.

Blog Entries
    In a minority I know but I just don't 'get' Tudor. But I like Rolex which makes it weird. Don't even know why.

I’ll refine the question - given any current watch from a manufacturer to wear for free for a year, is there a brand you would say no to?

My first reaction would be Tag Heuer and Breitling, both for their aesthetic and what their brand image conveys.

Quote Originally Posted by ollipekka View Post
    Steinshart and Invicta for the obvious reasons.
    Whats the obvious reason for Steinhart?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonConnell View Post
    I’ll refine the question - given any current watch from a manufacturer to wear for free for a year, is there a brand you would say no to?

My first reaction would be Tag Heuer and Breitling, both for their aesthetic and what their brand image conveys.
    No to:

Graham
    U-Boat
    Ball

D

I don't think I've ever seen a Bremont that I would want.

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    No to:

Graham
    U-Boat
    Ball

D

ugh, that is a grim trio alright.

Master
    Hublot

The Art of Fusion...? I suppose Chavvy footballers don’t actually notice the lack of attention to detail like the “H” design screws being all over the place

Breitling for me. Cant think is a single one I like.

Master
    Tag. I’d never have one.

In no particular order, Hublot, Corum, U-Boat and Tag.
    J

Master

What’s your least favourite watch brand ?

There’s ugly watches in every brands collections, for me corum are pretty nasty! U boats are up there too.

Last edited by fordystar; 18th March 2018 at 22:55.

U-Boat. I've never seen anything of theirs that was remotely attractive to me. Graham and Ball watches are close contenders too.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Journeyman
    When a friend says about Michael Kors I just cringe, Cartier do nothing for me.

I don't buy brands and I don't hate brands.

I buy watches I like.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

It is Tag Heuer, Hublot, AP and Invicta for me.

Can’t see myself owning a Bremont or a Tudor (although I like a few Bremonts but they all seem to be too big for my tastes)

Journeyman

Breitling

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Breitling for me. Cant think is a single one I like.
    Quite agree Velorum, Breitlings all seem a bit blingy and fussy for me.

Craftsman
    Watches with hideous Cyclops, especially Rolex date models..... perfectly good watches ruined for no good reason.

Master
    There are many more watches i don’t like than like. I don’t really discriminate by brand...but if I had to choose it would be graham and corum

Other than the fashion brands, the ones that leave me coldest are Bremont and Hublot.

Why be concerned about the branding so much? Yes resale is something to take into account but otherwise just buy what you like.
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 19th March 2018 at 10:46.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post
    Watches with hideous Cyclops, especially Rolex date models..... perfectly good watches ruined for no good reason.
    Except for magnification, yeah pointless ;)

Journeyman
    I don’t like (or necessarily dislike) anything about Bremont. I like Rolex watches but I detest the sycophancy, hype and stigma that surrounds the brand. I very much like Tudor due to the lack of these aspects.

Craftsman
    I dont hate any brand and most I have seen something I like. To date I haven't seen anything from Bremont or Grand Seiko that interest me. I have to admit to never seeing a Grand Seiko in the metal though, so could easily be swayed.

Heres a thing.....my three most expensive watchs are a Breitling, aTAG and a smart watch

Master
    Such a negative thread concept... wouldn’t it have been more productive to discuss the models which have elements of design that grab you rather than turn you off?
    Cant think of anything beneficial by talking about brands which you find unappealing mostly or in totality.

Master
    How can anyone "hate" Omega watches as a whole?
    If there is a watch house with a more diverse back-catalogue please point me to them... from classic dress watches of the 50's and 60's, the risky off-the-wall designs in the 70's, bread-and-butter (ok, mainly boring) 80's models, market leading 1990's stuff with the modern Constellation and Seamaster being introduced and right up to the current offerings which I reckon cover all bases - not to mention the amazing "Museum" pieces.

If there was one brand I expected not to see on this list it's Omega. The one brand I thought had something for everybody regardless of taste or budget.

Anyway, I digress. Mine is Rotary (despite owning a couple). Once an absolute powerhouse in the Watch industry, now a bit of a running joke.

A British company with Swiss heritage, but made in China and nicking designs from all over the world.
    Last edited by kevkojak; 19th March 2018 at 16:36.